No Time to Die on Blu-ray

Comments

Have to say the Special Features lately for the Bond disc's are VERY POOR compared to what we have had in the past.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    The version I bought was the DVD and that is probably the most lackluster DVD that I've bought.
    The backside of the package was not even translated to Swedish (not an issue for me personally) but many want to read on the back what the film is about on their own language preferably.
    It was just a cheap packaging too. I don't know, it feels like the least possible effort was done.

They did not even have the film on sale on the most place. I found it in a gas station on a empty shelf, this was after all the most seen film in Sweden last year.
    It all feels very strange indeed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    There was one shop I went to this weekend that had SP selling for a whopping $35! I walked in, found its stand, looked at the tag, scoffed and left the store as quickly as I had entered, then went elsewhere to get it for almost twenty bucks less.

The main thought running through my head at this time was "what am I paying $35 dollars for? There's no big documentary on it, I've seen all but one of the features and there's no commentary. Is this a con"? Rubbish.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    $35 is way too much, glad you didn't pay that price. I even feel dumb for spending $20 on the steelbook, considering how bland it looks.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I payed $17 bucks for the Blu-Ray/Digital version. Not bad considering I can stream the movie on my laptop now for when I'm on the go or trapped in a villain's lair. :p
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For me, blu-rays are still worth it, and always will be, even in the digital age. Nothing beats the picture quality, booming audio and style of the blu-ray format in my eyes. I have digital copies of all my blu-rays on my computer, but I never watch them even when I'd like to because the experience feels so much better on blu-ray. Of course, the big problem with that is I'm only home for a short time during the weekend and don't get much of a chance to watch films. It's still worth the wait for me, though.

Coming up, I want to run through the Bourne films and November Man again, but first, SP gets the honors.
    As I've got older I've become less worried about special features. With a Bond Blu Ray in particular, I'm happy to get a great looking transfer...and it seems they have done that.

However, like others, I am disappointed about the absence of a directors commentary, especially as Mendes did one for SF.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    What I really miss are those "Inside of..." Features. Narrated by Patrick MacNee.
    Me too. Those were the best Bond documentaries anyone could ask for.
  • How long will this complaining about the "SPECTRE" home entertainment release go on?

Don't forget that many of us in here have been downloading the film illegally, because they couldn't wait a bit longer to see a film that they already saw in cinema. Illegal downloading IS a huge problem, even for Fox Home Entertainment. So I can at least slightly understand why they don't give a rat's ass about giving 'us' a more extensive Bluray/DVD release.

Moreover I loved the official videoblogs from last year that everyone could check on YouTube. But also for those blogs the common opinion was "WTF, is this all we get?!?!" And that common opinion comes from 'us' who prepare even more extensive shooting schedules, and who do such extensive research on the production that whatever blog or documentary on a DVD will never satisfy us.

Bottomline: We can be such a bunch of spoiled moaners nowadays. In all honesty.....it makes me sad sometimes. PS: I love the steelbook design!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think it's unreasonable to desire a commentary track by a director that puts a lot of thinking into his films, a commentary that would have given us a greater insight into the filmmaking process. Instead, we only got things we could literally go on YouTube and watch. Why the disc space was wasted on the video blogs, I'll have no idea, unless Fox enjoy the idea of flushing away money.

We're not asking the world here. In days of old it was nice to get a look behind the scenes of these amazing films, to see how people came together to bring it all to life. It's a fascinating process of logistics and communication, but with the last few releases, we've missed out on all of that. Because we all spend so much time following Bond news, it's even more important that we get looks behind the scenes, because we are the ones with a genuine interest in it. You'd think that for all we've done as an audience to keep Bond at a consistent level of nice returns, we'd get rewarded with something.

And it makes me sad sometimes when releases like this with nothing to them but the film itself sell for $35 some places. What's all that cash paying for, exactly? That'd be a worthy price if the package contained the great content we used to get, but those days, for whatever reason, are far behind us.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    @Gustav_Graves , at some point you must acknowledge that you are on EON's payroll.

Was about to post the exact same thing. His reasoning validates no excuse for EoN putting out such a disappointing home releases product.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves , at some point you must acknowledge that you are on EON's payroll.

Was about to post the exact same thing. His reasoning validates no excuse for EoN putting out such a disappointing home releases product.

I agree with you on that one.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It really seems to be a bare minimum release. No comintaries these days seems
    an incredible omission.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 11,119
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't think it's unreasonable to desire a commentary track by a director that puts a lot of thinking into his films, a commentary that would have given us a greater insight into the filmmaking process. Instead, we only got things we could literally go on YouTube and watch. Why the disc space was wasted on the video blogs, I'll have no idea, unless Fox enjoy the idea of flushing away money.

We're not asking the world here. In days of old it was nice to get a look behind the scenes of these amazing films, to see how people came together to bring it all to life. It's a fascinating process of logistics and communication, but with the last few releases, we've missed out on all of that. Because we all spend so much time following Bond news, it's even more important that we get looks behind the scenes, because we are the ones with a genuine interest in it. You'd think that for all we've done as an audience to keep Bond at a consistent level of nice returns, we'd get rewarded with something.

And it makes me sad sometimes when releases like this with nothing to them but the film itself sell for $35 some places. What's all that cash paying for, exactly? That'd be a worthy price if the package contained the great content we used to get, but those days, for whatever reason, are far behind us.

I fully agree. But do people really need to repeat the same for weeks and weeks? I find that unnecessary.

If only. My current job isn't very exciting.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    [That said youre probably right. If we actually went and did this EON would furnish the mods with a cupful of polonium to shut me up once and for all; and probably you as well as an accessory to the heinous crime of fans discussing something they are passionate about without getting permission from EON's lawyers - despite over the years us having more than paid for David G and Gregg's school fees and Babs having her bikini line waxed.

Isn't it a lovely thought that Eon would rate me important enough to be trusted with such an action, or indeed rated you high enough to consider you to be a genuine threat to their business model.

I suppose we can live our self indulgent fantasies. Or continue to be big fish in a little pond throwing our weight around behind a keyboard.

;)
    Truth to tell, the idea of a fan's commentary is an excellent one. Two fans, one pro and one anti clashing over each of the Bond films. As long as it was witty and intelligent it would be excellent. Won't happen, but a great idea.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    What I really miss are those "Inside of..." Features. Narrated by Patrick MacNee.
    And who doesn´t miss them?

Seems like the waning involvement of MGW in the process could possibly have something to do with the lack of documentaries. He seemed to be featured in most of the narrated featurettes.

I just think there's no budget or planning for the documentaries/special features at all on the front end. That time or effort is probably spent on making the short promos for youtube. It's not the real nitty gritty that all of us would be interested in like in the past making ofs. It's more like bubble gum to hook the masses into coming to the film, which is fine. It'd be nice to have the audio commentary and 1 hr long making of with cast, director, Babs, MGW, behind the scenes, special effects guys, etc.

I would agree that the complaining about lack of special features might not be justified, but they have set a precedent in the past of providing some pretty damn good special features. When you start taking that away, it feels like you are paying the same for an inferior product. Granted, I don't have to keep buying the films if I feel they are ripping me off. That's not going to happen though, because I keep buying every new Bond on Bluray so I'll just keep on hoping the films get re-released with a Special Super Collector's Edition chocked full of special features and commentaries.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

I fully agree. But do people really need to repeat the same for weeks and weeks? I find that unnecessary.

I agree entirely. Repeating the same thing over and over gets tedious very quickly:
    You know, I'm certainly a minority, but I love the steelbook. It's simple & stylish.
    Let's unbox the "SPECTRE" steelbook, and then we discover that it's actually one of the nicest designed steelbooks from the Bond series! It's simply, stylish
    I for instance look forward to complete my beautiful shiny steelbook quadrilogy of Daniel Craig with another fine entry that is titled "SPECTRE". A steelbook that is simple, yet stylish in design
    I love the steelbook design!

The thread is titled 'SP on bluray' not 'SP on bluray blinkered adulation' so I think others are just as entitled to repeat their views as you are at how happy you are at being fed scraps from EON's table.

And I think valid criticisms with the paucity of the content are rather more interesting to read than people saying 'Look at the shiny thing. Thank you EON for your generosity' and then posting a film of them opening their Amazon box (why do people do this?)

Anyway as people have said above a documentary at the level of the Patrick Macnee ones would be amazing but I can't see that ever happening again. But the very least we should have got is a release to match SF with a directors commentary where Mendes sits down and rationalises some of the strange decisions he made here.
    NicNac wrote: »
    [That said youre probably right. If we actually went and did this EON would furnish the mods with a cupful of polonium to shut me up once and for all; and probably you as well as an accessory to the heinous crime of fans discussing something they are passionate about without getting permission from EON's lawyers - despite over the years us having more than paid for David G and Gregg's school fees and Babs having her bikini line waxed.

Isn't it a lovely thought that Eon would rate me important enough to be trusted with such an action, or indeed rated you high enough to consider you to be a genuine threat to their business model.

I suppose we can live our self indulgent fantasies. Or continue to be big fish in a little pond throwing our weight around behind a keyboard.

Well that's what I would have thought. But if us posting the odd picture on here is enough for them to wet their knickers that the whole empire might come crumbling down who knows?
    NicNac wrote: »
    Truth to tell, the idea of a fan's commentary is an excellent one. Two fans, one pro and one anti clashing over each of the Bond films. As long as it was witty and intelligent it would be excellent. Won't happen, but a great idea.

Original idea Sir but you forget you are dealing with EON here who only understand the term 'bare bones release' when producing DVDs.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I remember the days when you waited for 5 years to see a film on TV, and if you missed it you were screwed and had to wait five more years.

Youngsters today don't know they're born ;-)..Suppose that's why I'm happy with my blu ray copy of the film. It's like a big fat indulgence just to own the film after 5 months of release.

However, in principle I do agree with you all about the poor dvd/blu ray treatment of the world's greatest franchise. We should celebrate it in greater style.
    I remember those days too.

One thing they do give us plenty of are these on set, behind the scenes videoblogs, and those hold no interest to me whatsoever. I can't get through two minutes of those. A sad substitute for our MacNee docs.

Very true. Just footage of Mendes dancing around on set after blowing up half the budget or interviews with actors with a publicity guy just out of shot making sure they say nothing controversial leave me rather cold.

I guess the advantage the MacNee docs had was the passage of time before they were made. Personally I could live with the DVD not being released for a year giving someone time to put together a decent package. I saw the film 5 times in the last 4 months so I can wait a bit.

I guess in their defence this immediacy is because if they dont release it then people will just download it.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    The difference is that the documentaries were made by a Bond fan so unless he does it for the recent releases, or other prominent fans / documentary makers step up I'm afraid they will never be made
    w2bond wrote: »
    The difference is that the documentaries were made by a Bond fan so unless he does it for the recent releases, or other prominent fans / documentary makers step up I'm afraid they will never be made

And the most fundamental point: they cost money to make.

Whereas just paying someone minimum wage to copy and paste a few vlogs from youtube is effectively free.

And we know from the 50th box set extras EON have no desire to spend a bit of money to make something decent when they can fob us off with regurgitated filler.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed

And the most fundamental point: they cost money to make.

Whereas just paying someone minimum wage to copy and paste a few vlogs from youtube is effectively free.

And we know from the 50th box set extras EON have no desire to spend a bit of money to make something decent when they can fob us off with regurgitated filler.

Yep, and also people buy it anyway special features or not. Vlogs work for todays ADHD generation.

• RC7RC7
    Vlogs work for todays ADHD generation.

That's your problem right there. Everything is about vapid consumption, preferably as quickly and as cost effectively as possible.
  • NicNac wrote: »
    I remember the days when you waited for 5 years to see a film on TV, and if you missed it you were screwed and had to wait five more years.

Youngsters today don't know they're born ;-)..Suppose that's why I'm happy with my blu ray copy of the film. It's like a big fat indulgence just to own the film after 5 months of release.

Hear hear ;-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's not about being spoiled when a lot of us are shocked that the blu-ray release is lacking features that nearly every big home video release has: commentaries and proper special features, something clearly expected from a series that has been going strong for 50 years plus. It's now considered "spoiled" to want a commentary and more than ten minutes of creative thought put into the cover? If so, then I'm most certainly spoiled.
    I would suggest that us Bond fans are the very opposite of spoiled given the pathetic DVD releases we've had over the last 10 years since the CR special edition.

We are Oliver Twist compared to other franchises.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    I think it's fair to say as a fan base we are underserved. If you've got money coming out of your arse, or have nothing else in your life to pay for, like a mortgage, or a car, or kids, then there's a lot expensive Bond stuff you can wax your money on. It's all well and good flogging Spectre branded champagne at £150 a bottle, but your kid on the street has very little outlet for their fandom. I don't even see the corgi vehicles any more. I realise they are pitching their 'brand' at a specific market, but it basically means there are those who can indulge their passion because they're rolling in it and the rest are left scratching around for what they can get. It's only in the last 5-10 years of work that I've been able to part with some significant cash, but I don't really want to do that. I already feel like we pay top dollar for the basics. Give the gaming rights to a decent developer and I can spend £50 on something that'll keep me happy for years to come. I'm still playing GE 64 and it's nearly 20 bloody years old.

EDIT: And as if by magic, just half an hour ago, the official Bond FB page makes my point for me.

http://www.007db5.com/

A 1:8 scale DB5 at the special price of £1299.

Where's the stuff for your 10 year old who loves all things Bond, other than a piss-poor sticker album?

Stop your f**king moaning @RC7 and look at this:

https://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=11917&t=mi6&s=news

Corgi are pulling out all the stops once again so you've got nothing to complain about.

We'll ignore the fact it's already 51 years since TB. Roll on 2020 for the GE 25th anniversary repackaging of the DB5.

Yes we really are spoiled.
    Another DB5 from Corgi?!!!! Wow!!! :-q