The June 2016 UK Referendum on EU Membership: [UPDATE] What kind of BREXIT do YOU want?

DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
edited January 2017 in General Discussion Posts: 17,728
UK-EU-referendum-2017.jpg

I thought that as this is a major issue for the United Kingdom in Europe I would start this thread to try to get some indication of how UK members of this community intend to vote in the EU Referendum scheduled for Thursday 23 June 2016.

So basically - are you going to vote IN or OUT, YES or NO to the UK being a member of the European Union (EU)?

I'm pretty sure I'm voting for LEAVE at the present time.

What will the referendum question be?

The referendum question will be: Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    IN

If Britain drops out, it's either the beginning of the collapse of the European Union, or the beginning of the collapse of Britain. I want neither. The last thing we need, is to crumble apart again into tiny political morsels.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    @DarthDimi and myself are homorary members of the UK, so we are able to cast our votes.

Just get out of that evil scheme. Then get out of Nato and the UN while you are at it.
  • OUT

I want this country to be able to make our own laws and control our borders. Immigration is, and has been for the last 15 years, at totally undesirable and unsustainable levels, and the only way we can reduce it is to leave the E.U. We should all be insulted by David Cameron's sham renegotiation.

We buy more from the E.U. that we sell so I am sure we will be able to negotiate a free trade deal with the E.U. People are citing Norway as an unfavourable parallel as having to accept free movement and other rules, but Canada is near to negotiating a free trade with the E.U. We're bigger than Norway and more important to European countries.

I am absolutely convinced that we will be safer and more prosperous outside. We are big enough to go alone.

I am looking forward to having civilised but passionate debate on here.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,686
    Call my a cynic but if the 'OUT' wins, I think it won't change a thing. About a year ago the Greek population voted 'NO' on the issue of EU's budget restraints, yet a few days later Tsipras capitulated to EU's demands. In 2005 the french population vote 'NO' on the european treaty, yet 2 years later the Parliament voted in favour of the european treaty and ignored the population's vote. This last week Cameron 'won' his negociation, yet a few hours after that, Merkel said there is no plan on how/when to implement the demands they had agreed to give him, and that it wasn't even on the agenda.

No matter what people vote, the EU technocrats will ignore it and they'll make their own decisions over a glass of brandy and cigars.
    OUT

I want this country to be able to make our own laws and control our borders. Immigration is, and has been for the last 15 years, at totally undesirable and unsustainable levels, and the only way we can reduce it is to leave the E.U. We should all be insulted by David Cameron's sham renegotiation.

We buy more from the E.U. that we sell so I am sure we will be able to negotiate a free trade deal with the E.U. People are citing Norway as an unfavourable parallel as having to accept free movement and other rules, but Canada is near to negotiating a free trade with the E.U. We're bigger than Norway and more important to European countries.

I am absolutely convinced that we will be safer and more prosperous outside. We are big enough to go alone.

I am looking forward to having civilised but passionate debate on here.

Norway is abiding by a lot of EU law even though we are not a full fledged member, but immigration is not one of those topics that are forced down our throats yet.
    I am at present in the OUT camp! From my own employment perspective since i have left school, my life has been hindered by the EU. I will be surprised if i have my mind changed before the referendum date?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I too would be an Out voter.
    Out for me too
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Out, effective immediately.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Draggers you swine I was just about to great this but I spent too long procrastinating about the title as I really wanted to work in some double entendre about Octopussy's rowers!

We should all be insulted by David Cameron's sham renegotiation.

OUT

I was 50/50, leaning towards IN but this pathetic negotiation is what has swung me.

The deal Cameron is pretending he has got is an embarrassment.

Ideally I'd like to go to them and say 'we'd like to stay in but we want this and this. If that's no good then suit yourself and kick us out'. But as we're stuck with a limp wristed apology of a leader he's just rolled over and let them walk all over him.

We are Great Britain (the clue's in the title) FFS! We shouldn't be dictated to by the likes of Estonia and f**king Slovenia. It's all well and good for these little tinpot countries to want to be part of a cozy little club to prop up their but we are a nuclear power (just about!) for Christ's sake. Our capital city alone is as rich as Sweden.

We're not going to suddenly go bankrupt. Do you think all the companies we trade with in Europe do it out of kindness just because we are members of the EU? They do it because it's mutually beneficial. They aren't going to cease trading with one of their biggest markets just because we don't have the EU flag on our number plates.

Why do you think it is the migrants all flock to Calais rather than staying in Greece and Italy? Because we are prosperous with jobs and generous hand outs. So let's put the choice to stop benefits to these leeches back in our own hands, do what the Aussies do and only let people in whose skills we need and then all those jobs in Costa and Pret can go to our own dole scum.

If Mad Mullah Merkel wants to turn on the terrorist tap and flood the continent with jihadists from Syria and all the other countries leaders are happy to let her get on with it then that's her look out but why should we just lump it because we are too scared to go against the EU?

Why don't we just have the confidence to say 'We are happy to be part of your little gang but it's going to be on our terms. What's that Latvia? You don't agree? Well how about you just sit in the corner while the grown ups are talking. When us, France as Germany have decided things we'll try and remember to let you know.'

The thing about the British people is they are tolerant and polite and just shrug and put up with stuff. We don't riot in the street like Greeks or have endless strikes like Frogs. But when our good nature is taken advantage of and we are pushed too far there's a line in the sand where we say 'no more'. I think Cameron and the EU may have misjudged how close to this tipping point we are. People are sick of empty suits like Cameron just in our own country let alone even more pointless faceless entities in Brussels ordering us about.

It's about time we threw our weight about a bit more instead of meekly sitting there and letting Romania and Lithuania have input on decisions affecting this country.

We are Great Britain - how about we start remembering that and not be scared to stand on our own two feet?

• Call my a cynic but if the 'OUT' wins, I think it won't change a thing. About a year ago the Greek population voted 'NO' on the issue of EU's budget restraints, yet a few days later Tsipras capitulated to EU's demands. In 2005 the french population vote 'NO' on the european treaty, yet 2 years later the Parliament voted in favour of the european treaty and ignored the population's vote. This last week Cameron 'won' his negociation, yet a few hours after that, Merkel said there is no plan on how/when to implement the demands they had agreed to give him, and that it wasn't even on the agenda.

No matter what people vote, the EU technocrats will ignore it and they'll make their own decisions over a glass of brandy and cigars.

Cameron didn't 'win' anything anyway. I heard him say that we could now keep the pound wtf. I could see he was uncomfortable defending the deal on the Marr show.

It really will be desperately sad if we don't vote to become a sovereign nation.

As to your point, if we vote out, the process of withdrawal starts immediately. Permission won't be needed.
    I'm not a Brit but I am a European.
    I wish we could all say that... ;-)
  • RC7RC7
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm not a Brit but I am a European.
    I wish we could all say that... ;-)

Do you ever refer to yourself as European?
    Constantly.
    I have to.
    No-one knows Belgium.
  • RC7RC7
    Constantly.
    I have to.
    No-one knows Belgium.

Are you serious?
    I was on a plane once. A middle-aged American woman set next to me. We started talking. Where are you from, she asked. I said Belgium. No, she didn't know Belgium. Uh, Between France, Germany and The Netherlands? She only knew France and Germany and vaguely remembered having heard of The Netherlands. But that didn't matter because I came from Europe then and isn't that one big country after all? Also, Brussels? Yeah, yeah, that rang a bell. (Of course it did, we were about to land there...)
  • RC7RC7
    I was on a plane once. A middle-aged American woman set next to me. We started talking. Where are you from, she asked. I said Belgium. No, she didn't know Belgium. Uh, Between France, Germany and The Netherlands? She only knew France and Germany and vaguely remembered having heard of The Netherlands. But that didn't matter because I came from Europe then and isn't that one big country after all? Also, Brussels? Yeah, yeah, that rang a bell. (Of course it did, we were about to land there...)

Astonishing. Simply astonishing.
    RC7 wrote: »

Astonishing. Simply astonishing.

Not really.

Read the anecdote again, you must have missed the fact that she was from America which says it all.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,619
    Britain, please vote OUT. It's time to dismantle the European Union, and the UK leaving would be a great way to start the process.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Britain, please vote OUT. It's time to dismantle the European Union, and the UK leaving would be a great way to start the process.

I'm certainly happy to oblige in the dismantling of this behemoth!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Draggers you swine I was just about to great this but I spent too long procrastinating about the title as I really wanted to work in some double entendre about Octopussy's rowers!

We should all be insulted by David Cameron's sham renegotiation.

OUT

I was 50/50, leaning towards IN but this pathetic negotiation is what has swung me.

The deal Cameron is pretending he has got is an embarrassment.

Ideally I'd like to go to them and say 'we'd like to stay in but we want this and this. If that's no good then suit yourself and kick us out'. But as we're stuck with a limp wristed apology of a leader he's just rolled over and let them walk all over him.

We are Great Britain (the clue's in the title) FFS! We shouldn't be dictated to by the likes of Estonia and f**king Slovenia. It's all well and good for these little tinpot countries to want to be part of a cozy little club to prop up their but we are a nuclear power (just about!) for Christ's sake. Our capital city alone is as rich as Sweden.

We're not going to suddenly go bankrupt. Do you think all the companies we trade with in Europe do it out of kindness just because we are members of the EU? They do it because it's mutually beneficial. They aren't going to cease trading with one of their biggest markets just because we don't have the EU flag on our number plates.

Why do you think it is the migrants all flock to Calais rather than staying in Greece and Italy? Because we are prosperous with jobs and generous hand outs. So let's put the choice to stop benefits to these leeches back in our own hands, do what the Aussies do and only let people in whose skills we need and then all those jobs in Costa and Pret can go to our own dole scum.

If Mad Mullah Merkel wants to turn on the terrorist tap and flood the continent with jihadists from Syria and all the other countries leaders are happy to let her get on with it then that's her look out but why should we just lump it because we are too scared to go against the EU?

Why don't we just have the confidence to say 'We are happy to be part of your little gang but it's going to be on our terms. What's that Latvia? You don't agree? Well how about you just sit in the corner while the grown ups are talking. When us, France as Germany have decided things we'll try and remember to let you know.'

The thing about the British people is they are tolerant and polite and just shrug and put up with stuff. We don't riot in the street like Greeks or have endless strikes like Frogs. But when our good nature is taken advantage of and we are pushed too far there's a line in the sand where we say 'no more'. I think Cameron and the EU may have misjudged how close to this tipping point we are. People are sick of empty suits like Cameron just in our own country let alone even more pointless faceless entities in Brussels ordering us about.

It's about time we threw our weight about a bit more instead of meekly sitting there and letting Romania and Lithuania have input on decisions affecting this country.

We are Great Britain - how about we start remembering that and not be scared to stand on our own two feet?

Well said, my friend. I'll post more substantive thoughts on why I'll be voting OUT later.
    Out.
    Over and out, DMCU.
  • GBFGBF
    I am not a Britain but I wonder if it is so postive for all Britains if GB leaves the EU. I mean you tried it once before 1973 with the EFTA and it failed since the market was too small and the European Community (as the EU was called back in those days) had the bigger internal market and benefited from trade enormously. Hence GB was more or less forced to join the EC too. I mean of course GB could leave the EU and try to negotiate a free market access but this would mean you had no more voting rights but would still need to follow EU regulation (at least with regard to the internal market which is 90% of EU regulation). And GB allready now benefits from many exception rules. GB does not need to introduce the Euro, is not part of the Schengen area, has a discount with regard to financing the EU budget (Thatcher Discount). It is also not clear what will happen to the City of London if there is no market access to the European financial market. Many banks will probably move to Dublin or Frankfurt.
    Heath was a traitor, isn t that common knowledge these days?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

Who are you to look down upon a country smaller in scale? This is about working together as European countries. You want to set the world back for half a century? There has been peace in Europe since 1945 and you've got the bloody EU to thank for that.

So thank you, Konrad Adenauer, Jean Monnet and Paul-Henri Spaak for trying to unify a whole bloody continent so we could learn how to work together instead of falling over stupid little political games that will tear the Old Continent apart.

Even Winston Churchill called a 'United States of Europe' the only way to guarantee peace in a continent which had been torn apart by nationalism.

But no, If I don't get every single thing I want, I'll just stop playing.
    The thing about the British people is they are tolerant and polite and just shrug and put up with stuff. We don't riot in the street like Greeks or have endless strikes like Frogs. But when our good nature is taken advantage of and we are pushed too far there's a line in the sand where we say 'no more'.
    Oh, you are too 'good natured' and too 'polite'? Self-indulgent imperialist nonsense. Basically, you're saying here that British citizens are better than other people.

You don't have riots on the streets in Britain? Ridiculous statement, some people only have to wear a different colour of football shirt and they start bashing each others head in.

I would have loved a civilized discussion. Hell, I like all Brits I know personally and we have differences about the EU too. If you start literally insulting other nationalities however, you've crossed a line.
  • GBFGBF
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Who are you to look down upon a country smaller in scale? This is about working together as European countries. You want to set the world back for half a century? There has been peace in Europe since 1945 and you've got the bloody EU to thank for that.

So thank you, Konrad Adenauer, Jean Monnet and Paul-Henri Spaak for trying to unify a whole bloody continent so we could learn how to work together instead of falling over stupid little political games that will tear the Old Continent apart.

Even Winston Churchill called a 'United States of Europe' the only way to guarantee peace in a continent which had been torn apart by nationalism.

But no, If I don't get every single thing I want, I'll just stop playing.
    The thing about the British people is they are tolerant and polite and just shrug and put up with stuff. We don't riot in the street like Greeks or have endless strikes like Frogs. But when our good nature is taken advantage of and we are pushed too far there's a line in the sand where we say 'no more'.
    Oh, you are too 'good natured' and too 'polite'? Self-indulgent imperialist nonsense. Basically, you're saying here that British citizens are better than other people.

You don't have riots on the streets in Britain? Ridiculous statement, some people only have to wear a different colour of football shirt and they start bashing each others head in.

I would have loved a civilized discussion. Hell, I like all Brits I know personally and we have differences about the EU too. If you start literally insulting other nationalities however, you've crossed a line.

Thank you man. Most people just don't know anything about European politics but blame it for everything that seem to go wrong. Latvia is a very small country and its share of representatives in the European Parliament and its vote in the Council is therefore also extremely small. Hence the difference in population size is already taken into account when it comes to EU decision making. All countries (including GB) are involved in that process and these decisions do not cover all kind of political areas. It is mostly about the regulation of the EU internal market.

Who are you to look down upon a country smaller in scale? This is about working together as European countries.....

I'd love for you to clarify what you mean by 'working together'?

Do you mean working together whereby somehow all asylum seekers miraculously end up in Calais clawing at the UK border despite the law stating you need to apply in the first country you enter?

Or do you mean together in the sense of self appointed president of Europe Merkel inviting every terrorist who can sail a dinghy to Greece into the continent? Don't remember our government signing off on that one when we were working together.

Or how about every time I go to one of these places like Portugal or Lithuania and see 'This new motorway was funded by the EU'? I'd love to see some of that togetherness come our way because I'm yet to see a sign like that on big infrastructure projects in England.

Love how you preface 'civilised discussion' with what amounts to a racist stereotype that hasn't been true for 20 years. Look to Poland, Italy or Greece and then come back and talk to me with your laughable statements about football violence, not mention football racism which is endemic in Latin countries and anywhere east of Berlin.

The bottom line is the countries that matter in the EU are Germany, France and the UK. That's just a fact I'm afraid. If we all left what would there be? The Lithuanian, Slovenian, Finnish presidents et al all having a little meeting in a church hall and discussing the sum total of bugger all.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Britain stopped being great ages ago, it's a myth we are just Britain.

We are a jumped little island that used to be much more because we conquered other countries we've had to relinquish, we hide behind America and try to act tough but those days are long gone.

• Britain, please vote OUT. It's time to dismantle the European Union, and the UK leaving would be a great way to start the process.

I'm with you.

We stopped Germany dominating Europe in two world wars, and then we just handed it to them. In no way am I comparing the E.U. to the Third Reich but countries should be governing themselves, and to cede any power to another country or institution is fundamentally undemocratic. That alone convinces me that the E.U. is wrong.

Of course, the sheer madness of free movement and the insane attitude towards belligerent migrants pleading refugee status should be enough to convince anyone.
This discussion has been closed.