Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

Enemy Front for PS3. Low rated game by the critics but it's great. It's like Return To Wolfenstein for the PS2 but with only real Nazi's.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy. My bowcaster and my lightsaber each see lots of use.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just finished a New Game Plus playthrough of Batman Arkham Knight in the Bat suit from The Dark Knight. Heavily satisfying, that, and it netted me my first platinum trophy ever, which is fitting considering my love for the character. So many people complain about this game, often whining about the overuse of the batmobile, which I find inconceivable. You can NEVER have too much batmobile.

In my opinion, it's a solid experience. The combat and predator mechanics are the best and most evolved they've ever been, the upgrades actually make you feel like you are growing as a combative force behind the wheel of the batmobile and in the new suit, and the Gotham City we get is beautiful, alive and a character all its own.

Rocksteady did a great job of making all the characters, even down to random thugs feel real. You'll hear the same voice actors back from both Asylum and City in the role of the thugs as they talk amongst each other about what Batman did to them in those previous games, so you genuinely feel like they are all the same guys that you beat up all those years back. Their dialogue is rich and often side-splitting, adding so much depth and weight to the game with their always changing dialogue chains.

The cops in the GCPD, your basic headquarters this time around, are even more "alive." Each and every person inside the GCPD, and I mean every one, have unique pieces of dialogue, some up to 3 or 4 whole deliveries, each time you do something in the game that makes an impact, which is often. This amounts to each officer and civilian in the GCPD having pages of unique dialogue all to themselves over the course of the entire game. This not only makes you connect more to them and their struggles, but it also shows you that what you're doing is important and valued by those on the other side of the law. They become less faceless or nameless characters and more tangible figures who you can pick out by name. Some of the characters in the game that you rescue are also related to those in the GCPD, which each character will reference when prompted. The villains you arrest and put in cells in the GCPD have these same vast dialogue chains, and it's great to see how they react to what Batman has done at each stage of the game and how they react to each other as people like Penguin and Two-Face seem fit to fight right then and there. Fantastic stuff.

This game is by no means perfect, but it is by far the best Batman simulator that I have ever had the joy to experience. If you want to feel like Batman, Arkham Knight will give you that experience better than anything out there. If you'd have told me six years ago while my mind was being blown by Arkham Asylum that in the future I'd be able to play a Batman game with a massive Gotham that I could drive a Batmobile through, while playing in the Keaton, Bale, or other classic bat suits, I'd have called you a maniac, but that's exactly the magic that Rocksteady have delivered to us.

It's also for my money the most technologically impressive game yet in the new gaming generation. The graphics are the best I've seen and never falter, and the models of the characters are so lifelike it's almost uncanny. If you totaled up the time I've spent in the character trophy mode ogling the models of all the characters in awe, it'd come to about four or five hours, I'm sure. Rocksteady's team have designed everything with crisp textures, even making all the Bat suits the way Bruce would actually have to create them in real life, with sewing marks and stitching visible. It's mind blowing and absolutely fantastic.

Unique weather effects, like the prominent rain that casts over Gotham throughout the game reacts naturally over the clothing and skin of characters and Batman's suit, with each droplet visible as it hits his body and runs down. The weather effects have the same function on vehicles (like the batmobile) and other surfaces in the game world. You really feel like you're in a soaked, seedy Gotham. I've lost hours in the photo mode for the game on my PS4 going around in the various Bat suits simply taking pictures of the amazing environment Rocksteady's team have brought to life for us.

And Rocksteady have actually listened to their fans, and have added things to the game that add longevity to it. You can now play as classic Batman characters like Robin, Nightwing, Robin, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Azrael and more in most combat and predator maps, adding immense replayability to the game, as each character has unique sets of skills and approaches to the combat and predator encounters. For example, Batman is the best in both areas because he has a vast amount of tools under his belt, while Harley is a challenge to use in predator encounters with up to 16 gunmen because she doesn't do any silent takedowns. Every characters offers up their own positives and negatives, making each attempt at getting three stars in combat and predator encounters a unique challenge and experience. It's also great to be able to play as Batgirl in this game, something I never thought would happen but that I was so excited to see.

Anyone that is a fan of Batman and hasn't tried this game yet is beyond insane. It's one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had, and as a Batman fan, it is undoubtedly the single greatest experience on offer. There's so many surprises in this game for fans of the series and Batman in general, including one biggie that is out of this world. It's the Arkham game with the most villains, the longest game time, the best gameplay and the best "Be the Batman" experience. Go out and play it now, otherwise I'm sending a very special friend after you...

1150cae10bba34c951bc9d1943dc6bcd.gif
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,181
    Been playing tons of NBA2k16. The myteam mode is awesome. Anyone else play on here? Forgot to add, PC Version here.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 13,882
    Chang wrote: »
    Enemy Front for PS3. Low rated game by the critics but it's great. It's like Return To Wolfenstein for the PS2 but with only real Nazi's.

I have been toying with the idea of buying Enemy Front for a while, despite the lukewarm reception it had. A lot of really good games get overlooked, just because they're not this game or that game.
    Because I don't use the PSN, I try and get games that have mostly/all/as much as possible offline trophies. Yet, Enemy Front still interests me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just unlocked the Platinum Trophy for 'Alien: Isolation,' now time to trade this game in. Good graphics, great atmosphere/ambiance, the Xenomorph and Working Joes are real frightening, but the lack of unique level design and the fact that the game refuses to follow its own rules sort of takes me out of it and enjoy it less than I could've, especially since it's first and foremost a stealth game, and at times, it doesn't get it right whatsoever.

I have been toying with the idea of buying Enemy Front for a while, despite the lukewarm reception it had. A lot of really good games get overlooked, just because they're not this game or that game.
    Because I don't use the PSN, I try and get games that have mostly/all/as much as possible offline trophies. Yet, Enemy Front still interests me.[/quote]

I think it's fun. You basically clear areas and move on but the locales & story are interesting and there is a nice amount of sniping mixed with run & gun.
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    Mario Party 7, Shrek SuperSlam, 007: The World Is Not Enough, Goldeneye 007 (1997) and Perfect Dark are all the games I've played lately.
    Anthrax wrote: »
    Mario Party 7, Shrek SuperSlam, 007: The World Is Not Enough, Goldeneye 007 (1997) and Perfect Dark are all the games I've played lately.

'Mario Party'? TWINE? GE '64? 'Perfect Dark'? I'm jealous beyond belief, I grew up with a lot of these games. Is the TWINE version you're playing on the N64 or the PS1?
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    Creasy47 wrote: »

'Mario Party'? TWINE? GE '64? 'Perfect Dark'? I'm jealous beyond belief, I grew up with a lot of these games. Is the TWINE version you're playing on the N64 or the PS1?

The N64 version of course.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The N64 version of course.

I have more memories from that game than I do GE '64. Both are fantastic, don't get me wrong, but the countless sleepless nights I had playing TWINE multiplayer splitscreen with my best friend will always be a fond memory of mine.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    In honor of David Bowie, I'm playing a bit of MGS V the phantom pain. Diamond Dogs!
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    In honor of David Bowie, I'm playing a bit of MGS V the phantom pain. Diamond Dogs!
    Kojima retweeted this:

12487201_919160964864200_3200846248397365795_o.jpg

Awesome!
  • Well here's some fantastic news for anyone who hasn't bought Mortal Kombat X yet... and some damned annoying news for anyone who has (me)...

Mortal Kombat XL
    Clever title ;)

It includes everything from the first and upcoming Season Pass, and possibly even more by the look of it.
    Pretty annoying considering I bought the game new as well as the first Season Pass- still not sure if that means I get the next one or if I have to pay another $30 for it (spoiler alert: I won't, lol)

One of these days I'll learn to just wait! ~X(
    What you just posted, @Master_Dahark, is why the state of gaming is so piss poor today: release inferior products that are severely lacking, announce an over-priced season pass that'll deliver more content (that would've initially justified the $60+ price point and should've been on the disc since day one, which usually, the content is and it further proves how lazy developers are), and not only this, but they spend months (or sometimes years, and sometimes they fail in general) patching and fixing and working to correct the half-assed, bare-bones release they've injected into the world, and before you know it, you realize you've been shafted for being a die-hard, day-one customer of the game, and anyone else who waited can now come along and get a large Game of the Year Edition for roughly the same price as you did day one, only they get all the content and patches at once for no extra cost.

THAT is gaming in 2016 for you. I wish it wasn't the case, but it's true.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That's been the state of gaming for years now, ever since day one DLC came into existence.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Season Passes need to, well...pass. The sad thing is so many big developers and publishers use them, especially big titans like EA and Activision who are the premier capitalists of the genre (greedy and shady in all the right places), that it'll never end until people start voting with their wallets against it.

I have never and will never buy a season pass, because they are astronomical in price such that you end up paying upwards of 100$ on a newly released triple-A title. I didn't even buy the season pass for Batman Arkham Knight, so do you really think I'd fall for it from anyone else other than Warner and Rocksteady?

It's much better to avoid the season pass altogether, save your money and selectively download the content you want as it's released for the game, avoiding the DLC that you think is a waste of time and money. Then you can go on the internet and watch fanboys and girls whine that they feel cheated and wronged by the publisher and developer simply because they didn't think logically with their money and instead of waiting to see if the DLC was something they actually wanted, they shelled out even more cash to blindly buy into the sheen of the pass. It's hilarious, if a bit pathetic. But mostly hilarious.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 40,368
    Definitely, but at least a few years ago only certain releases did it. These days, I honestly feel like 90-95% of games are following the exact same routine, even the ones I hold near and dear to my heart.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, have you realized that the latest Batman title has (the last time I checked), ten or fifteen separate DLC packs?! There's no sense in that, especially if you have to pay for them.
    Yes, @Creasy47, I'm lukewarm about Warner and Rocksteady's DLC approach. To be fair though, the prices of the DLC have been pretty great in comparison to other things out there, and often Rocksteady released specific features for free. I loved the DLC content for the most part, but of course I'm obsessed with the character, so you know they had me locked in from the start. Batman's the only character I'll bother going that far for, too. Nothing else comes close in my heart and mind when it comes to video game purchases.
    I believe I got two of the DLC's free for buying the game when it first came out, so that's better than nothing, but a lot of them seem to add a new outfit and car with a couple of trophies and that's about it. Can't imagine something like that being worth more than $2-3, at the most.
    The only DLC that makes any sense to me is DLC that's made after the game's release. The ultimate example of this to me is Resident Evil 5's "Lost in Nightmares" DLC, which came out a year after the base game. It is different enough from the base game to feel like a separate experience, and it's beautiful.

Left 4 Dead's DLC was also well-done, and didn't feel like something that could have shipped on the disc. Grand Theft Auto IV's DLC is another example. If companies would follow these examples and not just pull things off the disc to sell for a fee later, then people would be happy.
    Replaying Force Unleashed 2 personally like 007 legends I remeber hating Force Unleashed 2 I figure lets get achievements and replay it to see why I did or didn't like it.

Also stuck on the licence to kill part of 007 legends (which the levels are gorgous but I still complain about how the story is crap.)
  • Playing the Hitman beta. Best Valentine's Day weekend ever! :x
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,242
    Super Mario Maker (2015). I'm incredibly addicted, and I'll be playing it until my copy of Wind Waker HD comes in.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I'm in the process of my first ever play-through of 007 Bloodstone. I've been working my way through every James Bond game from Goldeneye N64 up to this, and I have to say it's awesome so far!
    I'm in the process of my first ever play-through of 007 Bloodstone. I've been working my way through every James Bond game from Goldeneye N64 up to this, and I have to say it's awesome so far!

Why have you taken so long?
    jackdagger wrote: »
    Playing the Hitman beta. Best Valentine's Day weekend ever! :x

I hate the way they plan on releasing this. It's such bs but tge game looks amazing.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    I hate the way they plan on releasing this. It's such bs but tge game looks amazing.

I don't like it either. I'll get used to it, but I still blame Square Enix.
    The beta is just the training levels, but the game seems awesome so far. It feels more like Blood Money than Absolution. And there's a lot of James Bond vibes.

I find it odd that Square Enix is also releasing the Final Fantasy VII Remake that way. Episodic doesn't seem the right way to release an RPG.