Oscar Predictions 2016

edited February 2016 in General Movies & TV Posts: 5,774
It's that time of the year again, and it's time to place your bets as to who will win this year. So, as usual, here are the nominees for Best Song, one of them is very familiar to us Bond fans.

Let's begin with "Earn It", from "50 Shades of Grey" :

Like the 60s vibe from this song. Don't know about the movie, but the song seems to be a contender.

Now, here's "Manta Ray", from Racing Extinction" :

Doesn't do a thing for me, but given the subject of the movie, the Academy might do the same thing they did for "An Inconvenient Truth"

From the movie "Youth", here's "Simple Song # 3" :

I can imagine Katherine Jenkins doing it. But I don't think it will win.

Now, Lady Gaga with "Till it Happens to You", from "The Hunting Ground" :

Difficult subject, and a very good song. I think this song will win this year. At least, it deserves to win.

And last, "Writing's on the Wall", from "Spectre" :

Sorry, but even as a Bond fan, I don't think Sam Smyth will win. Better luck next time.

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    My prediction is that Spectre will win nothing (sadly).
    Spectre takes it
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I have no idea about the songs but I doubt that Smith will win. Adele won the Oscar; I'd be surprised if the academy goes 007 again any time soon.

I still think DAD should have been best film of 2002.
    Wait, who's typing this? Not me! Hands... let go off the keyboard!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    I think SP will take the Oscar for best song, I sure hope so anyway.
    My predictions for Oscars overall:

(an actual bet I put very little money on just to make the oscars entertaining)

LKJ8WJG.png

Best Movie

Best Actress

Best Animated

Best Visual Effects

Best supporting actor

Best Actor
    Incidentally, with 10 nominations, I truly hope Mad Max Fury Road takes home at least one statue.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I hope Blackhat wins Best Picture and Michael Mann wins Best Director. Oh, they're not nominated? I don't care about the ceremony then.
    Wouldn't Blackhat have been selected last year anyway? ;-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just checked, and you're right @DarthDimi, 'Blackhat' premiered 7 days before the nominees of last year's Oscars were announced. ;)
    Michael Mann is always left out of the Oscars, except for The Insider, which is one hell of a fine movie. But how could the man have been overlooked in '95???
    Oscars 2016 Predictions

Best picture: Spotlight

Best leading actor: Leonardo Di Caprio

Best leading actress: Brie Larson

Best supporting actor: Sylvester Stallone

Best supporting actress: Alicia Vikander

Best director: Alejandro González Iñárritu

Best original screenplay: Spotlight

Best adapted screenplay: Room

Best animated feature: Inside Out

Best foreign picture: Saul Fia

Best cinematography: The Revenant

Best film editing: Mad Max: Fury Road

Production design: Mad Max: Fury Road

Costume design: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best makeup: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best original score: Ennio Morricone

Best original song: Sam Smith, Spectre

Best Sound mixing: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best sound editing: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best visual effects: Mad Max: Fury Road

Best documentary: Amy

Best documentary short: Last Day of Freedom

Best animated short: World of Tomorrow

Best live action short: Day One
    I think the Revenant will sweep all the big awards?
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,081
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Incidentally, with 10 nominations, I truly hope Mad Max Fury Road takes home at least one statue.

It certainly should, but who the hell knows with AMPAS. It is likely to either split most of the techs with The Revenant, or The Revenant sweeps, which would be a pity. Theoretically MMFR could sweep most of the techs as well, but I suppose that's less likely. I'd be happy to see Miller take Director, but I guess it's unlikely, especially with AGI taking DGA. Then again, it's not the same group of people voting, nor quite the same group of directors being voted, and there very well might be a BP/director split, as well, so it's a (maybe minor) possibility.

RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think the Revenant will sweep all the big awards?
    Obviously it can't sweep all the big ones since it isn't nominated for all the big ones (no actress or screenplay noms), but other than that, yeah... There are several stats and stuff against TR sweep, but it's a possibility. It won DGA, so yeah... If AGI gets Director it would be I think only the 2nd time ever that they award the same director consecutively - but they do love AGI; every single movie of his has gotten important nominations. He (personally) took home 3 statuettes last year (for producing, directing and writing), would they give him a couple more now? Maybe. Highly unusual for sure, but possible. It would be the first time ever that a movie by the same director wins BP on consecutive years, but there's the first time for everything, eh? Winning BP without a screenplay nom is rare, but has been done before - I think Titanic was the previous one that did that, and there are a couple of others earlier. It didn't get a WGA nod, either. It didn't win ACE, but that's not a major blip. More importantly, though, it wasn't even nominated for SAG ensemble, and even more curiously, it lost PGA, which uses the same preferential ballot that the AMPAS does for BP. It kinda over-performed on nominations (getting nominations that weren't even expected), so it clearly has wide support. In other words, while it's nowhere near the front runner that Birdman was last year, it could still sweep. Or not.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,081

On further consideration... Maybe 4 or 5 of them? I think that would be realistic. It should be the front runner in Make-Up and Hairstyling, (though TR is a possibility), plus Production design, possibly both sound categories, maybe Visual effects (or the VES winner TFA if they wanna give it something, or TR if it sweeps the techs). If TBS wins BP then it'll likely take editing, but if it doesn't then MMFR has a good chance.

I thought maybe someone else might like the posters BAFTA has for their BP nominees... I'm posting them here, since there's no better place, I think, and it's kinda related, anyway (partly same people voting)...

So, in alphabetical order:

film16coverPosters01_bigShort.jpg

film16coverPosters01_bridgeOfSpies.jpg

film16coverPosters01_carol.jpg

film16coverPosters01_revenant.jpg

film16coverPosters01_spotlight.jpg

The Big Short one really worked for me. There's so much there. As soon as I saw the three A's I was thinking of triple-A tranches, etc. The Carol is least interesting for me. The Revenant one naturally looks the best. :P The choice of colours obviously isn't accidental, either.

---

And the Winnie the Pooh posters for some Oscar nominated films:
    http://huffingtonpost.com/entry/winnie-the-pooh-oscar-movies_us_56abd978e4b077d4fe8e2ab0
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Congrats to Leo DiCaprio. Great actor and he deserves it. I like his indirect plug for Bernie too.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Congrats to Leo DiCaprio. Great actor and he deserves it. I like his indirect plug for Bernie too.
    Agreed. Deserved win.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm surprised Spotlight won for best picture. It was decent enough but I think there were better choices. Oh well.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    ^ I gasped when it won. I thought for sure the Revenant was going to win.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    MAD MAX FURY ROAD

WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN

I couldn't be more happy!!

SAM SMITH WRITINGS ON THE WALL

WIN

Bloody great! Fantastic! Marvelous!
    congrats to Leo long time coming totally deserve that one.
    nevermind he got all political with global warming not cool just take your trophy and walk.
    I am very pleased with the results. Except that I'd rather had George Miller walk away with best director. Never mind.

Sam Smith? The Bond fan in me says yes but does the song really deserve it? Ah well. Kudos!

Sam Smith? The Bond fan in me says yes but does the song really deserve it? Ah well. Kudos!

Agreed. "Writing on the Wall" was not the best nominated song (Lady Gaga's was), and not even the best nominated Bond Song ("The Look of Love" was), and not even the best Bond song ever ("We Have All the Time in the World" was). YMMV, of course.

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,984
    As an Australian, I was pleased to see Mad Max cleaning up. Congratulations of Leonardo DiCaprio though - he was stunning in The Revenant and certainly deserved a statue after years of brilliant film work. And of course, as a Bond fan, I was pleased to see the success Writing's on the Wall, even if I've never been too fond of it myself.
    The Adapted Screenplay Oscar was the 2nd one given, and basically saved my night already since with that in the bag there was no way the night was gonna be a complete disaster. So happy for Adam McKay and Charles Randolph. :-*

But then, the night wasn't a disaster otherwise, either. :) Happy for the MMFR wins. AGI was so visibly pissed off X( after one of them that I was quite surprised... and wished even more that he wouldn't win another Oscar. Unfortunately he did, though. But at least not two of them, ha! I wish they had given BD to Miller, though. Or any of the others for that matter rather than AGI. But oh well... not like that result was a surprise. Very happy for Rylance - I actually applauded at that.

No more "give poor Leo an Oscar" whining that's been going on for years, phew. I thought Hardy was better in the movie than he was, and he has done more interesting acting work himself in other movies, but still... nice he got it. He seemed to really want it, too, since he bothered to campaign so much, so at least that's over and done with. I've always liked him, and I'd have been properly happy for him, if he hadn't been practically declared winner before anyone had even seen the movie, and if his Oscar hadn't been the biggest thing about the whole awards season. As it was, it was kinda meh. I've had it up to my eyeballs about how this was "Leo's year" and how difficult the movie was to make. Geez. 8-| But yeah, I'm glad DiCaprio got the Oscar, and it's now out of the way.

BP was a 3 horse race, and I hoped for TBS, but was still pleased that Spotlight got it rather than The Revenant. And also that MMFR took most of the techs, too. Nice. (The Revevant sweep would have been terrible.) Amazed Ex Machina got VFX. :-O

I don't care for Sam Smith's song, and can't pretend to be thrilled for its win, either. I didn't care much about that whole category. The Academy not even inviting 2 of the nominees to perform was sort of disgusting - yet there was plenty of time for Chris Rock... far too much time... His repetitive stuff got old very quickly, and by the end I just wanted to slap him over the head. At least the nice thing with the silly girl scout cookie thing though was getting to see Matt Damon and Christian Bale share cookies across the aisle. :P

And... oh yes; Brie Larson made a good impression, both in the auditorium and backstage.
    Congrats to Sam Smith! Good to see Leo pick up his first Oscar too! =D>