'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,882
    An underwhelming end to an underwhelming series. Smith is still the best Doctor since McCoy and the 3rd best overall, but series 5 was a lot better than series 6.
    Mods can we drop the series 6 to save creating another who thread in the future.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Based on @Virage's comment above I'll throw it open. Would you like this thread to be changed to a general Who discussion thread or do you think the show is popular enough to justify 2 threads. One for general discussion and one to discuss the most recent series?
    I guessed the ending to the last episode after about 10mins,i wont say any more because of spoilers in case someone hasnt seen it.
    Not a good series at all,and i hope that this Xmas special is better than the crappy one last year.

I dont mind either way with the thread,if you want i can change it accordingly,as i created it.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    First half of this last series was ace. Most of what came after the break was total pants. Still, the finale was quite good, if entirely predictable. The marriage felt horribly tacked on, too.

Sadly, we are going to see more of River Song's "Hello Sweetie" schtick due to the fact she still has to be told his name. Shame, as I'd have liked to have seen that all tied up. Alex Kingston is starting to get on my moobs.
    Based on @Virage's comment above I'll throw it open. Would you like this thread to be changed to a general Who discussion thread or do you think the show is popular enough to justify 2 threads. One for general discussion and one to discuss the most recent series?
    I'd like this thread to be a generic discussion thread. But how much do people like and want to discuss the classic series.
    OK i have changed the thread title so this will now be a general discussion thread for Doctor Who,folks.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,882
    I'd like this thread to be a generic discussion thread. But how much do people like and want to discuss the classic series.
    I'm all for discussing Classic Who, but we might as well use this as a generic Who thread.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Sadly, we are going to see more of River Song's "Hello Sweetie" schtick due to the fact she still has to be told his name. Shame, as I'd have liked to have seen that all tied up. Alex Kingston is starting to get on my moobs.
    Don't forget the time when the Doctor shows up with his new suit and haircut. That's also yet to come. Though I don't think she'll be in the next series but the one after, to finish off River Song's story.

Or maybe the new haircut is the 12th Doctor? Either way, never fear, not much left to do with Kingston in my opinion.
    Sadly, i think Moffat is in love with the character who he sees as a female Cap'n Jack so we might have her to the end of his tenure.
    I actually like River Song/Melody Pond a lot better than Captain Jack.

I do want the Doctor to continue to meet her in his adventures except lose the other Ponds/Williamses.
    It is somewhat interesting seeing two characters living in the oopposite direction of their lives.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,856
    BBC CANCEL DOCTOR WHO CONFIDENTIAL

BBC have dumped DW's behind the scene show; Doctor Who Confidential. The cancellation is affective immediately meaning the episode accompanying "The Wedding of River Song" being the last.

The BBC issued the following statement:
    The 'Doctor Who' spin-off series, 'Doctor Who Confidential' has been a great show for BBC Three over the years, but our priority now is to build on original British commissions, unique to the channel. We regularly have to make difficult decisions and unfortunately sometimes they will prove to be unpopular with sections of the audience.
    HOWEVER if you like confidential you can sign the petition to reverse the decision (link Below) The Petition has over 36,000 signatures and those include crew members Neil Gaimen and Ben Foster (writer and conductor respectively.)

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/savedwc

PS.
    The final series of the Sarah Jane Adventures has begun on CBBC
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    This happened about a few days before the final episode and campaigns have been kicking into hugh gear since then. We'll see what happens.
    I know, I Thought some one else would beat me to it...
    I quite liked Confidential so I hope it can return in some form even if it's a shorter version. How difficult is it to follow the cast and crew around with a camera? Stalkers do that all the time.

Do you watch/enjoy it @Virage?
    We don't get confidential very often so no
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited October 2011 Posts: 1,699
    Loved it. Roll on Christmas. It's Narnia time.
    As Lazers would say, indubitably! :)
    I'm not sure if I even want the question to be answered.
    The revelation of the answer (the question being the one at the 'centre' of the entire near 50-year-long show, if you will) is Moffat's masterplan for Matt Smith's departure coinciding with the 50th anniversary of the show in two years' time - mark my words... ;)
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I'm not sure if I even want the question to be answered.
    The revelation of the answer (the question being the one at the 'centre' of the entire near 50-year-long show, if you will) is Moffat's masterplan for Matt Smith's departure coinciding with the 50th anniversary of the show in two years' time - mark my words... ;)
    Many have said that but I live in hope Smith will do at least another year.
    Thats The Thing No-one knows when series 7 is going to air
    Well I always loved Dr.Who I grew up with Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker. I liked Patrick Troughton & William Hurtnell. But they were before my time. I never liked Peter Davidson & Colin Baker. Sylvester McCoy was O.K with me but Paul McGann only did the movie version but he one of the Doctors in 1996 movie where he regenerate from Sylvester McCoy. Chris Elecceston was great with the disappointing 1 season, But David Tenant I defiantly I like. Also the current Doctor Matt Smith is Excellent. I will always love Dr.Who & their 50th Anniversary will be in 2013.
    Now I already Notice late Nicholas Courtney Roger Delgado & 2nd Doctor Patrick Troughton already starred in Couple of his Tv show like the Saint & The Persuaders. Sean Connery Son Jason was in one Colin Baker Dr Who episodes, Which I disappointed he was not mentioned as 007 son. Now recently it great That Timothy Dalton came as a Villain role in David Tenant last Dr. Who episode End of time. Remember when Timothy Stabbed by the 3rd Doctor Jon Pertwee son Sean in Cleopatra the 1999 movie which he team up with The Phantom star Billy Zane who also a Bond fan.
    Thats The Thing No-one knows when series 7 is going to air
    It's from Autumn 2012.

Thats Still at least 2 more series as @samuel pointed out series 7 is this time next year and its a full run meaning it will cross into 2013 and then series 8 could be July/August
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 1,856
    The Childern In Need Auction Skit and TDTWATW Tailer

That was excellent and fun. Looking forward to this years' Christmas episode.
    Smithy just IS the Doctor. Fits the role like a glove like the first four did.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    actonsteve wrote:
    Smithy just IS the Doctor. Fits the role like a glove like the first four did.

Yup, wouldn't argue with that.

And, from its trailer at least, the Christmas special ain't lookin' too shabby at all... :)

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Despite suggestions in the past that all the remaining lost Dr Who episodes from the 60s would now more than likely remain lost, an episode featuring William Hartnell and an episode featuring Patrick Troughton from 1965 and 1967 respectively have been discovered.

Let there be dancing in the streets

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dr who&source=web&cd=4&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQqQIwAw&url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16136521&ei=Q-TlTubbKYeN4gSg9cCGBQ&usg=AFQjCNF6tMla851LePJ7gjRlFLIN4ZEBow
    That was indeed good news. If they find a few more they can re-release thta wonderfull daft collection of not complete serials "Lost in Time". I'd buy it immediately.
    I caught the news that two missing episodes have been found. Galaxy 4 has some interesting quirks and we get to see the Chumblies. But any new footage of Dr Metz/Prof Zaroff in his pre-Diamonds days being suitably bonkers is always welcome.

Clips are up at the BBC website.
    I heard this on the news this morning, certainly good news. It's a pity that Cosgrove Hall havn't done anymore stories like they did with The Invasion, as i'd like to see more Troughton stories released.