Music in SPECTRE

Comments

RC7 wrote: »
    Gettler wrote: »
    Might get back lashed but I prefer Arnold and Newman over Barry and others.

In the last week I've seen someone ranking the Hollis/Rietty FYEO over the Waltz version, but now this. 'My opinion', before the forum police chime in, but preferring Newman over Barry is tantamount to enjoying the effects of Ebola over the effects of a pint.

A pint everyday and a rather large miss of that Ebola stuff.

The forum police can just not defend the Newman/Arnold over Barry argument is is like comparing Mozart to the Cheeky girls.
    O:-)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

In the last week I've seen someone ranking the Hollis/Rietty FYEO over the Waltz version, but now this. 'My opinion', before the forum police chime in, but preferring Newman over Barry is tantamount to enjoying the effects of Ebola over the effects of a pint.

Bang on Sir.

Would Hitler be given a free pass just because 'he's entitled to his opinion'?

Of course not and this is just as insane.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    As others have said already, this may be too mild a punishment.

Newman I can at least understand (but not agree with) since it's possible that you may not like the Barry approach or sound, and Newman is definitely different and more low key.

I'm curious why you prefer Arnold over Barry though. Surely a creative original who defined a sound for a generation is always superior to an uninspired (imho) replica.
    It's all a matter of personal preference. You all make it sound as though I loathe Barry, when I do enjoy his music, I don't listen to his scores that often compared to what Arnold and Newman did. Which is why I prefer them. My musical tastes are different. So im not going to pretend that Im not partial to Newman's ambience and subtlty and I enjoy Arnolds bombastic CR and QOS soundtracks.
  • I loved Arnold's scores for CR & QoS. With those and TND I think he gave us 3 really good efforts. I would love to see him return.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondboy007 wrote: »
    I loved Arnold's scores for CR & QoS. With those and TND I think he gave us 3 really good efforts. I would love to see him return.

I agree in all three cases.

Zekidk wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    The SPu score is a grower. Some great stuff in there. Especially with the inclusion of Vivaldi.

=))
    Why is that funny? That was a touch of genious, IMO!

I agree. Unfortunately it's Vivaldi's genius.

Here's a novel idea - how about you write some decent music yourself Tom rather than just plagiarising?.
    It was genious adding it. Like I think it was great when they added the Lawrence of Arabia theme in TSWLM and The Magnificent Seven theme in MR.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain

Are you being quite serious?
    I'm all for respecting opinions, horses for courses and all that, but that is pretty much akin to preferring Coldplay over Pink Floyd/Beatles/Stones/Clapton etc. (take your pick).
    So you prefer the Arnold & Newman's scores to the vastly superior quality of one of the best film score composers of the 20th century?
    And the vastly superior qaulity is - forgive my non-PC'ness but it is just is - musical fact.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,043
    To be a Bond fan and prefer those two wannabe's over the governor is unforgivable.

I've said it before some people just don't have a clue when it comes to music and saying you have different tastes is not a get out of jail free card.

Barry's genius melodies compared to some generic wall paper, the man's music literally a genre in itself, he is a pioneer and those early films would be nowhere as memorable without his touch, in some cases it's the score that is the only thing worth bothering with.

Then again I'm sure there are those that think Oasis are better than The Beatles.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    To be a Bond fan and prefer those two wannabe's over the governor is unforgivable.

I've said it before some people just don't have a clue when it comes to music and saying you have different tastes is not a get out of jail free card.

Barry's genius melodies compared to some generic wall paper, the man's music literally a genre in itself, he is a pioneer and those early films would be nowhere as memorable without his touch, in some cases it's the score that is the only thing worth bothering with.

Then again I'm sure there are those that think Oasis are better than The Beatles.

Well said. Different tastes cannot account for superior talent. You can 'like' Oasis more than The Beatles, but that does not make their output of better quality.
    Wow...the lack of respect is quite irredeemable here. I thought I just explained myself, and now, for some reason, you all want me hung? Talk about antiquated judgement. All because I prefer to put my ears to some different sound? I have respect for Barry as a composer, I do listen to him, but just not as much as the two I've mentioned before. I don't know why I'm drawn to the things I like, I just am.
    We're just kidding with you @Gettler. To each their own.
    ...and now, for some reason, you all want me hung?
    That's a bit harsh, but the back lashing you suggested is probably sufficient. Or just put the OHMSS soundtrack on loop for a few hours as punishment. ;)
    I'd gladly welcome that soundtrack on loop.
    I don't know why I'm drawn to the things I like, I just am.

I think that was going to be Jimmy Saville's defence if he was ever brought to trial. Doesn't make it right though does it?
    I mean if society was different enough to celebrate that sort of thing, then it would.
    I mean if society was different enough to celebrate that sort of thing, then it would.

Christ!! Well maybe one day society will be enlightened enough to embrace both your and Jimmy Saville's little peccadilloes but currently you are both regarded as deranged!!
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 314
    Woooooo. Tell me something I don't know.
    I don't know why I'm drawn to the things I like, I just am.

I think that was going to be Jimmy Saville's defence if he was ever brought to trial. Doesn't make it right though does it?

Ouch. That's a tad hash :>

@Gettler, don't sweat it, the 'lashing' is all in good nature, it's just necessary banter - compare it to someone on a Star Wars fan forum singing the praises of EP II's screenwriter over Kasdan's The Empire Strikes Back screenplay. Similar kind of lashing will ensue.
    I understand. But who would take EP 2 over Empire????
    I think you might be the only one on this forum who appreciates Newman and Arnold over Barry @Gettler. Nothing wrong with that, and I respect your opinion, but in a way it is actually sort of the same thing as someone saying EP2's screenwriter is better than ESB's imho. A true rarity and anomaly.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 314
    I keep wanting to read ESB as Ernst Stavro Blofeld. :P
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I keep wanting to read ESB as Ernst Stavro Blofeld. :P
    Me, too. And I will take the prequels over ROTJ, so we are both outcasts.
    I have nothing against Jedi really. I didn't find the Ewoks as annoying as most people do, but they're not as bad as the Gungans. Still bad, though. George could have been more creative with the Rebels destroying the generator.
  • I may be imagining this, and I'll have to watch the opening sequence again, but I could have sworn that the music during the helicopter fight felt taken from one of the earlier Craig films.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I may be imagining this, and I'll have to watch the opening sequence again, but I could have sworn that the music during the helicopter fight felt taken from one of the earlier Craig films.
    It pretty much was. It was a rearrangement of Skyfall's "Grand Bazaar" track. In fact a lot of the music in Spectre was just copy and pasted from Skyfall's score.
    Having watched the film again yesterday, I have to say that Newman's score has grown on me. I'm not saying that it's great, because it most definitely is not, but it's not really all that bad to me. It mirrored what was going on in the film nicely and his mood setting ambient music was pretty decent. I liked the Hinx motif, the bit when Bond goes to see White, the Aston driving into Italy, the Lucia track, and the Vivaldi track that she plays in her house before the assassination attempt (it just suits the scene perfectly).

In fact, I'd say he saved that car chase - Backfire gave the somewhat dull proceedings unfolding on the screen some energy, at least to me.

The only place where I think he really messed up was at the end - from the part where Bond enters the MI6 building onwards. There is a repetitive motive that he uses there (don't know the name of the track) which sort of builds on an SF track (I think it's Moors or something) and it just goes on and on, and becomes very annoying to me. Again, it does add some energy to the proceedings on the screen, but it's the only instance where I found Newman's work jarring to the ear.

I don't really want him back - at all, but I think his score fit the film.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    I liked the Hinx motif

Me too. I think it's better than anything he did in SF. I also like the second half of the track 'detonation'.
    I liked the Hinx motif

Me too. I think it's better than anything he did in SF. I also like the second half of the track 'detonation'.
    I'll have to listen to that one.

I know it's been mentioned here before somewhere, but did anyone notice the sort of homage to the Barry slide whistle when the helicopter does it's twirl? It's definitely paying respect to that scene.
  • RC7RC7
    I liked the Hinx motif

I'll have to listen to that one.

I know it's been mentioned here before somewhere, but did anyone notice the sort of homage to the Barry slide whistle when the helicopter does it's twirl? It's definitely paying respect to that scene.

I love that bit, but I never thought of it as an homage (although I've heard a few people mention it). It seems to me like the sort of moment that just necessitates a musical flourish. It could well be intentional, but unless I hear it from the horses mouth I'd personally chalk that one up as coincidence. I'd have to watch it again (tonight) as I've not seen it in a while, but I'm pretty sure the same cue is used during Bond's escape from the base, which also suggests it's a little motif rather than a nod to the slide whistle.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Newman gave us two of the series' best romantic cues, Donna Lucia and Madeleine.

Therefore said soundtrack is great. :D