Stanley Kubrick Appreciation Thread

17 years ago, Stanley Kubrick, one of the world's greatest film directors, passed away at 70 years old. Kubrick left behind an incredible legacy, having given cinema some of the greatest movies ever made. Quality preceded quantity in Kubrick's career, as he only directed 13 full-length films, yet each was immensely memorable and unique. Those films are:

Fear and Desire (1953)
Killer's Kiss (1955)
The Killing (1956)
Paths of Glory (1957)
Spartacus (1960)
Lolita (1962)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Barry Lyndon (1975)
The Shining (1980)
Full Metal Jacket (1987)
Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Kubrick tackled multiple genres and always delivered a one-of-a-kind experience in every one of his films. The painstaking attention to details, surreal imagery, quality acting, and thought-provoking messages were some of the trademarks that gave his films a distinct feel and separated him from the rest. There will simply never be another Stanley Kubrick.

This thread was simply created to appreciate Stanley Kubrick and the works he made. I would love to hear from MI6 Community members who are fellow fans of Kubrick. What movies of his do you enjoy the most? What about his movies do you especially like? Talk all about Kubrick and his movies here!

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    There are a few holes in my Kubrick viewing, but my favourite of his is the excellent Paths of Glory, what a powerful piece of film-making that is, just brilliant. I know most people put 2001 atop their list but I think that's probably because they think it's expected.
    Many years ago I saw Killer's Kiss and The Killing on tv and thought they were really good, would love to see them again. Also remember going to the cinema to see The Shinning which was a great experience. Although I have to say at the time it was lambasted by the critics, and now…oh, they all say it's a masterpiece. How times change.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited February 2016 Posts: 7,314
    I hate to say it but I've never seen any of his films from the 50's. I suppose that's something that I should rectify soon. As for everything else, I'd say it ranges from good to excellent. Obviously, the man is a legend. A Clockwork Orange is my personal favorite.
  • At this very same moment I'm dressed as a droog to celebrate the Carnival days in my country. Tomorrow I'll dress as Jason Voorhees.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What do you not particularly care for when it comes to 'Full Metal Jacket'? I haven't heard good things about 'Eyes Wide Shut,' either, though it's been on my Netflix Queue for some time now.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Birdleson wrote: »
    while others (FULL METAL JACKET and EYES WIDE SHUT) have not.

I love the fist half of FMJ but I do tend to lose interest once we get to Vietnam. It's still a solid outing overall though. And I have a soft spot for EWS. I understand people's issues with it but I've always enjoyed it regardless.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I've only seen The Shining and 2001.
    I can see what you mean now that you mention it, it is rather obvious in hindsight, given that this sort of thing isn't immediately recognizable in a film from someone as meticulous as Kubrick. Still, from what I've seen, it's my favorite of his, and it stands out to me as having wonderful pacing in that it's cut off so we almost get two totally different films: the horrors of boot camp and becoming a killing machine, and the horrors of the reality of war; what it makes a man do, and what it can do to you (and the horrific acts that attribute to that famous thousand yard stare.)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sad to say the only one of his very early films I have seen is Paths of Glory , but that remains a favourite along with Dr Strangelove, 2001-A Space Odyssey and Barry Lyndon. The Shining is also a masterpiece.
    @Birdleson, the same thing happens with me, though I think most of the time I'd go with the latter half as being my favorite. When the movie was still brand new to me, I enjoyed the boot camp scenes much more.
    That drill sergeant-what a character!
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    I can't rank films, I just find it too scientific an approach to art, but If someone were to put a gun to my head I might proffer that the Shining is my favourite film of all time. Maybe.
    If you all love Kubrick, then I'm sure you know how R. Lee Ermey ended up getting the role of the infamous drill sergeant from 'Full Metal Jacket.' I love how it all panned out.

@RC7, I re-watched it a week or so ago late at night and it never fails to creep me out. Masterfully crafted film.
    The Shining, Dr. Strangelove, and Paths of Glory are my personal favorite Kubrick films. They would probably all make my Top 50 films ever list - at least Top 80. The other standouts for me are Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, The Killing, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Spartacus. I like them all to a certain degree, but those are the eight I enjoy most and would rewatch the most.
    Great choices, @FoxRox (no SPARTACUS!?!). My perception of BARRY LYNDON seems to vary drastically depending on where I am in life.

I mentioned that in the Top 8; too low for you? My current full ranking is:

13. Fear and Desire
    12. Killer's Kiss
    11. Eyes Wide Shut
    10. Full Metal Jacket
    9. Lolita
    8. Spartacus
    7. 2001: A Spacey Odyssey
    6. The Killing
    5. A Clockwork Orange
    4. Barry Lyndon
    3. Paths of Glory
    2. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
    1. The Shining

All based on personal preference of course. Top 3 are all some of my favorites ever. 4-8 are very well-done, above-average films. 9-11 are films I think have a lot of good in them, but certain things in each put me off. 12 is average. 13 is funny for me because of how silly some of it is; as a film, mediocre.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm a huge fan of Kubrick's. My all-time favourite film is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I have enjoyed every one of his other films too, including Fear And Desire and Eyes Wide Shut.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    2001 is my favourite, with Dr. Strangelove & Paths of Glory not far behind.
    Anyone here believes Kubrick got wasted because he was about to spill the beans on the fake moon landing film he helped create? Lots of hidden clues to that in The Shining if you look for it.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 40,372
    Anyone here believes Kubrick got wasted because he was about to spill the beans on the fake moon landing film he helped create? Lots of hidden clues to that in The Shining if you look for it.

The amount of clues, hidden images, the way things shift throughout the movie, and the countless 'meanings' of the film alone make it worthy of a lot of subsequent viewings.
    And then there is Barry Nelson, of course. or Robert Haakon Nielsen as we know him as in Norway.
    2001 was the first movie I saw in cinema! Didn't appreciate it then as I was too young, but love it now. Paths of Glory should be essential viewing for anyone who loves the movies!
    The ending of 2001 is even better when hashish infested.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You were there in '68 when the hippies went to see 2001 and did the brown acid, @Thunderfinger? :-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2016 Posts: 17,728
    I love A Clockwork Orange and The Shining but I've not seen much of Kubrick's other work sadly.
    The ending of 2001 is even better when hashish infested.

Or LSD.
    First time I saw it in a theatre in the 70's was a small art film place, and everyone but I and my friend was smoking weed so we naturally picked up a contact high. Man, that movie makes no sense when you're stoned.
    I show the Early Man section and the HAL scenes to my Art 1 classes every year.
    It's like a moving painting- every frame.
    I've been considering doing a re-watch of Eyes Wide Shut lately. I probably missed a lot in that film the first time. The mystery/conspiracy aspect of it is great, and I like that it has a very complex look at a relationship that most films don't offer. I also love the Christmas theme. There's definitely some good stuff about it, even though I don't think it's one of Kubrick's greatest.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,243
    I made a ranking a couple of years ago when I did my Kubrick retrospective. Here it is:

1. DR. STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB (1964)
    2. SPARTACUS (1960)
    3. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968)
    4. THE KILLING (1956)
    5. PATHS OF GLORY (1957)
    6. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE (1971)
    7. THE SHINING (1980)
    8. BARRY LYNDON (1975)
    9. LOLITA (1962)
    10. FULL METAL JACKET (1987)
    11. EYES WIDE SHUT (1999)
    12. FEAR AND DESIRE (1953)
    13. KILLER’S KISS (1955)

His Documentaries:

1. DAY OF THE FIGHT (1951)
    2. THE SEAFARERS (1953)
    3. FLYING PADRE (1951)

It may seem like I'm being hard on FMJ and EWS, but I do like them both. It's just that the other's are that much greater. Like I said above, he is my favorite all-time director.

Cool; we still have the same favorite eight, albeit in a different order. #9-11 is also the same! It is interesting though to place Fear and Desire above Killer's Kiss.
  • RC7RC7
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    My upper echelon of Kubrick films (among the greatest ever made):

THE KILLING
    PATHS OF GLORY
    SPARTACUS
    DR. STRANGELOVE
    2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
    A CLOCKWORK ORANGE

Though I do appreciate all of the others to varying degrees. A friend and I did a Kubrick retrospective a few years back and re-watched everything, including his early documentaries. THE SHINING has definitely aged well (I didn't care for it to much in the '70s), while others (FULL METAL JACKET and EYES WIDE SHUT) have not. The man did not compromise his vision, that is for damned sure. FEAR AND DESIRE, though very raw and stilted at times, shows signs of what was to come.

That's probably because it wasn't released until 1980!
    Always been a favourite of mine.
    I found this an interesting read about the differences between his films shot for both open matte and matted 1.85:1 aspect ratios.

http://antagonie.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/kubrick-and-his-ratios.html