Princess Margaret is to be sent for scrap !

MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
in News Posts: 3,144
One of the last two remaining SRN 14 hovercrafts that were used to cross the English Channel by British Rail on the Dover to the Continent Service The Princess Margaret is to be broken up and scraped She is of course the hovercraft that is used by Bond when traveling as Peter Franks in Diamonds Are Forever .
http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2016/01/31/save-the-last-remaining-british-rail-hovercraft-from-destruction/?

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Tragic.

I have fond memories of crossing the channel on Hoverspeed hovercrafts.

Like the demise of Concorde another nail in the coffin of being proud to be British.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sad to hear. :(
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,727
    We are going backwards. All entrepreneurship and true advances are now solely being made in the virtual world, it seems that the captains of industry are no longer interested in 'real' technology - which all has to be standardized and as low cost as possible per unit - it all just has to make loads of money, and preferably be digital rather than real.

The 2nd half of the 20th century will be looked back upon as the last truly forward-thinking period of recent times...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It is a sign of the times and lack of innovation, that we used to only scrap
    a technology when we had something better to replace it. As pointed out by
    @TheWizardOfIce we've lost Concord, with nothing to replace it for supersonic
    Travel.
    It is a sign of the times and lack of innovation, that we used to only scrap
    a technology when we had something better to replace it. As pointed out by
    @TheWizardOfIce we've lost Concord, with nothing to replace it for supersonic
    Travel.

Quite. Cost per unit is the only thing that matters to investors since 2008.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Concord and I go back a long long way when the first English prototype made her maiden flight from the runway at filton just on the edge of Bristol I was there to see her with my father and then later on when the last ever flying Concord came home to the place where she was born I was there to see her and was standing in as near as could be the same spot .
    It's just sad. I remember seeing the hovercraft come gliding into Dover over the channel when I was a boy growing up on the Kent coast... superb machines, they were.