Bring back Harry Palmer?

The Dads Army movie got me on another forum why the British film industry does so poorly IMHO in producing movies with global appeal. London and the UK is clearly seen as acceptable as a location re the global audience and when one considers some of the current threats to our collective safety, it makes you wonder if there is potential for a Harry Palmer style of dark, gritty spy thriller based in the UK. Its not as if we dont have the talent (in front and behind the camera).

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'd be all for the return of Harry Palmer perhaps in the film of Horse Under Water that never was:

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/george-lazenby-and-film-of-horse-under.html
    Elba as a modern day "harry palmer" - living in a modest bedsit , undercover
    interesting?
    patb wrote: »
    interesting?

Well probably a better role for Idris Elba than that of James Bond.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm sure there's enough room in the spy genre for a return of Harry Palmer.
    Loved the three original movies ( haven't watched the later ones).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't know if I would want Harry Palmer back. Other than The Ipcress File, his films weren't impressive at all. I also find it hard to cope with Len Deighton's novels which are very difficult to follow.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 17,729
    The two new ones in the 1990s weren't good at all compared with the three classic Palmer films of the 1960s. Still, I think there is potential for Harry Palmer. I do agree that Len Deighton's novels are hard to follow.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    While The Ipcress File & Funeral In Berlin were by far the best of the Harry Palmer films, I actually preferred Bullet to Beijing & Midnight in Saint Petersburg to Billion Dollar Brain.
    The film adaptation of The Ipcress File is impeccable. But, Funeral In Berlin, well, I tried hard not to fall asleep while watching it, not to mention... the forgettable and half-annoying soundtrack providing some downpoints for me. Billion Dollar Brain could have been superb. But, it wasn't handled properly, so I didn't enjoy it as I thought I would be. But, Richard Rodney-Bennett's theme tune for the film is truly unforgettable.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited January 2016 Posts: 9,117
    It would have to be a remake and set in the 60s as the Cold War setting is essential for me.

After all the original Tinker Tailor was thought to be untouchable but they did a damn good job.

Just don't get P&W to write it is my advice.
    patb wrote: »
    interesting?

Noel Coward put it better than I can: 'No, no, no, no!'

Is there any chance of the mods imposing a ban on Idris Elba's name being mentioned on here any more? Is there any role out there people don't think he is a shoe in for? Bond, Indy, Batman, why not all of the sodding Avengers - actually while we're at it why not just employ him for every single acting job going and just have him talk to himself in scenes with some digital trickery a la Tom Hardy in Legend. Would certainly make casting easier.

Bond 25 dream cast
    James Bond - Idris Elba
    Blofeld - Idris Elba with a scar
    Madeline Swann - Idris Elba in a blonde wig
    M - Idris Elba with his hair dyed grey
    Q - Idris Elba wearing specs

Etc, etc
    Litvinenko was murdered in 2006, there is still enough going on
    Bond 25 dream cast
    James Bond - Idris Elba
    Blofeld - Idris Elba with a scar
    Madeline Swann - Idris Elba in a blonde wig
    M - Idris Elba with his hair dyed grey
    Q - Idris Elba wearing specs

Etc, etc
    Dr-Evil-Saying-Cool.gif
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd be up to see Palmer again.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I found it funny in Billion Dollar Brain how reports on rebels, were being
    "Sexed up" and only a few years ago WE were given similar "sexed up"
    Reports on Weapons of mass destruction. Even several military Generals
    have poured scorn over David Cameron's claim of tens of thousands of
    fredom fighters ready to rise up in Syria. ;)
    I've only seen The Ipcress File (very recently) and I really wasn't very impressed.

Palmer seems very much like a character I would and should connect with, being somewhat objective, collected, and reserved while maintaining himself with hobbies and avoiding as much bullshit and, well, hard work as possible.

But I didn't connect with him. I think the issue with Palmer in TIF for me was he was too bored, and thus the audience (me) became bored with the portrayal and the film. I really didn't find the twist(s) all too surprising or exciting, and the ending was sort of obvious as soon as you got there. I never once believed Palmer would pick the wrong man.

I also don't think this would be a character that would live in the modern world. I don't think the character can be adapted into something a modern audience could relate or identify with. I understand and respect a movie that isn't only about action sequences and unrealistic twists for the sake of twists -- and Harry Palmer would be that movie -- but I don't think a movie will be made today that doesn't attempt to satisfy those expectations.

You'd have to get a David Fincher or Danny Boyle type on the project -- a storyteller who tells great stories no matter how boring or unexciting the source material, before I would give any such project any credence or hope.