The General Music Thread

JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
edited February 2016 in General Discussion Posts: 4,151
I’ve searched around the community as well as done the, ever reliable, Google search but have struggled to find a thread that matches what the title suggests. If there does happen to be one, the please direct me there :D

So, the question is pretty obvious, I’m interested in what music you guys listen to; artists, genre etc and what album/song that you may be currently listening to on repeat.

Myself, while born in the 70’s, it was the 80’s that I discovered music and, therefore, the music of that decade is the music I listen to most. Now, I’m not talking of 80’s pop music, where it’s all neon and leg warmers, no, I’m a big listener of 80’s heavy metal/hair metal etc. From Iron Maiden to Poison, from Helloween to Motley Crue, I love it.

However, the band I love most are Guns n’ Roses. Appetite For Destruction was the album that really got listened to so much back in the 80’s (it still gets a lot of listening to today). Arguably the best debut album from a band, I was a fan from the beginning. It’s So Easy was the track that had me hooked after I heard a dodgy, little bootleg of it before the release of AFD. So that’s what I listen to most of the time but, occasionally, I do like to throw on the odd movie/television soundtrack/score to listen to as some of the music is just wonderful to listen to. Bond scores obviously get listened to a fair amount as well as some of the Murray Gold music from Doctor Who.

At the moment, and thanks to the fact that there is a mini reunion happening, I am listening to a lot of Guns n’ Roses from Appetite For Destruction to Chinese Democracy (no surprise). I know that there has been many changes within the band etc and that, recently, it’s been Axl and his Merry Men but I’ll always be a fan. With new gig dates coming out because of the reunion, I’m hoping that we’ll get some sort of UK tour. I’d rather a solo gig than a festival as, honestly, most of the bands that would be on the card, I wouldn’t listen to.

So, how about everyone else? I’d be interested in reading your own likes/dislikes etc.

P.s – if there is another thread, my apologies, but please feel free to merge this etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Born in '61, my main music influences are from the 70s. Grew up listening to Bowie, Bolan etc. They are still my music to listen to, but I am a huge Jethro Tull fan, love their stuff, especially as the albums are being released in 40th anniversary edition with new stereo remixes, not hugely different but achieving a clarity that wasn't there in the original pressings, and usually a brilliant 5.1 surround mix too! Also love Motorhead, Sabbath, Kate Bush, The Clash, The Stranglers, The Jam (punk/new wave happened at just the right time for me), huge Dylan and Springsteen fan, also love Mozart and have a modest collection of his music leaning toward the operas. Will give most anything a listen to, but if I don't like it. I don't like it!
    Not keen on jazz, funk or soul - so when our local music fest continually gets in funk/soul fusion bands I'm a little disappointed. Keep it Rock, keep it Live, keep it MUSIC!
    The Beatles, Nirvana, REM, The Clash, The Sex Pistols. Queen, Abba, Queens of the Stone Age, Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Madonna, Matt Monro, Frank Sinatra, Nina Simone, Louis Armstrong, The B-52s, The Unthanks, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Mazzy Star, PJ Harvey, Sonic Youth, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, The Jam, The Stranglers, Kate Bush, Black Sabbath, Brody Dalle, The Distillers, Aretha Franklin, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Yardbirds, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Lez Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The White Stripes, Jack White, Radiohead, Garbage, Metallica, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, Nine Inch Nails, Dinosaur Jr., Weezer, Pixies, The Breeders, Warpaint, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Shaggs, The Marine Girls, Shonen Knife, The Vines, The Wipers, The Meat Puppets, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Wings, Dusty Springfield, Lana Del Rey, Smoke Fairies, The Vaselines, Belle and Sebastian, Bob Marley, Mozart, Prokofiev, Beethoven, Schubert, Hans Zimmer etc.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,151
    @Lancaster007 - some bands I enjoy myself in there, particularly Motorhead and Sabbath. As for your dislikes, I am the same. And its the same with the music fest where I am (in Lancaster as it happens) so I don't generally attend.

@tanaka123 - wow, that's some list you have put together there. Again, some of the artists there are ones I enjoy.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,325
    @Shark_0f_Largo - thanks, here's some more - Smashing Pumpkins, Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine, PIL, The Fall, Fanny, L7, Siousxie and the Banshees, Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, The Julie Ruin, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Blondie, The Ramones, Bellowhead, Blur, Oasis, Suede, Supergrass, Jefferson Airplane, Fairport Convention, Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Michael Jackson, Auf Der Maur, Hole, Beat Happening, Sleater Kinney, Antony and the Johnsons, Billie Holiday, Gershwin, Elgar, David Arnold, Moby, John Barry, The John Barry Seven, Nick Drake, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Fugazi, Red Kross, The Melvins, Black Flag.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Oh, yeah, forgot Johnny Cash (seen twice) plus a host of other 'new county' artists i.e. Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakham and the like…
  • augie7107augie7107 Boston
    Huge Frank Sinatra fan. One of my biggest regrets in life was never seeing him perform live.
    Huge Yes Fan been listening a lot to the following four albums

Tales From a Topographic Oceans (1974)
    Drama (1980)
    Fly From Here (2011)
    Heaven & Earth (2014)
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote: »

Drama (1980)
    Fly From Here (2011)
    Heaven & Earth (2014)

The Roger Dean vinyl artwork on their early albums is incredible. I used to draw sci-if comics that mimicked his style when I was a kid.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There is a last album you listened to thread somewhere.

Anyway, right now I am listening to David Sylvian-Alchemy.

Obviously missed that. Apologies.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2016 Posts: 12,459
    Ahhhh, music! Makes our world so much richer.

I listen mostly to Marc Bolan/T.Rex for sure. The depth and variety of his music is really astonishing. Total pleasure, from acoustic gems to full bore rocknroll.

In the past, I have also gotten into and really enjoyed: The Beatles, Led Zep, Jimi H., Neil Young, some of the Stones, Deep Purple (thru Made in Japan anyway), and some U2. Some Clapton and Bob Marley. Add a dash of Janis, Carly, Sting, and the Clash.
    How do you all prefer to listen to your music? Digital/cd/vinyl etc.? Myself, most of the music I listen to is through vinyl; still, in my own opinion of course, the best way to listen to good ol' rock music. Any new albums that are released, before buying a cd, I will always look to see if there is a vinyl version that I can buy. I think it's just through listening to music in the 80's and vinyl, or cassette, was the way to go. I even listen to the odd cassette now and again.

Charity shops are a haven for good vinyl and at cheap prices so I tend to go look through them all each time I'm in a town centre. Plus, car boot sales, another source of finding old records to add to my collection. I've found a good, few, diamonds I can tell you.
    I listen to CD myself - I'm never going to debase myself to compressed MP3/downloads etc. But I'm also interested in Blu Ray Pure Audio - it's a shame that it won't take off.
    Currently listening to the brilliant Iron Maiden album, The Number Of The Beast. Helping my work day go a little smoother.
    A pretty varied selection of music but more recently Best of Bowie for obvious reasons.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I like to think I have pretty eclectic tastes. Anything from Jackson in pop, to 50 in rap to U2 toThe Doors or Def Leppard depending on mood. I'm also partial to 80's New Wave and Tears for Fears.

At the moment I'm on a mellow kick, and am listening to electronic jazz like the Cafe Del Mar collection and Thievery Corporation in my car, along with Koop.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

Drama (1980)
    Fly From Here (2011)
    Heaven & Earth (2014)

The Roger Dean vinyl artwork on their early albums is incredible. I used to draw sci-if comics that mimicked his style when I was a kid.

Dean's artwork was amazing though his cover for Heaven & Earth in my opinion is a return to form (I loved Fly From here but hated the cover and the Ladder was just ok in terms of Dean artwork)
    On my cassette player now:

STAN RIDGWAY-THE BIG HEAT
    On my cassette player now:

STAN RIDGWAY-THE BIG HEAT

Cassette? Fantastic....

• edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    The Thunderball Suite in my cellphone.

Edit: Now to CR'67 OST
    Lawrence of Arabia by Maurice Jarre.

Beautiful and epic sound.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm a really big fan of film scores and orchestral music in general. I also enjoy video game scores as well and some select TV series scores. I'm not a big fan of lyrical music but I love me some instrumental music.

I am currently listening to Elliot Goldenthal's score for Batman & Robin.
    Picking up a new record player today. Well, I say new, it's not new I'm buying a second hand one. My current one has given up and left me in need for something new. The reason I'm going second hand is because I think that these new ones that seem to be available are not of the same quality as older models. Plus, my budget doesn't allow me to go for a top end model.
    YOLT soundtrack at work, The Who Hits 50 + Hot Chocolate's Greatest Hits + The Crusaders' 1 at home
    Picking up a new record player today. Well, I say new, it's not new I'm buying a second hand one. My current one has given up and left me in need for something new. The reason I'm going second hand is because I think that these new ones that seem to be available are not of the same quality as older models. Plus, my budget doesn't allow me to go for a top end model.

I need to get a new record player someday, as I have lots of albums. Rats destroyed the one I last had.

Currently on my cassette player:

SONIC YOUTH-DIRTY.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't and won't get a record player for vinyl while living overseas, so it is all CDs for me here - which is fine. I may go back to some on vinyl and get a good player after I retire (6 years away). My CD collection makes me happy, good quality, and I bought a new CD player last fall, which had made a huge difference. Great sound. :)

Now listening to: 1970 A Beard of Stars (Tyrannosaurus Rex; Marc Bolan)

Obviously missed that. Apologies.

No need to apologize, and this is a wider topic and might work better on the whole.

I'll come back later, since tackling this would take some time, and I can't do it now.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks to the 2nd Trailer for High-Rise, I have recently rediscovered Tangerine Dream's Love on a Real Train, first heard during that iconic scene of sexual awakening in 1983's Risky Business, Tom Cruise's breakout film.

I'm currently chilling to this 2008 version which goes very well with the Tokyo train ride visuals. Who would have thought that something so repetitive could sound so sublime.

<a href=https://youtube.com/watch?v=epOf2RLqLdw target="_blank"> click here to watch a 2008 version of Tangerine Dream's Love on a Real Train on youtube</a>
    Currently listening to
    THE SHAMEN-IN GORBACHEV WE TRUST
    Well, from have a record player that had gone kaput a week ago, I ended up with 3. One I bought from someone second had and 2 that I had given to me from family members. One of the players given to me has been passed back as I know they had that as a backup in case theirs was to go bust, so I now have these 2 which should serve me very well for a good while. This monster is the one I'll be using primarily though.

24119762224_7af85bcb84_k.jpg