Nikki van der Zyl - Voice Dubber Extraordinaire

Comments

• Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    So this is what internet censorship looks like...
    CIA wrote:
    this thread is still alive. Someone said it was locked..

There's another one that was locked. This one is alive but it doesn't bump, sneaky way of shutting a discussion down quietly.
  • Re Nikki van der Zyl's involvement in re-voicing several Bond Girls, Boldfinger quipped: "Impressive indeed. I´m surprised she didn´t re-voice Gert Frobe too ;-)". Well, she might not have actually dubbed Fröbe's voice, but on BBC1's Antiques Roadshow (broadcast 17.04.2011) she stated categorically that she coached the German actor "coached him all the way through because when he came over he didn’t speak much English." In particular, she states that it was she who taught Fröbe how to say his most famous line in Goldfinger. The exchange with presenter Fiona Bruce went as follows:
    NvdZ: In fact, we went over this [the famous line] the night before we started filming it, and he [Fröbe] was sort of saying: “Bond says, ‘Do you expect me to talk?’ and then Goldfinger says, ‘No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die.’” Well, he’s a German actor – (she mimics a ponderous German accent) – “N o, I e x p e c t y o u t o d i e.” And I said, don’t do it like that - throw it away: “No, I expect you to die.” And then he says it like that in the film!
    FB: And that’s all down to you!
    NvdZ: Yes!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Re Nikki van der Zyl's involvement in re-voicing several Bond Girls, Boldfinger quipped: "Impressive indeed. I´m surprised she didn´t re-voice Gert Frobe too ;-)". Well, she might not have actually dubbed Fröbe's voice, but on BBC1's Antiques Roadshow (broadcast 17.04.2011) she stated categorically that she coached the German actor "coached him all the way through because when he came over he didn’t speak much English." In particular, she states that it was she who taught Fröbe how to say his most famous line in Goldfinger. The exchange with presenter Fiona Bruce went as follows:
    NvdZ: In fact, we went over this [the famous line] the night before we started filming it, and he [Fröbe] was sort of saying: “Bond says, ‘Do you expect me to talk?’ and then Goldfinger says, ‘No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die.’” Well, he’s a German actor – (she mimics a ponderous German accent) – “N o, I e x p e c t y o u t o d i e.” And I said, don’t do it like that - throw it away: “No, I expect you to die.” And then he says it like that in the film!
    FB: And that’s all down to you!
    NvdZ: Yes!

Hmmm. Is that Nikki rewriting history as is perhaps her wont? It's pretty well documented that Frobe was revoiced by a chap called Michael Collins isn't it. A bit naughty of Nikki to steal credit for another voiceover artists work.
  • Yes interesting she never credited Michael Collins. She also heads her website up with "The First Lady Of Bond" now linking to an article why Eunice Gayson has no right to claim that title in her autobiography!
  • oo7oo7
    http://www.nikkivanderzyl.co.uk/page2_5.htm
    A few of you on this forum might be interested to know you are official endorsers of her book.
    Well that's up to her.

I don't see any endorsement for her book there just random comments copied from a forum. Seeing as I've never read her book I could hardly be accused of plugging it.

I do endorse Nikki's work on the early Bond films and wonder why there has to be such a controversy. She clearly has a screw loose but that to me is far less interesting than why Roger Moore suddenly retracted his foreword and the owners off this website want to suppres us even discussing her.
    With all the talk of dubbing i thought i would bring this thread back for those who havent seen it.

I have listed all the dubbing Nikki did for the Bond films...quite a gal !!
    double post
    barryt007 wrote:
    With all the talk of dubbing i thought i would bring this thread back for those who havent seen it.

Haha!!! I take you haven't read the entirety of this saga Barry old chap? That's the whole point - you can't bring it back. You can double post as much as you want but it will never bump to the top of the list.

'Computer glitch' apparently.
    Well well, look who's back.

Great to see you with us again @Wiz. :-)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,371
    @TheWizardOfIce, I was surprised to check the 'Online' list and see that you were on it. It's nice to see you back once more!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Indeed, great to have you back old Ice pal! >:)
    barryt007 wrote:

Haha!!! I take you haven't read the entirety of this saga Barry old chap? That's the whole point - you can't bring it back. You can double post as much as you want but it will never bump to the top of the list.

'Computer glitch' apparently.

I wonder is that the same computer glitch that put paid to the Activity page or was that another one?
    I'm watching this thread's progress with much interest. Keep it going, chaps. Down with censorship!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Well, it's still here

The story of Miss Van der Zyl needs greater attention, I think: it's one of the few black eyes in EON's/Bond's film history.
    MASSIVE BUMP!!!! This woman needs recognition!!
  • But she probably did a lot to get none.
    JCRendle wrote: »
    MASSIVE BUMP!!!! This woman needs recognition!!

You can keep bumping for all eternity mate but it will make no odds.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    She did not dub Jayne Seymour. But her other dubs were quite lovely.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    What? Is this a secret thread?
    Ohhhkayyyy.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    chrisisall wrote: »
    What? Is this a secret thread?
    Ohhhkayyyy.

Yes. Shhh. You're in the inner circle now.
    edited March 2015 Posts: 9,117
    I'm actually amazed a Mod posted a link to this thread. I wonder if he might have been liquidated as routine precaution just like a tourist snapping a pic of the Ning Po?

Or are they linking to it to try and show they are open and have nothing to hide on this matter? Apart from not letting it bump of course.

Perhaps I might suggest they lock this thread because of the bumping 'glitch' and let us start a new one so that we can discuss Nikki's contribution properly? I wonder how well that would go down?
    I'm actually amazed a Mod posted a link to this thread. I wonder if he might have been liquidated as routine precaution just like a tourist snapping a pic of the Ning Po?

Or are they linking to it to try and show they are open and have nothing to hide on this matter? Apart from not letting it bump of course.

Perhaps I might suggest they lock this thread because of the bumping 'glitch' and let us start a new one so that we can discuss Nikki's contribution properly? I wonder how well that would go down?

Like a lead balloon I would imagine. :))
    I've heard a lot of controversy regarding Nikki van der Zyl. What is it all about?
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    Well this is all very fascinating to me.

As to the notion of Van der Zyl having a screw loose or whatever your choice of phrase, if hypothetically someone like Connery lost their mind and became a raving lunatic, shouting about not getting enough credit, money, or whatever, we would all wax poetic about how sad that is, some might even donate to mental health research, and life would go on. Clearly there is more to this than the mere going ons of an aging contract actress/voice talent, but what exactly I could not possibly say.

Van der Zyl's site does look painfully amateur and garish, employing static HTML cira 1995 and for that she should be embarrassed but lets set that aside for a sec. Sure she never got a screen credit. Neither did about a bazillion other people who worked on Dr. No etc. (a practice which I applaud by the way: the credits for Lord of the Rings EE DVD runs a ludicrous 20+ minutes for crying out loud!). Actually, to be exact, taking Dr.No as an example I count 45 names on-screen while IMDB has about 128 names (including Van der Zyl), many of which are uncredited on-screen speaking parts! And by the way, though he did get credit, Binder never got any royalties for the gun-barrel, but he at least had the good sense to turn that into an amusing anecdote (as told by Salztman Jr.).

That said, its no secret she did the dubs, darn well if I may, and is thus part of the Bond legacy and history, at least as much as Crab Key Guard #2, Decontamination Technician, or Prof. Dent's Secretary (and myriad others), though one could argue Van der Zyl's contribution was perhaps more noteworthy, at least with the perspective of posterity. If someone somewhere doesn't like that, well they just need to suck it up and deal with it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe her name is even mentioned in the Patrick Macnee narrated documentaries on the DVDs and Blu-rays (which is more than can be said for the aforementioned uncredited roles).

Now, as far as the downright bizarre circumstances surrounding this thread, enough has been said, but for my part as a layperson here, such circumstances only serve to conjure up suppositions that someone somewhere, who would rather attention not be paid to the subject, has considerable influence over the operations of this fan site. Who could that be and why? I couldn't possibly imagine, but if I tried I'd probably cook up some fantasy about fear of a court somewhere on earth in this overly litigious society of ours surreptitiously serving someone an order to do something or other they'd rather not do... or maybe its just an old fashioned pissing match. I don't know.

If I start a thread about, say, Jimmy Page's uncredited contribution on the Goldfinger soundtrack, would that manifest the same odd behavior as this thread? I wonder...
    sunsanvil wrote: »

If I start a thread about, say, Jimmy Page's uncredited contribution on the Goldfinger soundtrack, would that manifest the same odd behavior as this thread? I wonder...

I very much doubt it. It seems only Nikki threads don't bump.

Anyway nice to have you on the Nikki thread @sunsanvil which exists as a metaphor for truth and free speech in the face of authoritarianism. Make sure you favourite it as for obvious reasons it doesn't bump!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bump! Go ahead and bump!
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    This is one of the most funny and interesting threads in mi6... Just wanted to say it.

(Loved Nikki's work, by the way)
    ggl007 wrote: »
    (Loved Nikki's work, by the way)

Be careful saying that mate. I'm pretty sure Litvinenko once posted on here the opinion that Nikki was a talented dubbing artist.
This discussion has been closed.