The X-Files Discussion Thread

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 I've just watched the first 5 episodes of season 5. This may be the best season yet IMO.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Like a lot of shows it's the 'will they won't they' aspect that kept us tuned in.
    Maybe short, but exciting none the less.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    l've finally finished season 5, which IMO is the best season yet, and I just finished watching the 1998 film. The film starts out quite slow, but as soon a Mulder and Scully reaches the corn field, the plot steps on the gas pedal and never stops until the end credits. I give the film a 7.5/10. Pretty fun big screen continuation of the tv show. Next stop: Season 6! I'll continue soon. :D
    Decent trailer I'll definitely watch it, for me also it was around season 5 and 6 I lost interest. Mulder and Sculley is what made the show great.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    ohfilms1 wrote: »
    Maybe short, but exciting none the less.

Great - thanks very much for posting this, @ohfilms1!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I consider myself a "fan" of The X-Files, I watched it when it originally aired (until season 7) I bought the DVD boxes and watched them twice.
    I'm currently re-watching them in High Definition being in the middle of season 6.

Not sure though, it would make my Top 10 TV Shows that I would take with me on the island.
    edited September 2015 Posts: 15,686
    I just finished season 6 and 7. Absolutely wonderful. A small dip in quality from the earlier seasons, but it's still one of the best and most addictive shows I've ever seen.
    I would think they will rebroadcast the full series for binge watching before the new x-files series starts on some cable channel. I'm not sure if someone already posted it, but I get Netflix and I just did a search, and they have the entire series. For those who don't get Netflix and have access, it's terrific. You get a ton of stuff For a low monthly fee.
    @DaltonCraig007
    @smitty

Just finished season 7 as well. I'm watching it on Netflix, the whole thing.

The best thing is that it is in High Definition and it really looks fantastic.

Thanks to Netflix I have seen some really good stuff lately.
    Fringe, Lost, House, Dexter.
    And just a few days ago 9 seasons of Supernatural popped up on Netflix which is bloody great. To buy all seasons on Blu-ray would cost a fortune, and I lost track of Supernatural after the third season on TV.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 725
    @DaltonCraig007
    @smitty.

Just finished season 7 as well. I'm watching it on Netflix, the whole thing.

The best thing is that it is in High Definition and it really looks fantastic.

Thanks to Netflix I have seen some really good stuff lately.
    Fringe, Lost, House, Dexter.
    And just a few days ago 9 seasons of Supernatural popped up on Netflix which is bloody great. To buy all seasons on Blu-ray would cost a fortune, and I lost track of Supernatural after the third season on TV.

Ain't Netflix great! They have all of Mad Men available too. Am not sure, but I'd guess breaking Bad also. Regular cable services would rob you for the stuff available on Netflix for no extra charges. As you note, , It's cheaper to get Netflix to get at all kinds of stuff than to buy the Blu-Rays, and you get a lot more. We got it to watch House of Cards, not realizing all the tons of other good stuff we'd also get access to. We still pay for basic cable just to get local and network stuff, but I know there are ways to stream that stuff too. Just haven't tried it yet.

That looks great! Thanks, @DaltonCraig007!

Love it! So can't wait for this show to return to our TV screens!!! \:D/
  • Permission to squee! :D
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,518
    Can't wait! Had dinner with the Smoking Man (William Davis) a couple of months ago, he's the founder of my acting school in Vancouver :D Incredibly nice guy.

Really looking forward to this.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    The Smoking Man and Mr. White remind me of each other.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Two years ago I re-watched all mythology episodes in chronological order. What a joy that was.

Anyway, prepare for the continuation of "The X-Files" this January with this wonderful new stylized trailer:

And here the full 2 min trailer with footage from the first 6 episodes:
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    The Smoking Man and Mr. White remind me of each other.

Yes, that thought had occurred to me to, funnily enough.
    Anyone saw the new episode last night?
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Don't get it until Feb here in the UK. Hopefully there will be the correct use of spoiler tags. Please.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Coming up this Thursday here hallelujah!

The first and last episode is apparently a "Mythology" episode.Episodes 2-5 are "Monster of the week" episodes.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited January 2016 Posts: 7,518
    Was lucky enough to work with the smoking man (William Davis) over the weekend while he helped us out with a student film we were doing by directing us. Such an awesome talent, and great guy!
    Haven't seen the new X-Files stuff, but looking forward to checking it out.
    12565378_636497165753_4884799777013763539_n.jpg?oh=0a75bfb322a6fcdb672f6239885962ee&oe=5739D6C5
    Don t let him fool you into smoking!
    I watched the first episode on Sunday but just could not get much into the second episode on Monday. I will tune in next week and see if I can keep interest
    Watched the first episode and a half, then I fell asleep, Goddamnit. Was resting my eyes a few seconds because it was late and I get up early. When I opened them again I was very confused, because what I saw was Sex And The City. I had no idea why that Mr Big was in X-Files. Oh well.
    Have now finished this latest season, and wonder if anyone else feels disappointed?

The script seems so rushed, like thay tried putting 26 episodes worth of dialigue, mythology references and the latest popular conspiracy theories into just six.

This felt like fan fiction to me.
    I wouldn't know where to begin on the new 6 X-Files episodes.

Needless to say, to get more X-Files with the original actors, is a dream come true.
    Maybe the best thing ever happening for me since the continuation of Dallas, which got 1 1/2 absolutely stunning seasons. Sadly after Larry Hagman's death things went downwards fast.

I did not expect too much from the new X-Files episodes. Having seen the last movie, which was rather disappointing and felt like fan fiction, these 6 new episodes offer a lot of high quality tv, that can without problems equal other popular current high quality tv shows.

After the third episode, it felt, as if The X-Files never left. I like what they have done within 6 episodes.
    Just look at the mess they made with Heroes Reborn. That's an example of how it is not done.

I can't go into any plot developments of course without spoiling. But let's just say, many issues of the past get touched. They don't try to reinvent the show. It's more of the same but transformed into today, and there is a lot of humour in it because times have changed so much (smartphones, social media etc).

I really wish they would make another season, even if it's only another 6 episodes.
    Of course that will solely depend on the availability of the main actors.
    My problem with the new series of shows is that the original series for at least the first five years was like lightning in a bottle. Kind of impossible to recapture. To much happened to the characters and the endless plot twists since those early years when the Mulder Scully chemistry and the wild and crazy scripts were so great. I enjoyed the were wolf ep as it had that same great writer who wrote some of the terrifically funny early eps. The new eps were not bad at a all, They were ok, but like the movies, the new eps just couldn't recapture the original run. Even the original series lost lots of its mojo after about 5-6 years when the plots got to convoluted and the new actors didn't have the same magic as Mulder and Scully.
    Judging by the end of the last episode, it looks like they want to do more.