Last Bond Movie You Watched

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,686
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    GE. Again. I loved it. Again.

I've stated it elsewhere, but I'm going to try and see just how many times I can feasibly watch this movie in 2016. Two down, countless more times to go.

@Creasy47 I also want to severely test the rewatchability of some of my favorite Bond films this year (TMWTGG, TSWLM, FYEO, OP, TLD, LTK, GE, TND, TWINE, CR, QOS...) by watching them as many times as I can this year.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    GE is easy for me to rewatch and not tire of it. I'm fairly certain I could watch it two or three times each week this year and not get bored.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 you've made me want to rewatch the film, which I'll do so tonight!
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 3,336
    @DaltonCraig007 and @Creasy47, don't forget to update your viewings on the Bond Movie Meter 2016 thread :D. And Goldeneye is a very rewatchable bond movie in my opinion, so im curious how many viewings you will get to.
    @DaltonCraig007, atta boy! I wrapped it up earlier this morning and I could feasibly re-watch it again tonight.

@Crazysoul95, I did a little bit ago! If I can stick with my plan, you might see me bumping/updating that thread a lot over the course of the year.
    Watching the very end of YOLT on ITV. Fun film.
    GE. This film just keeps delivering an insane amount of fun.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'm watching the first Die Hard again too. Despite McClane becoming a full-blown action hero in later films, here he remains fairly grounded.

You can imagine the likes of Harry Callahan or Jack Reacher going through a similar situation and using their cunning and tough personality to survive.

Willis himself is no Bond though. Too American.

I saw Die Hard recently, as i wanted to remember how good the late Alan Rickman was as Hans Gruber.
    Still an excellent watch, though it does seem strange now to see Bruce Willis in a film with a head of hair.

Birdleson wrote: »
    When I saw both DIE HARD and LETHAL WEAPON in the theatre, I remember thinking, "Why aren't the Bond films this intense anymore?" They both (not the shoot 'm up aspect, necessarily) caught that Bond scope and vibe better than the actual series had since 1977.

Well EON did try to copy those those films in style some what by filming LTK with that harder edge style, and even had the same composer.
    Unfortunately, the film makers made one big mistake, LTK was totally devoid of the humour and light heartedness, that made Die Hard and Lethal Weapon so popular with N.American audiences in particular.

mepal1 wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I'm watching the first Die Hard again too. Despite McClane becoming a full-blown action hero in later films, here he remains fairly grounded.

You can imagine the likes of Harry Callahan or Jack Reacher going through a similar situation and using their cunning and tough personality to survive.

Willis himself is no Bond though. Too American.

I saw Die Hard recently, as i wanted to remember how good the late Alan Rickman was as Hans Gruber.
    Still an excellent watch, though it does seem strange now to see Bruce Willis in a film with a head of hair.

Excellent, excellent film, and it's the best Christmas movie of all time! :D

Was going to watch it tonight, but I settled on 'Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation' instead. Might watch it after if I'm up for it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Excellent, excellent film, and it's the best Christmas movie of all time! :D

Was going to watch it tonight, but I settled on 'Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation' instead. Might watch it after if I'm up for it.
    Agreed, it is the best Christimas movie imho. I remember hoping for an actioner in a skyscraper (after watching the Towering Inferno as a kid on VHS) and Willis delivered with this classic.

Actually I think it and MI-RN are both classics.

I will watch DH again soon myself, in honour of Rickman.
    'Goldfinger'

I used to love this as a kid, but the last few times I've seen it, it failed to impress me, and I found it to be a pretty big bore. But, for some reason today, I was oddly in the mood for everything about this movie: the title song, the PTS, the characters, the finale, all of it, I couldn't explain it, so I watched it this evening and I was far from disappointed. It's classic Bond and classic allies and classic villains, all wrapped in an intense plot. Really enjoyed myself this time around.
    Excellent. And I'm glad that it was all wrapped up in intense pot.

Yes. Pot plot pot, *ahem*, "plot."
    GF also greatly improved in my list few viewings. Connery is top form, Goldfinger and Oddjob are amongst my favorite villains, an endless selection of classic scenes. The PTS is so great that I can't help but just sit down and enjoy the ride for the remainder of the film.
    Connery is most certainly at his best again here, and he's given some really great lines to work with, too. I love Oddjob, too, especially his legendary lines such as "Ahh!" or "Aha! Aha!"
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I love Oddjob, too, especially his legendary lines such as "Ahh!" or "Aha! Aha!"

=))
    @Birdleson, that was my biggest gripe over the last few viewings: Bond spends a solid 1/3 or so of the movie being held hostage, so it tends to get a little slow.
    I was actually surprised at how fast the 'Bond held hostage' section goes by. The final assault on Fort Knox seemed to start fairly quickly in my last few viewings.
    I know that bothers others far more than it does me. He does a lot of interesting and cool stuff while he's held hostage. It's not like he just sits bound to a chair and muzzled.

That's true, but the pacing just seems much slower for me once it gets to this section. I do like that he manages to break out and do a little infiltration, rumble in the hay with Pussy, and stow the homer on Solo before he leaves, as fruitless as that is.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Just finished watching the greatest film ever made in the entire history of the cinema. Or OHMSS as we call it. What was special about tonight's viewing was that I watched the Blu-Ray via my HD projector blown up to approx. 120" x 51". It looked absolutely wonderful and took me back to 1975 (or thereabouts) when I first saw it at my local Odeon in a double-bill with YOLT. It's amazing (and inevitable I suppose) how much more detail you pick up on when it's projected. And at this scale it shows just how beautifully the Bond's have been restored and remastered. The clarity and richness of the picture is breathtaking. On the sound front I opted for the original mono mix rather than the 5.1. Not sure which 007 adventure I'm going to give the big screen treatment to next. Probably either FRWL or TB.
    SKYFALL. Very good Bond film.
    Dan & Judi give stellar performances in it. And the song by Adele is magnificent.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I didn't watch that many Bonds last year, I doubt it was more than 5. But this year is going to be different, because this year is an anniversary for me. 2016 marks 20 years as a Bond fan, so it felt appropriate that the first Bond of 2016 that I should watch, would be the first Bond that I saw...

You Only Live Twice
    I enjoyed this film more when I was younger. YOLT used to be a definitive top 5 Bond for me, but the last time I ranked the films, YOLT was barely in the top 10. I think i'll always have a fondness for it (the title track is one of the best in the series), but I don't blindly love the film like I used to.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    [quote="MajorDSmythe;544710"

You Only Live Twice
    YOLT used to be a definitive top 5 Bond for me, but the last time I ranked the films, YOLT was barely in the top 10. I think i'll always have a fondness for it (the title track is one of the best in the series), but I don't blindly love the film like I used to.[/quote]

This perfectly describes my relationship with AVTAK.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 12,242
    I didn't watch that many Bonds last year, I doubt it was more than 5. But this year is going to be different, because this year is an anniversary for me. 2016 marks 20 years as a Bond fan, so it felt appropriate that the first Bond of 2016 that I should watch, would be the first Bond that I saw...

You Only Live Twice
    I enjoyed this film more when I was younger. YOLT used to be a definitive top 5 Bond for me, but the last time I ranked the films, YOLT was barely in the top 10. I think i'll always have a fondness for it (the title track is one of the best in the series), but I don't blindly love the film like I used to.

I know exactly how you feel. I think YOLT has dropped the most in my ranking, from being a sure-fire Top 10 entry all the way to #17. I still like it, but I recognize it as the weakest of the golden age entries.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    2016 marks 20 years as a Bond fan

Congrats!
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,497
    To be honest I haven't had much interest to watch any Bond after SP. I've said in a previous post - nothing terribly offensive, it just left me feeling deflated. But I was home sick these past 2 days, and there's nothing better then curling up in a blanket with a cup of tea and a few hours of 007 to get over a cold.

I gave <b>License to Kill</b> a go. It has improved since the last time I've seen it. First off, Dalton is superb. He gives a low key performance, but injects a controlled intensity to the character. I say controlled because I can tell he is feeling a lot in the scenes, but somehow is able to maintain his cool and trusts his ability to handle the situation. Dalton also does so much acting with his steely blue eyes. You know what he is thinking and you can even see him reading people in several scenes. Dalton is the ultimate Fleming Bond in my mind.

Robert Davi is a great actor and brings a lot of charisma to ever scene he is in. He combines ruthlessness with a touch of humor and even a bit of warmness, that you end of kind of liking his character - an excellent trait for a villain I might add. The story is padded out with other villains: Krest, Dario, Kilifer, Butcher which really just serve to demonstrate Sanchez's influence effectively.

Lupe and Pam both serve the story well, and I was pleased to see Lupe not be a sacrificial lamb; that her ability to get out of Sanchez's web was a victory in itself. Hooking up with the President so nonchalantly at the end was a bit awkward though, but maybe that was meant as a throwaway gag. I really liked Pam this time, she seemed genuine and tough, but with a sensitive side. Carey Lowell really is charming.

John Glen's direction was effective. I think "journeyman director" is fitting. He doesn't bring the grandiosity a director like Lewis Gilbert would, but he keeps the story moving. The screenplay by Maibaum and MGW is done well. This was Maibaum's last Bond film and you can sense his influence in the balance of seriousness and comedy - he always got this right. On that note, I had forgotten or didn't realize that there is quite a bit of humor in this film. Story-wise, I like that Bond is able to stay in the villain's good graces until the very end, even able to turn the villain against another baddie, a neat little story device. The cinematography is rather dull, but the action looks good. The locations feel underused and some of them are just a bit boring to begin with. The set pieces don't really dazzle the imagination either, though this could be intentional to go for a more realistic approach, still they look drab. Kamen's score is fine and is a serviceable Bond score. IMO this is the best gunbarrel, the music sets up the intensity of the film perfectly. I could do without the theme song - it's that late 80's schmaltzy light RnB production I can't stand.

Overall, LTK has a lot of great scenes, the story moves along and has plenty of twists and turns, the characters are nicely developed and well played by the actors. This feels like an attempt to shake up the formula a bit and almost feels like a spiritual companion film to CR. I give License to Kill a solid 7.5/10, and probably ranked somewhere around #10.

JBFan626 wrote: »
    I give License to Kill a solid 7.5/10
    I loved your thoughtful review sir!
    But as it happens to be about my favourite Bond movie, I give it a 9/10 personally (only FRWL is a solid 10/10).
    :D
    Thanks @chrisisall. I'd agree, FRWL is as close of a 10/10 that I can think of, though I still prefer OHMSS as my #1
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    From a Bond film that has slipped down my ranking, to a Bond film that has climbed up my list...

For Your Eyes Only

Like Bond during the mounting climbing sequence, FYEO has steadily climbed up my ranking, last time I think I put it in at #6, and I don't feel as though it would be any different now. It's not perfect, but I can appreciate that it was an attempt to recalibrate the series after the silliness of Moonraker.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    I haven't seen a Bond film since Christmas Day. Yes, Christmas Day. I live none too far from some relatives and shortly before the holidays they borrowed my Bond 50 set. On Christmas Day, of all days, without even asking if I was interested, they chose to watch FRWL and TB. FRWL was before supper, TB came after. It made for a damn fine December 25th, let me tell you that much.