Origin of Eon's Name?

edited December 2011 in General Discussion Posts: 5,745
I was reading through Eon's wiki earlier and I came across this fun little bit of info.

When the James Bond game title "Everything or Nothing" was released, serving the abbreviation EoN, many questioned if the saying was the root of naming the new-found company Eon.

Albert Broccoli repeatedly stated that the company's name, Eon, never actually stood for anything, but it is highly suspicious.

Do you think its an abbreviation for possibly a favorite saying of Cubby? If not what else could it stand for (appropriately)? Or does the word Eon have something to do with the possibility of the intent for the company's James Bond series lasting so long, considered 'eons' in the film-making world.

Comments

No, Eon productions was formed at the Eon Hotel, so they borrowed the name.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 5,745
    Virage wrote:
    No, Eon productions was formed at the Eon Hotel, so they borrowed the name.

trudat?! No, really? Did not know that. Is this confirmed?
    It was on of the Inside....... documentarys on the DVDs I think it was on DN.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Interesting. I didn't know that.
  • SharkShark Banned
    Virage wrote:
    Eon productions was formed at the Eon Hotel...

Which one?

"Eon" is also a variant spelling of "Aeon", which refers to a very long, indefinite period - when used in a scientific context, it refers to a billion years, or to an "age" (ie the stone age, ice age, bronze age, etc.).
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,856
    ^^New York? Can't rember exactly where but it is my gut feeling
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Or does the word Eon have something to do with the possibility of the intent for the company's James Bond series lasting so long, considered 'eons' in the film-making world.
    "Eon" is also a variant spelling of "Aeon", which refers to a very long, indefinite period - when used in a scientific context, it refers to a billion years, or to an "age" (ie the stone age, ice age, bronze age, etc.).

;)
    Eon is in fact 'Everything or Nothing' which is what Broccoli and Saltzman decided to call it because taking over the Bond mantle and bringing it to the screen was such a daunting task as they were such a literary related phenomenon and Dr No would either create a whole series (as proven) hence everything or fall fat on its face and create nothing.
    There are a whole ream of literary sources out there released over the last 50 years that back this up.
    I'm not 100% but it may be in Broccolis biography too.
    That sounds like an urban legend.
  • I believe Michael G. Wilson once asked Cubby if EON meant "Everything or Nothing", and Cubby didn't even want to tell him! (There was some funny quote of what he actually said, but I forgot it)

So, we'll never know for sure.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    I believe Michael G. Wilson once asked Cubby if EON meant "Everything or Nothing", and Cubby didn't even want to tell him! (There was some funny quote of what he actually said, but I forgot it)

So, we'll never know for sure.

I believe Cubby said to Wilson "I've never heard of that one!".
    I always thought it stood for "everything or nothing". I read that somewhere years ago and just accepted it as gospel.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I believe Cubby said to Wilson "I've never heard of that one!"

Exactly. Eon is not an acronym.

Agent005 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I believe Cubby said to Wilson "I've never heard of that one!"

Exactly. Eon is not an acronym.

Yes but was the game named after that encounter? Kind of interesting how an acronym of the game's name is in fact EON.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I would say so, yes. The game was named after the urban legend that surrounds the origin of EON's name.
  • Interesting. You learn something new every day. I had heard that EON standing for Everything or Nothing was a post hoc urban legend but I never heard the bit about the hotel before.
    I dimly remember having heard in the 80s (mind you: heard; no idea if there's any truth to it) that Broccoli considerd the 'everything or nothing' reading highly unfavourable and therefore never admitted it. He'd have preferred if it was forgotten altogether according to that story. Can't really say I get why, nothing wrong with 'everything or nothing' in my book.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Not wanting to resurrect an old thread for no reason - merely wondering if we have some updates on this. It's been more than six years since the last post was made here.
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 847
    According to the official old website of DAD (dead from long, but you still can find the content of the french version of the old site copy/pasted here : http://www.commander007.net/2016/01/24102/) :
    Cette conversation se déroulait sur un pont entre la Corée du Nord et la Corée du Sud, lieu d’une scène dramatique clé du film. Tout en parlant, nous regardions l’équipe mettre en place le décor de la prochaine scène et j’en ai profité pour obtenir une réponse à la question posée par Jacques Belzile. Jacques voulait connaître l’origine du nom «Eon Productions », qu’il sait n’avoir aucun lien avec l’expression « Everything Or Nothing » (« Tout ou Rien ») comme on a déjà pu le suggérer. Ce nom viendrait- il alors de Charles de Beaumont, Chevalier d’Eon et espion français du 18ème siècle ?

Raté ! Mettons les choses au clair : Michael me confirme qu’il n’y faut voir rien de plus que ce qu’en dit le dictionnaire lui-même.

Aeon (US) eon, n 1. temps infini, période incommensurable. 2. éternité.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Thank you, @moneyofpropre2! I had to brush up my French a bit but I think I got the general idea. ;)