R.I.P. David Bowie

Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
in Music Posts: 1,874
In utter shock this morning re the passing of David Bowie. A great artist who gave a lot. Remember seeing Starman on Top of The Pops and was hooked from then. Only got to see him live once and that was on the Serious Moonlight tour, cracking show. Thoughts go out to his family, friends and of course fans.
There's a StarMan waiting in the sky
What are your memories of this truly great artist?

Comments

• PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I'm listening to the playlist Spotify made for him. Pretty sad.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Man Who Fell To Earth, Labyrinth, all the music... he was his own genre. RIP my man.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    RIP to an enigmatic legend.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Another legend passes. RIP David Bowie.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    R.I.P.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Well done @Lancaster007 for creating a separate thread for this.

Someone of such iconic status should not be lumped in with all and sundry in the general RIP thread.

Mods you should on no account close this thread.

A true legend, icon, genius has left us today. RIP Mr Bowie.

Such a tragedy he never intersected with the world of Bond as he inhabited the same heightened, slightly bizarre universe Bond does.

Bowie singing the main title or as a Bond villain would've been f**king epic!
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I'm considering watching Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence tonight.

True icon.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    Godspeed Mr. Bowie, thanks for all the sounds and visions.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I've truly been upset by this death, David Bowie has been with me since I was very young

I remember getting my first glimpse aged 8 on Top of The Pops witnessing the video to Ashes To Ashes, even at that age I was mesmerised if not a little scared by this other worldly vision and strange hypnotic music.

It's remained my favourite Bowie song as well as one of my all time favourite songs. His body of work is a testament to his talent, that run of albums in the 70's produced some of the greatest rock albums of all time and even in the 80's he was still never resting on his laurels, he still soaked up what was going around him but it never didn't sound like David Bowie. Just listen to Lets Dance or Modern Lovers maybe not his peak but seriously what pop brilliance.

My Wife and I were lucky enough to get to go to the V&A back in 2013 and see the extraordinary exhibition of his life's work. It was quite incredible to witness the impact that he's had on popular culture which I think I can say in the last 50 years no other artist can really compare to.

His eclectic output, his knack for reinvention, he was truly ahead of the pack and everyone else was always catching up. The world is going to be a much duller place without him around.

RIP The Thin White Duke.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well done @Lancaster007 for creating a separate thread for this.

Someone of such iconic status should not be lumped in with all and sundry in the general RIP thread.

Mods you should on no account close this thread.

A true legend, icon, genius has left us today. RIP Mr Bowie.

Such a tragedy he never intersected with the world of Bond as he inhabited the same heightened, slightly bizarre universe Bond does.

On no account will a thread dedicated to the life of the one and only David Bowie be closed following his passing.
    Either singing a title track for a Bond film or acting in one, I know his presence would've been amazing. A missed opportunity. I like to think he would've been a good Zorin in AVTAK. Either way.

RIP Starman

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Though written for a different movie, "Putting Out the Fire" has the stuff of a Bond song. Too bad Bowie never did one. RIP, Thin White Duke.

• RC7RC7

One of the great missed opportunities, on both counts.

One of the greatest songs of all time imo

• SerialHitmanSerialHitman Plotting my revenge
    Nice to see a separate thread dedicated to the great man. We've lost a lot of great musicians in the past few years, but the death of David Bowie is certainly one of the most tragic losses to the industry. He was the very definition of a musical genius and his unique sense of style and musical variety crossed all boundaries and appealed to everyone, both young and old. Even after so many years and so many hits, this video from 1969 will forever be the thing I think of when I hear the name, David Bowie. From the film Love You Till Tuesday, the music video for Space Oddity.

• WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    edited January 2016 Posts: 784
    RIP to great talent and man.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    RIP to great talent and man.

• Here's an article about him turning down Zorin:

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/137082383786/david-bowie-why-he-turned-down-playing-a-james

He would have been an interesting presence, but I think Walken was pretty great and added his own touch of oddness to it. Also of note is that both Sting and Mick Jagger(!) turned down the role too. Apparently EON was determined to get a singer in there somewhere!
  • JNOJNO Finland
    What a sad way to start a new year. A true legend is gone. R.I.P.

First Lemmy died and then Bowie.

The world has less talent and intelligence now.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited January 2016 Posts: 1,727
    He wanted to stay a while longer, but he knew he'd blow our minds...

What a legend. There isn't a true singer or songwriter alive who wasn't somehow influenced by David...
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Nice to see a separate thread dedicated to the great man. We've lost a lot of great musicians in the past few years, but the death of David Bowie is certainly one of the most tragic losses to the industry. He was the very definition of a musical genius and his unique sense of style and musical variety crossed all boundaries and appealed to everyone, both young and old. Even after so many years and so many hits, this video from 1969 will forever be the thing I think of when I hear the name, David Bowie. From the film Love You Till Tuesday, the music video for Space Oddity.

Nice. I for one love his real early stuff - was just listening to the 40th Anniversary edition of David Bowie (The Man The Music - aka Space Oddity) with a great bonus disc.
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81fEE9ZL2pL._SL1300_.jpg
    fantastic stuff.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I've never been one for getting all sentimental over the death of a celebrity or a rock star. I was truly sad when Lennon died as he and MacCartney shaped a decade knowingly or otherwise.
    But when Bowie went I genuinely cried because he was easily the greatest solo star of modern music to come out of the UK.

It's tough to use the term genius, because the likes of Leonardo de Vinci and Shakespeare - these were geniuses.
    Bowie though was as close to it as any rock star ever came.
    Saw Bowie on the Serious Moonlight Tour back in the early 80's. A great performer, fantastic song writer. I read the reason why Bowie turned down Zorin in AVTAK was he was worried his stunt double would get more screen time than himself in the role. RIP Bowie. You'll be missed.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I know there a lot of Nolan fans on these boards, so they'll likely agree with this:

Bowie's turn as Nikola Tesla in The Prestige (an underrated film) is one of his very best film roles.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 2,400
    I posted my thoughts and a summation of Bowie's impact on me as a musician here. Feel free to share. I'd love for this to spread across the internet.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    TripAces wrote: »
    I know there a lot of Nolan fans on these boards, so they'll likely agree with this:

Bowie's turn as Nikola Tesla in The Prestige (an underrated film) is one of his very best film roles.

Great film. And as you say, one of Bowie's best film roles. Really must give that film another watch.
  • RC7RC7
    If you're of a similar age to me, you probably spent a decent portion of your childhood watching Labyrinth. I can't wait for my daughter to see it.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    TripAces wrote: »

Great film. And as you say, one of Bowie's best film roles. Really must give that film another watch.

I concur my favourite Bowie role and 2nd favourite. Nolan film.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    It was a short but powerful appearence. I've wondered if, had CN directed an entry he might have asked Bowie to write/perform the theme. I believe Memento also had a Bowie song over the end credits.
    Legend! Enough said! RIP
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • Vodcast about the David Bowie Connection to James Bond.
    Info taken from John Glen's autobiography
    Stay tuned for more: Die Another Day [Sawh Yaw Téh Dye] Die Another Day