The Last Jedi SPOILER THREAD

Comments

I would have preferred Star Wars Force Awakens begin in Luke Skywalker's space dojo with about a dozen potential Jedi's and you can kind of tell one of them is going to go to the dark side. They fast forwarded a little.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Chang wrote: »
    I would have preferred Star Wars Force Awakens begin in Luke Skywalker's space dojo with about a dozen potential Jedi's and you can kind of tell one of them is going to go to the dark side. They fast forwarded a little.
    A little... but that explains Luke's look at the end...

:-?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Go play Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, that's pretty much exactly how it starts.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Going to see this for a second time with my friend who has yet to see it on Saturday. Couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it the first time around, so I'm interested in seeing just how much fun I have during my second viewing now that I know how it ends.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it the first time around, so I'm interested in seeing just how much fun I have during my second viewing now that I know how it ends.
    Tissues....
    i actually enjoyed it even more second time round. Abrams has done a fine job in crafting a very enjoyable film. Within 5 minutes of the film starting you can tell it's going to be an enjoyable ride. The shot of rey sliding down the sand dune for some reason really sets the tone. And poes "do you talk first" line.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Which reminds me, they got over his death pretty quickly.
    What are you talking about? They first had to blow up the big thing, and then it wasn´t adressed directly, but it wasn´t as if it was ignored or something.

chrisisall wrote: »
    A little... but that explains Luke's look at the end...

:-?
    And that was the best moment of the whole film. And I loved the rest.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The artificial hand suits him. Cool hand Luke.

I'm actually glad they didn't do anything like this: many Jedis banalize the name. In the prequels they were turned into red shirts.
    I am curious about the first Jedi temple that was mentioned. I bet we will be seeing that next time.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I thought Mark Hamill looked splendid in the film!
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I wish i had a well paid job, where all i had to do was to stand near a cliff edge, turn around and say nothing.
    ;)
    Me too. I got goosebumpy.
    Me too. I got goosebumpy.

He even had goosebumps in his face.
    Where does BB8 go to in between films?
    Barbados.
    Barbados.

I just knew you would reply to my post. :)) ;)
    ...doubling as a beach ball.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    ...doubling as a beach ball.

Nice one, he/she/it does look like a beach ball, wonder if its water proof?

• edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    mepal1 wrote: »

I wish i had a well paid job, where all i had to do was to stand near a cliff edge, turn around and say nothing.
    ;)
    When I saw he´s listed second in the end credits, right after Harrison Ford and before all the other actors, I would have laughed out loud, if I hadn´t been so touched by the whole experience.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    To be fair to Mark, he kind of acted the hell out of it, despite not having any lines. But I agree, the whole thing is pretty amusing.
    To be fair to Mark, he kind of acted the hell out of it, despite not having any lines. But I agree, the whole thing is pretty amusing.
    He did indeed. I think he expressed more emotions in those few seconds than he did in the whole first three films.

• OmegaXOmegaX Singapore
    OmegaX wrote: »
    A big chunk of the movie's start was devoted to establishing the characters, which is entirely acceptable (commendable even), if not for the fact that the same amount of time was used later to rush through the climax and resolution of the film. I do recognise that there is a main plot of the plan to destroy StarKiller base, but the plan was introduced (imo) too late into the film and the execution of the mission to the destruction was too rushed, relative to the time for the film to introduce the characters. Furthermore, there were quite a lot of subplots and most of them were left unresolved at the end. From Rey's parentage to Snoke to Kylo Ren to Luke to Hux...it felt mostly as a set-up for another film. A minor issue really but nitpicking is what I do =P

My main gripe would be that the bulk of the new characters are in no way as rounded as those in, for example, Star Wars (ANH for those under 25). There's nothing particularly at stake for any of the characters, neither is there any definable motivation. It's all a bit linear. Finn as a character is pretty flaccid, there's no real weight behind his reasons for fleeing the first order, other than some sort of vague moral obligation, and his stimulus to tag along appears to be Rey. That's all well and good, but we've see that done better with the classic scoundrel in Han.

Even from the end of the very first movie, if you asked a viewer to describe what Han would do in a given situation they'd be able to tell you. The same goes for Luke, Obi-Wan and Leia. They were fully formed, not the finished article (far from it) but they were a character, not just a conduit for exposition. With Finn it's far more opaque (non-existent imo), similarly with Rey and also Poe to a lesser extent. It's masked well by Abrams ability to pull off pure entertainment and pantomime (I mean that in a good way), but I hope these characters are more developed in EP VIII because they need to be elevated, particularly now there is a gargantuan hole following the death of Han.

Interesting..as one would think that having spent much time on introducing the characters would result in fully-formed solid characters. I do agree that they weren't fleshed out, ask me about Poe's personality and I wouldn't have a clue. About Finn, I still could not understand his moral obligation, as most of us seeing a comrade dying in combat would certainly be seeking revenge, and not joining the enemy, no?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    But when your comrades are rounding up and killing unarmed innocents it's enough to make you pause, think and reevaluate where your loyalties lie.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    But when your comrades are rounding up and killing unarmed innocents it's enough to make you pause, think and reevaluate where your loyalties lie.
    That's an affirmative.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Newt.jpg
  • RC7RC7

Then nothing happens for the next 120 minutes. I really, really enjoyed the film but character development (or even character) was slim to non-existent.

Then nothing happens for the next 120 minutes. I really, really enjoyed the film but character development (or even character) was slim to non-existent.
    See: Star Wars VIII.
  • RC7RC7

See: Star Wars VIII.

I will, but it could've happened in VII. Ample time to give me some sense of Rey and Finn.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Saw it again today. It's so damn good. My friend saw it for the first time with me and he was blown away by it as well.