Late Late Show: Pierce Brosnan on Bond and Remington Steele

edited December 2011 in News Posts: 624

This was on last night. There is a bit of Bond content.

Hilarious!

TGJB

Comments

A great reluctance to talk 007, but a fun little clip.
    "I'm not gonna touch that"
    I wish the Bonds would open up for once. They all try and hide it. Well Craig hides it cus its his job to, but it upsets me when Connery, Dalton, and Brosnan are so lock-lipped.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I wish the Bonds would open up for once. They all try and hide it. Well Craig hides it cus its his job to, but it upsets me when Connery, Dalton, and Brosnan are so lock-lipped.

The only man that genuinely seems to embrace his experiences as 007 is good ol' Sir Rog,
    BAIN123 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

The only man that genuinely seems to embrace his experiences as 007 is good ol' Sir Rog,

And I honor him for that. Such an honest and lighthearted man. Don't see how he could ever play a cold-blooded killer. Yet he does so with style.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,882
    Fair dos to Brosnan, he's looking better here than in DAD. And I am interested in seeing Bag Of Bones. Ok, it's got Melissa George in it, but still... ~O)

EDIT
    I don't know why I used that smiley... there's a first time for everything, I guess.
    Brozza always looks like he´s acting, which doesn´t bode well for any actor. He should lighten up. But hey, De Niro does it too. I guess they can´t be all like Hopkins or Hoffman, who really let go in their own different ways and don´t give a damn in interviews. I´ve even seen them cry. Brosnan is always a bit stiff and vain, and at the same time, embarassed. But I can´t help but think: there goes my idol from when I was 15.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited December 2011 Posts: 2,635
    Brosnan looks so funny! I like him, not just because he was the best Bond for me, but because of his great person itself and his charism.

At least for me he is. :)

I just don't like the way he avoids to talk about Bond.
    my favorite bond.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I wish, after all these years, Brosnan would open up more about his time as Bond. I really want to hear his story and favourite moments. It still hurts him by the looks of it, with what happened almost ten years ago.
  • Yeah... you could tell by his body language he was uncomfortable, especially how he nervously reaches for his coffee mug.

Otherwise, that was a hysterical interview. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has likened Sean Connery to a gorilla.... :(|)
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    But i don't understand WHY the hell does Brosnan want to hide his Bond epoch? it wasn't bad, that was great. Seems like he never wanted to be 007.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I find it fantastic that both Dalton and Brosnan could still be playing Bond in 2011. Both aged really, really well. I wouldn't say no to an ageing Bond played by Dalton or Brosnan for the 50th anniversary Bond. I wouldn't say no to be looking like either of them when I hit 60.
  • Univex wrote:
    Brozza always looks like he´s acting, which doesn´t bode well for any actor. He should lighten up. But hey, De Niro does it too. I guess they can´t be all like Hopkins or Hoffman, who really let go in their own different ways and don´t give a damn in interviews. I´ve even seen them cry. Brosnan is always a bit stiff and vain, and at the same time, embarassed. But I can´t help but think: there goes my idol from when I was 15.

I think you really hit the nail on the head with the "Brozza always looks like he´s acting" comment. In some interviews he comes off as more open, and then in others he seems quite closed off. I think it has to do with how much he feels in control in any interview. He alternates between looking tightly coiled, put-off, and then gregarious in this interview based on what they're talking about at any given moment.

But in most interviews he comes off (to me anyway) as if he's always giving a bit of a performance. I remember one interview with him many years ago where he described finally meeting his father. He admitted that he was a bit detatched from the situation and kept wondering how he "should play this scene". To me that really sums up a lot of what he does in acting - often coming off as playing at being Bond instead of just "being Bond". I'm sure he's a nice enough fellow when you get him alone and relaxed but he always seems to be just that little bit forced when there's a camera about. I'd love to have a drink with him sometime where he could just relax and be himself - I'd love to hear his unfiltered take on things.
  • We all become a bit sentimental. I love TD and PB was given the shove (or was he?) for younger tighter buttocks.

This is my fav PB bit/line/actually being Bond:

• edited December 2011 Posts: 1,492
    The surprise to me in that interview was that Brosnan was at least classically trained. Restoration comedy is notoriously difficult.

You would know it from his performances - I would have put him down as a pure TV actor.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 11,189
    The more interviews I see with Pierce the more I understand what u mean @Thelordflasheart. There'she seems to play up to the cameras and show off. I suppose Moore did/does that too but in a slightl less aggressive manner. Im sure the man would be a lot of fun to drink with though - providing u didn't get on to Bond.

That's why (IMO) the role of Adam Lang fits him like a glove. A man who used to be in a high position of power but who has faded (his Bond days) and who sometimes comes across like he is performing.

If there's one thing Pierce should be honoured about regarding Bond it should be the fact that he shared the screen with DL in his final ever scene as Q. If nothing else Pierce should be proud of that.
    Ugh, that music! @forgotmyusername
  • ^the break-beat was a bit over bearing lol.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I think Brosnan out of all the actors loved being Bond and wanted/coveted the role more so than any other. I get the impression that with the other actors they could take it or leave it but for Brosnan, you could just tell it was his dream job. For him to depart the role on less than favourable terms must be tough. Say what u like about the Craig era but if I were Brosnan I'd be somewhat annoyed that Craig is not only getting more of a say in the production development but the producers are taking Craig and his Bond movies far more seriously than they ever did with Brosnan. It's almost as if, the producers used Brosnan more as a Bond marketing campaign instead of developing actual Bond movies.
    actonsteve wrote:
    The surprise to me in that interview was that Brosnan was at least classically trained. Restoration comedy is notoriously difficult.

You would know it from his performances - I would have put him down as a pure TV actor.

A rather cool bit of trivia. One of Brosnan's first ever roles was in a film called The Mirror Crack'd starring Elizabeth Taylor and directed by...Guy Hamilton.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    doubleoego wrote:
    It's almost as if, the producers used Brosnan more as a Bond marketing campaign instead of developing actual Bond movies.

Brosnan was really just the 'face' or 'image' of Bond, plugged into the latest loud, flashy, special effects extravaganza where everything happened around him. I do agree how, due to the level of the films scripts as well, you could say he was used, just to get Bond past the 90's early 00's CGI faze. No acting required.
  • BAIN123 wrote:
    "I'm not gonna touch that"

What needs to be pointed out is that Pierce was a true gentleman here. He was given an opening to bash Craig, given the set up and everything, but didn't take it.

Cheers to him. All Binds should be ambassadors for the series.

This, coupled with: http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2055/pierce-brosnan-daniel-craig-is-one-great-bond#Item_4

and I think it's safe to say Pierce isn't letting old wounds get in the way of his professionalism. A mojito for him.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    ++\\
    Why is it that Sir Roger is the only one who talks fondly of his days in Bondage? Was the experience of world travel, making out with really hot chicks, gaining international fame and one's name becoming a household name so bloody awful???
    The one who should be most thankful is Sir Sean and George. Hell, it put them on the map. The others were established "stars" already.
    James Bond is such an interesting topic and I would love to see the others talk more about their experiences.
    Damn.
    I can understand Pierce still being a bit sore about it. I guess when the next 007 will enter he'll perhaps will be easier about his role in a succesfull franchise.

I find Connery's behaviour towards the 007 franchise far more egocentric.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    I think Brosnan out of all the actors loved being Bond and wanted/coveted the role more so than any other. I get the impression that with the other actors they could take it or leave it but for Brosnan, you could just tell it was his dream job. For him to depart the role on less than favourable terms must be tough. Say what u like about the Craig era but if I were Brosnan I'd be somewhat annoyed that Craig is not only getting more of a say in the production development but the producers are taking Craig and his Bond movies far more seriously than they ever did with Brosnan. It's almost as if, the producers used Brosnan more as a Bond marketing campaign instead of developing actual Bond movies.

^^ That.
    What I find quite ironic is his pre-Bond run-ins.

The Mirror Crack'd - directed by Guy Hamilton
    For Your Eyes Only - Co-starring his first wife Cassandra Harris
    Taffin - starred alongside Alison Doody (Jenny Flex from AVTAK)
    Around the World in 80 Days - played the opening scene alongside Christopher Lee and Patrick Macnee.
    Death Train - starred in a film which featured Christopher Lee as the main bad guy

Not to mention adverts like this:

Can one blame him for coveting the role?