(Ralph Fiennes with Hair +) "Nobody Does it Better" Played By "The Roots" on 'Late Night'

edited December 2011 in News Posts: 555
New York
12/05/11

As one of the most famous living comedians, some may say that nobody does it better than actor and musician Steve Martin. At least, he seems to think so.

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon's house band "The Roots" played the famous theme song from superspy James Bond's tenth screen adventure, The Spy Who Loved Me, for guest Steve Martin's entrance on the talk show's December 5th 2011 episode. However, this was not their first choice.

The song was the punchline of a bit where Martin, displeased that the band played "Walk Like an Egyptian" as he entered, requested that "The Roots" play a different tune, exited the stage, and came back in. The band then played Niel Young's "Old Man." Still displeased, Martin exited once more, but this time the band played "Loser" by Beck when he returned.

Finally, Martin ran up to the band's drummer, Questlove, and whispered into his ear his song request. He exited for the final time, and smoothly reentered to a jazzy and modern rendition of Carly Simon's "Nobody Does It Better."

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,879
    I've always been a fan of both Steve Martin and The Roots. Very smooth. I guess it's too early to get a link for the video?
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 555
    QBranch wrote:
    I've always been a fan of both Steve Martin and The Roots. Very smooth. I guess it's too early to get a link for the video?

Indeed. Just happened a half hour ago. I'm sure it will be on http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/
    in 12 hours or so.

• Ralph Fiennes was on Fallon tonight. No Bond mention, but he has hair.
    The video is up of Martin's interview, but they skipped his entrance.
    Ralph Fiennes was also on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart the other night...but still no mention of Bond 23. Not news I know, but he's really keeping it under wraps.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    You're joking? They dedicated lfive full minutes to it!

It's interesting that not only is he not talking about it, nobody is asking him.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

It's interesting that not only is he not talking about it, nobody is asking him.

Seeing as he wasn't at the press conference, perhaps people don't realise he's part of Skyfall?
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Seeing as he wasn't at the press conference, perhaps people don't realise he's part of Skyfall?

That could do it. A quick google search may help in future interviews. Nevertheless, Fiennes seems like a cool guy. It was funny seeing him play pictionary with a young woman from Ohio as his teammate.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 886
    Ralph Fiennes was on Fallon tonight. No Bond mention, but he has hair.

Yes he was at an award ceremony last week in the UK with the aforementioned hair. ~X(
    Trying to figure out what this tells us.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 1,497

Yes he was at an award ceremony last week in the UK with the aforementioned hair. ~X(

From what it sounds like though, Fiennes has a smaller (but significant) role in the film, as in not many scenes (i.e.: like in FRWL or TB???). Therefore if he is Ernst it could be that either:
    a) he simply has not filmed his scenes yet and will lose the hair when he does
    b). his face is not revealed in SF, like Ernst in FRWL and TB
    c). he's playing Blofeld WITH hair like Max Von Syddow or
    d). he'll have a prosthetic bald head.

a) would seem the most plausible at this point. But there are certainly a lot of factors, so just because he still has hair at this moment doesn't necessarily mean he's not you know who... ;)
  • JBFan626 wrote:

From what it sounds like though, Fiennes has a smaller (but significant) role in the film, as in not many scenes (i.e.: like in FRWL or TB???). Therefore if he is Ernst it could be that either:
    a) he simply has not filmed his scenes yet and will lose the hair when he does
    b). his face is not revealed in SF, like Ernst in FRWL and TB
    c). he's playing Blofeld WITH hair like Max Von Syddow or
    d). he'll have a prosthetic bald head.

a) would seem the most plausible at this point. But there are certainly a lot of factors, so just because he still has hair at this moment doesn't necessarily mean he's not you know who... ;)

Yes all very good points but I really feel he isn't playing Blofeld. :D
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited December 2011 Posts: 1,182
    @JBFan626, we know Fiennes has done some filming for Skyfall. Sarah Coutts, an extra who shot some scenes in November, said she spent a couple of days with Daniel Craig and Ralph Fiennes on set.
  • I still say there is a strong chance he may be the new M.
  • SAMSAM
    When I watched movie productions including The English Patient and The Constant Gardener, I thought Ralph Fiennes had a good James Bond appearance (with flowing blonde hair).

Might have made a decent 90s 007 ?
    STOP!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

That could do it. A quick google search may help in future interviews. Nevertheless, Fiennes seems like a cool guy. It was funny seeing him play pictionary with a young woman from Ohio as his teammate.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

We were talking about Steve Martin's interview. They played a Bond song after Martin didn't like the one they originally played. Its has nothing to do with the Fiennes interview, but an odd coincidence that they're brought up simultaneously. Sillies.