Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @DarthDimi, Both parts of that film are a masterpiece an is my favorite Batman movie to date. I'll always hold a special place in my heart for it as it was the last movie me and my dad watched together and we both enjoyed it. :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Murdock, it's no surprise to me that a guy with an excellent taste, like yourself, enjoys this movie. I agree, it's a masterpiece. The animation could, perhaps, have been slightly better. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful film but compared to what the Japanese are capable of and have been capable of for so long now, the animation in TDKRe isn't superb. But yeah, that's my only minor - extremely minor - beef with the film. Other than that, excellent from start to finish!

I'm sad to read it's the last film you and your dad watched together; then again, it's a good choice if it must be the last.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 9,730
    Trainwreck at my inlaws good god is this film boring and a waste of time.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @DarthDimi, I agree with the Animation, But for what it is, I'm very satisfied. I'm very excited to see the DC Animated version of the Killing Joke, Heck I'd be curious to see them tackle The Dark Knight Strikes Again, what a trippy movie that would make. :D

Watched WALL·E (2008)
    Great film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Saw a movie I heard rave reviews about called 'Tangerine' on Netflix. It was okay, nothing special, though I do admire that it was shot entirely on an iPhone.
    I'll probably get bashed for saying so, but I never cared for The Dark Knight Returns; too much over-the-top, gorey violence for me. I prefer Batman less graphic.

And @001, just saw it a few days ago. I really love it - a lot more than I used to. Have to buy it soon.
  • The Phantom Menace...And I have a terrible confession: I smiled with 2 Jar Jar gags. It may be because it's the first time I watch the movie in English and Ahmed Best did a "better" job than his dub actor: these two scenes are JJB smiling to Obi Wan and then the one greeting R2 an the other small droids.
    Where Eagles Dare

Pretty good
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Where Eagles Dare

Pretty good

Pretty good. That movie is perfection.

Saw QT's 'The Hateful Eight' finally today and wow. I don't know if it's because I didn't have high expectations, due to the fact that none of the trailers had me terribly interested, but I think this might be my new favorite Tarantino film. I had a lot of fun with this whodunit, it was 'Django Unchained' meets 'Reservoir Dogs.' Surprised it's had so many mediocre reviews.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Saw the hateful eight too. SLJ, Kurt Russell, Walter Goggins and Jennifer Jason Leigh stole the show. Hilarious and highly entertaining movie.
    My Top 10 Movies of 2015

1) Sicario (simply the best movie this year)
    2) The Martian
    3) Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation
    4) Bridge of Spies
    5) Spectre
    6) Mad Max: Fury Road
    7) Everest
    8) Bone Tomahawk
    9) SPL 2: A Time for Consequences
    10) Ex Machina

As The Revenant and Hateful 8 aren't due out here until 2016 they're not on my list. And John Wick I saw in October 2014.

And the Stinkers of 2015

1) The Man from UNCLE
    2) The Transporter Refueled
    3) Pan
    4) Jurassic World
    5) Tomorrowland
    6) Hunger Games: Mockingjay pt 2
    7) The Hitman: Agent 47
    8) Point Break
    9) Green Inferno
    10) Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,449
    @bondsum

Reading your lists, it suddenly hit me that my reviews of JW earlier this year and TFA last week, when compared, are quite contradictory. :-S You put both films in the stinkers section, I'd put them both in the top 10 but TFA so much more than JW, which is strange given that in both cases
    I feel like the the movie is a virtual redo of the original one in the series. But in the case of JW, I considered that a bad thing, complaining about the lack of originality, giving it credit only for its slightly better effects. In the case of TFA, by contrast, I'm overjoyed that the film re-tracked the '77 film and improved upon its effects. Now I'm stuck in something of a crisis. :D I sat through JW arms crossed, I sat through TFA with tears of happiness in my eyes, yet both films are to their first chapter in the series what MR was to TWSLM... Darn! :(

I guess in the end I'm so much more into Star Wars than I am into Jurassic Park and thus, I'm so much more forgiving of SW? Or just craving the old stuff like my life depended on it? I don't know. I'm very confused now.

I agree with putting SP, MMFR, MI:RN and EM in the upper list. (Haven't seen those other ones yet.) Personally, I'd put the UNCLE film in that list too, seeing how much fun I had with that one too. (And Age Of Ultron, can't help it, belongs in the upper list as well IMO.)

My top 3 for theatrical films this year?

1) MMFR
    2) SP, TFA
    3) Kingsmen: The Secret Service

Yes, Mad Max did it for me. Splendid, exciting, visually stunning achievement!

Since I got to see Blade Runner in the theatre this year too, I might actually have to go as follows:

1) Blade Runner
    2) MMFR
    3) SP, TFA

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Great because it's fun to see people go totally off the rails.

Batman & Robin
    Oh yes, and Ahnult...
    "That guy cracks me up."
    ;))
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Just did a double bill featuring The Equalizer (2014) and The November Man (2014).

I've rarely had this much fun in my life. Washington and Brosnan, despite both being over 60 years old, still are proper badasses and manage to destroy all the bad guys that are half their age. I really love these 2 films, a throwback to old school action films.
    Just did a double bill featuring The Equalizer (2014) and The November Man (2014).

I've rarely had this much fun in my life. Washington and Brosnan, despite both being over 60 years old, still are proper badasses and manage to destroy all the bad guys that are half their age. I really love these 2 films, a throwback to old school action films.

Very much agreed. I rather enjoyed both films as well and am very much looking forward to their upcoming sequels.

Topaz - Hitchcock does spy-movie, is excellent
    Birds - Hitchcock goes creature feature, very good indeed.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 3,336
    The Gift (2015)

Very good and creepy

Jurassic Park III

I've heard from everyone that this one sucks, but i just had to watch it so that i have seen em all. And yes it did suck, my least fav of the Jurassic franchise
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015). I did like it, but I do think it's a little over-hyped. A solid Star Wars entry, but for me, still far away from the original trilogy in overall quality. It was entertaining and I really liked the characters, it's just that the level of originality was unfortunately low. It had a been there, done that feel, and I really loved the way Return of the Jedi ended, so I'm still iffy on the continuation of Star Wars at all. Again, I liked the movie, but it's not one of the best Star Wars films IMO.
    I guess I didn't allow any emotional attachment to cloud my judgement of Force Awakens when I first viewed it, @DarthDimi. The reason it sits at no 10 of my Stinkers List is for the simple reason it just didn't do anything for me; I felt no emotion nor any plucking at my heartstrings whatsoever where the writers and director intended. I also hugely disliked Poe Dameron, who felt like a character that had wandered in from another series where the folk are all one-dimensional, chisel-jawed outstanding citizens of Pleasantville.

I'm sorry to say but Force Awakens misses Lucas at the helm and the whole movie just feels flat. Despite all this talk of practical effects and tangible sets, the movie as a whole felt like a huge step backwards storywise; a cynical retread of the original movie to appease the less critical fan element. Though I give Disney full marks for convincing a lot of people it's good. Thing was I really wanted to like Force Awakens.

Also, the reason why UNCLE sits at no 1 of my Stink List is for the simple reason it has nothing, zippo, diddly-squat to do with the origiinal TV show that it took its name from, and I found it a fraudulent misuse of the title. Also, the movie wasn't very good.
    THX 1138 (1971)

Unique movie, but not really my cup of tea.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Avengers,age of Ultron :
    Usual superhero fun with some fantastic action and special effects
    sequences.
    Star Wars : Force Awakens reminded me a lot of Spectre. The bad guys trailing the good guys from location to location.
    Chang wrote: »
    Star Wars : Force Awakens reminded me a lot of Spectre. The bad guys trailing the good guys from location to location.

Han Solo & Chewbacca being Icons and SP lacking any of them.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 3,336
    Sicario (2015)

Very good, loved it. Great acting, cinematography and score. Man this movie makes me wish they get Deakins back for another bond film. I have one gripe with the movie however, the plot was a bit messy.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Man this movie makes me wish they get Deakins back for another bond film.
    It's funny that you mention that. I watched it in the theatre without knowing anything about it beforehand. As it was unfolding on screen (blowing me away visually and sonically), I wondered who did the cinematography - we need this guy for Bond now I thought. I came back home, looked it up and lo and behold, it was Deakins.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Deakins, please come back.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Nightkill (1980)

Despite one or 2 overly melodramatic moments, I genuinely like this film. It hasn't had the best release history. Originally intended as a theatrical release, but instead premiered on tv. Home releases haven't fared much better. It was released in the US on VHS, and only VHS. Here in the UK, we at least had a DVD release, but that was on the infamous, and now dead (not to mention hard to find) 'Vipco Vault Of Horror' line. This is quite possibly the rarest DVD in my collection, moreso than even Exposé (1976).
    I have a considerable weakness for Jaclyn Smith, and Robert Mitchum shows that even in the later years of his career, he can still believably play a thoroughly nasty piece of work. Nightkill has possibly the nastiest, most mean spirited ending to a film that i've seen.

I've talked about Nightkill in the past, but I happen to think that it's an unfairly overlooked film.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Final Programme dir Robert Fuest, Network Publishing part of The British Film imprint.
    This is an odd dystopian sci-fi film made in the mid-seventies (1973 I think), full of typical seventies mores, based on a Michael Moorcock novel. Hadn't heard of it before I bought it, a film that probably failed on initial release and has been forgotten about since. The final programme itself being a design for a self-replicating immortal being, which is on a micro-film. The main protagonist tries to get this from his druggy psychotic brother. There is a very odd cameo from Sterling Hayden, lots of weird 70s design, some boobies and a group of scientists and sex. Strange film.