Blofeld Theory

edited December 2015 in SPECTRE Posts: 352
Been thinking about Oberhauser in Spectre. Came up with an idea as to how the EON wants to continue the plot between Blofeld and Bond. Let me know what you think. *SPOILERS AHEAD*

In Spectre,
When Blofeld tortures Bond with the drill machine, he says that by drilling a particular part of the brain, it would cause him to forget faces.
Therefore,
What if Bond's next encounters with Blofeld - You Only Live Twice, OHMSS - where Blofeld introduces himself to Bond as if it's the first time he's seen him/especially in OHMSS, where they had previously met in YOLT, Bond doesn't recognize him, and Blofeld knowingly uses this to his advantage?

What do you think?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Sounds a bit nutz, but what the Hell!!!
  • Do you think it makes sense, though? It would explain why Bond doesn't know/recognize him in some of their later encounters.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Do you think it makes sense, though? It would explain why Bond doesn't know/recognize him in some of their later encounters.
    If they pursue this line of thought and story material it might work, but I don't think THEY were thinking that far ahead...

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    But aren't you forgetting about their final encounter on Westminster bridge? They seemed to recognize each other just fine.
  • @Jake24 - Yes, but perhaps the drill could lead to some sort of amnesia that occurs intermittently in the future. Could also be a way to tie in the furthered amnesia that he occurs in YOLT.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 158
    Good idea. Take a look at my Bond 25 treatment in which I suggest the torture scene leaves Bond with an implant in his brain.

mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/13322/realistic-serious-story-ideas-for-bond-25-to-be-used-by-eon-productions-ltd#latest
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I guess that would be a plot hole in the head....Why not.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    They have a conversation in the basement of MI6 which clearly debunks this theory.
  • @Tokoloshe - That would be irrelevant if the amnesia comes in bouts.
    Do you think it makes sense, though? It would explain why Bond doesn't know/recognize him in some of their later encounters.

It wouldn't for a simple reason: Bond did not forget Blofeld's face when he met him afterwards.

And it would be awfully convenient if he forgot Blofeld's face... but not M's, Moneypenny's, Q's, Tanner's, etc.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If people pick at the littlest things in the Craig era already, this hole in the logic of the series would be apocalyptic. We'd never hear the end of it.
    And if say Bond forgot the face of Blofeld, the guy is a prisoner now anyway. So they have his pictures at hand if they need it.

M:007, your next mission is to track down Blofeld, who escaped last night from Dartmoor prison.
    Bond:But I completely forgotten his face. Caused by the brain drilling he did and the Champagne I had last night with Swann.
    M:Here's the complete file on the character.
    It's like Memento with Bond, written nd adirected by Christopher Nolan. I like it. :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    And if say Bond forgot the face of Blofeld, the guy is a prisoner now anyway. So they have his pictures at hand if they need it.

M:007, your next mission is to track down Blofeld, who escaped last night from Dartmoor prison.
    Bond:But I completely forgotten his face. Caused by the brain drilling he did and the Champagne I had last night with Swann.

Problem solved right here. The conveniency of Bond forgetting Blofeld's face and nobody else's would not only make zero sense, but it could be instantly remedied by a case file, pictures, literally anything. As generic as it seems, I'm still saying that there are but a few options they can take for B25 if it comes down to involving Blofeld: escaping prison somehow, escaping en route to prison, or perhaps faking his death in prison and escaping afterward.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    We aren't seriously discussing this as a viable option are we? I know the brother thing was bollocks but this is beyond inane.

No it makes no sense.

This is a different timeline so Bond doesn't not recognise him in their later encounters as they haven't had said later encounters yet.

It's amazing how difficult a concept the reboot is for some people to grasp.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I can buy this theory. It explains why Bond didn t recognize Leiter in Dr No.
    It explains why Bond has looked in the mirror at least half-a-dozen times and he looks like a different person.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Which again explains the other fella line. Everything suddenly makes sense.
  • RC7RC7
    Bond fandom; the epicentre of solutions to non-existent problems.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    RC7 wrote: »
    Bond fandom; the epicentre of solutions to non-existent problems.

Too true! ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Maybe Bond has face blindness that keeps popping up every now and again during most inconvenient times. It would explain why he has sex with so many different women: in his head they are all the same person, but because of his condition he can't realize it's not.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

What's to stop Bond's amnesia coming in during the film while he is investigating? Amensia can be stagnant, or may come in bouts.
    I'll agree with those that say that this plot device wouldn't work for the Bond/Blofeld relationship. The whole idea of not remembering faces was introduced to provide some tension to the scene with regards to the romance between Bond and Swann. With Blofeld in captivity and Bond having shown no ill-effects of the torture sequence in SPECTRE, it wouldn't make much sense for them to bring the idea back in Bond 25 some three years after the fact.
    Again, with the amnesia plot line all we'll hear from the usual suspects that constantly berate QoS with childish abandon is this:

"Oh my GOD! First Quantum of Bourne, er, I mean Solace, copies the Bourne films by ripping off their action and shaky camera work, and NOW they are stealing the amnesia plot element from "Identity" too! Like, does Bond even have, like, any originality anymore? GOD!"
    Again, with the amnesia plot line all we'll hear from the usual suspects that constantly berate QoS with childish abandon is this:

"Oh my GOD! First Quantum of Bourne, er, I mean Solace, copies the Bourne films by ripping off their action and shaky camera work, and NOW they are stealing the amnesia plot element from "Identity" too! Like, does Bond even have, like, any originality anymore? GOD!"

Sadly, that's exactly what will happen if they decide to make Bond 25 an adaptation of You Only Live Twice.

Still, I hope that doesn't scare EON off of going that route, though.

dalton wrote: »

Sadly, that's exactly what will happen if they decide to make Bond 25 an adaptation of You Only Live Twice.

Still, I hope that doesn't scare EON off of going that route, though.

Hell yeah. I want a castle based finale with Bond and his 00s (TSWLM kind of ending) and the garden of death!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, we've talked about this before: get the right cinematographer (Deakins, perhaps), and set the finale with Bond and the villain squaring off in a big hedge/garden maze outside of the villain's castle, as the sun is setting.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, we've talked about this before: get the right cinematographer (Deakins, perhaps), and set the finale with Bond and the villain squaring off in a big hedge/garden maze outside of the villain's castle, as the sun is setting.

Yes, a maze finale would be beyond amazing!
    Birdleson wrote: »
    If they go that route I'd really hope that they'd stay the course this time and give us the balloon, the pregnant Kissy, the amnesia and the set up to what follows in the next film (ala the prologue of the novel THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN).

Pregnant Kissy would need to be switched with pregnant Madeleine methinks.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I personally wouldn't tie Bond down with a kid. Just seems too much.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's just not necessary, If anything it would create yet another loose end that would either be brought up again in a later film or just ignored entirely. I'm all for more Fleming material but a proper YOLT adaptation doesn't have to be 100% faithful.