Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I hit level 50 and got all the trophies in 'Fallout 4,' and before that, I wrapped up 'GTA III' on the PS4 100%, so now it's time to finally dive into my copy of 'Alien: Isolation' for the first time. Bring on the scares.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Having picked up a new PS3 controller, while I was in GAME, I had a look at what they had in their 3 for 2. While I haven't played it, I might take Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom back and exchange it for something else. The other two games i'm keeping and have been playing...

Thief
    Being a light fingered tea leaf if fun. I remember this game having a lukewarm reception, but I don't know why, it's quite good.

Infamous
    It's like a superhero, sandbox game, where your powers revolve around electricity, but unlike traditional superhero games that chastise the player from veering even slightly from "hero", Infamous lets the player decide how they want to use their powers. On this, first, playthrough i'm taking the hero route.
    Why didn't I know about this game sooner? I would have bought long ago if I had.
    @MajorDSmythe, I see 'Thief' available on the PS4 all the time for $10. Seems so cheap and the game always looks real entertaining when I see gameplay videos on YouTube, so I might have to pick that up soon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'd recommend giving it a try. One thing it could do with, is a fast travel option. There is quite a lot of backtracking through the areas.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Infamous
    It's like a superhero, sandbox game, where your powers revolve around electricity, but unlike traditional superhero games that chastise the player from veering even slightly from "hero", Infamous lets the player decide how they want to use their powers. On this, first, playthrough i'm taking the hero route.
    Why didn't I know about this game sooner? I would have bought long ago if I had.

Gonna play Infamous 2? Better gameplay, more powers.

Infamous

Gonna play Infamous 2? Better gameplay, more powers.

I've had a look at some gamplay videos, and I think I will buy Infamous 2. I've also had a look at the trophy list, and there are only 4 online trophies, that's not too bad I suppose. As I don't use the PSN, online trophies are about as much use to me as a paper made knife is useful underwater.
    Just played through Red Dead Redemption for the second time.Really fun game definitely gonna play it again in the future.
    Been dabbling in 'Fallout 4' some more lately, trying to unlock all the areas and get my character as insanely powerful as possible as I await the first DLC that should hit in the first few months of 2016. I also downloaded 'GTA: Vice City' on my PS4 yesterday, and I'm really, really looking forward for another nostalgia ride as I go back and enjoy myself on that. I'm a little upset to hear that just about all of my favorite songs in the game, however, were removed due to licensing issues.

I may have mentioned it already, but I finally started 'Alien: Isolation,' and wow, what a creepy, atmospheric game this is. I'm finding myself jumping from things like doors closing or sparks flying out of a panel. The Androids/Working Joes? Those scary, lifeless eyes terrify me. I had one point where I hid in a tiny cabinet and my motion tracker was going crazy. Sure enough, there was an Android standing right next to me and I had no clue about the option to hold your breath, so as soon as he tore the doors open and stared at me, I freaked out. The Xenomorph looks fantastic, as well. However, my biggest complaint with the game thus far is how unpredictable it is; sure, if he followed the same path for everyone, it'd be easy to combat and wouldn't be as exciting. Sure, I'm playing on Hard difficulty (heard there really wasn't much of a difference aside from how much damage you take and how much more damage the Androids can take), but since I figured I wanted to give this a full stealth playthrough, the difficulty would be irrelevant.

So, is it because I'm playing on Hard that the Xenomorph is so hard to predict? Or, is he always like that? I feel like almost anytime I go down a hall or into a room and hide or anything, he's in the immediate area and I can't outsmart him. Trying to conserve my gadgets because I don't want to waste them until I KNOW I'm at a part that there is no other option. Saves also come into play with this: they're way too spaced out. I saved at the beginning of this level, and I can either risk my neck to go out of my way, avoid an objective, escape the Xenomorph, and save elsewhere, or I can keep retrying the previous save over and over in hopes that I come across one closer to my objective, which is hardly ever there. I suppose that's what makes the game fun, the decision making process in how confident you are with a save, but damn, if it isn't annoying re-trying generic sequences or really hard sections, just to do them over and over again.

Still, aside from those two complaints, this game is damn good. Evokes lots of feelings I had when I first saw the original 'Alien,' and it really gets me in the mood for another 'Alien' marathon.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, I've seen some cool pictures of players making Daniel Craig in Fallout, even dressing their character in a tuxedo. I found it most amusing.
    @Creasy47, I've seen some cool pictures of players making Daniel Craig in Fallout, even dressing their character in a tuxedo. I found it most amusing.

Give it a shot, if you have a next-gen console and a couple hundred free hours. This game sucks you in and I've had days simply disappear without realizing it while playing it.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    My PS3 controller passed away, so until I can buy another one, I have gone back a generation. I fired up my XBX, and took to opportunity to restart one of my favourite game series from the beginning.... Splinter Cell. While 'SC: Pandora Tomorrow' is my favourite in the series, the use of lighting in this game, which I think is fair to say was groundbreaking at the time, still looks good today.

I just recently completed chaos theory (the best game in the series for me) for the umpteenth time. I have the HD collection so I'll go back and replay the first two but yes, the lighting technology were indeed ground breaking at the time and still hold up incredibly well today.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2015 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Give it a shot, if you have a next-gen console and a couple hundred free hours. This game sucks you in and I've had days simply disappear without realizing it while playing it.

I've seen some walkthroughs of it, but wasn't that impressed, really. I've never been a Bethesda guy, so it's really not that great a surprise. I don't know what about it doesn't connect with me, because as you know, the vast majority of the games I buy are sandboxes.
    That's a shame. Suppose it's not for everyone; personally, I'm a Bethesda fanatic. They've yet to let me down.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Xenoblade Chronicles X is a fun Sandbox game worth checking out though it is a Wii U exclusive. While it's completely different from Fallout and maybe not as customizable it's still good fun to be had and a big world to explore. It's not perfect but It is fun to play. I made my character a lovable scoundrel. :)) Though to be fair, the heart glasses just add personality to the permanent frown face he has.
    DY1lnJjl.jpg
  • Finally finished Assassin's Creed Syndicate yesterday and while I don't think it's the best the series has to offer, it's certainly a step in the right direction after Unity.

The game itself is really fun. The combat is probably the best in any AC game and my favourite from a game in general (the increased difficulty of Unity is still there but the speed of the fights is more in line with the different combat systems used from Brotherhood to Black Flag) and London is probably my favourite setting from an Assassin's Creed game. It's gorgeous, incredibly detailed, etc, but it's also familiar to me, it's really cool exploring the city I grew up in roughly 115 years before I was born. The industrial revolution also gives it an entirely different aesthetic to the cities of the previous games. There are no longer huge crowds wandering closely nit streets. Instead there are large roads for carriages, with people walking on the pavement, and meaning you have to use the new rope launcher to create ziplines to cross a lot of gaps between rooftops when doing parkour. You can't customise as much as Unity, with the outfits or the weapon choices, but I didn't mind, I like the protagonists being distinctive with appearance/fighting style. I also enjoyed the empthasis on more hidden weaponry, you don't walk around with a an armoury strapped to your back now making it much more immersive. The stealth mechanics are basically Unity but streamlined, and with a cool touch (they flick their hood up when they go into stealth mode, but when they're not it stays up which makes blending look more believeable).

Speaking of the rope launcher, I have mixed feelings about it. The ziplines are great. Shooting from roof to roof is fun and you're also (unlike the ziplines in Revelations) entirely in control: you make the ziplines yourself and decide how fast and slow you go, allowing you to set up some cool scenarios (you can come to a complete stop halfway down and air assassinate enemies on a moving carriage for example).

The downside is that climbing is basically irrelevant now. Just tap a button and you can scale a building within seconds. One of my biggest disappointments was scaling Big Ben for the first time within just a few seconds because of the grappling hook function of the rope launcher (it's basically a steampunky version of the one from the Batman games). This isn't Batman. It's Assassin's Creed. One of the things I liked in the previous games was planning routes up buildings, only being able to access certain locations if I climbed up a certain wall and found a route round by shimmying on ledges, etc. The challenge/puzzle solving aspect of that, and the sense of scale and vertigo, the sense of actually achieving something when you climb the biggest structure in the game, is gone completely. Which is a shame. No rope launched next time please (and as cool as the more fluid climbing of AC 3 onwards looks, making it less automated so I'm doing more than pressing the stick up would also be good).

Anyway the world is full of interesting side activities that all give you good rewards (weapons, upgrade plans, etc) and are also a lot of fun, which is cool. Train robberies, underground fight clubs, gang hideouts (which already featured in Rogue but are better here due to being able to enter more interiors), and the rest are all great. Fun and meaningful.

The story is bland and like Unity doesn't carry much emotional weight. It's a bit bettter than Unity due to the interesting side characters but I could never really enjoy Jacob and Evie as protagonists. Evie was likeable enough (Jacob got a bit grating) but they didn't really develop much despite an interesting set up. Better than Arno, nowhere near on par with Ezio, Edward, Shay, Adewale and Connor. Probably on the same level as Altair for me.

The plot itself is also nothing special (although it was cool having to deal with the fallout from Jacob's assassinations when playing as Evie) but there are some nice callbacks to previous games and the villain is fantastic. He's not a well developed morally grey protagonist like Haytham, he's more in line with Cesare and Rodrigo in that he's just evil. The shift back to a more two dimensional bad guy works because unlike the villain in Unity he's a really interesting character with plenty of screentime. Chillingly reserved until he suddenly snaps, he's a real psycho. His speech when he learns of Jacob's first assassination sold me on him instantly.

Also thankfully, like Unity, the modern day is reduced to short cutscenes. I wish they'd ditch it altogether but I can cope with this.

So that's Syndicate. Not perfect, not the best in the series, but a lot of fun and I'm excited to see where they go from here.

I also recently bought Just Cause 3, which I can't wait to get into. I'm off work today so I'll have to give it a go. If it's anywhere near as fun as the second one I'll be happy.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    My PS3 controller passed away, so until I can buy another one, I have gone back a generation. I fired up my XBX, and took to opportunity to restart one of my favourite game series from the beginning.... Splinter Cell. While 'SC: Pandora Tomorrow' is my favourite in the series, the use of lighting in this game, which I think is fair to say was groundbreaking at the time, still looks good today.

I just recently completed chaos theory (the best game in the series for me) for the umpteenth time. I have the HD collection so I'll go back and replay the first two but yes, the lighting technology were indeed ground breaking at the time and still hold up incredibly well today.

Though I have the original games for my XBX, I have been toying with the idea of buying the HD trilogy, for a while now. Not forgetting the PS3 port of Double Agent.
    I'll put this in spoilers for anyone who plans on playing 'Alien: Isolation' but doesn't want certain levels spoiled for them:
    This game has the perfect amount of pacing and unique levels/level design. Sure, there's backtracking throughout the station and whatnot, but the fact that there was not only a mission where I'm battling the Xenomorph as we free-fall through a locked off part of the station as it tumbles through space AND a prologue mission of sorts that involves you finding the downed Alien ship, the Engineer, the swarm of Alien nest eggs, etc. had my inner nerd freaking out. Loved it and took plenty of screenshots. I've noticed that the game does get much easier once you can finally acquire molotovs and flamethrowers. Now, I'm utilizing stealth around 10% of the time, and the rest of it, I'm freely exploring and blasting my flamethrower in the direction of the Xenomorph to scare it off. Just started mission 11, so I'm getting closer and closer to the end! I can only assume, though, with the amount of missions left in the game, I've yet to see the end of the Alien. ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    doubleoego wrote: »

Though I have the original games for my XBX, I have been toying with the idea of buying the HD trilogy, for a while now. Not forgetting the PS3 port of Double Agent.

I vaguely remember playing double agent and unfortunately I don't own it. Must look into getting my hands on a copy but I highly recommend getting the HD collection.
    Finally beat 'Alien: Isolation'! What a ride that was; challenging at times, terribly easy at others, with some great, easter-egg like missions for fans of the films and a pretty good ending. Managed to beat it on Hard without killing any humans, so now I get to do a Novice difficulty playthrough while killing at least ten humans for my Platinum Trophy! I hear Novice is mind-numbingly easy, which is exactly what I need. The Hard playthrough was tough in the first few levels that you fight the Xenomorph, then once you start to acquire weapons (mainly the flamethrower and the molotov blueprint), it's get much, much easier until Mission 17, where the Xenomorph was suddenly 1,000,000x smarter and deadlier, somehow. Irritating, but I got through it.
  • I've been having some fun with my Mother Base emblem in MGSV Phantom Pain. This one is in honor of the most badass cat who ever lived- it was two years ago today that we brought him home from the shelter.

This emblem works nicely I think!

993860_10100821133329401_7957744846233948629_n.jpg?oh=6d81e633d25fec67e48651ee08c09a6a&oe=571392E1

I know there are a few guys on this board who still play- let's see yours!
    So I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles X still and I just happen to come across this random quest. This guy asks me to buy him a car, He wants the more expensive one so I got him the cheapest one instead. It sort of looks like an Aston Martin. Well unexpectedly he put some creative modifications on it, Anyone wanna guess the reference?
    dBKLRyX.jpg
    Murdock wrote: »
    So I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles X still and I just happen to come across this random quest. This guy asks me to buy him a car, He wants the more expensive one so I got him the cheapest one instead. It sort of looks like an Aston Martin. Well unexpectedly he put some creative modifications on it, Anyone wanna guess the reference?
    dBKLRyX.jpg

That's cool, @Murdock. And judging by the aesthetics of the game, it isn't as much going "back to the future" as it is simply being/existing in the future. Does the game feature a super technological world set far in the future?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 13,882
    Skyrim

After completing a quest, I returned to Winstead Manor to offload some gear. I get there in time to see Lydia killing a Bandit. I searched the dead Bandit, and found a ransom note. Ysolda had been kidnapped, and if I wanted her back, i'd have to go to their camp and pay them 5000 credits. When I get there, I find a Giant nearby, just minding it's own business. So I have an idea. I lure the Giant near the camp, and antagonise the Bandits. They exit their camp, and run straight into the path of the Giant, which kills them all without much effort. With no Bandits left in the camp, I swagger through, into the house, down into the caves, and rescue Ysolda. On the way out, I helped myself to their valuables. A job well done.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Fallout 4. So much to do in this game compared to its predecessor.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, Xenoblade Chronicles X is pretty interesting. It's story kinda reminds me of Battlestar Galactica. In the distant future, Earth is destroyed by two alien factions with several massive Earth ships able to escape before the Earth's destrustion. 2 years later one of the remaining Earth ships is attacked by one of the two alien races from before and a small city sized part of the ship crashes on a strange unknown planet.

Aside from the crashed ship, the rest of the world in game is barren. It's a very huge map too. The Back to the future reference is a cute little easter egg side quest. Sadly you can't even drive that "Time Machine." But after a certain point you can ride in a mech called a Skell. I got one of the higher level skells and with a black paintjob it looks like the Tumbler from the Dark Knight Trilogy.

It's a very interesting game and probably the best open world freeroaming game I've ever played. The combat system is very unique and takes a little time to get used too but I enjoy it a lot. If you're familiar with the Monster Hunter series it kind of plays like that but it's a little difficult to explain. I do recommend it though. But it is a Wii U exclusive.
    @Murdock, that looks pretty cool! I'm happy to see that Nintendo has a sandbox styled game of that magnitude in their belt. The game world is absolutely gorgeous; the art design department certainly brought their A game to it.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. It's a pretty enjoyable game. I'm just 98 hours in and there is still much to do. This game has full freedom and no invisible walls and it's said the in game map is bigger than Skyrim. The story is engaging and the side quest are even better. The player customization is pretty cool, but a tad limited. There's so much to do and some areas change over time. One side quest reminded me of Alien and there is a choice you can make that can either save a researcher or have them become an alien monster. But the game does give you passing hints through dialogue. There's also an interesting cast of characters and what's cool is you can play as most of them, which I recently found out while playing. I highly recommend it. It's a very beautiful and adventurous game.
    I have recently got Fifa 16 and am greatly enjoying playing the career mode.
    I am stuck in all the games I am playing

Doom Stuck in 2-3 3-2 and 4-2
    Doom 2 Stuck in the factory
    007 Legends stuck in License to kill super stealth area

I may move on too a different achievement however since guitar playing and getting ready for the 5 k is taking most of my time shrugs.
    Been playing a lot of 'Fallout 4' and 'Rocket League' lately. Picked up a PS4 online-only combat game called 'Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.' It's a first-or-third person combat game where you don battle axes, claymores, hatchets, bows, etc. and fight in different game modes against other players in truly bloody, gory combat. I love it. It's rather tough, but getting any sort of online kill is beyond satisfying. Having your team run alongside you to the middle of the map as their team does the same evokes feelings of 'Braveheart' and makes it that much more hectic and intense.