"Dont blow it all at once ": Die Another Day Appreciation Thread

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Barry's fine score brought that movie the Oscar for best pic.
    Yes his score was excellent there. It's not a film I'm likely to watch many times, but it was quite good. Very lengthy, too.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Yes his score was excellent there. It's not a film I'm likely to watch many times, but it was quite good. Very lengthy, too.
    I liked the Jackie Chan version better (Shanghai Noon).

=))
    JCRendle wrote:

The PTS. I like the idea of Bond actually being captured, held and tortured for a period of time. It adds a sense of humanity and believably to Bond. Bond was never meant to be a superhero, he's a spy who is extremely good at his job. Even the best spies can get caught eventually - what elevates him is that, through the burnings, the beatings, the near drownings, the poisonings etc, he never breaks and releases the information. He won't give them the satisfaction.

The little touches. I liked the idea of Bond picking up the Birds of the West Indies field guide (by James Bond) and it giving him the inspiration to pose as an ornithologist. It's where Fleming got the character's name from originally.

The first time viewing of the VR firing range. I know the VR isn't that popular, but on initial viewing it gave viewers a shock. Moneypenny laying dead, MI6 breached, M held at gunpoint - I think this scene worked well.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Rosamund Pike, Rosamund Pike, Rosamund Pike..........etc. etc.
    She was brilliant and it was a perfect setup for her career. Outshone Halle in more ways than one.

Also Pierce Brosnan delivered a very good final performance as James Bond. Assured & confident, with a hint of the steely arrogance that we expect of Bond but which he had, up to that film, rarely shown, particularly in his interactions with the fairer sex.
    I agree with you both. I find it a very watchable Bond after all. I even like Toby Stevens' performance. Quite a bit in fact.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Toby played the emperor very well. James Bond vs the dark lord of the sith. Classic!
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Worst film in the series, but Moon is pretty cool. Will Yun Lee makes an excellent villain. His intro is great. Graves though, oh dear...
    DAD is better than DAF, TMWTGG, OP, AVTAK, LTK & QOS.
    Worst film in the series, but Moon is pretty cool. Will Yun Lee makes an excellent villain. His intro is great. Graves though, oh dear...

Moon into Graves, that was some amazing plastic surgery to completely changed ones nationality.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It's been said before but it has a great first half but it's second half really... Surf's the glacier? Graves the Moon? Shoots the manual? Sorry trying to reinvent Jumps the Shark. :))
    Murdock wrote: »
    It's been said before but it has a great first half but it's second half really... Surf's the glacier? Graves the Moon? Shoots the manual? Sorry trying to reinvent Jumps the Shark. :))

Shits the toilet? :)

Shits the toilet? :)
    Stops the heart! =))
    Cloaks the Aston!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Gentlemen, the proper phrase is, "do tha momma".
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Moon into Graves, that was some amazing plastic surgery to completely changed ones nationality.

There's a face to die for! I hope that totally plausible gene therapy wasn't too painful.
    mepal1 wrote: »

There's a face to die for! I hope that totally plausible gene therapy wasn't too painful.
    Fortunately real Gene Therapy isn't like that at all. It's like the "Cold Fusion" device in Star Trek into darkness, That's not what cold fusion is, it just sounded cool for that plot device. ;) What Moon got is what I call Magic Plastic Surgery. :))
    Screw the nonsense & just watch it for my man Pierce!
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Well DAD may not be the most popular Bond film with Bond fans, but the general public particularly in North America seemed to really like it, as SP will never reach the admissions figures in that continent as DAD managed to accomplish.
    I'll let you all come to your own conclusion to the reasons why!
    :-O
    Pierce.
    Pierce and David Arnold's score are the reason I watch the film. Both of those elements make it watchable.
    Pierce and David Arnold's score are the reason I watch the film. Both of those elements make it watchable.

\m/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

I agree and I think the PTS is one of the best of the series. I like Terry Hatcher but Monica Bellucci would have been spectacular in this role.

talos7 wrote: »

I agree and I think the PTS is one of the best of the series. I like Terry Hatcher but Monica Bellucci would have been spectacular in this role.
    Agreed. Whenever I watch DAD this track always gets me pumped and excited.

Are we talkin' DAD or TND here????
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    chrisisall wrote: »

Are we talkin' DAD or TND here????

Lol! , My fault I was looking at the TND topic but mistakenly posted on here. I, in my confusion, was talking about TND.

With that said the PTS od DAD is not bad either.

I liked Craig's landing a lot. Unlike in DAD it put a big ole smile on my face.
    Jinx is dumb but not as insipid or stupid as Goodnight.

I thought Miranda Frost was the real idiot in this movie, with MI6 a close second.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    We at mi6 do not believe in background checks
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Sorry, I just can't bring myself to think of DAD as a good film. I do admit that it starts off on a good track, but it goes nowhere other than downhill from there.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited December 2015 Posts: 6,758
    Although it's still dead last in my list, there are a few things to enjoy:

- the PTS
    - Pierce is good when he's not given terrible dialogue
    - the sword fight!!!!
    - Hong Kong hotel scene
    - that Cuban ally (Emilio Echevarria?) cracks me up every time
    - Aston vs. Jag
    - the cinematography
    - the Ice Palace is actually an impressive set

The dialogue, Jinx, Mr. Kil and that laser fight, the direction and the terrible last act make it the series' nadir however. A solid director, not even a brilliant one, could have made it quite acceptable.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Agree with @GoldenGun, actually.