SPECTRE:- Cinema Viewings

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    eddychaput wrote: »
    So what do I make of this new-fangled IMAX thing? Well, I was impressed... but not blown away. Yes, it's a big screen - but (in my eyes) not all that much bigger than the Showcase X-Plus screens. Maybe my expectations were too high. I expected the screen to be positively GIGANTIC, causing me to gasp in awe at it's towering enormity. The picture quality is undeniable superb. I'm glad I saw it there... but it didn't have the wow factor I was hoping for.
    film like that?

@quantumofsolace
    One does need to be wary of IMAX rooms. The instant you walk into a true IMAX room, you know it. The screen literally goes from the floor to the ceiling and it you're staring at the biggest screen you've ever seen in your life.

Then there is what is jokingly referred to as LieMAX. It's a big screen, yes, but clearly not as large as real IMAX, yet they'll charge you an IMAX ticket for it anyways. I would know: there are two multiplexes, run by the same chain no less, about a dozen blocks from one another in the city where I live that both advertise their IMAX rooms. In the one is a real IMAX screen, absolutely gargantuan. In the other, definitely LieMAX: a nice big screen, but visibly, and I mean visibly smaller than the IMAX screen at the other cinema.
    There are a couple of Lie-MAX screens in Toronto unfortunately, one of which I'm guilty of seeing Spectre in, but the theatre I saw it in the first time is arguably one of the best, if not the best IMAX screens in North America.

I've seen it a solid 5 times now. Now I eagerly await the Bluray release. Not sure I can wait that long!
    @jake24 which is the good Imax screen in T-dot?
    Do you mean Scotiabank theatre downtown.

I Saw at Empress Walk Imax which I think is Liemax, but it still beats the hell out of regular cinema viewings.

True Imax in Toronto is at Ontario Science Centre where they show nature films and other spectacular stuff
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2015 Posts: 10,586
    timmer wrote: »
    @jake24 which is the good Imax screen in T-dot?
    Do you mean Scotiabank theatre downtown.

I Saw at Empress Walk Imax which I think is Liemax, but it still beats the hell out of regular cinema viewings.

True Imax in Toronto is at Ontario Science Centre where they show nature films and other spectacular stuff
    Scotiabank is the one. I was simply mesmerized by the size of the screen. I got to see it a day early at an advanced screening.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I agree. Scotiabank is the primo commercial Imax venue in T.O.
    It's a bigger more immersive experience than say Empress Walk.
    How did you wangle advance screening?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 10,586
    I agree. Scotiabank is the primo commercial Imax venue in T.O.
    It's a bigger more immersive experience than say Empress Walk.
    How did you wangle advance screening?
    It was very out of the blue to be honest. I received an invite from IMAX themselves on Twitter. Great experience though.
    Yes Bond in Imax was real good!
    Even Empress Walk Imax (2 viewings) was way better than my 4 regular cinema viewings.
    I'am concerned that members here are not making a valiant effort to see Spectre more than 3-4 times at the most............remember that MI6 member @quantumofsolace is currently sitting at a mere 14 viewings of the film.
    I personally saw SP twice at the cinema, but am no longer able to see the film again at a theatre, as i have just started a prison sentence! :)
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    jake24 wrote: »
    So what do I make of this new-fangled IMAX thing? Well, I was impressed... but not blown away. Yes, it's a big screen - but (in my eyes) not all that much bigger than the Showcase X-Plus screens. Maybe my expectations were too high. I expected the screen to be positively GIGANTIC, causing me to gasp in awe at it's towering enormity. The picture quality is undeniable superb. I'm glad I saw it there... but it didn't have the wow factor I was hoping for.
    film like that?

@quantumofsolace
    One does need to be wary of IMAX rooms. The instant you walk into a true IMAX room, you know it. The screen literally goes from the floor to the ceiling and it you're staring at the biggest screen you've ever seen in your life.

Then there is what is jokingly referred to as LieMAX. It's a big screen, yes, but clearly not as large as real IMAX, yet they'll charge you an IMAX ticket for it anyways. I would know: there are two multiplexes, run by the same chain no less, about a dozen blocks from one another in the city where I live that both advertise their IMAX rooms. In the one is a real IMAX screen, absolutely gargantuan. In the other, definitely LieMAX: a nice big screen, but visibly, and I mean visibly smaller than the IMAX screen at the other cinema.
    There are a couple of Lie-MAX screens in Toronto unfortunately, one of which I'm guilty of seeing Spectre in, but the theatre I saw it in the first time is arguably one of the best, if not the best IMAX screens in North America.

I've seen it a solid 5 times now. Now I eagerly await the Bluray release. Not sure I can wait that long!

@jake24 Honestly, considering that SP wasn't shot on IMAX cameras, seeing in true IMAX or Lie-MAX won't make the biggest difference in the world. It's not as if on true IMAX screens the film is blown up to fill every corner. I would also argue that the digital projection on a Lie-Max screen is top notch as far picture and sound quality are concerned. I saw Mad Max: Fury Road in Lie-Max and it definitely looked and sounded spectacular.

The only guilt that can be felt is having paid IMAX ticket prices!
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I'am concerned that members here are not making a valiant effort to see Spectre more than 3-4 times at the most............remember that MI6 member @quantumofsolace is currently sitting at a mere 14 viewings of the film.
    I personally saw SP twice at the cinema, but am no longer able to see the film again at a theatre, as i have just started a prison sentence! :)

Well, I probably deserve to be locked up for going to see it so many times. Not necessarily in a prison, of course. ;)
    Agreed. some members need to pick up the pace.
    @quantumofsolace is an inspiration.
    I promise 2 more views at least. That will make 8.
    Least I can do.
    Sorry to hear about your incarceration.@mepal. The institution film library though might get the blu-ray and there are good-behaviour day trips too

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    There's time. Spectre's still the nr.2 film over here and screenings are 4 times a day..
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    edited December 2015 Posts: 364
    I'm at 4, in rather rapid succession at that. I'll make another trip just before it leaves theatres. I don't feel as though I MUST see it a billion times. I do write about film in general so at some point I have to get back to other movies! ;)

As much as I often tell myself after walking out of a film I truly enjoyed that I need to see it again on the big screen, the truth of the matter is that I generally don't. There's perhaps 1 or 2 films per year that I'll see more than once. The fact that I've seen SP 4 times already is a minor miracle in that regard, although considering that it's for Bond, maybe much less surprising!
    film like that?

@quantumofsolace

It was definitely a kosher IMAX and is, according to the guy who introduced the performance, the largest IMAX screen not only in the UK but, following the burning down of one in Spain, the whole of Europe.
    I think I was a bit underwhelmed for two reasons. Firstly, my expectations were probably unrealistically high. I expected IMAX to positively dwarf the biggest screen I'd ever seen before. (The Odeon Leicester Square, perhaps?) And secondly, as you yourself rightly pointed out, SP wasn't filmed in the IMAX format. I must say that the advert for IMAX before the film started was quite impressive, with an almost 3D feel to it. Maybe if I were to see something filmed especially for IMAX it would have that wow factor for me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The best IMAX experience I have had was TDK. The opening heist scene and the truck flip were filmed with real IMAX cameras and it was a complete joy to behold. So I think it does matter whether it is filmed with IMAX cameras or not.

The TDKR opening plane scene also similarly blew me away, but it wasn't as awe inspiring simply because it wasn't filmed on a sunny day like the TDK opening.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    NEW RECORD!

Last night, I watched SPECTRE at the cinemas for the third time! Before that, I hadn't watched any film more than twice whilst in cinemas. :D
    I've noticed that no one has added to this thread recently, so i presume everyone has seen SP now, and will just watch the film on the home formats from now on.

Mind you, we havn't heard from @quantumofsolace, for a few days, so maybe this member is still viewing the film at the cinema. :)
    Well...this post ended up unexpectedly
    That escalated quickly.
  • :)) , some of the posts here are an absolute hoot.

I'm considering watching it a second time with my father. Ticket prices are kinda expensive but I just wanna watch that race sequence in Rome again!. (Oh and spend some quality time with my father, of course!).
    You a final fantasy 7 fan?
  • @Problem_Eliminator, Not the biggest, but yeah. It's a long, entertaining game and I like the main protagonist.
    Cool thought you might be because of your name.I've been a fan of the series for about 17 years or so.
    Will be indulging viewing #7 tomorrow.
    Am very excited.
    Who was updating the most viewed list?
    Can we do a top ten?
    I would like to see my name in lights :D
    Will be indulging viewing #7 tomorrow.
    Am very excited.
    Who was updating the most viewed list?
    Can we do a top ten?
    I would like to see my name in lights :D

It was i, who was updating the list.

@timmer, if you see SP tomorrow for the 7th time then your name will be added to the leaderboard, as you will be in equal Silver medal position.

Current leaderboard:-

No.1:- 'quantumofsolace' - 14 viewings
    No.2= :- 'Monsieur_Aubergine' - 7 viewings
    No.2= :- 'Trigger' - 7 viewings

:)
    Twice here in Japan.
    First time in the special 3 day weekend before general release. Theater was close to empty.
    Second time on Sunday, cinema was less empty but still a large percentage of empty seats.
    Interesting but looking at the seating plans, the whole cinema was practically empty.
    This is a fairly small regional city with only once cinema.
    No idea how representative that is of other places.
    @mepal1....that's great.
    Barring natural disaster or other calamity, I will be there.
    Silver medal territory :D That's special.
    I look forward to gleaning fresh new insights to share with the board, and admiring Lea strolling down the train aisle again.
    One of the best Bond Girl walks in the series I think.
    I've noticed that no one has added to this thread recently, so i presume everyone has seen SP now, and will just watch the film on the home formats from now on.

Mind you, we havn't heard from @quantumofsolace, for a few days, so maybe this member is still viewing the film at the cinema. :)

Still languishing at a mere 14, I'm afraid. (Hangs head in shame.) Nothing to do with waning enthusiasm - just got a lot on at the moment. Hopefully I'll be able to sneak in a quick viewing early next week before that new sci-fi thing gets released. What's it called? Space Wars?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Yeah, me too, and where I thought I'd stand a chance you just marched by. Oh well. @mepal1 the film is still in cinema's over here, three showings a day, so I guess there's still some chance for many to higher their score....
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Now seen it 5 times (2 imax). Probably done now until the blu ray.
    Viewing number 7 is in the books. Silver medal please. :D

Scrounged up a new small-part Bond Girl, but not really, as Mendes has purged any trace of the species from the film.
    As has been widely reported by dedicated Bond fan journos ,there are only 3 Bond Girls of any sort with faces in this film.
    So these listings are just make due, SP level, small-part Bond Girls.

So along with the woman in blue dress with beehive haircut in the train dining car, and the two Q lab assistants (shot from behind only) I think we might have a 4th identifiable small-part Bond girl, but again with no face.
    As Bond flies into the Klinik, there is a nice head of blond hair sitting behind him on the plane.
    Later in the Klinik bar we see blonde hair sitting at one of the tables. Could be the same girl.

Also, I am now starting to notice that Blofeld has no socks on during the meteorite room discussion too.
    This isn't actually terribly apparent, but because I have been blinded several times already by the brazen glare of the torture scene no-socks display, I am now only too aware of the bare ankles in the meteor room too. Shudder.

If movie sticks around I am aiming for an 8th viewing next week. Will have to concede the gold to @quantumofSolace though. Exemplary job!

Might be able to pull another girl out of the compound control room. I think there are two or three mixed in with all the guys, but these girls are so buried that I don't think there is much to work with.

That compound though is basically a Spectre sausage factory. Do hope they let the guys out on weekends, for night trips to Tangiers, before compound got all blowed up of course.
    I'm surprised all those henchies and Nine Eyes rats weren't chasing Swann around like rabid dogs. Who knows the last time they saw a woman?
    Spectre is a very disciplined show I guess or a Eunuch fest.

===
    Projects for the blu-ray release.
    Inventory the items in MP's fridge
    Cross reference the dead agent names on the Mi6 wall with production crew names. See how many matches. There are at least a couple, probably a lot more.
    Study the devices and such, laying about in Q's lab to see if there is anything recognizable from past films.