Take Bond Away from Activision

edited December 2011 in 007 Gaming Posts: 581
i swear i am sick of Activision destroying FPS by having their crappy Call of Duty games and well given that they defeciated on the good name of James Bond and Goldeneye.. i say the bond licence for video games goes to rocksteady, valve or even EA as they know what makes a good game...
Slightly edited for content by @NicNac

Comments

• Here here!! I got rid of GoldenEye already!
    i also think they should get dalton to voice a video game...imagine the original outline for Bond 17 with Anthony Hopkins as the villian and Cathrine Zeta Jones as the bond girl (well it was rumoured back in the 90s)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2011 Posts: 28,694
    002 wrote:
    i also think they should get dalton to voice a video game...imagine the original outline for Bond 17 with Anthony Hopkins as the villian and Cathrine Zeta Jones as the bond girl (well it was rumoured back in the 90s)

So, Bond 17 turned into The Mask of Zorro then(minus Tim)?
    Yes. Yes, it did. Martin Campbell even transferred over. ;)
  • One day, if I can set aside the legal BS, I'd love a Diamonds are Forever game with George's likeness-- similar to how they remade GoldenEye with Daniel, only this would really serve a long overdue purpose. It would make an ideal revenge driven action game and would finally correct the missed opportunity the 1971 movie was!!

That, and like 002 said, a Dalton game based on Bond 17 would be great too!
  • edited November 2011 Posts: 612
    I don't understand why Activision has the license. Video games have exploded commercially over the past decade. EON and Sony should do as they do with the novels - find a new writer (in this case developer) for every time a new game is to release. My vote goes to NaughtyDog for an original script. Bond games need to be story driven - something Activision has been lacking.

Also, why aren't Bond games PlayStation exclusive? I could see Sony using the license to make more console sales. It worked on the Nintendo 64, why can't it work on PlayStation 4? We need a First-Party Bond game.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited November 2011 Posts: 4,399
    well, let's also remember, it really wasn't Activision who made the game, it was Eurocom - Activision merely produced it...

i enjoyed Goldeneye Reloaded - the campaign I thought was good... the lousy multiplayer bugs are what have kept me from playing it more than I should... but I found it a much more enjoyable experience than Quantum Of Solace...

my thing is though - if Activision had the rights to use material from any pre exsisting Bond film / novel (that means even the Gardner/Benson novels and etc.) why not try to go for something original again?... as much as I did enjoy Reloaded - you can't catch lightning in a bottle twice - and they really screwed themselves by making it Wii exclusive first, instead of holding off and releasing the game across all the platforms at the same time... the time of release for both the Wii and 360/PS3 were incredibly lousy... i know they wanted it out there in time for holiday shopping - but in a fall, where you got MW3, BF3, Skyrim, SR3, all coming out within weeks of eachother and with hardly any advertising.. no wonder this game got lost in the shuffle... but i digress...

i say enough with film licensed games (unless they are going to pull a FRWL)... and focus more on doing original stories, or using the stories from the post Fleming novels - because if they aren't going to make them into films, then why not make them into video games?.... I'm sure there has to be more than a few good stories in the Bond cannon (post Fleming) that would work.... "Carte Blanche" is one i immediately think of
    I don't understand why Activision has the license. Video games have exploded commercially over the past decade. EON and Sony should do as they do with the novels - find a new writer (in this case developer) for every time a new game is to release. My vote goes to NaughtyDog for an original script. Bond games need to be story driven - something Activision has been lacking.

Also, why aren't Bond games PlayStation exclusive? I could see Sony using the license to make more console sales. It worked on the Nintendo 64, why can't it work on PlayStation 4? We need a First-Party Bond game.
    Dude I would never want bond to be a (insert system) excluisive that is a huge disservice to fans....

Also EA had a lot of mis steps or are we conviently ignoring Goldeneye Rogue Agent the ridculously over the top Everything or nothing and the much more ridiculous From Russia With love...

I still have nightmares of the faux grant saying "I have so many ways to kill you mr bond let me show you my favorite"

In fact out of EA's games Nightfire was the best in fact weirdly enough my top 4 bond games are all from different platformers

1. Bloodstone from activision
    2. Nightfire from EA
    3. Goldeneye from Rare
    4. The World is not enough n64 Eurocom

If Activision had balls they would do Colonel sun update the novel and cast Daniel Craig and make it almost like a lost film.

they won't mind you but man...
    Like haserot said, Activision is on the business side of things, not making the actual game. Now what they do wrong is releasing the games in the fall (already talked about) and it wouldn't hurt them to raise the budget on these games. Back when EA made them, the games had this sense of polish and care put into them. I assume it was because the developers had some nice budgets to work with. The Activision games have all seemed rather low budget compared to the other big games out there.

Activison had Treyarch work on QoS and Call of Duty World at War at the same time. Not to mention I think they were doing Spiderman Web of Shadows. QoS got the short stick. Not Treyarch's fault. They had to much on their plate.

Bizzare was the wrong choice for a Bond developer. Their racing games were great but The Club was terrible.

Eurocom understands Bond. I'm shocked they haven't made more AAA games. If Activision raises their budget, we've got a great Bond game on our hands. I enjoyed Reloaded quite a bit but it wasn't perfect

And lets hope that Raven is still working on their Bond game because I love some of their games.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    002 wrote:

A welsh agenda, I would not be against that. ;) Two of my favourite actors and one of my favourite actresses, that sounds right.
    the diffrence between the EA bond games and the Activison Bond games is that the EA games particulary EON and FRWL had their own engines they didnt cut and paste the same COD Engine- iron sights, Quick Time Movements, Recharging health, Sprint, etc that are the cancer of FPS these days...

lets face it Activison are 2 face= they made Goldeneye Wii Exclusive and then the next year they betrayed Nintendo by making Reloaded- if that is the case why didnt Nintendo sue them...and if Nintendo were ok with it than why cant they settle the deal with porting the original Goldeneye 64 to Virtural and XBLA?
    002 wrote:
    the diffrence between the EA bond games and the Activison Bond games is that the EA games particulary EON and FRWL had their own engines they didnt cut and paste the same COD Engine- iron sights, Quick Time Movements, Recharging health, Sprint, etc that are the cancer of FPS these days...

L O V E D FRWL. Just wish it was longer. I would definitely love to see THUNDERBALL as a Connery-voiced game next, EA if your watching ;)
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    As sick as I am of CoD ripoffs, I have to admit that the formula worked. This is obvious because several FPS have copied CoD. Battlefield, Medal of Honor, obviously the past couple Bond games, I think Deus Ex Human Revolution copied its play style if nothing else (such as ADS, from what I saw in the trailers). I would rather see some different Bond games instead of just CoD Bond (Blood Stone worked perfectly, in my opinion), but that's probably not what we're gonna get.
    As sick as I am of CoD ripoffs, I have to admit that the formula worked. This is obvious because several FPS have copied CoD. Battlefield, Medal of Honor, obviously the past couple Bond games, I think Deus Ex Human Revolution copied its play style if nothing else (such as ADS, from what I saw in the trailers). I would rather see some different Bond games instead of just CoD Bond (Blood Stone worked perfectly, in my opinion), but that's probably not what we're gonna get.

They attempted to copy CoD's success, by mimicking aspects of the game. They weren't copying it for its formula, jus interested in what made it work. Honestly, it comes down to power of the weapons and map size that makes CoD "successful" financially. It a f**kfest for lack of a better word, and gets your adrenaline pumping. That's why its so popular.

Medal of Honor copied the shooting style and map size, and Battlefield 3 copied the spawns (unfortunately) and overpowered weapons/kits.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Y'see, that's my point. I picked the wrong words before, but what I meant was that CoD had something that other FPS chose to copy, be it the weapons, the map size, or simply ADS which almost every FPS has nowadays. And, because it obviously worked, every FPS from now on will probably copy them and copy them and copy them until a new system comes out, and every FPS copies that. It's a cycle: one FPS comes out with some innovations and others copy it after that until a new set of innovations comes out, and those are copied and so forth and so on.
    If you had a choice, who would you want to develop the next game? If Activision didn't have the license.

My money would go to NaughtyDog.
    If you had a choice, who would you want to develop the next game? If Activision didn't have the license.

My money would go to NaughtyDog.

Mine would go to DICE (Battlefield titles; Medal of Honor 2010) or Danger Close (Medal of Honor 2012) under EA. They wont be under the pressure of EA like DICE was with BF3, because there is not much competition to a Bond game. I'm only worried they'll make it just that however, seeing as everything gets compared and copied to a form of CoD nowadays.

But those two have beautiful engines, and I've always felt the Bond games lacked in graphics.

• X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Quantum of Solace in Ps2 is cool, but the graphics sux a lot. the textures are "dry" (you can see in Everything Or Nothing that it has some texture reflects and a bit shines/brights on them).

Just as said @JamesBond in another topic, Activision is not making Bond games, but CoD games.

I don't like to know that Activision is making Bond games, EA always made great games, with quality in all aspects. QoS and Blood Stone don't sux, i can tell u that, but it's strange to play a 007 game when you had costumed to play them by EA.

And my choice would go for EA too. I'm not saying Activision Sux, but they don't have an structure to make Bond games.

What they really need is to make the greatest games back! Like 'Vigilante 8'! THAT would be great.
  • Rockstar, naughty dog, ubisoft or EA again, these are my choices for who gets the licence after activision. And I think they should do a game where you can make your own bond, and choose from a selection of voices, then make choices for what he says/does in different missions.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Well, That would be like a Saints Row. But without the GTA part.
    How about Volition? They did great with the Red Faction series, and with 2005's The Punisher.
    They are not so well known to make a Bond game.
  • SharkShark Banned
    Rockstar. 'Nuff said.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    How many actually think come 2014 the video game licence will be passed onto someone else?

If Activision blow it with a Skyfall and/or Bond 24 tie-in I'd say it's almost a certainty someone else will get to have a go.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    How many actually think come 2014 the video game licence will be passed onto someone else?

If Activision blow it with a Skyfall and/or Bond 24 tie-in I'd say it's almost a certainty someone else will get to have a go.

The rumor to why EA lost the license is because Goldeneye Rogue Agent and FRWL were met with mixed reviews and that they couldn't get a CR game out in time. If Activision keeps going with the way they're going (the mixed reviews and poor sales), EON won't renew the license. But apparently there are two games being released this year so we'll have to wait and see. I think this is their last chance to prove they can handle the Bond franchise

Samuel001 wrote:

Is that when it expires? Fingers crossed.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2011 Posts: 13,350
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

The rumor to why EA lost the license is because Goldeneye Rogue Agent and FRWL were met with mixed reviews and that they couldn't get a CR game out in time. If Activision keeps going with the way they're going (the mixed reviews and poor sales), EON won't renew the license. But apparently there are two games being released this year so we'll have to wait and see. I think this is their last chance to prove they can handle the Bond franchise

Two games indeed. That could be trouble. One is a rumoured Skyfall tie-in, so that should have some potential. I agree, it's now or never. A shame that their best, GoldenEye was released when it was.
    Samuel001 wrote:

Is that when it expires? Fingers crossed.

Yes, so that means three more years of Bond games at the most.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/gaming_activision.php3
    I am curious to see how the 2 games fair.
    Risico007 wrote:

I'm interested to see when they release the 2nd game. The Skyfall game will no doubt be released with the film (so it's holiday time again meaning poor sales). If they were smart they would release the other game at another time during the year
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:

I'm interested to see when they release the 2nd game. The Skyfall game will no doubt be released with the film (so it's holiday time again meaning poor sales). If they were smart they would release the other game at another time during the year

Does that mean they'd mess up the story line, like in QoS (Game)? Call me crazy, but I want a game that follows the film very, very closely.