SPECTRE--last Craig-era film?

1192021222325»

Comments

Agreed! And Babs Broccoli is a very formidable woman, and I believe her when she says they are not going to let him go!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 7,969
    I "believe" ;) she will ;) "convince" ;) him in her own ;) "special" way. ;) " ;)"
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I "believe" ;) she will ;) "convince" ;) him in her own ;) "special" way. ;) " ;)"
    Indeed.
    babsdan.jpg
    Apart from her daughter, the franchise is the love of her life. If her step-brother, or the next studio insist it is in the best long term interest to "kick him to the curb" as Brosnan notes she did to him while weeping on the phone, as Wilson did the firing, history will repeat. Maybe it will be done softer and nicer with some other benefits in gratitude, but she is a tough cookie, and would sacrifice Craig in a heart beat, if business required, I have no doubt in the world.
    I dont think any firing would be necessary in this case. DC would go on his iwn.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Has anyone heard what they did to Brosnan. So unprofessional.

I have to say it did seem a bit odd to me that it was done over a phone call.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I dont think any firing would be necessary in this case. DC would go on his iwn.
    I believe that some of the stuff we've been hearing in the press and DC's nonchalant attitude (as well creating an SP ending that can go either way) suggest that he knows this too.

He is not stupid and wanted to close things off in case it went south on him due to the negotiations (which are outside his control).

I think that's why SP sort of takes us back to the Bond we know and love attitude wise and doesn't properly explore the Blofeld brother angle that Mendes obviously wanted to expand on......because DC himself most likely insisted to Mendes that he give the fans his own 'Bond we knew and loved' film in case he was put in a position where he would walk......and I'm sure that they will give him the option to walk, unlike with Brosnan.
    tigers99 wrote: »

It may have been done on the phone because they feared a face to face emotional outburst. Many knew he wanted the role.....so did they. In these cases, you try to avoid face to face drama.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I believe that some of the stuff we've been hearing in the press and DC's nonchalant attitude (as well creating an SP ending that can go either way) suggest that he knows this too.

He is not stupid and wanted to close things off in case it went south on him due to the negotiations (which are outside his control).

I think that's why SP sort of takes us back to the Bond we know and love attitude wise and doesn't properly explore the Blofeld brother angle that Mendes obviously wanted to expand on......because DC himself most likely insisted to Mendes that he give the fans his own 'Bond we knew and loved' film in case he was put in a position where he would walk......and I'm sure that they will give him the option to walk, unlike with Brosnan.

It may have been done on the phone because they feared a face to face emotional outburst. Many knew he wanted the role.....so did they. In these cases, you try to avoid face to face drama.

Surely face to face is more professional. An emotional outburst wouldn't be a very professional or graceful way of responding to that kind of news. I don't know PB, but he does come across as professional.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883

Surely face to face is more professional. An emotional outburst wouldn't be a very professional or graceful way of responding to that kind of news. I don't know PB, but he does come across as professional.
    I don't want to start the Brosnan discussion here because many see it as 'bashing', but his behaviour when he was let go was not professional (to me anyway).

I don't know what kind of relationship he had with Broccoli/Wilson, but there has to be a reason they did it the way they did it. In my experience, one does that because one believes there will be an outburst. I've seen it when emotional people are let go in companies....one uses a 3rd party, or creates some distance when doing it. The working relationship is 'over' for all intents and purposes, so you really don't want to have to deal with emotions.

I don't want to start the Brosnan discussion here because many see it as 'bashing', but his behaviour when he was let go was not professional (to me anyway).

I don't know what kind of relationship he had with Broccoli/Wilson, but there has to be a reason they did it the way they did it. In my experience, one does that because one believes there will be an outburst. I've seen it when emotional people are let go in companies....one uses a 3rd party, or creates some distance when doing it. The working relationship is 'over' for all intents and purposes, so you really don't want to have to deal with emotions.

Yes, you have a good point there.
  • I don't think it's "bashing" to note that Craig has a very different relationship with Broccoli & Wilson than Brosnan ever had. They've given DC more control over the franchise (to the point of choosing directors and rewriting scripts) than they would have even considered with Brosnan. And the tactic succeeded: just in terms of $$$ generated by the last 2 films, Craig's Bond is more successful than Brosnan's ever dreamed of being. Eon's not going to kick him to the curb at this point; if he goes it's his decision and no one else's. I think Daniel will be back for one more at least.
    I don't think it's "bashing" to note that Craig has a very different relationship with Broccoli & Wilson than Brosnan ever had. They've given DC more control over the franchise (to the point of choosing directors and rewriting scripts) than they would have even considered with Brosnan. And the tactic succeeded: just in terms of $$$ generated by the last 2 films, Craig's Bond is more successful than Brosnan's ever dreamed of being. Eon's not going to kick him to the curb at this point; if he goes it's his decision and no one else's. I think Daniel will be back for one more at least.

I quite agree.