Bond films that you love, but most others dislike?

Comments

i rewatched QOS again this past summer I'm sorry I just can't get into it. I don't understand how many of you like it. To me it's the worst Bond. But this is the point of this thread
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Diamonds are forever

very enjoyable. I have no idea why people think this is the follow up to OHMSS. It clearly isn't. It's not even the same man in the suit! Hating this film for that reason is a bit like hating The Godfather for being an unsatisfactory follow up to The Empire Strikes Back.
    Licence to Kill, Quantum of Solace, and A View to a Kill are the ones that fit this category for me. I rate both LTK and QOS rather high and AVTAK always tops out several of the other Bond films that I'm "supposed' to like whenever it's time to put a ranking of the films together.
    Diamonds are forever

very enjoyable. I have no idea why people think this is the follow up to OHMSS. It clearly isn't. It's not even the same man in the suit! Hating this film for that reason is a bit like hating The Godfather for being an unsatisfactory follow up to The Empire Strikes Back.

I love Dimonds are Forever. It's such a fun Film
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    dalton wrote: »
    Licence to Kill, Quantum of Solace, and A View to a Kill are the ones that fit this category for me. I rate both LTK and QOS rather high and AVTAK always tops out several of the other Bond films that I'm "supposed' to like whenever it's time to put a ranking of the films together.

I agree that AVTAK is CRIMINALLY underated, as is OP and TLD. However I disagree about LTK. I have given that film countless chances to leave an impression on me to no avail. Just comes across as chasing the Die Hard's and Lethal Weapon's. The James Bond tropes just don't work with that type of film, hence why the tone changes completely whenever Q is on scene. The one shining star is Dalton. He is amazing.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    OP rules this category for me. Then again, it was the first one I saw in the theater.

If I set aside OHMSS and the utter disregard for Tracy's death, I'd say the first third of DAF (London and Amsterdam) is underrated. Once they get to Vegas, the movie, and Tiffany, really start falling apart.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    DAF and MR.

MR is actually #6 on my rankings and my favourite of the Moore films.
    Quantum Of Solace - I like it better than Skyfall - a lot more.

Moonraker - Roger Moore bias. Favorite 007.

YOLT - I think it's the best Connery Bond while most pick other Connery films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Agree on DAF. I can't stand the leading lady (disappointing) & it's just so incredibly cheesy, but Connery makes this film. Such a blast from start to finish. Just pure entertainment........and just good fun.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    DAD and NSNA. DAD - because despite the obvious, it is still a thoroughly enjoyable film, and NSNA, mostly because of its 80s nostalgia and the fact they acknowledged Connery's age within the film. Mind you, they are both still near the bottom of my list, but I do love them - which says a lot about how I regard the other films. Not sure which of these two is generally the least liked on the forum- but I would say NSNA. DAD is at the bottom for most, but NSNA rarely even makes the cut, with many going as far as to dismiss it as a Bond film altogether.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    DAF, AVTAK, TWINE, TND, DAD
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    One more thing I love about QoS: Bond and Camille's "relationship". Their will for revenge was an interesting thing to watch and gave us some good moments. He could relate and became kind of protective over her. If he couldn't get what he wanted (stop the organization that took Vesper away from him), he would help her stop the man who destroyed her family. Another side of Bond we've never seen before. His humanization is my favorite thing about the reboot, they are doing it so well.

And I hope they are creating a good plot envolving Quantum for Bond 24, for Christ's sake.

I loved the relationship between Bond and Camille in QoS. They're so driven by revenge that there really isn't sexual tension or lust between the two, and the kiss they give one another at the end is an appreciation/thankful/'perhaps we could be lovers in another setting' type of embrace. I love it.
    I so agree with this. It's a so atypical Bond.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 2,400
    Die Another Day is only my second-worst rated of the EON films... which by the standards of a normal, sane person (of which I am clearly neither) must be the same as outright love :'D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Every time I'm in the first half I think to myself that I'm having such a great time there's no way the ending can bring it down as much as I remember it doing. Then I get there, and I remember.

Time to face gravity!
    The James Bond tropes just don't work with that type of film, hence why the tone changes completely whenever Q is on scene. The one shining star is Dalton. He is amazing.

This, I would agree with, which is why I wish that they hadn't chosen arguably the most serious and violent film in the franchise to give Q his largest role to date.

I'm not one of those that will stand there and say that their favorite Bond film is flawless, because LTK (nor any film, really) certainly isn't flawless. There are several things that could be changed about it to make it a better film. Chief among those would be, as you alluded to, the shifts in tone.

I would have eliminated Q completely from the script. Having Q there completely kills the whole "rogue" element of the film, since he's still technically getting support from MI6, albeit without permission from M. I think stripping away the more humorous elements that Q brings to the table, thus leaving Bond and Pam on their own to go after Sanchez, would have gone a long way towards strengthening the film. Further, to help fill the void that Q's absence would have had on the overall "Bondness" of things, I think they could have helped things a bit more in that regard with a better look to the film. More lavish and glamorous sets would have gone a long way towards making LTK look more like a more traditional Bond film. Bond could have still been operating in an ultra-glamorous setting while going after Sanchez and still kept things appropriately gritty. There's an effort at solving this issue with the location they chose for Sanchez's mansion, but a lot of the rest of the film could have stood for some improvement in that area.

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Octopussy. My current No.2. I find it is slightly more liked in the forums but it still doesn't crack the top 10 much.

The other would be DAF thanks to Barry's funny and quirky score
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    LTK, easy. While I don't outright love them, I also really like QoS and TND. In addition to OP, these four are the most underrated films in the series.
    Spectre?
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited November 2015 Posts: 306
    Octopussy (it is so much fun)
    A View to a Kill
    The Man With the Golden Gun
    Live and Let Die
    Moonraker
    Tomorrow Never Dies

:D
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 157
    No, most on here think quite highly of SPECTRE. Those of us who thought it weak entry are in the minority.

I was thinking of my core friends. None of them liked Spectre that much. Neither did the people at the local movie theater. Their loss. :D

• JNOJNO Finland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 135
    DAF falls easily into this category. I love it. OP and TWINE are also "soft spots"for me. I don´t rate those movies very high, but I love them as individuals.

And QoS also!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    TND My favorite Bond movie.

DAD Corny. Cringe worthy. Fun.

MR I don't get the hate. Yeah, it's quite similar to TSWLM, but TSWLM was considered a good movie, so this should be too then. Sure, if you're not a fan of the Moore era and can't handle the camp, fine. But to like other Moore films and not this seems kind of strange.

TWINE I might rank this as high as second best in the series (if I could ever sort out a solid ranking in my mind). It has flaws, but so does every other film in the series, and every other film ever made for that matter.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2015 Posts: 6,758
    - The Man with the Golden Gun: currently #10 in my ranking, absolutely love it. I think the movie features Moore's best performance as Bond, Scaramanga is my favourite villain, the Swedish duo Ekland-Adams are gorgeous and likeable and the atmosphere is wonderful. Oh, I also love the golden gun.

- A View to a Kill: a recent rewatch made me realise I've always liked the undeniable 80's atmosphere of View, with its Duran Duran song, the blimp, the Golden Gate finale, the Moore-Macnee interplay, I adored Pola Ivanova too. Moore also has some of his best 'serious' moments in this one (with the psychopath comment). The film clearly has issues, but I always enjoy it.

- Licence to Kill: I don't know if this one is still as disliked as it used to be but I'd say it's one of the very best. Currently #2 in my list. It's spectacular, it's engaging, it's moving, it's atmospherical, it's bold, it's my favourite Bond film that doesn't follow the traditional assignment path. And Dalton is sooooo good in it.

- Tomorrow Never Dies: the changing media landscape and the immense power of mass media has always been an interesting starting point even though Carver's scheme is completely ridiculous. The movie has lots of great stunts, it has a great score, Wai Lin is an amazingly competent Bond girl, Pryce's over-the-top villain is immensely enjoyable and Pierce is in top form here.
  • AVTAK is a big guilty pleasure of mine. My dad and brother both think it's lame, and I'm constantly defending it, because despite its silliness, that movie is doggone entertaining. Give me silly over boring any day. That said, I think the film has its moments. I think MayDay is a badass henchman, and her sacrifice at the end is one of the most touching moments in the Bond films.

I guess QOS is one since everyone seems to dislike it. I think the villain plot is the best combination of realistic and interesting, and the acting is some of the best in Craig's films.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    Remove Q, the bar scene, most of Bouvier's screen time and cut the truck scene in half, and LTK would be a Top Ten installment for me (currently it's battling FYEO for the 12 spot).

To be honest I don't think David Heddison is all that great in LTK either. I also don't like Della very much ("going fishing on my honeymoon" - ugh)
    One of the reasons AVTAK is high in my Bond ranking because of Christopher Walken just outstanding performance as Max Zorin. Walken was just the perfect choice for a Bond villain.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I love TMWTGG, MR, AVTAK and TWINE, so shoot me! :D
    I really enjoyed TMWTGG the other month as part of my pre-SPECTRE Bond marathon. Sadly that still wasn't enough to get in my personal top ten but it's growing on me.

I'm probably really going against the grain but I actually like Moore's portrayal as Bond here. I think Moore was absolutely correct to go in the other direction when playing Bond rather than risk comparisons to Connery but even still it was nice to see him portray a crueller more unlikeable Bond.

DAF has always been a favourite of mine. The script, well at least the dialogue, is joyous. It's no wonder Connery wanted to come back and have such fun with this. Terrific soundtrack too.

I've gone from disappointment in LTK from ranking it as my favourite. From the Isthmus city scenes onwards it just hits it stride and succeeds at being the Bond film it wants to be.

QOS is a great Craig appetiser. First time I left the cinema I suspected that although CR was the better film, QOS might be more of a 'go-to' Bond film to watch with a spare couple of hours. As a widower myself it was interesting to have a Bond film with both the Bond and Bond girl were quite humourless and going through the motions driven for revenge but still not finding any comfort or elation in achieving their goal "'now what" indeed.

It's a shame all the whinging about the editing detracts people from the cinematography. There's a wonderful crisp glean to this film.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Remove Q, the bar scene, most of Bouvier's screen time and cut the truck scene in half, and LTK would be a Top Ten installment for me (currently it's battling FYEO for the 12 spot).

To be honest I don't think David Heddison is all that great in LTK either. I also don't like Della very much ("going fishing on my honeymoon" - ugh)

Talisa Soto is pretty bad too. I think LTK is one of the worst-cast Bond films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Cowley wrote: »
    It's a shame all the whinging about the editing detracts people from the cinematography. There's a wonderful crisp glean to this film.
    I agree. It's a stunning film to watch on blu ray. Incredibly crisp & defined colours (unlike the latest installment).