Pierce Brosnan Not a Fan of Spectre

in SPECTRE Posts: 1,092
I used to defend him at times but this makes me lose some respect for him. Sure, he's entitled to his opinion, but maybe he shuts the hell up about Daniel Craig's Bond from now on, yeah? He should take a page from Sir Roger Moore's book about not saying anything unless you have something nice to say, especially towards a franchise that made you a huge star.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/james-bond/250638/former-bond-pierce-brosnan-cool-toward-spectre

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    To be fair, he praised Skyfall quite publicly.

And he hasn't said anything here that a lot of others haven't said. He's as much a fan as anybody else, he always was. He's entitled to his opinion.
    Roger's been critical of Quantum of Solace before so I don't really see much difference. Neither have criticised Daniel himself.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    He probably more entitled to an opinion than anyone else; he was in the series, after all. I like dissenting opinions. Adds some nice variety to the mix. He doesn't work for Eon anymore and can say anything he wants to, which is refreshing in this day and age of put ons and fakery.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Roger's been critical of Quantum of Solace before so I don't really see much difference. Neither have criticised Daniel himself.

Roger was also critical of Die Another Day. But he always praised Brosnan.

Similarly, both Broz and Rog have always said good things about Craig.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Another Brosnan bashing thread. Unbelievable.
    He just offered his opinion, for Christ's sake.

8-| 8-| 8-|
  • I have very little to say about this other than glass houses, pot & kettle, etc.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This thread is a lie, He didn't say he's not a fan, he's on the fence of it. Nothing more nothing less. besides this can go in the Pierce Brosnan News and Appreciation thread. What next? Someone opens a thread about Roger Moore signs fans autograph!

:)) This forum takes Brosnan bashing to another level. :((
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Brosnan said in the interview that he is certain Craig will come back as ready as ever for a 5th film.
    “He’s a mighty warrior, and I think he found a great sense of himself in this one with the one-liners and a nice playfulness there. Just get a tighter story, and he’ll have another classic.”

To me, this all sounds very fair. Many of us here would agree that the Spectre screenplay could have been tighter and that Craig was faultless in the movie.
    All in all I think it's admirable for Pierce to be honest about his opinion and still praise Craig and the franchise.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    TR007 wrote: »
    “He’s a mighty warrior, and I think he found a great sense of himself in this one with the one-liners and a nice playfulness there. Just get a tighter story, and he’ll have another classic.”

To me, this all sounds very fair. Many of us here would agree that the Spectre screenplay could have been tighter and that Craig was faultless in the movie.
    All in all I think it's admirable for Pierce to be honest about his opinion and still praise Craig and the franchise.
    Agreed. I'd say his review was mainly positive.
    Another dick witted fan who cannot stand a dissenting opinion especially because it is Pierce Brosnan.

We can easily do without another No-news thread, by a basher. Especially since it is not true to begin with.
  • He really doesn't say anything out of order here, it reflects most of our opinions quite well.
    Also, before the haters want to congreate here and use this as another excuse to bash Brosnan, keep in mind he does defend Daniel in regards to his 'wrist slitting' comments.

“I think the guy was just fairly banjaxed by playing it. By the time you finish making a Bond movie, you don't want to hear the name, see the name or have anything to do with it because you just want to go to ground.”
    “Give him another year off here, and he'll be ready to rock and roll for sure.”

Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/news/heres-what-former-007-pierce-brosnan-thought-of-spectre#qxBWRB9QxceMGTCD.99
  • RC7RC7
    Nice to see some level headedness in here. Brosnan was in no way harsh, just offering an opinion.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    He's entitled to his opinion. Obviously it will carry a certain weight given that he did play the part, but he doesn't sound that harsh, and he seems to love Craig in the role.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    This is no bashing, if anything this is constructive criticism. the next movie should definitly be tighter and more simplyfied. I hope they reduce all the self referencing and "rebooting" BS in Bond 25 and just focus on the story between the main characters.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The script is the #1 problem with SP and most of us noticed it. Brosnan is only stating the obvious.........whoever came up with this shiite script & concepts needs to be kept away from James Bond in the future. Whoever employed such scriptwriters may also need to be kept away.
  • Right he didn't say anything mean. In fact I sort of agree with him, about it being too long.
    Me personally, I loved it- but in a couple hours I'm going with my dad and brother in law for their first viewing. They aren't hardcore fans like me and I'm finding myself anxious that they will be bored by the time it's over.
    That's a clear sign that it may be too long, for the average fan.

Ah who am I kidding, they'll love it!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    bondjames wrote: »
    The script is the #1 problem with SP and most of us noticed it. Brosnan is only stating the obvious.........whoever came up with this shiite script & concepts needs to be kept away from James Bond in the future. Whoever employed such scriptwriters may also need to be kept away.

It's the same two that have written every script since TND.
    At least SP is such fun and action that the script problems don't hurt the movie unlike SF who is borderline day time soap opera level script wise.
    QOS on the other hand is so fast-paced that the script (is there any at all?) doesn't bother much.
    CR is thanks to the great Martin Campbell a roaring success except maybe the Venice bit where the script gets messy.

It seems you've soured quite a bit on SP from what I remember.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it overall. I'm being objective here, as was Brosnan. Objectively the script is the worst part of SP.

Subjectively for me the film is a great ride up to London (despite a lot of tropes being inserted in Morocco). In London it collapses on all levels (objectively and subjectively). Probably one of the worst endings of any Bond film imho (including the SF Home Alone & CR Venice). We have not had a really good Bondian ending since GE (20 yrs ago) imho.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it overall. I'm being objective here, as was Brosnan. Objectively the script is the worst part of SP.

Subjectively for me the film is a great ride up to London. At that point it collapses on all levels (objectively and subjectively). Probably one of the worst endings of any Bond film imho (including the SF Home Alone & CR Venice). We have not had a good ending since GE (20 yrs ago) imho.

It seems we agree completely. Fix up the final act and I might have considered putting it in the top 10. I for one love SF's Home Alone ending and thought the closing scenes in Craig's previous three films have been on point. I think the worst endings are the lame ass dénouements of the trilogy of DAF, LaLD, and TMWTGG. SP isn't too far behind. Just no tension.

No, he was not that harsh but so what? He's constantly spouting out crap to lump onto Craig or the franchise. Look at his comments when The November Man came out, crap about Daniel Craig not being the only one to have a spy series going on, a clear dig at DC. It's obvious he is still bitter after all these years and can't stop taking any shots whenever he can.

And look, I like Brosnan, inside or outside Bond. But I'm sick of his comments since he left the role.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    There now. Let it flow.
    I shall. :((
  • Please. Brosnan's criticism was about as meek and mild as it gets. Only in our hypersensitive, jelly-spined days are his words taken as harsh.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Did we really need a new thread. It's his review it could go on the review spoiler thread. I'm no Brosnan fan but Jase is right this is just asking for Brosnan bashing. FYI I agree with him Dan was let down by a poor script.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    No, he was not that harsh but so what? He's constantly spouting out crap to lump onto Craig or the franchise. Look at his comments when The November Man came out, crap about Daniel Craig not being the only one to have a spy series going on, a clear dig at DC. It's obvious he is still bitter after all these years and can't stop taking any shots whenever he can.

And look, I like Brosnan, inside or outside Bond. But I'm sick of his comments since he left the role.

That's harsh and misinformed it was Brosnan who told Dan to go for it and love every moment of it. He went to dinner twice with Dan and offered him advice like Moore he has been a staunch supporter of the franchise beyond his tenure.
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Quite frankly, my dear, you're just wrong. An actor's job in the lead up to release is to promote his or her product by telling everyone how much better it is than everyone elses.

Outside of his November Man bits and pieces, there has been nothing even resembling harsh criticism - in fact he has been pretty enthusiastic overall, a turnaround from his act of 2003/2004/2005.

This is as harsh as it has been, and the above is actually pretty fair.
This discussion has been closed.