Craig: stay or go? has SPECTRE changed any opinions?

Comments

• edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425
    bondjames wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    If Dalton had taken the role in 1980 (if I remember correctly he was offered it in 1968 and '80 before actually taking it in '86) he would undoubtedly have become the defining interpretation of 007. The series would not have gone through the hiatus after '89 and we probably would have quite a few more quality entries than we currently do...
    What makes you so assuredly say this?

There is no evidence that Dalton would have been any more accepted commercially in 1980 than he was in 1987. Replacing an 'in-form' and young Moore post_MR (a massive financial success) would have been more of a challenge than replacing an 'out of form' and old Moore post-AVTAK.

Critically he may have been good. Commercially, he wasn't though.

Commercially he was fine, apart from one movie in one (admittedly very important) market - the US. LTK was pretty successful everywhere else, and if you read the reviews from the time there is a lot of positivity about Dalton and the films, even from US reviewers.

These days no film is as dependent on the US as films were back then. And the failure to do well in the US in 89 was at least partly down to the marketing campaign which was one of the worst in he history of the series.

There is every reason to believe that a more conventional, OTT and humourous Dalton Bond movie in '91 would have restored the commercial success in the US market.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    STAY. Hands down he NEEDS to stay. He deserves one more Bond film seeing how he has now fully embodied Bond. I want to see DC in this role forever but I know that is obviously unrealistic...

One more and I'll be satisfied. If he does more than one more I'll be extremely satisfied! He's the best.
    I'm fine with Craig doing one more. He deserves it. SP has restored some of my confidence in him after the disappointment of SF.

I would prefer Mendes to leave though. I've seen what he can do and think he's exhausted his back of tricks. We need some fresh thinking. Also, let's have a new writing team please.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 7,969
    Getafix wrote: »
    I'm fine with Craig doing one more. He deserves it. SP has restored some of my confidence in him after the disappointment of SF.

I would prefer Mendes to leave though. I've seen what he can do and think he's exhausted his back of tricks. We need some fresh thinking. Also, let's have a new writing team please.

I used to love Thunderball, I don't anymore. But I DO admit that TB has the greatest portrayal of Bond ever. Danny Boy in SPECTRE comes in at number two, for me.

IMO, the eighties gave us two truly classic Bond outings, those being The Living Daylights and Octopussy. LTK is decidedly NOT a classic, again IMO.

I would argue that SAM MENDES is needed to lure Craig back for one more. Those two are thick as theives nowadays. If you want you're dessert I'm afraid you'll have to eat up those veggies, in other words.

I used to love Thunderball, I don't anymore. But I DO admit that TB has the greatest portrayal of Bond ever. Danny Boy in SPECTRE comes in at number two, for me.

IMO, the eighties gave us two truly classic Bond outings, those being The Living Daylights and Octopussy. LTK is decidedly NOT a classic, again IMO.

I would argue that SAM MENDES is needed to lure Craig back for one more. Those two are thick as theives nowadays. If you want you're dessert I'm afraid you'll have to eat up those veggies, in other words.

Has there been any noise from EoN or Mendes on whether he might do another?

Agree with you about OP and TLD - love both of them. OP is one of my absolute favourites in the series.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited November 2015 Posts: 7,969

Agree with you about OP and TLD - love both of them. OP is one of my absolute favourites in the series.

I watched it today. Consistently enjoyable from start to finish. And thrilling too. That ending goes on forever and never sags. The suspense just keeps on ramping up! IMO Moore's finest. :)

I watched it today. Consistently enjoyable from start to finish. And thrilling too. That ending goes on forever and never sags. The suspense just keeps on ramping up! IMO Moore's finest. :)

100% agree. It's Moore's best IMO as well, although I love TSWLM.

The bomb defusing scene is marvellous. I've read with total bemusement comments about how the clown costume ruins it, whereas IMO thats what makes it so great - and Sir Rog carries it off with peerless style.

Mendes could have learned a thing or two about storytelling and tension from John Glen.

People get sniffy on here about about Glen, but give me a hack journeyman like Glen who knows his trade inside out over Mendes any day. Wasn't Glen also an editor and second unit director before? It all comes across in his films - they're so well put together - beautifully crafted.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Getafix

I must tell you, your view on SF, OP and Glen is practically congruent with mine.

Needless to say I always enjoy reading your posts.

Done buttering you up :))

I mean it sincerely of course :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Bouvier is one of my least favorite Bond girls. Lupe is s lousy actress,but I can't stop staring at her.

Bouvier's short hair look....

=P~
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Bouvier is one of my least favorite Bond girls. Lupe is s lousy actress,but I can't stop staring at her.

Bouvier's short hair look....

=P~

And THAT dress...
    ...and with removable part...
    I love that scene B-)
    Love that scene too. Especially since she could have just given Bond the gun that was in her handbag, but she wanted to flirt and see the look on Bonds face when she removed the bottom half of the dress, the cheeky minx! Carey Lowell, one of my favourite Bond girls!
    Also love the admiration here for OP, great Bond movie and much overlooked, mainly because of the humour, but it has brilliant moments, And wasn't Tim Dalton approached to play 007, when Roger was doing his 'leave them waiting' bit with his contract?
    Daltons the main man, but I think I prefer Roger in OP.
    Sorry, went off topic! Definitely Craig should stay!
  • JNOJNO Finland
    Stay. Period.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Love that scene too. Especially since she could have just given Bond the gun that was in her handbag, but she wanted to flirt and see the look on Bonds face when she removed the bottom half of the dress, the cheeky minx! Carey Lowell, one of my favourite Bond girls!
    Also love the admiration here for OP, great Bond movie and much overlooked, mainly because of the humour, but it has brilliant moments, And wasn't Tim Dalton approached to play 007, when Roger was doing his 'leave them waiting' bit with his contract?
    Daltons the main man, but I think I prefer Roger in OP.

I agree. I am a big Dalton fan but there's no touching Sir Rog when he's firing on all cylinders.
    Mendes could have learned a thing or two about storytelling and tension from John Glen.

People get sniffy on here about about Glen, but give me a hack journeyman like Glen who knows his trade inside out over Mendes any day. Wasn't Glen also an editor and second unit director before? It all comes across in his films - they're so well put together - beautifully crafted.
    This. Absolutely.

boldfinger wrote: »

This. Absolutely.

John Glen filmed the bob-sleigh action sequence in OHMSS

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mepal1 wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »

This. Absolutely.

John Glen filmed the bob-sleigh action sequence in OHMSS
    And the ridiculously excellent (to this day) plane pretitles in MR.
    John Glen is a genius, it's that simple.
  • Wasn't Bond 24 and Bond 25 meant to be conceived as two parts of the same story? Or was that before they got the rights to SPECTRE back?

That idea was kicking around. It still seems the case to me now, having seen SP - the ending pretty much cries out for a follow-on/ESB return if you ask me....I don't get people saying it seems a perfect wrap-up for DC.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 4,622
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Sounds like he wants to.come back for sure, but groan, it also sounds like he wants Mendes back too.
    Maybe he is just being politic. I do hope so.
    I thought Sam wanted to focus on his theatre work.
    I hope. Please

It doesnt necessarely mean, he wants Sam back, just because he speaks family. There are so many others, he has worked with for years now. I dont think, Sam will be back this time around or will be begged quite as hard.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Maybe Craig could try to reel in Steven Spielberg. :D
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    He should stay for another. It seems like we're slowly moving back to the Bonds of old, first by changing the tone. Hopefully Bond 25 removes the whole personal feel.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,425
    He should stay for another. It seems like we're slowly moving back to the Bonds of old, first by changing the tone. Hopefully Bond 25 removes the whole personal feel.

It seems unlikely that will now happen - I mean that they will remove the personal dimension.
  • nunoloulenunoloule Portugal
    Time to Daniel Craig leave 007.
    Too old face.
    He seems always angry and tired.
    If Craig does Bond 25, it could be one 007 movie too many.
    Brocolli can bring Mrs. Craig instead for the Bond Girl.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    If he is insisting on Mendes, then I say it's probably time for him to go, good though he has been. I'm truly done with Mendes.
    If he is insisting on Mendes, then I say it's probably time for him to go, good though he has been. I'm truly done with Mendes.

Agreed. I feel less keen on the idea of Nolan as well. I feel SPECTRE was very Nolan-esque.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,020

Agreed. I feel less keen on the idea of Nolan as well. I feel SPECTRE was very Nolan-esque.

Spot-on.
    If I had not known who directed SP I would have bet it was Nolan and certainly not Mendes.