What if Pierce Brosnan played Bond from 1986 until 2012

in Actors Posts: 32
It was in the 11th hour when Brosnan almost got the Bond role but he lost it to Timothy Dalton, due to his contract to Remington Steele. Could you imagine if Brosnan started Bond in 1986, from TLD, LTK, up to Skyfall, (even the canceled 1991/92 Bond film TPOAL)? We've imagined if Sean Connery played Bond until 1985. So we have only two long Bond eras in the franchise. Sean Connery (1962-1985) and Pierce Brosnan (1986-2012).

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'd be the happiest Bond fan ever! :D
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I am sincerely grateful that such a thing did not happen.

I enjoyed Dalton's two immensely, and Brosnan's first......maybe even his 2nd.

I would not have wanted him to have been Bond until 2012. In fact, he should perhaps have stopped in 1997 imho.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Id prefer from Goldeneye till Skyfall.

You all know i adore Pierce and he is my favorite Bond Alomg with Connery but i think he would have looked a little too young in the living Daylights.
    Even if his latter films were not so well received by the critics it was great Pierce had to wait till 1995 since he got time to have more acting experience and looked better when he finally got the gig.

Actually he got better looking as the films advanced and also his portrayal was better, he was fantastic in Goldeneye but he was just a perfect 10 in his latter films.

In goldeneye he had a 9 in the other 3 he had the perfect 10
  • If I could rewrite the Bond timeline I'd go:

Connery making 5 films 1962-1967 (with his last being a faithful adaptation of the MR novel)
    Lazenby making 2 films 1969-1971 (with his last being a faithful adaptation of the YOLT novel)
    Moore making 5 films 1973-1981
    Dalton making 5 films 1983-1991
    Brosnan making 5 films 1993-2002 (with his entire era having more of a GE feel to them and not just being action films that feature James Bond)
    Craig making 5 films 2006-2017/2018 (with a lot of changes being made to QoS & SP)

I feel like Connery & Moore stayed too long, Dalton wasn't around for long enough, Lazenby deserved one more (he wasn't bad by any means, but I would kill to see a true follow up to OHMSS), and it'd be great to see Brosnan get in the role a couple of years earlier.
    What a ghastly prospect. I'd have long since walked away from Bond I think.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    That'd have been far too long for ANY Bond actor, irrespective of how good they were!
  • GHettoblasterGHettoblaster New York, USA
    Sounds like something out of a bad dream lol I agree with the above poster though, wayyyyy to long. That's 26 years of the same bond. That's unheard of.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    He was looking too old in 2002 though!!!!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    I'd be the happiest Bond fan ever! :D
    Seconded. :D
    Come on............Pierce has been out of shape for quite a long time now!
    He had a full on beer belly in After the Sunset in 2004!
  • I would have committed suicide by crocodile!!!
    I would have committed suicide by crocodile!!!

Certainly a novel way in which to do it.
  • The idea makes me want to cry :((
    lalala2004 wrote: »
    The idea makes me want to cry :((
    Tears of Joy? :P
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    He probably looked better in November Man than in DAD.

Sorry, but Pierce had his time as Bond...........time to move on!

I mean if it was Timothy Dalton we were talking about I'd have no problem with it... ;)
    mepal1 wrote: »

You can't kill my dreams. :D

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Yes, but your dream can kill me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »

We faced our destiny ten years ago. ;)
    bondjames wrote: »

You only live twice Mr. bondjames. :P
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited November 2015 Posts: 3,332
    I think Brosnan would have fit TLD like a glove and it seems as though some of it was written with him in mind given that it was essentially his job at one point. It balances the action/seriousness/humor of the Brosnan era. However, personally, I'm glad Dalton did TLD as it is one of my absolute favorites.

LTK is another great one, a black sheep of the franchise that is often overlooked that I am not sure how Brosnan would have done with. I'm sure the finish product would have been much different and since I enjoy LTK I wouldn't want that messed with.

It wouldn't have made sense to have Brozzer in the reboot. I would have liked one more chance for Brosnan to capitalize, but for the franchise it was much better to have a 4 year layoff followed by a new take on the franchise.

I appreciate the Brosnan era and have fond memories unlike many (seems to be trendy to bash it these days); but, 95-02 seems like the right timeline for him.
    What is the purpose of threads like this? I don't get it...
    jobo wrote: »
    What is the purpose of threads like this? I don't get it...

Exactly........i was going to post the same thing myself......this thread is totally pointless!

• edited November 2015 Posts: 99
    Brosnan's the only Bond I like, so it would have been great for me.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,043
    Would have given up on Bond a considerable amount of years ago.

This will also be the case if I don't buy the next actor as Bond, life is too short to hang around forums bitching about something you have no control over.

It's your prerogative but going on about a film series that isn't going your way because you used to love but now it doesn't resemble what you believe to be the character anymore after 4 films, it's time to move on and find another series/franchise to be passionate about.

I watched the Brosnan's but I wasn't passionate about them and if he'd continued after DAD I would have been gone till an actor who was worthy of my cash turned up, thankfully he did.
    Bosnian's the only Bond I like, so it would have been great for me.

Who's Bosnian?.............btw:- arn't you posting at the wrong JB forum?

;)
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    It's tricky, as the financial issues leading to the 6 year gap between LTK and GE might have still happened had Brosnan taken the role and the 87/89 Bond films been greater successes. Would Brosnan still want to be Bond after 6 years of legal wrangling? Would a Brosnan film in the early 90's still be successful in a changing cinematic climate?

The furthest he could probably go is 2005, which a lot of us were still expecting a Brosnan swan song until then. Assuming he stayed on, it would have easily been the longest tenure as Bond and one unlikely to be matched by anyone. It probably would have made it harder for his successor to emerge from his shadow.

The other unseen side effect is the loss of Dalton, whose dangerous edge has been adapted by his successors. A decent amount of what people praise Craig and Brosnan for during their runs was pioneered by Dalton. With that gone, would the new Brosnan Bond take more from Roger's version of the role? Connery? Would his Bond bring something new to the table or end up as the Greatest Hits version that we got instead.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I mean if it was Timothy Dalton we were talking about I'd have no problem with it... ;)

He's bald now.