"Is Superman giving you any trouble?"

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
in Bond Movies Posts: 17,687
What moments in Bond movies made you think "WTF? NO WAY!!"

In no particular order I have four 'Superman' moments that I could have easily done without:

OP- hanging on to the outside of a plane whilst fighting.
Please. Was this really necessary? At least Moore gave us a few 'holding-on-for-dear-life' expressions.
GE- the PTS freefall plane catch.
As depicted, no, I do not believe a Bond can fly.
CR- the endless chase with the parkour dude.
I'm all for Bond doing some crazy s**t, but even Olympian triathletes must have balked seeing this demonstration of super-human endurance.
SF- under the ice.
Passengers on the Titanic could have used Bond's ability to withstand hypothermia...
:))

So, what (if any) are yours?

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Stopping and starting your heart at will is beyond Superman, so I guess that doesn t count?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,687
    Stopping and starting your heart at will is beyond Superman, so I guess that doesn't count?
    LOL, only The Man Of Steele could do that one!

=))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    SP - falling off a collapsing building and landing on a sofa with hardly a scratch, while the party / festival continues like nothing's happened
    SP - shooting with precision and killing nearly a dozen armed goons at Blofeld's HQ while standing out in the open for much of it, without even taking a nick anywhere, & shortly after surviving not one, but two needles pressed deep into the base of one's skull on either side.
    DAD - surviving a laser being fired from space that slices half the iceberg you're on, creating a tsunami that you are able to escape by parasailing via a parachute installed to a rocket car
    bondjames wrote: »
    SP - falling off a collapsing building and landing on a sofa with hardly a scratch, while the party / festival continues like nothing's happened
    SP - shooting with precision and killing nearly a dozen armed goons at Blofeld's HQ while standing out in the open for much of it, without even taking a nick anywhere, & shortly after surviving not one, but two needles pressed deep into the base of one's skull on either side.
    Sorry, little niggles exaggerated because of personal bias don't count here. ;))
    DAD - surviving a laser being fired from space that slices half the iceberg you're on, creating a tsunami that you are able to escape by parasailing via a parachute installed to a rocket car
    Ok. :))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Sorry, little niggles exaggerated because of personal bias don't count here. ;))
    You're right, you shouldn't let your biases get in the way.

You asked for 'Superman' moments, and those are mine. If I think of any more, I'll let you know.
    You asked for 'Superman' moments, and those are mine. If I think of any more, I'll let you know.
    Hate for a particular film is bias IMHO. You cited moments that do NOT fit into the criteria for this discussion.
    Hate for a particular film is bias IMHO. You cited moments that do NOT fit into the criteria for this discussion.
    Sorry mate. They fit right in as far as I'm concerned. If you disagree, explain. Don't just put some stupid funny face and make a blanket statement. Support it.

Those moments I cited are superman moments. I enjoyed the pretitles, but what I cited fits the criteria you asked for imho.
    Superman. As is in not possible IYO.
    Superman. As is in not possible IYO.
    It's just as unrealistic as the ones you cited to open the discussion imho. Particularly the fall from the collapsing building without a scratch. Great fun. I loved it, and it is definitely a superior Bondian moment (just like the other ones you cited), but quite 'superman' nonetheless, which is probably why it was done with CGI. Again imho.

Didn't like the shootout at Blofeld HQ personally, but ignoring that, I can't think of another moment quite like that in the entire 24 film canon (escaping that kind of death inducing torture and then shooting dead with pinpoint accuracy at least one dozen goons without getting hit in return). I may be able to come up with another moment like this.....will let you know if I do. That's pretty Marvel imho.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
    HASEROT wrote: »
    DAD - slowing his heart beat.
    DAD - swimming under the ice, without fully knowing if an entrance to Graves' living quarters even existed - that takes super human perception. (and don't even get me started on how they managed to build a lush and warm jungle environment, ON TOP OF A FROZEN LAKE WITHOUT IT MELTING.. thats for another discussion.)
    DAD - out running what is essentially concentrated light - thats F-ing impossible.
    DAD - whats even more impossible, is not killing yourself, or getting a severe concussion when the jet car goes over the side of ice cliff, and smacks hard into the glacier wall.
    DAD - windsurfing a tsunami
    DAD - being able to withstand and live through being electrocuted with 100,000 volts of sith lightning for over a minute.
    DAD sort of personifies this discussion.
    L-)
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited November 2015 Posts: 306
    DAD - slowing his heart beat.
    DAD - swimming under the ice, without fully knowing if an entrance to Graves' living quarters even existed - that takes super human perception. (and don't even get me started on how they managed to build a lush and warm jungle environment, ON TOP OF A FROZEN LAKE WITHOUT IT MELTING.. thats for another discussion.)
    DAD - out running what is essentially concentrated light - thats F-ing impossible.
    DAD - whats even more impossible, is not killing yourself, or getting a severe concussion when the jet car goes over the side of ice cliff, and smacks hard into the glacier wall.
    DAD - windsurfing a tsunami
    DAD - being able to withstand and live through being electrocuted with 100,000 volts of sith lightning for over a minute.

That one always gets me!

LOL! Poor Die Another Day!

=))
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
  • There have been more than a handful of Superman moments throughout the series, but the one that springs immediately to mind, much as I do love the film, is Bond's free-fall from an exploding plane down the near bottomless mouth of a sinkhole in Quantum of Solace, where he grapples briefly at someone wearing a parachute before slamming full force into a solid rock floor. Wakes up a couple hours later...nary a scratch.

Being shot off a speeding train and plummeting hundreds of feet, even into a river, was a stretch too Superman in Skyfall as well, but the Quantum of Solace plummet into solid rock really does take the cake for me for superhuman indestructibility.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote:
    SF- under the ice.
    Passengers on the Titanic could have used Bond's ability to withstand hypothermia...

Sorry but that's not how hypothermia works. Bond was immersed in that water for maybe 2 or 3 minutes and it takes.... 10 to 15.

Would Bond have been freezing? Yes considerably.

But as long as he got out of those wet things after M died he would've been fine.

Although that does give rise to the shocking image of Frederick Gray coming into the church to find Bond keeping the British end up with Kincaide!

FYEO - supposedly gritty and realistic after the excess of MR? That fall from the cliff top would've snapped his spine like a breadstick.

• Stopping and starting your heart at will is beyond Superman, so I guess that doesn t count?

Batman can & has done it. Of course, everyone KNOWS that Batman is actually more powerful than Superman so...

:-\"
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Stopping and starting your heart at will is beyond Superman, so I guess that doesn t count?

He didn't stop his heart he just slowed his heartbeat down enough so the stupid machine didn't read it anymore.
    You obviously have never seen any Asian movie.
    chrisisall wrote:
    SF- under the ice.

Sorry but that's not how hypothermia works. Bond was immersed in that water for maybe 2 or 3 minutes and it takes.... 10 to 15.

Would Bond have been freezing? Yes considerably.

But as long as he got out of those wet things after M died he would've been fine.

i was about to say the same thing, and you beat me to it... curse you Wizard! ;)

It was highly ridiculous nonetheless. A fight underwater, then walking over to the church which was not exactly next to where it happened and of course keeping the clothes on all the way.

But here is the most ridiculous moment ever:

QOS Camille and Bond jumping out the plane with one parachute. Downspiralling uncontrolled. Opening the thing 30 meters above ground. Hitting the ground.

No scratch whatsoever and tea-time with cake and conversation on the rocks.
    They didn't hit the ground. They jumped right into a pit. A pretty deep pit. However, due to the sloppy editing, we never got that part right. Nor did we know just how Bond was able to get rid of the helicopter and the plane that were shooting at him, come to think of it. Plus, special forces (like the SAS) do that all the time. Does the acronym HALO ring a bell ?
    Gerard wrote: »
    They didn't hit the ground. They jumped right into a pit. A pretty deep pit. However, due to the sloppy editing, we never got that part right. Nor did we know just how Bond was able to get rid of the helicopter and the plane that were shooting at him, come to think of it. Plus, special forces (like the SAS) do that all the time. Does the acronym HALO ring a bell ?

Believe me if you can't get control of your fall and open the parachute at that close distance to the ground, you will get hurt pretty badly. Let alone that they were two with one parachute.
    And special forces certainly don't do this all the time.
    A controlled jump and fall is what decides over being alive or dead when you hit the ground.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I surprised Bond survived Jinx's constant punning
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    The "stopping heart beat" thing could have been done much better. If you squeeze a ping ball ball under your armpit anyone trying to take your pulse on that wrist will think your heart rate is dropping practically to nil. Bond could have done that and been clever, instead of using zen powers and being daft.
    Sark wrote: »
    The "stopping heart beat" thing could have been done much better. If you squeeze a ping ball ball under your armpit anyone trying to take your pulse on that wrist will think your heart rate is dropping practically to nil. Bond could have done that and been clever, instead of using zen powers and being daft.
    We didn't see him NOT apply pressure to that area with his latissimus dorsi muscle...
  • royale65 wrote: »
    I surprised Bond survived Jinx's constant punning

• SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Sark wrote: »
    We didn't see him NOT apply pressure to that area with his latissimus dorsi muscle...
    True enough. If people can give ex post facto explanations of Q's magic ring in SP we can explain Bond's 'trick' in DAD the same way.
  • Roger Moore with Miss world in the ice berg sub in AVTAK getting it on, totally unbelievable.
    Bond is no Superman but a bloody Terminator in SF, gets shot and still moves on (should have been dead within minutes due to the ammunition that was used), get shot again and falls of a high bridge bridge into a river. The shots don't kill him, the fall don't kill him and he does not drown, SF must be the official Terminator 5 movie.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,727
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Bond is no Superman but a bloody Terminator in SF, gets shot and still moves on (should have been dead within minutes due to the ammunition that was used), get shot again and falls of a high bridge bridge into a river. The shots don't kill him, the fall don't kill him and he does not drown, SF must be the official Terminator 5 movie.

Not, that was the Brosnan Bond era as a whole in my view.