Best character played by Timothy Dalton besides Bond?

in Actors Posts: 32
Remember, Timothy Dalton is my #1 favorite Bond actor! and a huge Dalton fan. And I was born when Timothy Dalton was Bond!

Heathcliff
Prince Rupert
Prince Barin
Bancroft
Basil St. John
Neville Sinclair
Boris Pochenko
Julius Caesar
Allan Pinkerton
Damien Drake
Amphitryon
Simon Skinner
Rassilon
Mr. Pricklepants (voice from Toy Story series)
Chief Inspector Jones

I guess that the TV series Penny Dreadful could become Dalton's last gig.

Comments

• Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    The ruler from The Beautician and the Beast. :P
  • Simon Skinner is probably my favorite. Dalton easily makes Hott Fuzz my favorite out of the Cornetto Trilogy.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Loved him as Neville Sinclair. :)
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,564
    A second vote here for Neville Sinclair. I also really liked him as Prince Barin. In fact, when I first saw Dalton in Flash Gordon, I honestly thought: "Hey, without the moustache, that guy could make a good James Bond!"
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    Loved him as Neville Sinclair. :)

This.

Actually, my first introduction to Dalton.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Neville Sinclair and Damian Drake are my top favourite Dalton characters besides Bond. :)
    Neville Sinclair and Simon Skinner because Dalton just steals every single scene he's in and looks to be having the most fun he's ever had.
    I've seen Made Men, starring James Belushi and Michael Beach, Dalton also played a bad guy in that movie.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited December 2015 Posts: 4,399
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    I think he made a wonderful heathclif even though his movie Wuthering heights was the worst adaptation and hatted how they killed heathcliff but his portrayal was spot on from what the book called for.

Dalton and Ralph Fiennes have been the two best heathcliff of all time and unlike my fascination with Bond that i haven't read the books i did read Wuthering heights and Dalton was perfect as heathcliff the role fitts him like a globe.

Dalton and Fiennes perfectly managed to portray both sides of this character the evil man looking for revenge and the guy loved Cathy with all his heart.

I saw the TV movie with Tom hardy and charlotte Riley and Hardy wasn't able to pull of the first part propertly.
    Hardy was wonderful in the second act actually better than Fiennes and Dalton but the other two had more flexible performance.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Sheriff Oliver Seccombe in the tv series Centennial.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I haven't seen a lot of Dalton's work outside of Bond but, from what I have seen, its got to be Simon Skinner.

Maybe it was Skinner who was voicing this advert. I love his theatrical annunciations.
  • I love him as Sir Malcolm in Penny Dreadful- he's the whole reason I started watching that show!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Mr. Rochester in the 1983 BBC adaption of Jane Eyre for me. Simply stunning.
    I love him as Sir Malcolm in Penny Dreadful- he's the whole reason I started watching that show!

It could be Dalton's last role, before he retires.

• What about Phillip II of France in The Lion In Winter, the role that made Dalton rise in cinema and, at least as far as I know, made Salzman and Broccoli consider him for OHMSS in the first place?
    Here is a recent photo of Timothy sporting his submariner from LTK.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/james-bond-star-timothy-dalton-6742237

Think Babs should have had him play the role Finney did in SF.
    I don't know what the answer is to this question but surely it's Dalton
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Simon Skinner, I like Dalton better when be plays villains. It works really well to his skills as an actor.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Simon Skinner, obviously. He's having a blast with that role.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Simon Skinner, I like Dalton better when be plays villains. It works really well to his skills as an actor.

That's because a). he has an imposing (i.e. sinister) stature and b). He can go over the top with the theatrics.
    Simon Skinner, obviously. He's having a blast with that role.

He even says in the Hot Fuzz audio commentary that shooting out of a car window at high speed was the most fun he ever had making a film.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Alexei Wolkoff
    in Chuck
    My favorite Dalton roles (other than Bond) . . . let's see:

Neville Sinclair ("The Rocketeer")

Edward Rochester ("Jane Eyre")

Oliver Seccombe ("Centennial" - and he was NOT a sheriff)

Alexei Volkoff ("Chuck" - and he was a BLAST)

Philip II ("The Lion in the Winter")
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I absolutely loved him as Simon Skinner, he was perfect in that role.

I'm still disappointed he wasn't cast as Alfred in the upcoming Batman films though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Dalton would have been the perfect Alfred for the modern age.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Much as I'm happy Jeremy Irons is Alfred now, it would be awesome if it were Dalton, especially if he had the mustache.
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    For me it has to be Eddie Myers in Linda La Plante's FRAMED - an enigmatic supergrass played with real menace and subtlety by Dalton. He plays the UK special branch for fools and has real fun in the role. It was the antithesis of Bond in between LTK and Goldeneye and a great drama.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DRush76 wrote: »
    Oliver Seccombe ("Centennial" - and he was NOT a sheriff)

You are quite right. Long time since I saw this. He was a writer and later a businessman dealing with cattle.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    aspie wrote: »
    Here is a recent photo of Timothy sporting his submariner from LTK.
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/james-bond-star-timothy-dalton-6742237

Think Babs should have had him play the role Finney did in SF.

Just because I'm a watch nut, I want to possibly correct this article. Tim does not appear to be wearing a Submariner in the recent shot walking in London. He is more likely wearing an Omega Seamaster Professional 300 (like Brosnan's or Craig's from CR), commonly known as the Bond Omega. The bracelet and case tapering towards the crown are giveaways.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I think he had one of the most impressive big screen debuts in The Lion in Winter.

His villains in The Rocketeer and Hot Fuzz are a delight to watch too. But one of my favourite performances has to be in Permission to Kill, an excellent little spy movie from the 70's which has been largely forgotten.