SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• edited November 2015 Posts: 2,015
    More critics are published in the French media.
    The most influential popular magazine for French intellectuals (the kind of magazine some love and some others love to hate), Telerama, published the review of Spectre.

It gave 5 stars to CR. 3 stars to QOS. 4 stars to SF (stars rating are converted from the text by the "French RT")

For SPECTRE, it gave
    1 star !

Actually when reading the text, the magazine is divided : they published one critic in favour, and one against.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited November 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Spectre over takes Jurassic World at the UK Box office to become highest grossing film at he UK box office this year! POW!
  • FYI, BO data is so "detailed" in France I can give you the following figures : France's top 10 SPECTRE viewings yesterday, movie theater by movie theater :)

1 - Kinepolis de Lomme = 3 122
    2 - Gaumont Wilson (Toulouse) = 2 136
    3 - Gaumont de Rennes = 1 881
    4 - UGC Bercy = 1 879
    5 - Gaumont Carré-Sénart = 1 857
    6 - Grand Rex = 1 856
    7 - Pathé Chavant (Grenoble) = 1 832
    8 - UGC La Défense = 1 755
    9 - Pathé Belle Epine = 1 712
    10 - Gaumont Labège = 1 705
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Stamper wrote: »
    It will do 1.8 billion

It's had a weaker opening than SF's in some markets and received lesser-loved reviews than SF, and yet you expect it to make $600 million more?

Legs. Openings don't mean shit.
  • Spectre over takes Jurassic World at the UK Box office to become highest grossing film at he UK box office this year! POW!

And well-deserved. "Jurassic Park" got way way too much credit box office wise....
  • SPECTRE will break records in France for the opening. But don't forget that 1.5 day will be counted into 1 day (the movie was out yesterday at 5pm, while they usually open Wednesday morning). It is a coup to break records... But it doesn"t tell much about the final results.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    As the film has just opened in Paris, the French have reported very strong admissions for SP, and it could be a very big opening weekend in France.

Opening day in South Korea............admissions high, but slightly less than those for SF.

One thing that is going against SP, is the current exchange rates from local currencies into dollars. The rate dropped towards the end of last week, meaning the film was robbed of a few million dollars!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    mepal1 wrote: »
    As the film has just opened in Paris, the French have reported very strong admissions for SP, and it could be a very big opening weekend in France.

One thing that is going against SP, is the current exchange rates from local currencies into dollars. The rate dropped towards the end of last week, meaning the film was robbed of a few million dollars!

EON is a British company I'd guess. The British Pound will apply I think and not the USD.
    Exchange rates still hurting though. Spectre I believe took more than Skyfall on opening in Russia, when measured in Russian Roubles, but less when it was converted back to USD or GBP.
    Getting hurt pretty bad in Noway aswell, because of currrent exchange rates
    Good news SP's BO in North America went up by 38% Tuesday to $7,321,682

Total now after 5 days = $83,041,709
    Great news indeed =)

EON is a British company I'd guess. The British Pound will apply I think and not the USD.

Ummm.......it is actually dollars, as all BO earnings are counted in $US.......as obviously the film world has its base in Hollywood!

An example of the drop in exchange rates..........initially on Sunday night SP's UK BO performance was calculated to be the equivalent of just over $100 mil, but now with the latest rates, this figure has gone down to somewhere around $98 mil!

• mepal1 wrote: »

That's very good indeed. "Skyfall" earned $7,215,854 on the same Tuesday, though that was after a Monday-Holiday. Anyone knows why the box office went up? Probably holiday on Wednesday in the US no?

That's very good indeed. "Skyfall" earned $7,215,854 on the same Tuesday, though that was after a Monday-Holiday. Anyone knows why the box office went up? Probably holiday on Wednesday in the US no?

Yes.......there is a Veterans day holiday on Weds...........so the gross for SP should be even higher than Tuesdays.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    SPECTRE will break records in France for the opening. But don't forget that 1.5 day will be counted into 1 day (the movie was out yesterday at 5pm, while they usually open Wednesday morning). It is a coup to break records... But it doesn"t tell much about the final results.

Today was a national holiday in France, wasn't it? I think that might boost the BO for yesterday evening.
    SPECTRE will break records in France for the opening. But don't forget that 1.5 day will be counted into 1 day (the movie was out yesterday at 5pm, while they usually open Wednesday morning). It is a coup to break records... But it doesn"t tell much about the final results.

Today was a national holiday in France, wasn't it? I think that might boost the BO for yesterday evening.

SP had the 2nd highest number of admissions of all-time, for its opening in Paris.

Only Spiderman 3 has had more!

• The China opening will be intriguing. More screens for starters. Second, with the Chinese visit to London only a few weeks ago there may be a kind of SF knock-on effect of Brit-love. Just the sight of the Chinese premier supping a pint of Greene King IPA with Cameron has apparently seen Greene King beer exports to China rocket. Given MGW was busy showing off the DB10 to the Chinese at some fancy do, let's hope there's a similar effect for Bond!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It will do 1.8 billion

It's had a weaker opening than SF's in some markets and received lesser-loved reviews than SF, and yet you expect it to make $600 million more?

They can. Weaker opening and 'The Force Awakens' slowly approaching equates to SP reaching nowhere near $1.8 billion. If that happens, I'll eat my own hat.
    The Chinese film market for Hollywood films is a funny one!
    i.e. Only a selection of non-Chinese films are allowed to play in that country, though it does appear to me, that more and more Hollywood films are playing in China these days.......but even then the films are restricted to a 4 week run only..........and on top of that the Hollywood studios, only receive back 25% of the films takings in that market!

Anyway, here's hoping SP makes a shed load of money in China. :)
    It will do 1.8 billion

They can. Weaker opening and 'The Force Awakens' slowly approaching equates to SP reaching nowhere near $1.8 billion. If that happens, I'll eat my own hat.

1.8 billion..........sorry no chance of that! :))
    From comments from Chinese film fans on the internet...........the early word is looking very good for 'Spectre'.......and it looks like the film is going to take a massive chunk percentage wise of this weekends BO takings.
    Meanwhile 'The Peanuts Movie' or 'Snoopy' as its called in China is doing very poorly, apparently the Chinese know jack s**t about this character, and are just not interested in it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    As for Peanuts, I bet this will be scaring a lot of kids off.
    hqdefault.jpg

Stick to holiday TV specials. I don't even think Peanuts is even relevant anymore.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    From comments from Chinese film fans on the internet...........the early word is looking very good for 'Spectre'.......and it looks like the film is going to take a massive chunk percentage wise of this weekends BO takings.
    Meanwhile 'The Peanuts Movie' or 'Snoopy' as its called in China is doing very poorly, apparently the Chinese know jack s**t about this character, and are just not interested in it.

Peanuts shouldn't be a factor in China. Regardless, SP's China gross is unlikely to come in over $100m to $115m on the top end I would think. I'd be surprised if it exceeds this.....pleasantly surprised.

SP is trending 25% below SF at the moment (to date) which translates into $200m to $225m gross stateside, if the %'s hold (it is expected to drop around 50% next weekend, which is better than SF's drop, but off a much smaller opening number last weekend).

I think it will drop a little more on weekend 3 (% wise) compared to SF, so we likely will end up with about $180m to $190m overall gross (it would be great if it could exceed that but it will need a miracle).
    bondjames wrote: »

Peanuts shouldn't be a factor in China. Regardless, SP's China gross is unlikely to come in over $100m to $115m on the top end I would think. I'd be surprised if it exceeds this.....pleaantly surprised.

SP is trending 25% below SF at the moment (to date) which means about $200m to $225m gross stateside, if the %'s hold (it is expected to drop around 50% next weekend, which is better than SF's drop, but off a much smaller opening number last weekend).

Yes.........i only mentioned 'Peanuts', just to show how films in different cultures perform, and not as in competition for SP.

........and, as you have mentioned, $200-225 mil looks like the more likely North American BO for SP. The film needs to make as much dosh as it can at the present, while the market place is relatively quiet!.......this coming weekend is a very good opportunity.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Watch SP make some crazy money in China like the latest 'Transformers' did.
    Watch SP make some crazy money in China like the latest 'Transformers' did.

Would be cool if Spectre did some crazy money like "Furious 7" did.
    That movie did $400 million in China alone.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't see it beating MI-RN (Chinese co-production and co-financed with Jack Ma's Alibaba and the Chinese state tv company). That one did $137m so I expect SP to come in between $100M and $115M. It if beats that, it will be great news, but it's unlikely.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Latest UK BO figures for SP i have seen, posted midweek, SP is upto £68.5 mil or $104+ mil...........film still pulling in the crowds to the tune of $2.4 mil during each workday!
  • bondjames wrote: »

Peanuts shouldn't be a factor in China. Regardless, SP's China gross is unlikely to come in over $100m to $115m on the top end I would think. I'd be surprised if it exceeds this.....pleasantly surprised.

You should feel happy with whatever figure comes out of China. And not make it sound like it is 'Peanuts' :-). And don't forget there were quite a few poor performers in China.