Music in SPECTRE

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    antovolk wrote: »
    THE gunbarrel cue in this video starting at 0:51!

Great snippet after the explosion there of Mendes and Dan in jubilant embrace at how well the explosion and scene went. Two guys clearly passionate and determined to get things right. The explosion from memory, I don't know if it was an angle issue did not look as impressive in the cinema as it did in that You Tube video, it looked better in the you tube video through the multiple stages left and right back boom, centre back boom, front centre boom. Wonder the cinematic camera would have been better placed higher and further back nearer to where the documentary camera was capturing it.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Anyone else get Donna Lucia stuck in their head?
    YES - got the clean gunbarrel cue from the video. Uploading now....
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited November 2015 Posts: 1,727
    YES - got the clean gunbarrel cue from the video. Uploading now....

I can't watch it, i fear I will j*** in my pants...
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 3,164
    Allow me to interrupt your regularly scheduled horse manure with....

THE SPECTRE GUNBARREL MUSIC! Albeit it doesn't have the build up that we get over the studio logos but this is as good as it gets, and in 24-bit FLAC. Thank the folks at Sony for using it in the new short featurette that came out this morning.

FLAC/MP3 320 download:
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Thanks @antovolk, :-bd
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    "The folder does not exist" :(
    @ggl007, I also saved it here for my lost Bond music thread. :)

http://picosong.com/6iFB/
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks! Now I got it!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Watched it again.

Score is excellent. Absolutely superb imho, including the HINX intro/tune.

However, I really think Newman blew it at the end in the London scenes from MI6 HQ onwards. It was just too loud (like Zimmer in Interstellar) to the extent that it became a little annoying (competing with what was happening on the screen). Apart from the start of the Bond theme (dah dah da da) blaring as Bond pulled out his Walter when trying to take out Blofeld's helicopter, the music seemed too much in this section for me.

Overall I'm very happy with this score, as an accompaniment the film, but like SF, I won't be buying the soundtrack.
    I have been listening to the score, and still, find it fantastic. Detonation is a piece of music that isn't getting all the praise that it deserves.

0iker0 wrote: »
    I have been listening to the score, and still, find it fantastic. Detonation is a piece of music that isn't getting all the praise that it deserves.

I think this specific track gave me new-found respect for Newman - everyone is complaining about the finale to SPECTRE but I really felt it was just a classic (relatively ridiculous) Bond finale that worked in the film it's a part of, and I was really involved in the action mostly, I'm thinking, because of this score.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Allow me to interrupt your regularly scheduled horse manure with....

THE SPECTRE GUNBARREL MUSIC! Albeit it doesn't have the build up that we get over the studio logos but this is as good as it gets, and in 24-bit FLAC. Thank the folks at Sony for using it in the new short featurette that came out this morning.

FLAC/MP3 320 download:

Annoying that it's not actually on the soundtrack CD.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Sorry to interrupt your discussion but after watching the movie twice (and listening to the OST dozens..) its is clearly growing on me.
    Still am disappointed with the reuse of so many tunes and themes from the Skyfall score. But i have to admit that, in the movie, the score works very well and helps keep a very good pace and the editing is 5 stars.
    To bad TN didnt use more (and for more time) that tune used for Madeleine Swan's scenes (romantic and more dramtic). Too brief, but vey nice.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    To bad TN didnt use more (and for more time) that tune used for Madeleine Swan's scenes (romantic and more dramtic). Too brief, but vey nice.

Said the same a page back, and fully agree - especially that piano sereno that featured in the Secret Room sequence.
    I really enjoyed Tempus Fugit, it reminded me of Baron Samedi's theme from LALD.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal

Said the same a page back, and fully agree - especially that piano sereno that featured in the Secret Room sequence.

Those scenes with that music reminded me of OHMSS and CR, the 2 more emotional JB movies i saw, and my number 1 and 2 in my ranking. If only this (growing romantic relationship between Bond and Swan)had been a bit more developed this movie would be superb. And i have a feeling that Thomas Newman would feel right at home there!
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    Whilst the soundtrack is a rehash in the main, I do love listening to the reference that Newman works into the pre credit sequence..as the film references past glories in general...listen carefully and the awful slidewhistle from TMWTGG barrel roll is reworked when the helicopter does the same in SP Haha lovely stuff ;-)
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada
    I have yet to listen to the score alone. I've only heard it in the film. I liked it enough, probably a little more than his work on SF, but certainly a proper standalone listen (or two) will provide me with a clearer idea on where I stand.
  • HASEROT wrote: »
    zerozero wrote: »
    when was the last time we had that?

i find myself humming Arnold's orchestrations of 'You Know My Name' from CR a lot... as well as his 'Night at the Opera' from QOS.... i can't do the same with Newman's work.

The YKMN riff is better than everything done post-Barry. Arnold isn't most people's favorite, but his scores from TND, CR & QoS were great IMO. I really would like to see him back with the franchise.

And I totally agree about the Bond theme. I'm fine with it being used in the background of some tracks, but I want just one scene in each movie where it comes in full blare. There are scenes in DN & FRWL that are fine on their own with Bond walking through an airport or into a hotel, but then the Bond theme kicks in and the whole thing just seems immediately better. The swagger that the Bond theme can bring to a film if used at the right moments can be astounding.
    bondboy007 wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    zerozero wrote: »
    when was the last time we had that?

i find myself humming Arnold's orchestrations of 'You Know My Name' from CR a lot... as well as his 'Night at the Opera' from QOS.... i can't do the same with Newman's work.

The YKMN riff is better than everything done post-Barry. Arnold isn't most people's favorite, but his scores from TND, CR & QoS were great IMO. I really would like to see him back with the franchise.

And I totally agree about the Bond theme. I'm fine with it being used in the background of some tracks, but I want just one scene in each movie where it comes in full blare. There are scenes in DN & FRWL that are fine on their own with Bond walking through an airport or into a hotel, but then the Bond theme kicks in and the whole thing just seems immediately better. The swagger that the Bond theme can bring to a film if used at the right moments can be astounding.

Agree about the full on Bond theme.
  • AntiLocqueBrakesAntiLocqueBrakes The edge
    I didn't think SP uses WOTW (and variations) enough. The music is appropriate…Bond might be on his last leg…its foreboding. The title theme is a great way to keep the story linked. The trick is to repeat the theme in different ways. TLD does a great job with this.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I didn't think SP uses WOTW (and variations) enough. The music is appropriate…Bond might be on his last leg…its foreboding. The title theme is a great way to keep the story linked. The trick is to repeat the theme in different ways. TLD does a great job with this.
    I agree. WOTW was used only once, and for 20 seconds only.
  • I did not liked the score when I listened the cd, and I made a bad review of it here, mentioning that is partly the same as skyfalls and worse than that, but now that i sw the film i have to admit that it goes well with the movie! Maybe i would like a better music for the action scenes but ok. The score is not that bad if you see the movie first, and then listen to the cd
    Is it me or does the soundtrack in SP appear to be a bit too loud, it seems to really put the other elements of the film in the background?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Walecs wrote: »
    I agree. WOTW was used only once, and for 20 seconds only.

Not that this matters, but there is a short WOTW motif right before the actual song starts in the film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    mepal1 wrote: »
    Is it me or does the soundtrack in SP appear to be a bit too loud, it seems to really put the other elements of the film in the background?

In the ending in London, yes, annoyingly so. Elsewhere, I didn't find it too loud.
  • eddychaputeddychaput Montreal, Canada

I second the thought. I miss the days when the Bond score featured various orchestrations of the main theme consistently throughout. Last time that happened was CR. Even before that in TND, TWINE and DAD (although that was a sh*t song, so that wouldn't have been challenging) it didn't happen a whole lot.
    Having listened to the Spectre soundtrack I have enjoyed it more, and it's strange, the 'this is just Skyfall' didn't occur as much during the film. I've only seen the film once, so maybe with repeated viewings the Skyfall musical cues will become less of a problem. I like the way those cues tie the two films together, but I didn't half find it distracting watching the film the first time. A film should draw you in, this took me out, I kept thinking, that sounds like the Skyfall soundtrack rather than being swept along by the music.