SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    No hard feelings @Gustav_Graves. No worries. We are all passionate Bond fans, and such passions can overflow at these emotional times....

I'm seeing it again tomorrow as mentioned, and I can't wait. I want to see if I've missed things (I'm sure I have) and I want to try and enjoy it as much as others apparently do here.
  • I predict a 180 million BO in North America and 830 million Worldwide.

Ufff, that would really be a 'blow'. Nah, luckily SP will do insane business in China.

If I REALLY have to think of a reason SP didn't connect so well with US audiences, then I think it's the sheer Britishness of the film. That's the only thing that didn't really do it for me: London. I got a bit tired of...London. It would have severely helped if SP was partially filmed in a big city in the US.

We understand that 'GG', but remember there was a lot more of London filming in SF.

Filming Bond in the past in the US hasn't been that much of a bonus for Bond, except perhaps for DAF.
    LALD was a huge hit worldwide, but only mediocre in the US.
    LTK felt like an American TV film special............but that didn't help either.

I guess we just have to accept that post mid-60's Bond has never been really big in North America, the films are still popular there, but not to the degree they are around the rest of the world.........and obviously the film makers know this.
    From tomorrow there is a big marketing push for SP in China.........and Babs, Cr-egg and Lea S, will be there to promote the film!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I predict a 180 million BO in North America and 830 million Worldwide.

Ufff, that would really be a 'blow'. Nah, luckily SP will do insane business in China.

Why would 830 million be a blow?? Remember that the second most successful BO Bond movie has grossed 599 million worldwide??

• edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    No hard feelings @Gustav_Graves. No worries. We are all passionate Bond fans, and such passions can overflow at these emotional times....

I'm seeing it again tomorrow as mentioned, and I can't wait. I want to see if I've missed things (I'm sure I have) and I want to try and enjoy it as much as others apparently do here.

Just focus on the sheer impact of my favourite sequences:
    --> The S.P.E.C.T.R.E. board meeting. I can't get enough of this bad-ass Bilderberg convention of psychopaths in which Hinx-the-man-with-the-steel-nails gets the best introduction. How he 'empties' the Spanish member's skull :-). Lovely. I was looking around yesterday, especially to the girls \m/. And then the scene got finalized with snapping his neck.
    --> The dentists torture sequence. Dentist visits will never be the same again. The sheer attention of detail is so wonderful. It's like a luxury, stylized version of the rope torture sequence in CR. And watch those tiny little droplets of blood on thise little drills :-). So sweet.
    --> The fight sequence in the train. Especially when the music kicks in and when Madeleine gets her dosis of hits from Hinx. It's like prt 2 of this fight sequence in which Madeline throws in her skills. It's so nice to hear both Bond and a Bond-girl moaning of pain.

They all have similar impact to for instance Silva's one-shot introduction and the psychotic William Tell game in "Skyfall".

I really love the fact that the team behind these two Bond films were able to recreate these sequences as if they were really from a Fleming novel, but in reality were never part of it and were completely re-imagined. Ian Fleming would have loved these sequences :-).

It's something that I always missed in the Brosnan-films. And I especially like the fact that these people were daring enough to throw overboard that silly family-rating. There needs to be a bit of gore to let people understand Bond isn't for pussies :-).

And trust me, this is stuff you won't find in other spy films.
    SP actual BO in North America for Opening Weekend = $70,403,148

blimey it went up a couple of hundred grand from the last figure i saw! :)
  • I predict a 180 million BO in North America and 830 million Worldwide.

I think 800+ million would be fair enough, but I wish you were right! In China we trust!! ... and in Japan and in Korea and in France and in Australia ...
    ;)
    Its possible to have a movie with 4,5 or 6 amazing sequences: some of the best in the history of cinema. But they are just that: sequences. Any movie has to be judged as one piece of work from beginning to end. And that's the job of the script
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 11,119
    patb wrote: »
    Its possible to have a movie with 4,5 or 6 amazing sequences: some of the best in the history of cinema. But they are just that: sequences. Any movie has to be judged as one piece of work from beginning to end. And that's the job of the script

And especially with that I think SP succeeded. Just like Goldfinger and Thunderball. Apart from the London sequences, and the sometimes forced "Mission: Impossible"-teamwork approach, I found the script of SP good.

Moreover, Bond films have always been about memorable key sequences. The funny thing is, those sequences in SP are not just "there". Unless the Brosnan-films, in SP they feel coherent, part of the narrative, and also to keep the narrative going. Similar actually how the humour worked so well in SP. Not because Craig was handed just a few bloated and dull one-liners, but merely because the humour worked because of the circumstances and Craig's "street-life" approach to them.

Brosnan would have fallen down on that sofa in the PTS with a "Look at me!"-face. Whereas with Craig you hear him thinking "For fuck sake!".

It's another aspect that gets forgotten here. This 4th outing of Daniel Craig. It's not easy to say this is his best Bond film. But we do know now that he's also a damn fine actor portraying a Bond who has his emotions in check as opposed to his previous three adventures.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    @Gustav_Graves absolutely no worries. I didn't think you were being harsh and I hope my response wasn't taken as such.

Like you, I am passionate about Bond and the performance and reviews are disheartening.

So many Bond films are a game of two halves though. With SP there's a bit of fun and traditionalism to be had before it gets serious in Morocco.

Some say MR is fine until they reach space but you could argue things take themselves more seriously there too. People like DAD until it reaches Iceland.

CR feels like a generic action film until we get to the arrival of Vesper and the Fleming material. LTK probably is quite characterless until the film gets to Isthmus City and from then on it's terrific.

It's nothing unique for Bond.
  • Cowley wrote: »

So many Bond films are a game of two halves though. With SP there's a bit of fun and traditionalism to be had before it gets serious in Morocco.

Some say MR is fine until they reach space but you could argue things take themselves more seriously there too. People like DAD until it reaches Iceland.

CR feels like a generic action film until we get to the arrival of Vesper and the Fleming material. LTK probably is quite characterless until the film gets to Isthmus City and from then on it's terrific.

It's nothing unique for Bond.

Very well said, Cowley.
    GE & QoS were the only Bond films of the last 20 yrs which I felt ran strong all the way to the end.
    Good article in Deadline about the nit picking and crazy BO accounting with SP. http://deadline.com/2015/11/spectre-profit-box-office-skyfall-james-bond-franchise-1201615942/

I'd say this is accurate. Great success!
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The_Reaper wrote: »

I'd say this is accurate. Great success!

It will depend on how it holds. For comparison, I'm including the following below:

Final gross compared to opening weekend multiplier (US)
    DAD : 3.4X
    CR : 4.0X
    QoS: 2.5X
    SF: 3.4X

So you can see that CR actually had the best 'holdover' compared to the opening weekend. I suspect the reviews will have an effect on SP holdover, as will the competition.

So the multiplier will probably come in between QoS and SF.

Examples:
    $70M opening weekend X 3 = $210M
    $70M opening weekend X 2.5 = $175M

So I'd say $180M or thereabouts would be accurate, but I'd personally like it to beat MI-RN ($195M) which means it will need at least about a 2.8X multiplier.

I agree on the global gross. Should come in between $800M and $850M (hopefully) based on what I'm seeing.
    They went to Bejing to premier it in China. Well done, I didnt see it in their schedule, but making as much noise as possible to get a great start there and in Asia overall. I think last time they went to China was for CR.
  • North America 180 million
    UK 135 million
    Europe (excluding UK and CIS) 210 million
    China 100
    Australia, NZ and Asia (without China and Middle East) 110 million
    Latin America, CIS, Africa, Middle East and others 95 million

Worldwide: 830 million
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Just for perspective, no one I know has been hugely impressed with spectre. Literally everyone says "it's alright". Shy fall had way better word of mouth within my circles.

same here. I get the feeling that it's about emotional resonance. People were entertained, but not touched. The movie didn't stick with them much after the fact.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited November 2015 Posts: 630
    A little article on the broken world record, a big part of the budget, could be spoiler for someone
    http://www.jborbisnonsufficit.com/2015/11/10/spectre-breaks-guinness-world-record/
    It will do 1.8 billion
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Stamper wrote: »
    It will do 1.8 billion

It's had a weaker opening than SF's in some markets and received lesser-loved reviews than SF, and yet you expect it to make $600 million more?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,310
    Across the world, the sky is the limit. Spectre will do ridiculous business. Hell, it already is!

The $70m North American opening weekend is disappointing, though. (Only $3m more than the eight year old QOS...ticket prices have gone up since then and like some of you have mentioned, that might put it at less ticket sales than QOS.) I don't think anyone was expecting it to match the perfect storm that led up to Skyfall, but having it open $20m less is disconcerting.

Spectre will turn a hefty profit regardless and be a very successful film, there is no doubt about it. But if the final North American tally ends up at $200m, that will be a full $100m less than Skyfall. International grosses aside, that is cause for concern, if only slight.
    Are there no Monday box office returns listed anywhere yet? Can't find anything, figured we'd know by now how much it made yesterday.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Stamper wrote: »
    It will do 1.8 billion

I'll have some of what ever it is you're on.
    SJK91 wrote: »
    Across the world, the sky is the limit. Spectre will do ridiculous business. Hell, it already is!

The $70m North American opening weekend is disappointing, though. (Only $3m more than the eight year old QOS...ticket prices have gone up since then and like some of you have mentioned, that might put it at less ticket sales than QOS.) I don't think anyone was expecting it to match the perfect storm that led up to Skyfall, but having it open $20m less is disconcerting.

Spectre will turn a hefty profit regardless and be a very successful film, there is no doubt about it. But if the final North American tally ends up at $200m, that will be a full $100m less than Skyfall. International grosses aside, that is cause for concern, if only slight.

True.........US opening was dissappointing, but i think we should wait to see the 2nd weekends BO for Spectre, before performing a post-mortem.
    Whilst, on its opening weekend, there was another big film opening too, next weekend SP will face no serious new competition, and unlike SF, which was hurt on its 2nd weekend by the 'Twilight' film..........so SP should hold up well this coming weekend, if it doesn't then that is not very good is it?
    Yes............the film makers will want to extract as much money from the North American market, as that is the most profitable market for returns to the studio..ie around 50%.
    Studio only gets back 40% from Int' markets, except China, where they only give back 25% of a films takings to the studio!

Hopefully the film can soak up as much profit as possible before 'The Force Awakens' is out, as there won't be anyone seeing SP then aside from those who may have missed it the following month and those of us who are die-hard fans.
    SP had decent BO Monday of $5,316,879........which is what i sort of expected, The Peanuts Movie had a massive drop off, but weekdays are not good for kiddie flicks.
    SF on its equivalent Monday did over $11 mil, but that was a holiday.
    There is a holiday on Wednesday in the US (Veterans Day).......which will give SP a good midweek boost!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Hopefully the film can soak up as much profit as possible before 'The Force Awakens' is out, as there won't be anyone seeing SP then aside from those who may have missed it the following month and those of us who are die-hard fans.

Yep.........before Xmas, the Star Wars kids will be flocking to the cinemas in droves!
    No other film will be getting much attention then!