Why was spectre marketed so differently to the final product?

in SPECTRE Posts: 1,314
Just thinking back to those trailers.

The first teaser was awesome. Eerie, spooky and had a very serious tone. It built expectation that the film was going to take a certain path. The music had a real sinister tone. Threatening and dark.

So given that the film is acknowledged as a step back (or forward depending on your opinion) to the formula, why do you think the decision was made to market the film as something it clearly isn't.

Could building those types of expectations then not delivering be behind some of the disappointment?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm afraid I don't understand, @Matt007. I'd argue the film is pretty dark. It didn't feel like some sort of antithesis to the trailer.
    I agree, I didn't find any antithesis to the trailer, but I acknowledge that SP's humourous side maybe wasn't represented in the trailers.
    Once it leaves Rome things get more serious and by
    the mental and physical torture Blofeld respectively subjects Madeline and Bond to it all gets a little darker.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Matt007 wrote:
    Just thinking back to those trailers.

The first teaser was awesome. Eerie, spooky and had a very serious tone. It built expectation that the film was going to take a certain path. The music had a real sinister tone. Threatening and dark.

So given that the film is acknowledged as a step back (or forward depending on your opinion) to the formula, why do you think the decision was made to market the film as something it clearly isn't.

Could building those types of expectations then not delivering be behind some of the disappointment?

I fully agree. The initial trailer was gloomy and forboding, leading us to interpret that SP would be Skyfall Part II
    Not saying it's moonraker 2 or anything but i think the tone is much lighter than the previous 3 films. In parts it's serious yes, the Mr White encounter for example, but the music in the teaser - the music box bond theme, the a tonal crescendo at the end and the general tone is much spookier than the tone of the film.

They didn't include any of the lighter material in any trailer really. It created an expectation of a darker, more serious, film than we got. One that certainly didn't feel like we were going back to Roger Moore territory.

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Seriously, Spectre is Daniel Craig's GoldenEye, OHMSS and FRWL at the same time!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'd even throw in LTK, @BondJamesBond006. :-)
    I find SP to be far darker than any Bond film to date, in spite of the humour. Sometimes even because of it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    The gothic Spectre meeting at the plaza alone was dark enough. Something we have never seen in a Bond film before.
    I think it was marketed well, and considering the whole hack thing, i think they had to tread a fine line.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    Truth be told I had put myself on a Bond-blackout leading up to it. I did see the trailers of course, but honestly I didn't feel they gave me much of anything to go on anyway.
    The one bit of marketing which does now strike me as odd is all the hype for Bellucci....who in the end is on screen for what.....like 3-5 minutes?!?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree. It was marketed incorrectly. First trailer suggested a moody, dark thriller. What we got was anything but.
    I think "anything but" is an exaggeration, my friend. Spectre definitely wasn't a light comedy, was it?
    sunsanvil wrote: »
    Truth be told I had put myself on a Bond-blackout leading up to it. I did see the trailers of course, but honestly I didn't feel they gave me much of anything to go on anyway.
    The one bit of marketing which does now strike me as odd is all the hype for Bellucci....who in the end is on screen for what.....like 3-5 minutes?!?

On Bellucci
    I'm glad I knew she was only in it for 7 minutes. When I saw Skyfall I expected Berenice Marlohe to be a main Bond girl and have a greater screen time, and it was kind of like, Silva, shot her, he did shoot her right, she's dead? she can't be dead she's got high billing, oh she is dead - okay ...
    The car chase is a great example, in the trailer we saw it with that great score that took from OHMSS, it looked just fantastic and really got me excited . Come the actual movie, the music had gone, replaced by something much weaker IMHO and we cut to MP searching in her fridge! All very strange
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    patb wrote: »
    The car chase is a great example, in the trailer we saw it with that great score that took from OHMSS, it looked just fantastic and really got me excited . Come the actual movie, the music had gone, replaced by something much weaker IMHO and we cut to MP searching in her fridge! All very strange

Absobloodyexactly!
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I think "anything but" is an exaggeration, my friend. Spectre definitely wasn't a light comedy, was it?

But it certainly didn't deliver what that first trailer promised, at least not for me. I knew this would be the case from the 2nd trailer though. From then on they were more honest with the marketing, and I could tell from that 2nd trailer onwards that the dialogue was going to be a little naff in this one, from my perspective. The film confirmed that, again imho. It's funny how trailers sometimes can really tip you off to the film.

SF's absolutely awe inspiring teaser trailer was perfect relative to what we got in the final product.
    bondjames wrote: »

But it certainly didn't deliver what that first trailer promised, at least for me. I knew this would be the case from the 2nd trailer though. From then on they were more honest with the marketing, and I could tell from that 2nd trailer onwards that the dialogue was going to be a little naff in this one, from my perspective. The film confirmed that, again imho. It's funny how trailers sometimes can really tip you off to the film.

SF's absolutely awe inspiring teaser trailer was perfect relative to what we got in the final product.
    That is true. If you ask me, the relationship between Bond and Madeleine took a large segment away from what was promised in the first trailer. The film should have focused on the dark patterns of Spectre, instead and delve more into it and what secrets do they hold as their real-world counterpart, that I'm not going to name, does. Overall, while I did love the film, Spectre was cut too short, because a story like that would have been more relevant in four and half hours instead of two and half. It all happened too fast.
    Now we have seen the actual film, when you go back and watch the trailer with the OHMSS music, its as though they are different films. In the trailer, its dark, menacing, tense etc and I remember when this trailer was released many many fans got very excited as it did really look stunning. If only they had kept that tome for the actual movie, but many seem to prefer the lighter tone and humour. One can only speculate what the income and reception would have been if they had have gone for a much darker, tense movie.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883

But it certainly didn't deliver what that first trailer promised, at least for me. I knew this would be the case from the 2nd trailer though. From then on they were more honest with the marketing, and I could tell from that 2nd trailer onwards that the dialogue was going to be a little naff in this one, from my perspective. The film confirmed that, again imho. It's funny how trailers sometimes can really tip you off to the film.

That is true. If you ask me, the relationship between Bond and Madeleine took a large segment away from what was promised in the first trailer. The film should have focused on the dark patterns of Spectre, instead and delve more into it and what secrets do they hold as their real-world counterpart, that I'm not going to name, does. Overall, while I did love the film, Spectre was cut too short, because a story like that would have been more relevant in four and half hours instead of two and half. It all happened too fast.

I agree. There were rumours that this was supposed to be a two-parter. That's how it should have remained.

Whoever screwed that up deserves to be sacked/not brought back because it messed up what could have been a far superior experience (one could tell that they were compressing here and there and messing about with a vision that was a bit different originally).

Having said that, it may in fact remain a two parter after all......

I agree. There were rumours that this was supposed to be a two-parter. That's how it should have remained.

Whoever screwed that up deserves to be sacked/not brought back because it messed up what could have been a far superior experience (one could tell that they were compressing here and there and messing about with a vision that was a bit different originally).

Probably Sam Mendes?

Probably Sam Mendes?

Yes, I think it was Mendes who messed that part up. Pity. A two-parter properly conceptualized would have been a great way for DC to end it.

They may end up doing this anyway, but since they made SP without thinking ahead to B25 (I think) it may end up feeling disjointed again.
    Now we have seen the actual film, when you go back and watch the trailer with the OHMSS music, its as though they are different films. In the trailer, its dark, menacing, tense etc and I remember when this trailer was released many many fans got very excited as it did really look stunning. If only they had kept that tome for the actual movie, but many seem to prefer the lighter tone and humour. One can only speculate what the income and reception would have been if they had have gone for a much darker, tense movie.

I remember watching the trailer in the cinema with an audience, the line about taking overdue holiday did get quite a laugh.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    tigers99 wrote: »

I remember watching the trailer in the cinema with an audience, the line about taking overdue holiday did get quite a laugh.

I am glad that line is played a lot more straight in the film, as cool as it is in the trailer.
    Mallory wrote: »
    tigers99 wrote: »

I am glad that line is played a lot more straight in the film, as cool as it is in the trailer.

I agree completely. I agree that teaser trailer was quite dark and intense, but it was a teaser trailer - and it did tease. But I don't think it's true to say that across the trailers there was no evidence of the humour of the film - as testified by the laughter the audience had with that trailer.

Probably Sam Mendes?

Yes, I think it was Mendes who messed that part up. Pity. A two-parter properly conceptualized would have been a great way for DC to end it.

They may end up doing this anyway, but since they made SP without thinking ahead to B25 (I think) it may end up feeling disjointed again.
    I do agree with that. While some do claim there is a concept for B-25, I doubt they have outlined it, since the whole Spectre issue being shortened from a two-parter to a standalone film, I don't know what is there to be done. They'll probably start the way OHMSS ended and do a follow-up to the path of the You Only Live Twice novel. Revenge mission, again.
    I think it was marketed well, and considering the whole hack thing, i think they had to tread a fine line.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

I agree.

I think it was well marketed too. But the things in the trailers that got me excited were largely absent from the film.

Ohmss music being one.
    the teaser trailer was very very misleading.