Thoughts on mediocre Spectre reviews

Any thoughts on these? Any merit to them? I'm seeing the film in the US tomorrow night.

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    No merit, no - mostly killjoys.
    Don't worry, SP is a proper Bond movie, just go with it.
  • Too many reviews mention the SONY HACK, screenplay issues, the $300m budget. Craig's comments about "wanting to slit his wrists" than make another Bond film being taken totally out of context. For some reviewers they can't look past that and therefore have made up their minds that the film will get a negative review. While there may be a lot of positive elements in the film and the films technical aspects are first class they can't see that. They just see the negative. One US critic said it was the "worst Bond in 30 years!" Worse than DAD ! I haven't seen SP yet but I find this very hard to believe. Go and see the film tomorrow. Make up your own mind. I can't wait to see it next week.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,068
    Apparently it's too Bond. Now that Bond has stopped chewing his finger nails and is going out on dates with the same girl the world thinks we've had a relapse. There'll be gorilla suits, clown make up and crocked raised eye brows everywhere before we know it
  • God how I hate people labelling others as killjoys just because they point out flaws with the film.

If you're a filmgoer who leaves his brain at the entrance to the cinema, you will likely join in the slavish praise which abounds here.

If not, you will still enjoy it don't worry. Just you will be annoyed by some things.

So probably best to switch off your brain, sit back, and enjoy!
  • He said that some critics are killjoys because their criticisms don't have merit. On top of all of the negative press which seems to have impacted reviews critics seem to want originality and depth, two things which I did not want in this movie haha. Plus Roger Moore just called it the best in the entire series, as did several members on this forum, so enjoy yourself.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    I think the more successful a film is the more people feel compelled to complain about it.

Case in point: Jurassic World is a fun movie. Is it as good as the original? No - because the original is one of the Best Movies Ever Made. Did Jurassic World entertain me? Yes! Was it better than JP2 and JP3? A thousand times yes!

But people continue to whinge like they're somehow personally affronted by it. Like they're somehow forgetting that it couldn't be everything they want it to be.

There were several aspects of SP that I would have liked to have been done differently, but at the end of the day the same could be said of every other Bond movie. In many ways that's why I love the series: it's one of the few in existence which has clearly defined ingredients so it's a pleasure to rate which ingredients worked or didn't. None of the Bond films get 10/10 marks across the board for their pre-title sequence, the girls, the action etc.

But the reviews are so positive, and the film has made so much money, that it must really get up the nose of those who feel let down and consequentially makes them complain all the more. I welcome a difference of opinion, but all too often it feels like these people want to rain on the parade of those who enjoyed it. (I'm guilty of this myself, as I HATE 'Minions' stuff but the whole world seems to have bought into the Dreamworks marketing machine).

To those people who didn't like SP, just remember that we're blessed with 23 other Bond movies of varying quality and just because this film isn't your cup of Earl Grey it doesn't mean the next one won't be.

I think there's a Bond for every season and a movie for every mood - sometimes (like last night, after a really stressful day at the office) I just want to sit back and watch A View to a Kill. It's one of my least favourite of the series but I can enjoy it when I don't want to think too much and just want to see some fun stunt work and bad puns (but the John Barry score and Duran Duran's title music are still 10/10!)

To the OP @joshdeese93 I say: pay the negative/mediocre reviews no heed, as you can't please everyone. I myself really enjoyed it, and I hope that you do too!

I wish I was in your shoes - about to see a new Bond movie for the first time! :-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Uh folks, we have dozens of SPECTRE related threads already. We're seriously not going to play this game. We have a review thread. No, we have a couple of review threads. This one is the first of several that will be closed for the sake of keeping things clean and easy to go through.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    God how I hate people labelling others as killjoys just because they point out flaws with the film.

If you're a filmgoer who leaves his brain at the entrance to the cinema, you will likely join in the slavish praise which abounds here.

If not, you will still enjoy it don't worry. Just you will be annoyed by some things.

So probably best to switch off your brain, sit back, and enjoy!

Some reviews went over the top with negativity, those are the killjoys. No harm in pointing out the movie's flaws in the writing department, but failing to acknowledge that it is a fun ride just seems churlish.
    The right to be critical does not equal the right to be a sourpuss about it.
This discussion has been closed.