Best Bond & M Instances

2»

Comments

• SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    edited November 2015 Posts: 630
  • There are too many brilliant M and Bond moments for me to list but one that does spring to mind is from DAF. M's comment after Bonds lackluster expertise when it comes to diamonds.

"Refreshing to hear that there is one subject you're not an expert on"

I thought that was a funny little wink to the previous Bond movies and subsequent movies in general where he practically knew everything there was to know about a particular subject he was being asked.
  • DariusDarius UK
    I liked the "Farewell to arms" encounter in LTK, not only because I like Ernest Hemmingway (any person that fond of cats can't be that bad!), but because it's the first time 007 openly opposes M's wishes and goes renegade.

The trouble is, it's happened too often since then to the point where it's become almost a cliché. Sometimes I feel a little nostalgic for Fleming's Bond who had no problem with authority and followed orders.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Well, that's not entirely true. In "The Living Daylights" short story, Bond deliberately shoots the girl's rifle, and I believe the story ends with Bond hoping M will fire him for it.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Well, that's not entirely true. In "The Living Daylights" short story, Bond deliberately shoots the girl's rifle, and I believe the story ends with Bond hoping M will fire him for it.

You are correct, but this is the only instance of insubordination in Fleming. The point I'm making is that Bond has gone against orders and has become a loose cannon a few too many times in the movies now.

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    That's mostly due to Craig, but I still like him as Bond. And his Bond still has wonderful interactions with M.