SPECTRE: Official Critics Review Topic (accumulative topic, NO SPOILERS, just links)

Comments

• mepal1 wrote: »
    I don't think these people like us judging by the comment i saw at DCinB!

"To Mepal 1 and RC7 from MI6, keep lurking here more often, you moronic EON parasites. Maybe you will learn something constructive here. You accept ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING that EVERYTHING OR NOTHING shovels down your collective throats :! ECHHHHHHHHHHHHH-TRE is in fact the correct title to this humiliating product Broccoli totally approved of :!: Cr-egg is a disgrace to the role and should be replaced at once :!: BRO-feld is Bond's step brother from childhood? Any you accept this premise as a Bond fan? Close up your forum, go back to kissing Broccoli's rear end, and maybe some day you will all wake up and realize that this was all a nightmare to be forgotten".

They bring the talking via anuses to new heights =))
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 6,396

=)) =)) =))

Whoever wrote that has no sense of irony.
    Guys, GUYS! Remember this is a SPOILER free thread! No spoilers, even if only quoted from a cretin, are welcome here! I expect a mod to interfere!

Who cares about DCinB anyway? And are they really worth potentially spoiling the film for our many american members who have yet to see it?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited November 2015 Posts: 8,025
    That sounds like bj. Used to be a member of the olde KTBEU way back and left after Luds locked his thread after it went nowhere. Now the thread lingers on in DCINB.

Don't mind him.
  • Chris Stuckmann gives Spectre a B+

That sounds like bj. Used to be a member of the olde KTBEU way back and left after Luds locked his thread after it went nowhere. Now the thread lingers on in DCINB.

Don't mind him.

It is him.............and i apologize to members here for posting his comments!
  • How's that highly successful boycott working out, btw? :))
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    rottentomatoes.com/franchise/james-bond-007/?search=spec

Just found this on RT. A chart of all James Bond movies.
    I can't believe there are 16 Bond movies that are rated higher than Spectre, with QOS having the same rating. And it could get worse if it only falls another 2-3 %.

:( Why? Anyone who has seen Spectre knows this is totally undeserved. It's almost grotesque.
  • rottentomatoes.com/franchise/james-bond-007/?search=spec

Just found this on RT. A chart of all James Bond movies.
    I can't believe there are 16 Bond movies that are rated higher than Spectre, with QOS having the same rating. And it could get worse if it only falls another 2-3 %.

:( Why? Anyone who has seen Spectre knows this is totally undeserved. It's almost grotesque.

Let's hug each other cutypie. Hold each other's hands. And enjoy the film on our own terms dear Mr Switzerland :-P.
    I liked SP.........not sure i want to hug you people though! :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I agree even though I haven't seen the film that the rating is very undeserved.

Oh and group hug
    >:D<
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    I can´t help feeling some disappointment with such a mixed reception in USA. Anyway I think the tomatometer is not fair with the marks SP is receiving.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,098
    I can´t help feeling some disappointment with such a mixed reception in USA. Anyway think the tomatometer is not fair with the marks SP is receiving.

Exactly.......its 1% lower than QOS.........something very strange is going on!

• edited November 2015 Posts: 389
    The problem is that SP is going to be lucky if it keeps a 60% fresh.
    The CraigNotBond garbage is the one thing about Broz that I have disliked. He could have stopped it or greatly diminished it with a couple of well chosen tough statements. But he never said a word about it. He never had to put up with a hate campaign run by disappointed Dalton fans. And that is what the CraigNotBond idiots have been running, a hate campaign directed at Craig. Craig was not the reason Broz was not re-contracted for Bond. Had Craig not been hired, it would have been Cahill or whoever the hell EON picked. But Broz never said anything to try to stop the endless attacks. He should have. It would have been the classy thing to do.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Brosnan was bitter at the time as I recall. He's gotten over it now, but there were ill feelings back then towards EON etc. due to the way he felt he was treated. Mouthing off in the press etc.
    smitty wrote: »
    The CraigNotBond garbage is the one thing about Broz that I have disliked. He could have stopped it or greatly diminished it with a couple of well chosen tough statements. But he never said a word about it. He never had to put up with a hate campaign run by disappointed Dalton fans. And that is what the CraigNotBond idiots have been running, a hate campaign directed at Craig. Craig was not the reason Broz was not re-contracted for Bond. Had Craig not been hired, it would have been Cahill or whoever the hell EON picked. But Broz never said anything to try to stop the endless attacks. He should have. It would have been the classy thing to do.

Now you're being ridiculous, what the hell has Brosnan to do with that garbage site?? If anything it should be ignored.
  • RC7RC7

Now you're being ridiculous, what the hell has Brosnan to do with that garbage site?? If anything it should be ignored.

It has nothing to do with Brosnan. Nothing.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 1,021
    I haven't seen SPECTRE so I can't comment. But I am slightly baffled by its RT score at the moment. After starting off so well it seems to be dropping. Its now lower than QOS! Is there some kind of bad reaction from the US critics based on production costs, the sony hack, re-writes , DC's recent comments that may be affecting their judgement of the film. And whats so wrong with the Bond formula? Anyway. Only 1 more week until I get to see it.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 725
    Yes it does. These were all 100% Brosnan fans who hated Craig because he replaced Brosnan. They were way out of line. Brosnan could have said something. Had it been Moore or Craig in Brosnan's place, I think they would have said something to try to stop, or at least diminish the attacks. These were all crazed, angry Brosnan fans and the attacks were often dishonest and nuts.
  • Interestingly if you click on the Top Critics section of RT, they have it graded as 75% (9 positive, 3 negative), and its the lesser, obscure types who are coming in with negatives, people like, er, the "Flick Filosopher" (ahem), and a critic from COMPUSERVE? I nearly spat out my drink when I saw that Compuserve (a) even still exists and (b) does film reviews. And I wasn't even drinking!
    In many of the reviews Craig's unfortunate comments are quoted or mentioned in less harsh words.
    It looks like this did indeed have an impact on the critics and who knows the audience too @nobodydoesitbetter
    Because there is no other explanation that would make sense for those bad reviews.
  • dinovelvet wrote: »
    Interestingly if you click on the Top Critics section of RT, they have it graded as 75% (9 positive, 3 negative), and its the lesser, obscure types who are coming in with negatives, people like, er, the "Flick Filosopher" (ahem), and a critic from COMPUSERVE? I nearly spat out my drink when I saw that Compuserve (a) even still exists and (b) does film reviews. And I wasn't even drinking!

Agree. There are a lot of negative reviews from lesser known critics. The lower rating than QOS (and I like QOS) at this point though is bizarre considering how much QOS is not liked. If the tomatoemeter drops any further it will end up being Craig's worst reviewed Bond film (according to RT)

edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    His comments definitely left a bad taste with me, and I'm a fan, so I'm sure it had some impact on others.

I realized it was out of context and was a quote from ages ago because I am a part of this forum and like to find the truth in media misrepresentation......but a casual viewer and a fairweather fan professional reviewer might not know this, even now.

That would indeed leave a different impression, and not a good one, which could have impacted their viewing experience.
  • RC7RC7
    Yes it does. These were all 100% Brosnan fans who hated Craig because he replaced Brosnan. They were way out of line. Brosnan could have said something. Had it been Moore or Craig in Brosnan's place, I think they would have said something to try to stop, or at least diminish the attacks. These were all crazed, angry Brosnan fans and the attacks were often dishonest and nuts.

This is bullshit.
    Yes it does. These were all 100% Brosnan fans who hated Craig because he replaced Brosnan. They were way out of line. Brosnan could have said something. Had it been Moore or Craig in Brosnan's place, I think they would have said something to try to stop, or at least diminish the attacks. These were all crazed, angry Brosnan fans and the attacks, were nuts.

Actually.........'Smitty' is right here, upto a certain point.
    One of the key founders of the original DCinB site, which was called CnB was a woman, called Deanna Brayton (if i remember correctly), she was a total Brosnan fan freak, and couldn't handle the fact, when Brosnan lost the role of Bond.
    She took out her dissapointment by hating Craig when he got the role.
    Her hatred was so intense, she wrote a front page letter at CnB, basically calling all Craig supporters homosexuals.
    She at one point was interviewed on an American radio station, where she admitted she actually wasn't a Bond fan at all, but just a Brosnan fan........this led to her being ridiculed by the interviewer, on the radio.
    She didn't stay long at the CnB site, saying the backlash from James Bond fans had caused her health problems. Anyway shortly afterward, the site was renamed DCinB, and they became a calmer bunch of people!

dinovelvet wrote: »
    Interestingly if you click on the Top Critics section of RT, they have it graded as 75% (9 positive, 3 negative), and its the lesser, obscure types who are coming in with negatives, people like, er, the "Flick Filosopher" (ahem), and a critic from COMPUSERVE? I nearly spat out my drink when I saw that Compuserve (a) even still exists and (b) does film reviews. And I wasn't even drinking!

Yes, but if you look at the Top Critics of QOS, the rating is 40%!! and even DAD gets a higher rating from the TopCritics, so I wouldn't take that too seriously.
    Who decides who is a top critic?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Brosnan was under no obligation to say anything at all.

However, he could have if he wanted. If EON had asked him to, then he should have. As I mentioned the relationship was strained at that time. He was probably figuring out his life post-Bond (the steady paycheque was long gone) so I don't blame him for not speaking up on his own accord. It was probably the last thing he was concerned about.......did anyone ask him about it? I don't think so.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Ah, Deeana Brayton. I remember some rant about her cats.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 709
    dinovelvet wrote: »

Yes, but if you look at the Top Critics of QOS, the rating is 40%!! and even DAD gets a higher rating from the TopCritics, so I wouldn't take that too seriously.
    Who decides who is a top critic?

You are right QOS regular rating is 65, with Top critics giving it 40, but check DAD again it has a 57% rating, with top critics giving 42. This shows that Top critics are more critical of Bond films that have problems. (I like QOS and DAD in some ways but both films have problems). And now these critics are saying Spectre is better than the lowbrow critics. They make interesting reading. A lot of them are open to embracing the fun aspects of Spectre, with the lowbrow critics angry that they didn't get Skyfall 2. How strange that the "snooty" critics enjoy it more!

Anyway :

"Top Critic is a title awarded to the most significant contributors of cinematic and critical discourse. To be considered for Top Critics designation, a critic must be published at a print publication in the top 10% of circulation, employed as a film critic at a national broadcast outlet for no less than five years, or employed as a film critic for an editorial-based website with over 1.5 million monthly unique visitors for a minimum of three years. A Top Critic may also be recognized as such based on their influence, reach, reputation, and/or quality of writing, as determined by Rotten Tomatoes staff."

I'm also kind of wondering why there is no section for international critics. Box office in general, and especially Bond, is more global than ever, yet all those positive reviews from Europe that Gustav has posted will not even get onto that site. But the "Flick Filosopher" will!