Sean Connery is the worst Bond

HERESY!

Sean Connery is in my opinion the worst Bond - here's why (IN MY OPINION):

He's not the most witty/suave/sophisticated (Roger Moore is)
He's not the most human/vulnerable/intelligent/book accurate/confident (George Lazenby is)
He's not the most cold/menacing/enigmatic (Timothy Dalton is)
He's not the most sexy/most experienced/most pathos fueled (Pierce Brosnan is)
He's not the most butch/ dramatic (Daniel Craig is)

The only thing I think Connery uniquely excels in is being cool. And that's not a Bond thing I think that's just a Connery thing in general, as I see the same coolness in so many of his other roles. I can't help but see him as a substance-less caricature. I seem to be alone in this view though - what am I missing? Are people just attached to him as he was the original? Tell me what I'm missing. Don't get me wrong I don't think him or his films are bad in any way, I just think he's the most pablum. I don't think he's the best at the action,romance, drama, suspense or even comedy.

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    giphy.gif
  • Tell me why I'm wrong then mate. I'm waiting for my road to Damascus moment
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well I for one don't like him because he was first. Brosnan is my favorite but Connery just has that right amount of masculinity and finesse.
  • Brosnan is my second fave, but objectively I think he's the best Bond by far. What do people think Connery has over Brosnan though? This is what I don't get.
  • I don't think Sean's bad at anything he does in the role. My problem is that the other actors not only do what he does (the masculinity and finesse) just as well, but bring other things to the role too.
    Excuse me......if it wasn't for Sean Connery......we wouldn't have Bond today!
    Connery was Bond, and him together with the director Terance Young created the cinematic Bond character.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Brosnan is my second fave, but objectively I think he's the best Bond by far. What do people think Connery has over Brosnan though? This is what I don't get.

This may be where the problem lies imho. You think Brosnan is the best, objectively, by far? Really? Objectively?

Here's my take (and it's just my opinion - there's no objectivity here):
    Connery is the best not because he was the first (although he was).... He's not the best because he was cool (although he was the coolest imho).

He's the best because nobody did it so effortlessly (including Craig, at least up to SP which I've yet to watch). Connery embodied what he portrayed. He didn't look like he was trying. It felt real.

Of all the actors, he was the most believable ladies man imho. The one who you felt could make them swoon. He was also the most believable killer (so is Craig however).

I found early Connery (in particular Terence Young's Connery) to be witty, suave, sophisticated, cold, menacing, enigmatic, confident, sexy, experienced, butch etc. etc. He is the only actor who captured nearly all your attributes above. All the others split these attributes and brought some of them to the table, but no one captured it all like early Terence Young Connery.

The only attribute that he perhaps did not project was vulnerability, but that was most likely by conscious design. Neither did Moore. Heroes were not asked to do this in those days. Lazenby was different because they stayed true to the book.

I think one only needs to look at the 'Bond, James Bond' introductions of all the actors to determine who is #1. Most would agree that Connery's DN intro is the gold standard. Not strained. Not affected. Just real. To this day it hasn't been equaled (yes, I'm including Craig's cool but still inferior & overstylized intro at the end of CR). He's also the only Bond actor with an Oscar on his trophy wall.
    Sean Connery is the worst Bond...for me that is.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    No accounting for taste...

Connery has everything you listed above. To me, Dalton is easily the worst. Lazenby next and both because of acting.

My next guess is the author of this thread simply posted it to see his name.

• ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Troll. Go back under that rock you came out from or back in your parents' basement.
    Lol I'm not any type of troll ... f'off.
    Yeah, you are. And if you can't say that word, don't use it
    edited November 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Forum rules ..

You're not worth the trouble ...enjoy your thread.
    I will. Have a nice day
    Thank you. You as well.
    DT, feel better now? Got the response you were looking for? BTW, which Bond actors have won an Oscar?
    Connery is hardly the worst Bond, he's definitive in Dr No/FRWL, cool in GF/TB and such darn fun in DAF.

That said I've never once ranked him as my favourite. As a youngster when it was Connery or Moore I favoured the latter. Then when I became a fully fledged fan, reading the books and collecting the films Dalton arrived on the scene and won instant favour. At times I've also really rated Lazenby as you can easily picture him when reading the novels.

Craig is a fine Bond too but my current 2nd place due to nostalgia for Tim's era.

So yes Connery is a great Bond but often played the bridesmaid in my own rankings!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    when will people stop thinking it's a good idea to make their first post on a site something highly inflammatory?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Brosnan is my second fave, but objectively I think he's the best Bond by far.

I object. That is too far.
  • JNOJNO Finland
    1. Connery
    2. Craig
    3. Moore
    4. Dalton
    5. Lazenby
    6. Brosnan

Well, that was easy.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    This is the problem with your analysis. You say he's not the best at most things, but the same goes for pretty much every other Bond. Lazenby could hardly act in scenes outside of the final, Moore was just too old to have any credibility in his later films, and his fight scenes were pitiful (and he used stuntmen for running and climbing stairs, etc). Dalton had nowhere near Connery's charisma/wasn't capable of pulling off the one-liners very well, Brosnan wasn't nearly as defining in the role, and Craig lacked the classic humour and variety in his films.

They all have their merits, and all have their weaknesses. Most people just reckon Connery has the most of the former and the least of the latter.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Just rank the actors. We have dozens of threads where you can post your opinion of Sean Connery.
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/143/rank-the-actors#latest
This discussion has been closed.