Is this a subtly different but better ending? (spoilers!!)

edited October 2015 in SPECTRE Posts: 1,314
Rather than have South Africa vote against nine eyes make it Britain and South Africa

When bond is caught in Morocco, they all watch as blofeld detonate a bomb onscreen in South Africa. This positions spectre as more than voyeurs.

He then says "just the UK to go" as South Africa will undoubtedly agree to nine eyes now. UK agreeing is key to its launch.

He tells bond a major terrorist event is planned in London in a days time. Maybe blowing up the London eye or other landmark. The UK will then sign up to it making it unanimous.

Bond escapes as per the film destroying the base.

On his return to London he tells m of spectres planned attack.

Things pan out as per the film. Swapping mi6 for the terrorist target with Madeleine kidnapped and placed in the terrorist attack location. (This gives greater weight to the ending. Bond has to save the girl, prevent an attack, prevent nine eyes going through, and bring down Blofeld).

Bond is taken there and meets blofeld. foils the attack, saves Madeleine and brings down the helicopter as per the film. The attack never happens so nine eyes doesn't go live. Q isn't therefore responsible for stopping the system. Foiling things by tapping keyboards is a lame idea imo.

Bond brings down the helicopter somehow, Ending on Westminster bridge as per the film.

Mi6 is supposed to be symbolic but it's rigged for demolition anyway. Destroying an empty building isn't as evil as killing thousand of innocent people.

Having the UK on the brink of signing right up to the end is a more dramatic scenario because for me, 9 eyes is like the drive in Skyfall. It still exists even though the perpetrator is dead. Presumably the CNS boffins will just overide Qs hack and put it up tomorrow?

Also blowing up a real building that exists takes the films into small world territory.

Thoughts?

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Really struggling to argue with much of that.

Although personally I didn't like Blofeld surviving being blown up again and the climax on the bridge.

Either he should escape or better not even be in London at all and the finale is Bond fighting C. Then right before the end credits we just have a shot of a mysterious man in a wheelchair, the camera pans up and we see some of construction going on in the crater of a volcano. Then the cat walks across frame and snarls at the lense a la the end of the DAF PTS. The end.
    Ooh nice. Has anyone got Barbara's number?
    Bit late now. But yes, that sounds... better. The limpness of the Nine Eyes thing is one of the biggest problems in the film.
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 322
    There are two problems.

First, in the film the UK is a leading nation in Nine Eyes, under the direction of C. If the UK is to be reluctant to join, the C becomes redundant, which changes the whole plot - the idea of enemies within.

The second problem is that in real life, the UK is already a member of Five Eyes, being a founder member in the 1940s. Therefore Nine Eyes is simply an extension of what is already in place.
    Yes. But c could be presenting the idea to ministry of defence at the summit so they decide. It's his attempt to gain greater power for spectre. Where's the drama If c has already got his way before he dies?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 14,800
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Yes. But c could be presenting the idea to ministry of defence at the summit so they decide. It's his attempt to gain greater power for spectre. Where's the drama If c has already got his way before he dies?

C is seen as far more of a threat if he already has his way, like he did in the movie, than if he rebuffed by his own government.
    Really struggling to argue with much of that.

Although personally I didn't like Blofeld surviving being blown up again and the climax on the bridge.

Either he should escape or better not even be in London at all and the finale is Bond fighting C. Then right before the end credits we just have a shot of a mysterious man in a wheelchair, the camera pans up and we see some of construction going on in the crater of a volcano. Then the cat walks across frame and snarls at the lense a la the end of the DAF PTS. The end.

That somehow has a Darth Vader at the end of Revenge of the Sith feel about it.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Maybe a jailbreak opening is a bit too predictable? How about an opening where Blofeld is seen to die -- perhaps assassinated while in prison, or on the way there. He is then cremated and duly dismissed, but then evidence turns up via intelligence communities around the world that he's not dead and that SPECTRE is, in fact, alive and well. Clues all point to Blofeld definitely being alive, but how?

Bond has to find out against a backdrop of escalating Cold War II tensions where international talks are breaking down and economies in the western world are nearing collapse due to sanctions and burgeoning national debts. Is SPECTRE the orchestrating force behind this? If so, why?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Even better, I hope in Bond 25 they'll reveal that Oberhauser is not the real Blofeld and he made up the "I created SPECTRE beacuse I was jealous of my father and my stepbrother's relationship" b******t.