Realistic & Serious Story Ideas for Bond 25 (...to be used by EON Productions Ltd.??)

Comments

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,138
    Blofelds plan all along can not have been just to hurt Bond, because Mathis tells Bond in QOS that Vesper done a deal his life for the money. They really need to fix that major issue for me and clarify that Blofelds aim was about power and control, the fact that Bond happened to be the man who would end up on his persuit was just a beautiful twist of fate. Thank you guys I am glad you liked the prior post, my wife is twice the Bond fan today she was yesterday. She's all chuffed with herself she even asked me if she could watch Dalton as Bond! that's a major break through as she often gets embarrassed when we're among friends as all I talk about is Bond to anyone who will listen
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,599
    delete
  • IronCrabIronCrab Northamptonshire
    Okay, two possible plots depending upon whether Daniel Craig returns or not.

Play The Devil
    James Bond - Daniel Craig
    Anna Friel - Jacinta Haze
    Lars Mikkelson - Luther Furst

Pre title sequence: Bond has not been seen since the end of SP. Bond makes contact with Tanner, claiming that he has vital information that he must give M personally. During his debriefing interview Bond attempts to kill M, but is prevented by Tanner and Moneypenny. Bond escapes from the MI6 building pursued by agents, but eventually gets away.

Bond is suffering from amnesia and unsure what led to his attempt to kill M. He is being pursued by former colleagues whilst attempting to track down who has brain washed him. In Spain another former British agent, Jacinta Haze, is captured after killing the British Ambassador. Bond thinks there is a connection and frees her.

Together they track down Luther Furst, who they believe is behind the mystery whilst avoiding British agents attempting to kill them
  • DariusDarius UK
    IronCrab wrote: »

Play The Devil

Pre title sequence: Bond has not been seen since the end of SP. Bond makes contact with Tanner, claiming that he has vital information that he must give M personally. During his debriefing interview Bond attempts to kill M, but is prevented by Tanner and Moneypenny. Bond escapes from the MI6 building pursued by agents, but eventually gets away.

Bond is suffering from amnesia and unsure what led to his attempt to kill M. He is being pursued by former colleagues whilst attempting to track down who has brain washed him. In Spain another former British agent, Jacinta Haze, is captured after killing the British Ambassador. Bond thinks there is a connection and frees her.

Together they track down Luther Furst, who they believe is behind the mystery whilst avoiding British agents attempting to kill them

This might work whether DC returns or not.

It's a good starting point for a story and owes a lot to the first few chapters of Fleming's The Man With The Golden Gun. This deserves to be developed further, but I would be careful where you take it because the notion of Bond with amnesia or brainwashing of any sort is veering perilously close to Bourne territory.

It's a good starting point for a story and owes a lot to the first few chapters of Fleming's The Man With The Golden Gun. This deserves to be developed further, but I would be careful where you take it because the notion of Bond with amnesia or brainwashing of any sort is veering perilously close to Bourne territory.

Agreed. I was worried about it being too close to Bourne. And yes the start is stolen from MWTGG. But there is the germ of something there.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,068
    I must say I would much prefer Bond to be fully compos mentis for any future film as the brainwashing and memory thing is a bit too overdone and dangerously plays too far to the boundaries of a character's values/beliefs/attitudes etc.

As for set piece suggestions, I too thought about a F1 connection which I'll run past you guys here though things are changing in the rules of F1 now and there's no real safety car now!
    How about a bit of a wild plot scenario here - imagine a futuristic jet military helicopter (yes OK, done before as per GE :| ) being used in a terror attack on the Hyper rich / A+list VIP guests Dubai Grand Prix F1 night race where Bond, as is his way, is trying to spoil an evil plot and in doing so creates more havoc 'borrowing' the race Safety Car!?

It's one hell of a 'Police Car' and the Safety Car job description of the super tricked out AMG Merc has a date with Bond written all over it!! The chaos of it going freestyle on the race circuit in the hyper lit night race with the wild surrounding architecture could make quite a visual feast even if I'm not capturing it fully here!!

Burjsafetycar4.jpg

I can picture DC carving through everything whilst shooting out the open gullwing door (it's good enough for Jeremy Clarkson with action not quips in mind). I see a chase that could climax at the 7 star Burj Al Arab hotel to stop imminent catastrophe and save that sultry brunette but they may not take too kindly to the place blowing up mind (even if only on HD!). Yes it's probably nearly 90 miles away but hey, the AMG's a fast car with a 200mph top speed and it IS Bond driving with a tinsy bit of film artistic licence even if there is a bit of aggro along the way... :D

It'd be a mash up of pretty intense iconic elements but I'm sure Merc wouldn't mind the product placement (or Bernie kerching $ Ecclestone going for a Bond / F1 connection). Would make for one hell of an action sequence like CR's Airport scene! If F1 cars weren't so wimpy fragile I did wonder about Bond driving one of these out of the circuit onto the open road!!?

Burjaston2.jpg

OR. Why not a micro heli-jet!? Now for something completely different: :D

Burjjetbike3C-1.jpg
    As soon as we get into Bond memory issues, we have entered into Bourne territory
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2015 Posts: 17,728
    patb wrote: »
    As soon as we get into Bond memory issues, we have entered into Bourne territory

Even though it played a part in the original Fleming novels YOLT and TMWTGG, many years before there ever was a Jason Bourne?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Even though it played a part in the original Fleming novels YOLT and TMWTGG, many years before there ever was a Jason Bourne?

Considering people think SPECTRE ripped off Hydra recently, it would undoubtedly compared to it sadly.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Murdock wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Considering people think SPECTRE ripped off Hydra recently, it would undoubtedly compared to it sadly.

And therein lies the problem for the modern James Bond film...QoS being a case in point in that regard...
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Darius wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    For (obvious?) reasons, Bond still hasn't truly dealt with...

Islamic fundamentalists
    IRA
    Realistic bio terrorism

Eon and Fleming/IFP have tried to keep away from politically contentious issues, such as these, although OHMSS does have bio-terrorism as its main plot driver. Bond has never, either in film or on the printed page, been a vehicle for political lobbying by means of portraying an actual criminal or terrorist organisation as the villain. Rather, Bond seeks to assuage public fear by means of alluding to such things in a very oblique manner without mentioning actual names.

I think it's best that things remain like this, because Bond is about entertainment foremost and therefore should not be a tool for making potentially controversial political statements.

I am not suggesting that change in course, either, mind you. I'm merely pointing out the "realism" and "seriousness" for the thread. However, I do think bio-terrorism (by SPECTRE) is a plausible plotline. Ity was handled in OHMSS, as pointed out earlier. But it can be handled more realistically and terrifyingly in Bond 25, if EON were to go down that path.

Also, every actor (except Lazenby) has had his share of underwater adventure. DC has not. If he's back for 25, I'd lack to see that element added.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 322

Play The Devil

Nice ideas, but I see two issues:
    1) There was nothing at the end of SP to suggest Bond is injured - I think such a link back to the previous film would be good if there had been a cliffhanger
    2) I'm bored with plots that are inwardly looking. I'm pining for Bond to return the Dr No role of being a government agent, the pinnacle of special forces / secret service, being assigned to deal with a threat to British interests. No more "this is personal". Personally I feel Bond is more chilling as a relatively-anonymous lethal government agent being sent out into the night, rather than a dinasour civil servant fighting with his adopted brother with daddy issues

Maybe one for the future?
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,068
    DC in his trunks is probably more than enough exciting underwater adventure for many (male and female)! Kidding really. It's a fair point. Maybe DC does get his Thunderball?
    Sir Hillary's wife has killed this thread, such a perfect idea IMHO
    I've been thinking all week that the next 2 films should be done back to back and released a year apart (I know that's asking a lot but eon have never tried it before) part 1 called Risico which is basically just the set up for the finale which has to be called 'Shatterhand', if DC returns with SM all the better.They can then hand it all over to some new talent knowing they've given it their best.
    Love the Risico poster!

Troy wrote: »

Play The Devil

Nice ideas, but I see two issues:
    1) There was nothing at the end of SP to suggest Bond is injured - I think such a link back to the previous film would be good if there had been a cliffhanger
    2) I'm bored with plots that are inwardly looking. I'm pining for Bond to return the Dr No role of being a government agent, the pinnacle of special forces / secret service, being assigned to deal with a threat to British interests. No more "this is personal". Personally I feel Bond is more chilling as a relatively-anonymous lethal government agent being sent out into the night, rather than a dinasour civil servant fighting with his adopted brother with daddy issues

Maybe one for the future?

My feeling is that at the end of SP it appears that Bond has left the service. I was looking at a way for him to come back and the start of MWTGG novel sprang to mind.
    I love the fact the title is "realistic and serious" and the first suggestion is "Bond in space".

I'd like a film that includes maybe Second third of the movie where bond is scared and being pursued or tracked somewhere remote. Like in Butch Cassidy, Capricorn one, no country for old men, the fugitive. He fears for his survival and has to rely on his wits to stay alive.

I love the shot in butch Cassidy where the lanterns follow the false trail then rejoin the true one. Really effective and tense.
    Id also like the opening chapters of moonraker done word for word.
  • DariusDarius UK
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I love the fact the title is "realistic and serious" and the first suggestion is "Bond in space".

I'd like a film that includes maybe Second third of the movie where bond is scared and being pursued or tracked somewhere remote. Like in Butch Cassidy, Capricorn one, no country for old men, the fugitive. He fears for his survival and has to rely on his wits to stay alive.

I love the shot in butch Cassidy where the lanterns follow the false trail then rejoin the true one. Really effective and tense.

Yes, the thread title and the first post are a bit at variance with each other.

Your suggestion of Bond as a fugitive living on his wits is a good one and could work if handled properly. I always like it when Bond demonstrates his resourcefulness, rather than rely on a handy "deus ex machina" gadget that Q has conveniently provided -- obviously after having consulted his crystal ball.

The only problem with a "Bond living off the land while being pursued" concept is that we're sort of encroaching on Rambo: First Blood territory, which is why such a story would have to be handled in a different way so as not to appear derivative.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,548
    TripAces wrote: »
    For (obvious?) reasons, Bond still hasn't truly dealt with...

Islamic fundamentalists
    IRA
    Realistic bio terrorism

Eon and Fleming/IFP have tried to keep away from politically contentious issues, such as these, although OHMSS does have bio-terrorism as its main plot driver. Bond has never, either in film or on the printed page, been a vehicle for political lobbying by means of portraying an actual criminal or terrorist organisation as the villain. Rather, Bond seeks to assuage public fear by means of alluding to such things in a very oblique manner without mentioning actual names.

I think it's best that things remain like this, because Bond is about entertainment foremost and therefore should not be a tool for making potentially controversial political statements.

Actually, this isn't 100% true, now that I think about it. Both CR and QoS dealt with political movements in Africa and South America. QoS was actually quite critical of U.S. involvement in Latin America. I'd argue that QoS was the most political of Bond films, as it also had a not-so-subtle environmental message.

On the whole, though, you're right. EON has always stayed away from deep political positions.
    Matt007 wrote: »

I like your idea. Yes, indeed, that tracking sequence in BCatSD is brilliant stuff.
    Surely the entire premise of the whole Bourne series was living on his wits to stay ahead of the constant pack of pursuers with the gag he'd stop and rock them by proving he could see them. Don't want Bond to be more of the same. Better Bond to play a pursuer role with constant booby traps set for him so still living on his wits?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Play The Devil

And DAD and SF... as far as missing etc. Great idea but too similar now.

• edited November 2015 Posts: 4,599
    OK, nothing to do with recent plots but has reminders of TSWLM,

SPECTRE purchases three/four 1980s tech hunter/killer subs from Russia via arms dealer. They hold G7 to ransom by threatening to sink giant oil tankers (they are large, slow and make an easy target), SPECTRE has invested in Russian pipeline oil firms who benefit from the sky rocketing price of oil plus we also have the environmental/green impact of massive oil spills at a global scale. MI5 become involved as SPECTRE sink a tanker at the Finnart Oil Terminal, Scotland as a demonstration of power. Bond finds the central control HQ that co-ordinates the subs, he gives them fake orders to surface at certain locations where Felix arranges them to be met by force and sunk, then Bond blows up HQ. Simple but grand story with a green twist.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 16
    Okay, idea number two:

True Allegiance

James Bond: Daniel Craig
    Sir Achilles Knight: Christopher Eccleston
    Tamsin Honeybourne: Miranda Raison
    Newton: Jason Statham

Pre title sequence: Bond is on temporary secondment to MI5 at the personal request of Defence Minister John Honeybourne, at a special event at Eton school. Bond and Honeybourne were classmates at Eton and Bond suspects that Honeybourne has requested his involvement because he likes the idea of ordering Bond around. However, before Honeybourne is about to give a speech to the Old Boys, he hints to Bond that he needs to speak to him in private.
    During the speech there is an assassination attempt on Honeybourne and Bond initially saves the Minister. Bond suspects a trap and tries to help Honeybourne escape via a different route to the contingence plan, but as Honeybourne desperately tries to impart some vital information, he is shot. Bond goes after the sniper but is nearly killed himself. For some reason however he is allowed to live.

Main film: M returns from holiday in a furious mood. He demands to know why Tanner allowed Bond to be seconded to MI5 for what was little more than the role of security guard. Tanner explains that Honeybourne wanted a fellow Etonian involved. When M states that Bond was expelled for being in bed with the daughter of a School Master, Tanner defends Bond by saying it was a case of mistaken identity. To which Moneypenny says that it was indeed a mistake, since Bond thought he was getting into bed with the School Masters other daughter!

Bond is grilled by M and Christopher Van Asch from MI5. Bond claims to have seen Sir Achilles Knight, a former SAS and MI6 agent who was supposedly killed in Afghanistan some years before. M loses his temper, asks Van Asch to leave but outside the room everyone hears Bond being blamed for what happened. He is placed on gardening leave while the investigation takes place.

Bond retreats to Fowey in Cornwall. While there he is approached by John Honeybourne's sister, Tamsin. She was told to seek Bond out if anything happened to her brother. As she attempts to give a memory stick to Bond, they are attacked by two men. Bond and Tamsin flee through the narrow Cornish streets. They become trapped at the Lost Gardens of Helligan, but Bond manages to kill one of his pursuers.

The information on the memory stick concerns an organisation in Canada. Bond and Tamsin fly to Calagary and they quickly realise they are being followed. Bond is lured to to a fight club, where he boxes against a man who Bond thinks he recognises. The man, Newton, batters Bond but Bond manages to win by throwing a left hook to the solar plexus.

Bond is finally introduced to Achilles Knight. Knight had gone back to rescue some soldiers in Afghanistan, despite being ordered not to. Only Newton and Knight escaped and a bullet in Knight's left wrist left he hand useless and in a permanent claw shape.

Knight and Newton were so disheartened at how military personal were treated they have planned since to overthrow the politicians in the UK. As Knight says, "a desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy." He has assembled a team of retired or discharged British soldiers and their aim is to hit the House of Commons at the Queens Speech.

There is a battle within Parliament, including a fight on top of Big Ben between Bond and Newton.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Very creative @IronCrab ..we need a boxing match in a Bond. Fleming's Bond I believe was trained as a boxer, yes?
    I thought a fight on top of Big Ben would be good in spectre
    I fight at midnight would be great as the the sound of the bell would be horribly loud/painful so they would struggle but know that the fight would commence plus the metaphor of the Palace of Westminster representing democracy etc, seeing the bad guy fall through the glass and crash onto the ground would be good.
    If they want to add an extra layer of cheese/drama, the tower has been used for New Years eve fireworks for the last couple if years, the colours of the fireworks through the glass clock face would be stunning and a feast for Deakins
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/5401441/Lets-hear-it-again-from-Big-Ben.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/picturesoftheday/8989319/Pictures-of-the-day-3-January-2012.html?image=15
    A thing about Big Ben though.

It was used as the climax to the 70s version of the 39 steps.

I always thought that tieing someone to the hands so they were slowly ripped to pieces in full view of bond would be a good premise. He'd rescue them of course.