SPECTRE or Spectre?

in SPECTRE Posts: 582
Okay, this is a geeky question, but shouldn't the title be written in all uppercase? Everwhere, IMDB, the media etc., write it as 'Spectre'.

Comments

• RC7RC7
    The title has a double meaning, but the only one alluded to in the film is the idea of a 'spectre' as a ghost. They don't ref the original acronym, so I guess 'Spectre' is probably the more accurate of the two.
    Yeah I totally got that, just the poster has it all in caps and wondered which was the correct rendering.
  • RC7RC7
    tigers99 wrote: »
    Yeah I totally got that, just the poster has it all in caps and wondered which was the correct rendering.

Moonraker is also in caps on the poster as are many others, but you'd write it Moonraker. Same for Spectre for me.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 582
    True. So shouldn't the category for posting be rendered 'Spectre (2015)' not 'SPECTRE (2015)' as Skyfall is 'Skyfall'. Sorry I'm an editor by profession and am quite picky about these things, the MI6 Confidential Magazine could do with proofreading before going to press, I've noticed quite a few mistakes there :P
  • RC7RC7
    True. So shouldn't the category for posting be rendered 'Spectre (2015)' not 'SPECTRE (2015)' as Skyfall is 'Skyfall'. Sorry I'm an editor by profession and am quite picky about these things, the MI6 Confidential Mazgazine could do with proofreading before going to press, I've noticed quite a few mistakes there :P

I can understand your annoyance. I don't actually think anyone really knew as they were very vague about it. All I seem to remember hearing is that Mendes claimed the meaning wasn't quite the same as it was before, but didn't rule out the acronym being viable.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    It's funny they didn't use SPecial Executive for Counter intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion in the film, seeing as that's where it came from. Do you think they changed it because of Craig's new continuity?
  • RC7RC7
    It's funny they didn't use SPecial Executive for Counter intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion in the film, seeing as that's where it came from. Do you think they changed it because of Craig's new continuity?

They ran with the idea of Oberhauser/ESB being a spectral presence. Why they don't ref the acronym I don't know, but to be honest I don't mind. They ballsed up QoS by naming the organisation Quantum, instead of sticking with the more subtle notion that was intended. I think Mendes just didn't want to confuse matters.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 582
    Thanks RC7, I don't think I caught that about what Mendes said about the meaning. I think I prefer 'Spectre' as it carries all the spectral qualities in the film. But thinking about it, the losing of the acronym makes me think of some of the criticism of the film, hence continued in spoiler
    SPECTRE the acronym obviously points to their reason for existence, their modus operandi, whereas in this film, whilst they obviously do some of that, seem to exist so that poor Oberhauser can exact some of his childhood angst at James Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    Thanks RC7, I don't think I caught that about what Mendes said about the meaning. I think I prefer 'Spectre' as it carries all the spectral qualities in the film. But thinking about it, the losing of the acronym makes me think of some of the criticism of the film, hence continued in spoiler
    SPECTRE the acronym obviously points to their reason for existence, their modus operandi, whereas in this film, whilst they obviously do some of that, seem to exist so that poor Oberhauser can exact some of his childhood angst at James Bond.

They don't exist for that reason at all.
    ESB states that Bond interfered in his world, so he's exacting revenge for that. It's not his sole focus, as evidenced by the operational breakdown in the meeting room. He's just a psychopath. The whole 'Bond' story, CR - SP is a mere footnote in the exploits of Spectre the organisation. That's how I read it.
    Either, EITHER.
    RC7 wrote: »

They don't exist for that reason at all.
    ESB states that Bond interfered in his world, so he's exacting revenge for that. It's not his sole focus, as evidenced by the operational breakdown in the meeting room. He's just a psychopath. The whole 'Bond' story, CR - SP is a mere footnote in the exploits of Spectre the organisation. That's how I read it.

Good point, I guess that's just the impression that some critics have left with.
  • I always spelled it in all caps for continuity reasons. I mean, yeah, they don't use the acronym, but it just doesn't look right to me, you know?
  • edited November 2015 Posts: 847
    The true response is that the two are absolutly corrects (because the both are utilised in scripts, subtitles, official press dossier, and Spe is no a acronym (Mendes in Empire)). End of the discution.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    We closed down several of these already.
    We have a thread for questions.
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2843/the-james-bond-questions-thread
This discussion has been closed.