Bond Box Office and other measurements

PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
in Bond Movies Posts: 3,675
Two really cool sites I stumbled across tell how each Bond film did at the Box Office as well as other measurements!

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/James-Bond#tab=summary

http://www.thejamesbonddossier.com/james-bond-films/box-office-figures-for-the-james-bond-series.htm

Comments

• edited October 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Nice find i.e 'jamesbonddossier'...........don't think i've seen that page before.

The things it highlights..........is how massively profitable the early Bonds were.

The admission figures for Thunderball are quite staggering in the US and Worldwide.....with the US figures dwarfing even the modern day Skyfall by a huge margin.........and so did GF.

In 1966 the US population was around 200 mil, and Canada was 20 mil..............so the 63 mil admissions for TB were around 30% of the entire population of North America.

In comparison there are now over 320 million people in the US alone.
  • I'm afraid these ROI are too far from the truth. Nowadays, when a blockbuster makes three times his budget, you can be left with a ROI of only 10%...
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,098
    I'm afraid these ROI are too far from the truth. Nowadays, when a blockbuster makes three times his budget, you can be left with a ROI of only 10%...

Looking at the historical figures.........it really shows that when judging a films BO, you really do need to look at the budget of the film as well..........which the media usually don't appreciate when they write their articles, when discussing a films success!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I have to bump this up because the article in the link has been updated with final figures including SPECTRE.
    It shows nicely that SPECTRE belongs to the 4 most successful Bond movies, TB-SF-GF-SP.
    Two really cool sites I stumbled across tell how each Bond film did at the Box Office as well as other measurements!

http://www.thejamesbonddossier.com/james-bond-films/box-office-figures-for-the-james-bond-series.htm
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,984
    Wikipedia has these stats (different numbers at some places, though, which leads to some different rankings), but yeah, they're quite interesting. I made a thread about these stats a while back but it died immediately.

This proves that Spectre was very successful - about as successful as you can get with Bond when you're not riding on things like the 50th anniversary and a cameo appearance at the Olympics with the queen.

The 80's films look incredibly shoddy by comparison, even though FYEO and OP were second in worldwide gross for their respective years (behind only massive worldwide hits like Raiders of the Lost Ark and Return of the Jedi. The films that came afterwards, especially Dalton's films, did quite poorly, however.

Brosnan's films all happened to somehow fall in the below-average area, but they were clumped together quite nicely.