SPECTRE - Your reviews. NO SPOILERS.

Comments

• AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    007bondUK wrote: »
    I think it needs a second viewing because honestly after it was over it felt a bit flat. Never had that feeling after Skyfall so sure the bar is set high but SPECTRE is too long and has some really stupid moments which make no sense with the established characters.

Apart from the technically excellent opening tracking shot this so called best ever opening title sequence was dull.

Thomas Newman's score is not a score. It's like an arrangement of unused cues from Skyfall. There is a constant drone of orchestral bars that just hang about all movie.

Craig is excellent as always and maybe he has one more movie in him but then that would be the right time to hand over the reigns.

Ouch
    b-(
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Newman's score was fine for me, but I'm probably easy to please. ;)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Go back and listen to the soundtracks to CR and QoS it wipes the floor with Newman's Bond efforts.
    Oh, I'm an Arnold fan,to have him back on board would be the icing on the cake,
    but I find nothing offensive in Newman's score. At least it doesn't take away from
    any of the scenes.
  • Just one question. Why did Craig's Bond have to be told by Léa Seydoux's character about the existence of SPECTRE? He'd already encountered SPECTRE in earlier missions, well before the appointment of a female 'M'. The film SPECTRE is set post-female 'M', so the suggestion that Bond was unfamiliar with this particular terror organisation is plainly nonsense.
    I think with CR and the reboot, all that had gone before, never existed in Craig's
    Bond world, he knew about Quantum but not Spectre. :)
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 389
    Just one question. Why did Craig's Bond have to be told by Léa Seydoux's character about the existence of SPECTRE? He'd already encountered SPECTRE in earlier missions, well before the appointment of a female 'M'. The film SPECTRE is set post-female 'M', so the suggestion that Bond was unfamiliar with this particular terror organisation is plainly nonsense.
    CR-SP take place in a "different universe" or in a different "time line", as Craig´s Bond is not a "relic of the cold war" any more. It is all about the reboot.
    AceHole wrote: »
    SPECTRE has a great first hour, reminds me of the start of Thunderball with Bond off solo in a fast pace hunt. The second half of the movie is not as strong, it felt like it lost its way. Because of that it does not sit well with Dan's prior films it's a bit too Holywood, there is a real lack of dialog.

Although not intended to sound positive, I think this is actually what most people wanted - a good old fashioned 'set-up' opening hour (à la TB, TSWLM) followed by an action packed second half with less emphasis on character (less than SF in any case).

To be honest, I'm not looking to be wowed by incredibly deep, thought provoking cinema - this isn't a proposition by Wittgenstein, it's a James Bond movie.
    There was never going to be a win-win situation for the new movie on this forum – either SP was going to have too much angst & introspection (thus displeasing the ‘get back to basics & spectacle’ crowd) or it was going to be lighter on the dialog & subtlety and more spectacular - thus being dismissed as too 'flash-bang' or not deep enough…

Dialog has never been 007's strong suit anyway… not since the glory days of early Connery at least, and CR was the only film since OHMSS that had a decent script.

Although there is more humour in SP I also think it's the most gruesome and maybe the darkest Bond yet.
    God fudging damnit I just got spoiled on reddit about something about this movie......and it wasn't even a review thread and it clearly said "NO SPOILERS" fudging hell...if that guy wrote that comment on purpose...:@ :@ and it was an innocent comment so I think he might have missed the connotation of the thread ? DAMNIT I AM MAD (palindrome :D )........I mean..I'll enjoy the movie none the less cause I got spoiled about M's death in SF...

It's just...I don't want to live in an Amish Paradise for my favorite movies....I was also spoiled about something in Age of Ultron this year as well....

I mean..it's my fault PARTIALLY but..

Now....on topic where I can read smart people being on topic:

Well...I am glad for these reviews...for some reason I thought I'd rate SPECTRE around same as...idk TND or FYEO..an "eh ok movie" but nothing huge...I'm glad to see that some people even rate it more than SF! I still think I'd prefer SF to SPECTRE but..these reviews give me hope (y)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It was extremely good, on the whole.

Pacing was all over the place though - the film felt like it was of Lord of the Rings proportions. The car chase was very disappointing. The title song is still rubbish and the score is very flat.

Craig was great, as was all of the supporting cast. Beautifully shot by van Hoytema, and there was a lot of great humour when needed. Despite the faults above, it's a very solid follow-up to Skyfall from Mendes and co.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    It was extremely good, on the whole.

Pacing was all over the place though - the film felt like it was of Lord of the Rings proportions. The car chase was very disappointing. The title song is still rubbish and the score is very flat.

Craig was great, as was all of the supporting cast. Beautifully shot by van Hoytema, and there was a lot of great humour when needed. Despite the faults above, it's a very solid follow-up to Skyfall from Mendes and co.

Almost everyone is reporting similar opinions/experiences.

Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious as to what my reaction will be to the Rome chase though...

• DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited October 2015 Posts: 1,329
    I think it's much better paced than skyfall I didn't feel like spectre sagged at all.
    Loved every second of SP.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

Great ...thanks for sharing.

First thing I said after getting here onto the forum after watching it. Those seconds tick along nicely too. I'm seeing it again Friday. Too much work before them.

It's very telling I had absolutely no interest in going back after my first SF. I've only ever managed about 5 full viewings on DVD. SF's far too dour, miserable / downbeat and hugely overrated as well as the characters being irtitatingly too damned negligent in their duties as far as I'm concerned.

With SP I'm on a Bond high again.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    andmcit wrote: »

First thing I said after getting here onto the forum after watching it. Those seconds tick along nicely too. I'm seeing it again Friday. Too much work before them.

It's very telling I had absolutely no interest in going back after my first SF. I've only ever managed about 5 full viewings on DVD. SF's far too dour, miserable / downbeat and hugely overrated as well as the characters being irtitatingly too damned negligent in their duties as far as I'm concerned.

=D>

=D>

I love a good "Bond high"...complete with a good aftercare soundtrack listen

<:-P

DCisared wrote: »
    I think it's much better paced than skyfall I didn't feel like spectre sagged at all.

Absolutely. It's much better paced than CR (needlessly drawn out by the unnecessary airport sequence and about four endings) and SF.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 1,021
    Glad to hear all these positive reviews from Bond fans. It sounds like its going to be a fine blend of classic Bond with elements of the Craig era.
    I managed to continue the rush by getting Bond by Design last night an hour before going into SP. Damn I'm supposed to be doing some work now but I'm all over the place. Can't stop reading it and listening to Wotw after only hearing it the first time in SP so it looks like it's serious. May need to seek some help :)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I managed to continue the rush by getting Bond by Design last night an hour before going into SP. Damn I'm supposed to be doing some work now but I'm all over the place. Can't stop reading it and listening to Wotw after only hearing it the first time in SP so it looks like it's serious. May need to seek some help :)

Far from it. Cherish this moment :)
  • So glad to hear so much enthusiasm! My excitement is building every day. My head might actually explode by the time I see SP on November 6!
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,098
    Saw the film today............thought it was pretty good...........though a very strange feel of tone to the film.........and there was some sloppy storytelling.
    Was surprised that a couple of the main action sequences were not that good actually, particularly the car chase in Rome. Great fight on the train though............and the film has some quite brutal scenes.
    Monica Belluci was virtually a non character in the film.
    Liked the main villain!

Film looks like its gonna make a shed load of money now!
    One word... brilliant! Up there with CR, SF and early Connery as classic Bond. Daniel Craig cements his position as best Bond ever imho. The next man has a helluva job on his hands.
  • A lot of people seem to be underwhelmed by the Rome car chase. What is it that people don't like about it? Seems strange considering the amount of money that was spent and the use of the DB10.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I can't bear the thought of waiting any longer. I'm loving everything I'm hearing.
    Just seen it and am planning to see it again in a week or two. First response is generally positive. It is better than SF IMO. Some nice sequences. Opening tracking shot is great.

The best sequence without a doubt for me was the train sequence.

I hate to say it but Newman's score unfortunately puts a bit of a downer on things. As with SF, his music just has this levelling, deadening effect.

However, I feel more positive about this one than I did after SF. Will reserve final judgement until after seeing it again.
  • Can't someone amend this thread to warn that some idiot may be posting spoilers anyway?

For the record, I hated SF but enjoyed this one a lot. The look is great, and there is an eerie feel to it. The finale doesn't quite tie in with that, and isn't as good imo, but there is a sophistication to the look of movie that put me in mind of Jack Nicolson's cult movie The Passenger, and the more recent Italian art house classic, The Great Beauty. There is a brooding menace to the film that works well. Even a bit of a nod to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. That said, I think the menace and feel were more impressive than the action scenes, bar the opener.

Best of all, the film does tie in the previous Craig movies well, it ties up loose ends, so you may feel more keenly disposed towards, say, QoS, than you did before.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited October 2015 Posts: 8,009
    A lot of people seem to be underwhelmed by the Rome car chase. What is it that people don't like about it? Seems strange considering the amount of money that was spent and the use of the DB10.

The car chase is the payoff of the suspenseful Spectre boardroom meeting, but the tension isn't allowed to build during the chase because an exposition-filled conversation with Moneypenny, her boyfriend and her fridge is shoehorned in. I understand why they put it in but in the end it had a negative effect on the chase as an "action sequence". There's very little to it in the end. It's easily the worst action sequence in the film.
    I'm confused, spoilers above?