SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Unless I missed a photo, I thought it funny, that Dominic Greene gets a
    Mention, but no photo. Almost as if even Spectre doesn't recognise QOS. ;)

I figured that it was because he was directly responsible for any of the 'deaths' Blofeld had seemingly orchestrated. Le Chiffre is the main protagonist in CR, White has connections to both Vesper and Madeliene and Silva to M. Greene is sort of an anomaly in that sense.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Ya know what annoyed me? Bond picking up that vhs of vespers interrogation. Am.not even sure why but I just felt like it was needed.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I think some of that was just to remind the average viewer ( Not fans)
    of the connection, or at least Reenforcing the connection.
    See, I thought the torture scene wasn't nearly as effective as the one in CR.

Effective maybe not but painful yes. My wife couldn't watch it and she watched the CR one.
    Very marathon man, in feel. :)
    Here's a question. Did MGW have a cameo this time round? I can't remember seeing him.
    He was talking to Denbigh in the hall, as M came up to talk to him.
    Thanks @DrGorner. I always miss stuff on my first viewing.
    Oh, I've missed plenty :) need a few more viewings.
    I've just been catching up on highlights of the Premiere from last night. The look on Babs' face when David Walliams mentions Blofeld is absolutely priceless. What a tool. =))
    Well, have just seen it. And like all Bond movies, I will wait for a second or third viewing before making my mind up properly where it goes in the list. For now though I came away from it with a bigger smile on my face than SF! Very entertaining, gunbarrel back where it belongs, stunning pre-credits (That 'Touch of Evil' style tracking shot is a doozy) Daniel Kleinman does his best title sequence, sterling cast (apart from my beloved Monica, really just a cameo). Craig fantastic, Waltz chilling, Lea sexy as hell, Mr. Hinx and that heart pounding train fight and I know some didn't like the car chase, but I did, particularly its climax, THAT torture scene, and an exciting finish! Loved it
    Downside? Thomas Newman should have his fee cut for reusing his score from SF!
    Considering how much emphasis Mendes put into talking up the script, it wasn't quite nailed down! (I would like to see Paul Haggis return to script duties next time) and please can we have less personal stuff in the next one (And less of Moneypenny and Q, though Ralph Fiennes M has really come into his own AND had the films biggest laugh!)
    So a return for my second viewing, hopefully on Thursday. I envy anyone who has yet to see it!
  • EsotericEsoteric Poland
    And i'm just sitting here and waiting for 08.11, that is my reservation.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 6,396
    There's a moment right at the start of the car chase when we cut to a front mounted camera and I was thinking we were going to get a heart pounding chase along the lines of The French Connection or Ronin, but it never materialised. Instead, it was played more for laughs (not to the extremes of the fire engine scene in AVTAK mind) but it was still the most underwhelming action sequence in the film.

However, the PTS, Austria, the train fight, ESB's lair all certainly make up for it.
    I avoided as many spoilers as I could and so, I too was expecting
    an exceptional car chase between two supercars . so the comedy
    Elements, came as a bit of a surprise. It was still fun though.
    Question: anybody thinks Hinx might still be alive? Bond survived worse.
    :)) I was expecting him to turn up at the end.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Question: anybody thinks Hinx might still be alive? Bond survived worse.

Yes, I think it's possible he'll be back.

DrGorner wrote: »
    :)) I was expecting him to turn up at the end.

At first I thought he was one of the guys pulling Bond from M's Jag in London but it of course it was random thug #1 instead.

Given that we didn't see his "death", they could always bring him back in a future film although I really hope they don't.
    I agree he was a great Henchman, but I don't want to see him return.
    The one word he says in the film, got the biggest laugh from me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hinx must return. He must fall in love with a Miss Hinx, and turn good.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    See, I thought the torture scene wasn't nearly as effective as the one in CR.

Effective maybe not but painful yes. My wife couldn't watch it and she watched the CR one.

I think men have a tougher time watching the CR torture scene than women...for obvious reasons.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 6,396
    Was the opening 4 minute tracking shot one continuous take or was digital trickery used? Either way, it was an absolutely mesmerising opening to the film. DC bounding across the rooftops was sublime.
  • Was the opening 4 minute tracking shot one continuous take or was digital trickery used? Either way, it was an absolutely mesmerising opening to the film. DC bounding across the rooftops was sublime.

Im not sure, but it was spectacular. In fact, the whole PTS managed to be both original and traditional at the same time. Newman is on top form here too, with his Los Muertos... track.
    They all said several times, it was ONE shot.
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Hi guys, i must say i dont see people as entusiastic as i was expecting.
    Having read the scripts, the initial press reviews made a lot of sense to me (in terms of change in direction, to a more classic Bond, less character driven, bla bla).
    Well i guess it is good to lower my expectations so probably in the end i will..love it (here in Portugal only on the 6th of November)!
    Anyway for those who didnt like it that much, what was the main reason for your negative review. Is it to much humour? Silly humour? is it to much action, and not that memorable? Is it to much a pastiche of older movies...? and so on. Cheers!
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Can someone tell me if the"..we have all the time in the world" phrase appears in the movie, as it was in the script?
    Why not a return for ESB, Himx and Madeline?

Bond can't just drive off in his Aston into the sunset WITH the girl and not have the rug pulled out from under him!

He's a really unlucky kinda guy where nice stuff doesn't happen. Still x2 years with Madelone before she lets herself go a bit could make up for the wheels falling off the wagon on the next outing.

Can't see it being anyone but DC
    Not that I noticed.
    I think the action and humour are absolutely fine and for the most part, bang on the money.

The story didn't quite deliver the emotional punch that I was hoping for. Maybe it was because of the narrative of the last 3 films that I didn't think expect this film would be more of a return to a Connery or Moore film.

I still enjoyed it immensely but I will need a few more viewings to give it a full evaluation.