Spectre Gunbarrel ***Spoilers***

Comments

Looks decent enough to me. My favorite gun barrels are DN, OHMSS, LALD, FYEO, LTK, and GE.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited October 2015 Posts: 306
    Agree with @FourDot that LTK's gunbarrel is the best of the series. Kamen nails it on his one and only time.

Licence to Kill gun barrel feels so epic!!!

Anyway, I am immensely excited for gun barrel sequence in SPECTRE!
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    @Fitzochris Not liking the way you're pushing your views onto others. Look up "Subjective"

I have an opinion and I'm giving it. You can agree with it or not.

Look up the word "Bawbag".

• FourDot wrote: »
    Fitzochris wrote: »
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    FourDot wrote: »
    Wait, the morse code doesn't come with the dots?

Jesus, they still can't get it right.

No, that comes before the dots, and then the dots onwards it's a TWINE/TND-style cue.

I don't see a problem with those cues. I wish the series had more gunbarrel cues like TND & TWINE had

Wow. Really, wow.

Those cues effectively put a full stop on the gunbarrel. The gunbarrel should always be a segueway into the movie and it's score should reflect that.

To be honest, it hasn't been done right since The Living Daylights. Goldeneye and Die Another Day came close but failed to grasp that cigar.

Sounds like Spectre ain't gonna be smoking one either, as far as the gunbarrel is concerned.

LTK's is the best so can't go with you there.

Dear Lord. LTK is one of the worst. It does t even sound like the Bond theme until after the gunshot. Awful. Truly awful.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Nah, it sounds like Bond with the opening bars, just done in a very Michael Kamen fashion.
  • Nah, it sounds like Bond with the opening bars, just done in a very Michael Kamen fashion.

If that's what you hear, then that's what you hear. I hear nothing remotely Bondian until after the gunshot and even then it ain't great. After what is arguably the best Gunbarrel score in TLD, this one in LTK comes as a major let down.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    GoldenEye is the best gunbarrel. Which is basically a filtered remix of Goldfinger's gunbarrel. :D
    If you familiarize yourself with the traditional opening bars well enough, you'll hear it in LTK before the gunshot. What makes it different is that Kamen stretches out those opening bars all the way til Bond shoots, rather than finish it before the iris opens to reveal Dalton on the right. It's a very slowed down take of the famous opening bars and then cuts straight to the guitar, leaving out the section that usually occupied Bond walking towards the center.
  • Sorry but I am VERY familiar with those opening bars and they are conspicuous by their absence in LTK.

Any gunbarrel score that has tried to cheat those opening bars hasn't worked, in my opinion.

Dr No, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWINE all lack something that the other gunbarrels have. Punch perhaps?

The white dots and those opening bars in sync is what gives that adrenaline rush you hear so many Bond fans talk of.

I'm now off to see SPECTRE. I'll see how this all fits together.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 102
    Murdock wrote: »
    GoldenEye is the best gunbarrel. Which is basically a filtered remix of Goldfinger's gunbarrel. :D

Yep Goldeneye has a good stab at the gunbarrel score but is just a little too electronic to make it work fully.

When I heard Arnold had then got the gig for TND I was optimistic for his gunbarrel score as he was was basically a John Barry ape.

Somehow he fooled it up royally on his first two efforts.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited October 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Nah, it sounds like Bond with the opening bars, just done in a very Michael Kamen fashion.

If that's what you hear, then that's what you hear. I hear nothing remotely Bondian until after the gunshot and even then it ain't great. After what is arguably the best Gunbarrel score in TLD, this one in LTK comes as a major let down.

Completely agree Fitz. I just don't get the love for Kamen's GB. That's not the Bond theme, to quote Partridge 'that's just noise'.

Anyway aren't we here to discuss SP's GB?

For me after the shambles of the last two films it was a step in the right direction but no more.

The design was better but why is it so difficult to go back to the Brosnan era design which was the perfect CGI update of Binder's? So perfect in fact that they EON themselves used it as the logo for the 50th anniversary but not perfect enough to use in their films? Go figure.

Again Daniel's walk too fast and seemed unnatural. CR still his best by a million miles.

Looks like we're stuck now with this blood which is subject to a force of gravity about 5 times what it is on earth and is sucked down the screen way too fast.

Still it was at the start and the music was decent so I can't complain too much.

Oh yeah one more gripe - let's have the barrel dissolve into the action. I don't need some caption about the day of the dead. Just the city will do fine thanks.

• ra7968 wrote: »
    what do you guys mean when you say "cue"?

The cue in question is David Arnold's gunbarrel closer. And it really is a closer. To get the idea, imagine you were playing a James Bond computer game and your character dies. David Arnold's cue would be what you would hear. It should be nowhere near a gunbarrel score.

Just 40 minutes to go before I can analyse SPECTRE's properly.

Completely agree Fitz. I just don't get the love for Kamen's GB. That's not the Bond theme, to quote Partridge 'that's just noise'.

For me after the shambles of the last two films it was a step in the right direction but no more.

The design was better but why is it so difficult to go back to the Brosnan era design which was the perfect CGI update of Binder's? So perfect in fact that they EON themselves used it as the logo for the 50th anniversary but not perfect enough to use in their films? Go figure.

Again Daniel's walk too fast and seemed unnatural. CR still his best by a million miles.

Looks like we're stuck now with this blood which is subject to a force of gravity about 5 times what it is on earth and is sucked down the screen way too fast.

Still it was at the start and the music was decent so I can't complain too much.

Oh yeah one more gripe - let's have the barrel dissolve into the action. I don't need some caption about the day of the dead. Just the city will do fine thanks.

Indeed. As I said before, a poster on here has created a fantastic DC gunbarrel. I imagine this was done without the technology afforded to Eon too.

It baffles me that Eon can't, or perhaps won't, give us something that works much better than what we have been served on the previous two films.
    Kamen does stretch those opening bars, omitting the Bond rhythm section that accompanies the walk. Whereas Serra provides a traditional gunbarrel score, in which the usual post gun shot melody is played on what sounds like a tympani. The conclusion to that melody where the iris opens is omitted, where in LTK it's sped up. Both unusual arrangements.
    The two Arnold's that followed used completely different sections of the Bond theme and to me lost it's impact. I'd agree that TLD was the last time we got a truly traditional gunbarrel. DAD would be closest, except the melody is only played once due to the fact the Brosnan scene runs a little shorter. I wouldn't mind so much it being mixed up once in awhile, but, dang, TLD was a loooooooong time ago.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Indeed. As I said before, a poster on here has created a fantastic DC gubbarrel. I imagine this was done without the technology afforded to Eon too.

It baffles me that Eon can't, or perhaps won't, give us something that works much better than we have been served on the previous two films.

I agree with you on the Arnold cues too. Solid GB design undermined by poor musical decisions. And don't get me started on GE's dirge. After 6 years without a film we get this rousing rendition of the Bond theme played by someone banging a pan with a wooden spoon?

It really isn't rocket science. If you are stuck just go back to FRWL (incidentally a maxim that you could do worse to follow for all aspects of making a Bond film).

Still musically SP is probably the best GB we've had since TLD (I'm discounting CR's sumptuous kick-in-the-bollocks opening bars) so it's only taken 28 years to get back on track.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 8,000
    Sorry but I am VERY familiar with those opening bars and they are conspicuous by their absence in LTK.

Any gunbarrel score that has tried to cheat those opening bars hasn't worked, in my opinion.

Dr No, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWINE all lack something that the other gunbarrels have. Punch perhaps?

The white dots and those opening bars in sync is what gives that adrenaline rush you hear so many Bond fans talk of.

I'm now off to see SPECTRE. I'll see how this all fits together.

Basically you want a certain rendition of the Bond theme that is more or less the same as what's heard in all Bond films other than the ones you named on that list. Fair enough.

As for me, I always appreciate variety in Bond films. It's always interesting to shake things up, and I assume that's exactly why EON hasn't stayed rigid about it. I don't always agree with the choices, but it's much more interesting to talk about, otherwise all we'd have to say is "yup, same gun barrel, same animation, same timing in music, ect".

I actually like that they're not using the animation of the Brosnan CGI gun barrel, opting to go old school the way Maurice Binder got it done from 1962-1989, though this time it ends much like FRWL with the cut to black instead of a transition or hard cut to scene that GF and TB established.

Indeed. As I said before, a poster on here has created a fantastic DC gubbarrel. I imagine this was done without the technology afforded to Eon too.

It baffles me that Eon can't, or perhaps won't, give us something that works much better than we have been served on the previous two films.

I agree with you on the Arnold cues too. Solid GB design undermined by poor musical decisions. And don't get me started on GE's dirge. After 6 years without a film we get this rousing rendition of the Bond theme played by someone banging a pan with a wooden spoon?

It really isn't rocket science. If you are stuck just go back to FRWL (incidentally a maxim that you could do worse to follow for all aspects of making a Bond film).

Still musically SP is probably the best GB we've had since TLD (I'm discounting CR's sumptuous kick-in-the-bollocks opening bars) so it's only taken 28 years to get back on track.

That I'm glad to hear. It's been awhile since audiences could cheer at Bond while he walks the walk. When the music is messed up it throws you off and you're too busy thinking WTF!!!!!!! Hence, the Bond gunbarrel audience cheer is gone. Glad SP at least makes an effort to correct this.
  • I still thought the design was a bit off. I much preferred the reflective effect Kleinman used for Brosnan, this one seemed a little too flat for me. That being said I think Craig finally nailed the pose. I thought the music was a nice segue in from the music over the logos, but I still feel they haven't gotten it right.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 1,661
    When they finally release a 3D JB film, expect the bullet to shoot out of the screen and you'll have to dodge it! ;)
  • Okay. I've now seen it. All my criticisms stand. Shame, cos it's a bloody good film thereafter.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Okay. I've now seen it. All my criticisms stand. Shame, cos it's a bloody good film thereafter.

C'mon you knew you weren't going to like it before you even saw the film lol.

No matter I'm glad you enjoyed the film. Another fan on the plus side.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    Okay. I've now seen it. All my criticisms stand. Shame, cos it's a bloody good film thereafter.

C'mon you knew you weren't going to like it before you even saw the film lol.

No matter I'm glad you enjoyed the film. Another fan on the plus side.

Haha, I did set myself up to be disappointed. Such a shame, though. It could have been so much better. Happily, the PTS was so good I forgot about the gunbarrel quite quickly.
  • Yep it looks the part but it fades out where that video ends, instead of tilting from side to side in classic style. Also, if you can hear above the morons cheering (who does that?), it also boasts that tragic David Arnold outro. Ugh.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    To be honest, I was just happy to see it back in its proper place. :)

That made the hairs tingle on the back of my neck more than it did last night.

I wish the audience I watched it with was as raucous as that one. We're mostly very reserved when watching films at the cinema in this country.

I wish the audience I watched it with was as raucous as that one. We're mostly very reserved when watching films at the cinema in this country.

You want moronic cheers to spoil your enjoyment of the film? I go to a football match for that caper. I go to the cinema to watch a film.

You want moronic cheers to spoil your enjoyment of the film? I go to football match for that caper. I go to the cinema to watch a film.

I'm guessing you would have hated it then when Bond unveiled his Union Flag parachute in TSWLM which had audiences across the globe standing up and applauding.
    DrGorner wrote: »
    To be honest, I was just happy to see it back in its proper place. :)

Me too.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I guess like many fans, Seeing and hearing the music, the hairs went up on the
    back of my neck. :)