SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,667
    It's a very worthy addition to the series. Fantastic to have ESB back on the scene and I love the addition of the scar and the cat. Some brilliant lines including the aforementioned "what the C stands for" and Bond's quip to throw the health drink straight down the toilet to "cut out the middle man". However overall the script is disappointingly weak and unoriginal in places, particularly Madeleine Swann's dialogue and the lack of development of their relationship. By the time he's racing through the old Vauxhall Cross building looking for her it just doesn't feel that they have enough of a relationship to justify risking everything for her.

The PTS is superb, from the beautiful opening minute's stroll through the parade to the tremendous helicopter fight. I like the story, it holds together a lot better than SF with far fewer contrivances and the way it brings all of DC's film stories together is much appreciated.

I'm incredibly glad I had the self-restraint to avoid watching any trailers or reading any spoilers; I saw everything for the first time this evening and it really added to the experience.

One thing that struck me predominantly is that this feels very much like Daniel Craig's last film. The ending is the one where he finally gets the girl and drives off into the sunset, having apparently quit the service, while Blofeld lives to escape and fight another day. It all seems set up with a new Bond actor in mind for the next adventure, but we shall see...
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    The film starts so well. It's fast paced and exciting. I have real problems with the pacing mid way through there is little dilect between Madeleine and Bond. There was a missed opportunity to show more of their relationship blossoming. It's so rushed by the time she tells Bond she loves him it feels like Lupe's moment. It feels like the train scenes have been chopped down. The film shamefully steals from The Dark Knight and Star Trek into Darkness. There are some amazing moments but there is a real lack of dialog and although Skyfall may have been too far on the serious spectrum, Spectre is a swing too far away from the good work done on Dan's 1st 3 outings. When he learns the Pale King is Mr White his reaction is not deep enough it should be more of a disturbing discovery. By the time he finds White he should have executed him for Vesper IMO. Waltz is creepy simply brilliant not comfortable in the link to Bonds childhood it's comic book.. Bellucci under used. I honestly preferred QOS I felt like Spectre was a massive opportunity lost after such a great first hour. It's over ambition. As a massive fan of the Craig era I'm very disappointed with the choice of ending. I thought there was also some real focusing issues on some scenes and over play with fade in fade out shots. Ben Wishaw was fantastic. I did not hate the movie just that pace and balance of story and action was off.

Dan's most comfortable outing he is ruthless and confident in the role more so than ever. I feel it's a major direction issue a I think Mendes bit of more than he could chew.

My thoughts exactly, although you are more generous than me!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Initial impressions before bed - damn good. Probably better than SF but possibly not CR in the Craig opus.

Highlight: Can't believe we got the torture scene from Colonel Sun! OK it was toned down a bit but still never thought we'd see that on film. Amongst the fabulous fan wank we got in there this was the money shot for me.

Lowlight - The score. I could see they wanted continuity so could live with the character cues for MP and Judi's M but the whole score was just copy and pasted from SF (literally and I'm not even joking here). Even right down to the shoehorned use of the title song for one scene rather than being woven into the soundtrack like Barry and Arnold used to.
    And I'm one of the people who thought Newman did a decent enough job on SF. But not here.

Need several more viewings but it's comfortably top 10. Quite probably top 5 but too early to say at this stage whether it tops FRWL, OHMSS, CR and TLD. The problem it has is all those have big chunks of Fleming to fall back on whereas SP has nostalgia as it's spine. But whereas something like DAD turned the Bond clichés into pastiche SP makes them feel fresh and original again.

PS - if any of you have got tickets for screen 4 at Odeon Whitelys at Bayswater I implore you to just give your tickets away and go to an IMAX screening. Even if you have to wait a week or two before you can get in. Absolutely fucking abysmal and the missus really had to hold me back from walking out before it started. Lesson learnt the hard way and a big come down after being at the SF premiere. Only BFI IMAX or the premiere for me in future.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just realised every woman in this film Bond had an encounter with survived.

Estrella, Lucia and Madeline.

The car chase was great, although it was slightly tarnished by the song and the old man driving too slow gag. The parachute landing was vintage Bond.
  • Okay, everyone, I have two questions. The first is spoilery but since this is the spoiler thread I figure I don't need tags: After Bond fights kills Hinx, does he say "I thought he'd never shut up"? It's my favorite line in the script and I pray it made it to the film.

Second, how is the Rome car chase? Very few have mentioned it which worries me a bit.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    That line isn't in it. Hinx only speaks when he died and there's no quip from Bond.

The car chase is mainly played for laughs, but that's not as disappointing as you might fear; I actually really enjoyed it. There are other far better moments for pure action, though.
    Okay, everyone, I have two questions. The first is spoilery but since this is the spoiler thread I figure I don't need tags: After Bond fights kills Hinx, does he say "I thought he'd never shut up"? It's my favorite line in the script and I pray it made it to the film.

Second, how is the Rome car chase? Very few have mentioned it which worries me a bit.

Stunning! However the humour won't be to everyones taste. I liked it, but I kinda hoped DC would see out his run of films with a more serious take on Bond, then the next actor would go with something a bit more fun.

I loved SP but it is quite different from CR and SF. Vastly different from QOS!
  • Thanks for answering my questions, guys! I'm really bummed that the "I thought he'd never shut up" line didn't make it. I thought that would have brought down the house.
    Okay, everyone, I have two questions. The first is spoilery but since this is the spoiler thread I figure I don't need tags: After Bond fights kills Hinx, does he say "I thought he'd never shut up"? It's my favorite line in the script and I pray it made it to the film.

The car chase is much better than some have painted it. Yes it's an action sequence partially played for laughs, and intercut with the contents of Moneypenny's fridge but suspenseful all the same!
    Gus82 wrote: »
    I loved SP but it is quite different from CR and SF. Vastly different from QOS!

That's what struck me in the final twenty minutes or so, that SP is very much it's own beast and not another CR, QOS or SF.
    Hinx last words were "Oh shit"

Car chase wasn't anything like an epic "Ronin" and in fact wasn't all "car chase" as there was interwoven dialogue with Bond in discussion with MP which moved the plot along nicely as well as getting Bond out of a situation rather than pause things for a set piece. The pace felt brief actually and not trying too hard to be that ONE BIG highlight of the film
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    I watched this at Marble Arch Odeon - really small screening but sold out. I guess the crowd were boring as there were no cheers. But we all laughed at the jokes but I thought it was strange they laughed at the end of the "what shall we do now" line when then they start kiss.

I really enjoyed the film, it did not seem like a 2.5 hour film - I did not check my watch or phoned and was gripped throughout. I thought it was much more entertaining than SF. Stephanie and Monica's roles were too short. I though Lea was great, but I could be biased! DC, Ralph, Ben, Jesper, Dave were all fantastic. Maybe I did not like Christoph or Andrew's characters as much because there were playing baddies. C's in fact :)

I thought the train fight scene was amazing. It was a great idea to not use any music for that scene. The title sequence tough was, er....interesting. Fire and octopus.

On they back to my hotel, some creepy guy was trying to hug me so I channelled my inner Bond lady and roared at him like Swann but using language that Daniel would be proud of...
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    leas_mole wrote: »
    I watched this at Marble Arch Odeon - really small screening but sold out. I guess the crowd were boring as there were no cheers. But we all laughed at the jokes but I thought it was strange they laughed at the end of the "what shall we do now" line when then they start kiss.

I really enjoyed the film, it did not seem like a 2.5 hour film - I did not check my watch or phoned and was gripped throughout. I thought it was much more entertaining than SF. Stephanie and Monica's roles were too short. I though Lea was great, but I could be biased! DC, Ralph, Ben, Jesper, Dave were all fantastic. Maybe I did not like Christoph or Andrew's characters as much because there were playing baddies. C's in fact :)

I thought the train fight scene was amazing. It was a great idea to not use any music for that scene. The title sequence tough was, er....interesting. Fire and octopus.

On they back to my hotel, some creepy guy was trying to hug me so I channelled my inner Bond lady and roared at him like Swann but using language that Daniel would be proud of...

All cool ....except the creepy guy part.

I told myself I would stay away but I keep reading fan reactions.

You'll live it @mcdonbb - the first 10 minutes are worth the cost of admittance. Rest easy
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 150
    All I ll say for now, is that it ranks as my Craig's second favorite after CR, and with further viewing it might end up as equally favorite! One of the best in the series. Of course, Craig is going nowhere.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    JWPepper wrote: »
    I look forward to Calvin Dyson and James Bond Radio review

Yeah! Can't wait for the Calvin Dyson review!

What is the James Bond Radio?
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Best line of the film for me was Bond in his apartment after he shows MP the video of M "You didn't think death would stop her doing her job did you?" But the video is unfortunately too short M fails to explain why Bond must go after Sciarra.

The fact they pitched for two movies back to back for Dan and Mendes to decline, it would also suggest to me that we'll see the cast reunited for a second part with OHMSS ending rolling in to a YOLT type mission to find the probably escaped Blofeld.

Tangier the Spectre base I also had an issue with. We already saw similar in QOS. Was too soon to repeat the big dessert explosion scene.

On reflection I think Spectre is a grower there is a bit of everything, it's a real shame the pace is a bit off and the relationship seems rushed between Bond and Swann. And there is a clear lack of dialogue. From what I have read so far I could sum it up as. If you did not like Skyfall you will love this one. If you loved Skyfall you will feel it's a step to far in the wrong direction.

Dan clearly plays Bond at his best when he's a wounded animal hungry for revenge. The love interest in Spectre was not required, the film should have focused more on finally avenging Vesper. Instead it was made to be more of "she doesn't matter now, I've got someone else I met 5 minutes ago". The love story does not have the conviction of on screen time to make you believe that he was in love with Swann the way he fell for Vesper.

I think it's time for a new script writer and back to basics. I'm disapointed at Craig and Mendes for not sticking with their intentions for a serious Bond I feel like they bowed to pressure from those like Cleese who said Bond is too dark, there are too many puns and too much homage just for the sake of it. SPECTRE after the first 1 hour is an opportunity lost in my eyes.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    The film starts so well. It's fast paced and exciting. I have real problems with the pacing mid way through there is little dilect between Madeleine and Bond. There was a missed opportunity to show more of their relationship blossoming. It's so rushed by the time she tells Bond she loves him it feels like Lupe's moment. It feels like the train scenes have been chopped down. The film shamefully steals from The Dark Knight and Star Trek into Darkness. There are some amazing moments but there is a real lack of dialog and although Skyfall may have been too far on the serious spectrum, Spectre is a swing too far away from the good work done on Dan's 1st 3 outings. When he learns the Pale King is Mr White his reaction is not deep enough it should be more of a disturbing discovery. By the time he finds White he should have executed him for Vesper IMO. Waltz is creepy simply brilliant not comfortable in the link to Bonds childhood it's comic book.. Bellucci under used. I honestly preferred QOS I felt like Spectre was a massive opportunity lost after such a great first hour. It's over ambition. As a massive fan of the Craig era I'm very disappointed with the choice of ending. I thought there was also some real focusing issues on some scenes and over play with fade in fade out shots. Ben Wishaw was fantastic. I did not hate the movie just that pace and balance of story and action was off.

Dan's most comfortable outing he is ruthless and confident in the role more so than ever. I feel it's a major direction issue a I think Mendes it off more than he could chew.

This is a very accurate review. I felt the same way...The tone just doesn't seem to gel with say CR....even though it's a direct sequel. More characterisation a la CR would have been most welcome. The car chase in Rome is also underwhelming compared with the opening of QoS which is thrilling. Blofeld entrance and use is also rushed into the film.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2015 Posts: 5,131
    Best line of the film for me was Bond in his apartment after he shows MP the video of M "You didn't think death would stop her doing her job did you?" But the video is unfortunately too short M fails to explain why Bond must go after Sciarra.

The fact they pitched for two movies back to back for Dan and Mendes to decline, it would also suggest to me that we'll see the cast reunited for a second part with OHMSS ending rolling in to a YOLT type mission to find the probably escaped Blofeld.

Tangier the Spectre base I also had an issue with. We already saw similar in QOS. Was too soon to repeat the big dessert explosion scene.

On reflection I think Spectre is a grower there is a bit of everything, it's a real shame the pace is a bit off and the relationship seems rushed between Bond and Swann. And there is a clear lack of dialogue. From what I have read so far I could sum it up as. If you did not like Skyfall you will love this one. If you loved Skyfall you will feel it's a step to far in the wrong direction.

Dan clearly plays Bond at his best when he's a wounded animal hungry for revenge. The love interest in Spectre was not required, the film should have focused more on finally avenging Vesper. Instead it was made to be more of "she doesn't matter now, I've got someone else I met 5 minutes ago". The love story does not have the conviction of on screen time to make you believe that he was in love with Swann the way he fell for Vesper.

I think it's time for a new script writer and back to basics. I'm disapointed at Craig and Mendes for not sticking with their intentions for a serious Bond I feel like they bowed to pressure from those like Cleese who said Bond is too dark, there are too many puns and too much homage just for the sake of it. SPECTRE after the first 1 hour is an opportunity lost in my eyes.

Again. All this is totally correct and mirrors my thoughts.....The Vesper Lynd issue especially.
    Just want to tell all the people that were convinced Scott was saying the line, "You came across me so many times and you never saw me" were absolutely WRONG. Now go and book yourselves a hearing test.
    andmcit wrote: »
    Hinx last words were "Oh shit"

Car chase wasn't anything like an epic "Ronin" and in fact wasn't all "car chase" as there was interwoven dialogue with Bond in discussion with MP which moved the plot along nicely as well as getting Bond out of a situation rather than pause things for a set piece. The pace felt brief actually and not trying too hard to be that ONE BIG highlight of the film

Still a bit undecided how I feel about the car chase. What saved it was the choir singing as the Vatican came into view and Bond's parachute landing with quip. That being said I think the opening car chase in QoS is much better.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I can agree, but it also has a couple of the biggest laughs in the movie.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 11,139
    It does and it's a good car chase but I think it would have benefited more had the chase played out more seriously.
  • I know the bond fans, press and movie critics all around the world wanted it, but to me the humour i felt was too much.
    Oh, I agree. I much prefer the grittier approach in CR. Infact I think they've
    gone too far with the humour, and would hope they'll hold back with the
    next one.
    At the moment I can't be too critical, as I'm still on a fan high. ;)
    Guess, you can't win them all. Its just, that people are used to DC films being more serious and will be surprised (pleassantly and not so much) about all the humour.
    I think the amount of humour overall was fine it's just that it should have been absent or toned down a bit in a couple of places.
  • Perhaps @DrGorner and @Germanlady i am being too critical, i mean i enjoyed it, but in my opinion the first few were something different, this just seems like a copy of the rest. I know the other films have been a great success and have a winning formula though.
    Don't worry yourself @shaigh1991 at the moment we'll only just watched it
    So our opinions may change, as ( with me anyway) I still so happy to see a
    new Bond adventure. :D it will take a few more viewings, and discussions
    here before it finds its place on my Bond list. :)
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Just want to tell all the people that were convinced Scott was saying the line, "You came across me so many times and you never saw me" were absolutely WRONG. Now go and book yourselves a hearing test.
    Yes, I think I need one! Was absolutely convinced it was Scott!