SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

• edited October 2015 Posts: 6,601
    Hey guys, I didn't LOOSE it ;), it was his way of solely watching out for the negative, (and I wasn't the only one seeing that) that I dared to critisize and I stand by it. I am not going after people having critical opinions, IF they are able to also see the good. Like this, its just seems very much " I dress it up as if I want it to be successful" but in the end, the way of the posts proves the opposite.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 220
    A Belgian newspaper claims it was invited to the screen preview in London (published in French):
    http://cinetelerevue.be/fr/nous-avons-vu-le-nouveau-james-bond.html?cmp_id=7&news_id=34783

Here's a rough and quick translation:

"Spectre" is a spectacular 007 but can't top "Skyfall"

Three years after the well deserved triumph of Skyfall (more than $1 billion), Spectre was obviously awaiting with care.
    We could watch the movie - screen preview - yesterday (October 21st) in London. The feeling is mixed. In this new episode, Sam Mendes explores again more the Bondian mythology since the hero is facing to his ghosts: childhood and Spectre, the famous criminal organization appearing in several episodes of this franchise mainly in Connery area. The director also treats the question about old school Secret Agents: are still they really needed during drone and satellite age? Is James Bond still a past relic or contrarily is it necessary due to the intrusive technologies which can be used against us? A fascinating introspection but sometimes it spoils the action: the movie is long, very long (150 min) and the pace is like a rollercoaster. We're also surprised by the fact that, Monica Bellucci - it was said many things about her presence - is just there for acting as figuration roles, three minutes on the clock, enough for falling into Bond's arms before disappearing: so frustrating.
    But, don't be afraid as well, the fans will get all needed ingredients making a Bond movie like stunts. A lot of this kind of things and especially the anthology PTS in Mexico which features a building steps down and helicopter chase. Daniel Craig seems comfortable as ever in the 007 suit, bringing out definitely a human touch and maybe weakness than previous actors were not be able to do.
    About the villain of this 24th episode, as usual Christoph Waltz acts very well: he knows some secrets for playing cynic role with perversity. If we left the screen preview with a little bit of disenchantment, that's mainly due to the very high expectations after Skyfall. Spectre, despite quite a lot of excellence, is too uneven for topping its previous one. It shouldn't prevent to get huge crowds in theatres (November 4th in Belgium).
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Hey guys, I didn't LOOSE it ;), it was his way of solely watching out for the negative, (and I wasn't the only one seeing that) that I dared to critisize and I stand by it.

Well when one fills the blanks of someone else who is only watching out for the positive, one looks like one watches out for the negative... That's how someone can twist a forum's atmosphere, by claiming to be the most objective and neutral while actually having a strong agenda. Others are then called "idiots" too easily.

About the reviews :

The tone here in France is that it's a divisive movie, but that its very, very weak Bond girl characters (the villain is also judged very weak) are more and more a problem when there is Rogue Nation now showing how a strong woman character can exist nowadays without having to sleep with the hero and so on (QOS really is forgotten it seems !). It's a movie for the boys, and they will love it : "their" Bond is back.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The love for Skyfall is just mind boggling. It's a good film but tge overwhelming love for it is something I find perplexing. Irrespective of which side of tge fence reviewers are on, I'm intrigued to see SP just to see why some feel it can top SF but then again, I think CR is vastly superior to SF and it seems SP is loitering closer to CR than SF and that puts a fat smile on my face.
    DAD. I was 14 when I first saw it, loved it, couldn't get enough of it. Now, I think its a load of crap.
    In 1970 the general consensus was, that OHMSS was a load of crap, so they brought in Connery again for DAF.

Today - for me - DAF is a load of crap and OHMSS amongst one of my favorites.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 498
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The love for Skyfall is just mind boggling. It's a good film but tge overwhelming love for it is something I find perplexing. Irrespective of which side of tge fence reviewers are on, I'm intrigued to see SP just to see why some feel it can top SF but then again, I think CR is vastly superior to SF and it seems SP is loitering closer to CR than SF and that puts a fat smile on my face.

If they say that SP Can't top Sf I am happy ,
    cause its the same people who said that SF Is the best which is very far from the truth
  • I was 8 when TWINE came out and that was the first film I saw in theatres, but I don't really remember what my reaction was coming out of that one. I remember being an 11 year old leaving DAD and being massively disappointed in the film. There was something about that film that my 11 year old self couldn't even enjoy.

CR I loved, QoS I was underwhelmed, but didn't find it terrible and SF I liked a lot, but didn't quite get the overwhelming praise it had been (and still is) receiving from a vast number of critics. I haven't been this excited to see a Bond film though since CR. I've watched the trailers for SPECTRE an absolutely embarrassing amount of times.
    Skyfail wrote: »

cause its the same people who said that SF Is the best which is very far from the truth

Precisely.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Precisely.

Depends on what you want I guess. I loved SF but it didn't feel like my Bond anymore when I first saw it. Since then it has but CR is still my favorite Craig Bond film.

The elements that critics are knocking with the exception of maybe the character development of the Swann and Waltz's character are elements I have been wanting back in Bond.

I agree now with most of the critical praise of SF although not to the blindless glee of some but I am not buying all the critical shots being aimed at SP. SP is forcing critics to lighten up to get the film and some aren't swaying.

But at 150 minutes Mendes should have been able to amply develop the ladies and villain.
  • mcdonbb wrote: »
    But at 150 minutes Mendes should have been able to amply develop the ladies and villain.

Not sure we'll ever know (even with the leaks), but is SPECTRE a two-movie project made into one ?
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Not sure we'll ever know (even with the leaks), but is SPECTRE a two-movie project made into one ?

No honest clue but that's the impression I get from some of Craig's interviews.
    I also think without seeing the film or studying the leaks that they abandoned many if the cliffhanger elements as well. In this case I believe that was a good move.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 39
    I never read the script, but I read the outline for the script that said Bond instead of killing "Oberhauser", he revealed who he really is, which the outline didn't say, and that he left him up to the authorities and left to Q's lab to drive off in the DB5 with Madeleine. You guys think they changed this ending?
  • EndCredit007EndCredit007 EGYPT
    no info about the Michael G. Wilson cameo?
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I sincerely think so
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

As Bond says in SP: "It's all a matter of perspective."
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 498

TripAces wrote: »

As Bond says in SP: "It's all a matter of perspective."

cue epic music
    http://nomoreworkhorse.com/2015/10/24/spectre-film-review/

The ante has been completely upped here and the car chases are faster, the fights longer and more brutal and the methods of torture employed by the bad guys is ever more gruesome. 

ezgif.com-video-to-gif-8.gif
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 4,622
    @mods could we have a thread for member reviews of SP.
    I know where to find aggregates of critics reviews

Maybe one thread could be for reveiws that include brazen plot spoilers and another thread for reviews that are written more like how a critic might write for the daily paper.

Forum member reviews interest me more than critics reviews. Would be good to have them all in one or two handy threads.

But of course I defer to whatever thread organizational decisions that are made.
    I want to know the answer to that one, as well.
    Wasn't there like an exclusive viewing of SP today?
  • Zekidk wrote: »
    I want to know the answer to that one, as well.
    It's just before the clip already released of C and M talking about the end of the 00-division in the corridor. He plays someone in Whitehall who shakes C's hand very briefly.
  • Nice to know there's a MGW cameo! SF didn't have one, if I'm not mistaken?
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Nice to know there's a MGW cameo! SF didn't have one, if I'm not mistaken?

He was, during the funeral service behind Tanner.

Really? Not according to my james bond encyclopedia I'm pretty sure
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Really? Not according to my james bond encyclopedia I'm pretty sure

Here's MGWs cameo in Skyfall.

K8drGFY.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    His cameo was meant to be longer, but was ultimately cut out of the film.
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,116
    Nice to know there's a MGW cameo! SF didn't have one, if I'm not mistaken?

He was, during the funeral service behind Tanner.

His cameo was shot but edited out. It was mentioned in several interviews and during the commentary.

EDIT: ok I see from the pic. Thanks for sharing. It's like "Where's Waldo" and I lost :(.

So here's a question for those that have seen it; how was Writing's on the Wall handled? Does it amplify the song for those who were let down with it? How badly was it edited down and which bits were cut?
    km16 wrote: »
    So here's a question for those that have seen it; how was Writing's on the Wall handled? Does it amplify the song for those who were let down with it? How badly was it edited down and which bits were cut?

Only one person on this forum has seen it