SPECTRE: Thomas Newman is Back! (appreciation topic)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I just watched Bridge of Spies. Great film, scored by Thomas Newman.

The film appears underscored....deliberately, but what we do hear of a score is absolutely excellent and seamlessly fits each scene like a glove.

Great work by Newman and gives me hope for the more spy like scenes in SP
    bondjames wrote: »
    I just watched Bridge of Spies. Great film, scored by Thomas Newman.

The film appears underscored....deliberately, but what we do hear of a score is absolutely excellent and seamlessly fits each scene like a glove.

Great work by Newman and gives me hope for the more spy like scenes in SP

I totally forgot about his score for "Bridge Of Spies". I most certainly will catch this film. I love some of the more grittier spy films, like "A Most Wanted Man" and "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy".
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Isn't this Piracy? You can download any of those without paying for it.
  • i checked out the entire BRIDGE OF SPIES score on google music. Its very good. Its interesting to hear a Newman score for a Spielberg film. I'm no music expert but I thought it began a bit like John Williams but then it certainly became more in the style of Newman. There were moments were it reminded me of Road To Perdition. A great score. Looking forward to see the film.
    Highlights for me are:

These three are quite Bondian imho
    3. Ejection Protocol
    5. Rain
    7. The Article

The two below are very Newman'esque but I like them too
    11. West Berlin
    12. FriedrichstraBe Station

There is a repetitive motif that Newman uses throughout all the above and I guess that is his 'Bridge of Spies' theme. I look forward to what he has for SP in this respect.
    I will be very interested to hear similarities and differences between these two scores. Moreover, the typical Thomas Newman-sound is a sound I really like. Let's hear which score sounds more typical Newman.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 2,598
    The Newman samples from SPECTRE sound quite good but I just wish he would put a bit more of a tune in the action track as Barry did but I suppose this wouldn't really be representative of today's movie scores. Nice atmospheric ending.

I like how's he's used parts from Skyfall. A bit of consistency is good in regard to this as SPECTRE does lead directly on from Skyfall.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy
    Bounine wrote: »
    The Newman samples from SPECTRE sound quite good but I just wish he would put a bit more of a tune in the action track as Barry did but I suppose this wouldn't really be representative of today's movie scores. Nice atmospheric ending.

I like how's he's used parts from Skyfall. A bit of consistency is good in regard to this as SPECTRE does lead directly on from Skyfall.

Let's wait for the rest of the 24 tracks. This Friday ;-)!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34570361

Newman's interview with the BBC, talking about SPECTRE and his approach to music in general.
    Tomorrow the full release of Thomas Newman's score for "SPECTRE"!!! I can't wait. Let me know if someone in here will buy the score online tomorrow on Amazon ok? I will be checking my SoulSeek.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'm loving everything I hear, but I predict many on the forum won't.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I'm loving everything I hear, but I predict many on the forum won't.

I am loving it. It overall sounds a bit more uplifting than the "Skyfall" score. The action cues sound more....rythmic, have more 'power'.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2015 Posts: 3,157
    What heck is wrong with Newman? Not a single reference to "Writing's on the wall" (I especially expected one in "Madeleine", which is pretty much a rehash of Severine). Choosing him for SPECTRE was a huge mistake, I don't care what people say about Arnold, he was a lot better because he understood Bond and he wove the song in the score, and he never used the same love theme for every single Bond girl.

We could have had the best Bond movie ever and it was ruined by Newman who was too pride and egocentric to use someone else's work.

The Eternal City totally sounds like Brave New World from Skyfall.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Walecs wrote: »
    What heck is wrong with Newman? Not a single reference to "Writing's on the wall" (I especially expected one in "Madeleine", which is pretty much a rehash of Severine). Choosing him for SPECTRE was a huge mistake, I don't care what people say about Arnold, he was a lot better because he understood Bond and he wove the song in the score, and he never used the same love theme for every single Bond girl.

We could have had the best Bond movie ever and it was ruined by Newman who was too pride and egocentric to use someone else's work.

The Eternal City totally sounds like a track from Skyfall, but I can't remember which one.

Six minutes of "preview" at best out of 100 mins of music.

I wouldnt moan just yet.
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,168
    Choosing him for SPECTRE was a huge mistake
    Relax. Although I would love for Arnold to return (and I am going to make that perfectly clear to MGW, if I get to chance to speak with him next Tuesday), it's not really fair to judge the SPECTRE-OST based on previews. The previews are not necessarily the highlights.

What I did learn though:
    The previews don't contain a clear motif. It does have variations of the Bond theme (track 24).
    If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed that this was a Hans Zimmer score.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”

I really think this is simply due to the composer and singer working independently. This isn't the first time in the Bond series. The singers that worked on LTK, GE, DAD, QOS, and SF did not work with the composers on their songs, consequently there were no references to the songs in the score. In the case of SF, it was only brought up in one scene because Newman incorporated it at the last minute.

We'll how much Newman puts the song in the score in SPECTRE, but I'm really not expecting much because he and Smith never worked together. Had Mendes had Newman and Smith work together on a song, I think it would have been more woven into the score.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited October 2015 Posts: 3,157

The singers that worked on LTK, GE, DAD, QOS, and SF did not work with the composers on their songs, consequently there were no references to the songs in the score.

Arnold referenced AWTD in Time To Get Out and Pursuit at Port Au Prince.

He even made a very brief reference to Madonna's song during the Ice Palace party and later stated he didn't weave her song in the score because it was impossible to get a melody from it.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 2015 Posts: 8,025
    Arnold referenced AWTD in Time To Get Out and Pursuit at Port Au Prince.

He even made a very brief reference to Madonna's song during the Ice Palace party and later stated he didn't weave her song in the score because it was impossible to get a melody from it.

The Madonna song at the ice palace (which is an instrumental version of the remix heard in the end credits) simply served as source music for the scene (as in, it's a song playing in the setting by a DJ). That is not David Arnold's work. In fact, it replaced this music that Arnold originally wrote for the scene:

And "Another Way to Die" did not appear in the two tracks you mention. What is heard is a melody that Arnold would use a year later in "No Good About Goodbye", not the Jack White/Alicia Keys song.
    Some pretty crappy samples however I'm remaining optimistic. There is definitely a Zimmer vibe to a couple of them, though.

That "Writing's on the Wall" instrumental is gorgeous, and by my ears it looks like "Westminster Bridge" is going to be the action highlight of the whole score.

Excited for my copy to arrive tomorrow.
    Remember: Appreciation topic. There's also a more generic "SPECTRE Music Topic".
    Yes I don't understand why some people put Arnold right up there with Barry. He isn't close and he doesn't work the main title theme into the soundtrack as much as some insist.
    Remember: Appreciation topic. There's also a more generic "SPECTRE Music Topic".

I was being appreciative, wasn't I? At least I thought I was.
  • Love this track
    edited October 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Hold on....I thought Newman doesn't do the Bond theme? ;)

That should keep the naysayers happy for a while....at least I hope so.

Great track imho.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited October 2015 Posts: 16,330
    I'm so tempted to listen but I'm going to hold off on listening to the score until after I've seen the film... The wait is killing me! :P

I really think this is simply due to the composer and singer working independently. .

The composer working together with whoever does the theme song - and him using the melody - should be an absolute requirement when they sign on for the Bond gig.

I am going through all the old Bonds now and the music is such a huge part of the appeal. The way the melodies come back is just superb. The absence of that is extremely disappointing.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'm really liking the samples I've if Newman's score.

It's funny posters gripe that Smith's song isn't in the score (how do they know?) but then just as many gripe about the song.

It's like "that song sucks but umm it better be featured throughout in the score :D).