SPECTRE - Press reviews and personal reviews (BEWARE! Spoiler reviews allowed)

Comments

Four Star review - https://t.co/cylXHrO0Eq
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,160
    "Sam Goodman ‏@ Very impressed with #SPECTRE. A blend of old and new that didn't feel forced like Skyfall did. Full review tomorrow on BBC's Free Thinking."
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    just came out of the screening. All I will say, it's rather disappointed. After the depth of Skyfall it's a shame they made such a lightweight and empty film.

Oh good then it's great escapts fun ;)

"Clare Patterson ‏@ClarePatterson2
    Fantastic escapism watching #spectre this evening. Classic Bond!"
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    just came out of the screening. All I will say, it's rather disappointed. After the depth of Skyfall it's a shame they made such a lightweight and empty film.

exactly my thoughts. :))
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2015 Posts: 4,043

Lots of people saying the opening shot of this is the best of any Bond.
    and the Barrel is back

My first thought, too.

If SPECTRE is not deep, but funny and light hearted, then as far as I'm concerned it's a far better outcome than I could have hoped. ;))
    If SPECTRE is not deep, but funny and light hearted, then as far as I'm concerned it's a far better outcome than I could have hoped. ;))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I just want to know one thing, what were the fist fights like and were there enough of them?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Lol ... sorry on my phone ..meant escapist

RC7 wrote: »
    I'll be seeing the film TONIGHT, so depending on what the embargo is, I'll be sure to post my opinions and answer some questions. Getting rather excited now!

I have an idea. To avoid spoilers I beg you to pick one of the following random words down below to describe your feeling about the film....to review it :-):

The random words:

"WOW" --- "WHY" --- "GOOD" --- "BAD" --- " ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ "--- "MASTERPIECE" --- "AVERAGE" --- "STUNNED" --- "UNIQUE" --- " ♦ " --- "OK" -- "FUNNY!' --- "PLEASANT" --- "TENSE" --- "OVERCROWDED" --- " ♦ ♦ ♦ " --- "GROCE" --- "...BUT" --- "SLIGHTLY" --- "ATMOSPHERIC" --- "COOL" --- " ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ " --- "INFERIOR" --- "TERRIBLE" --- "SURPRISED" --- "NICE" --- " ♦ ♦ " --- "CONFUSED" --- "BETTER" --- "BEST" --- "EVERGREEN" --- "CLASSIC" --- "DISAPPOINTED"

Ooowh, and regarding the gunbarrel back at the start? Please only mention this @Pierce2Daniel:

--- "YES" ---or--- "NO" ---
    No details about Daniel Kleinman's design for the gunbarrel, Thomas Newman's music for the gunbarrel nor the way it zooms out. Ok ;-)?

Please @Pierce2Daniel ;-)? Will you do the above for me?

Yes. My challenge to you @Pierce2Daniel is to post the three words (only three) you would choose to describe the movie, in the 'Production Timeline' thread. I don't want to come in here until Monday. Enjoy!

Sadly...he didn't listen :-).
    "Spectre review, first impressions: 'Perhaps even better than Skyfall'"
    standard.co.uk/goingout/spectre-first-review-perhaps-even-better-than-skyfall-a3096316.html
    "Right from a bravura opening sequence set in the Mexican Day of The Day parade, which features the greatest tracking shot we'll see this year until Innaritu's The Revenant comes out, Spectre shrugs off the weight of Skyfall's success and sets upon out-doing it."
    edited October 2015 Posts: 11,139
    Just saw #SPECTRE - Daniel Craig at his absolute best. Brilliant opening sequence. This Bond is going to be huge!

James Bond is back with a brutal blast as SPECTRE is the best EVER', says David Edwardswww.mirror.co.uk/tv/…

SPECTRE. Spectacular and essentially a greatest hits come megamix of all previous Bond films thrown into one.

#Spectre: Shags: 2 (offscreen). Slayings (by Bond): 20? I lost count. Zingy one-liners: Yes, and Ralph Fiennes has the best one.

Just seen #Spectre. It's brilliant. Funny & thrilling with a wonderful mix of classic bond with contemporary relevance. Fantastic stuff.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Although a fan of the Craig era I didn't want Bond to turn into too sombre and dark and I wanted some fun injected back into the proceedings.

I loved Skyfall but I didn't want another film like that and didn't think Mendes would repeat the same trick again.

He did keep saying in interviews that at the end of SF they were setting things up for it to revert more back to classic Bond but with a contemporary twist and these reviews seem to be pointing towards that and for me that can only be a good thing.

Can't wait till November 2nd when I'll be seeing it and then on the 7th, a holiday got in the way of catching it release day, I'll just have to console myself with Northern Italy while my fellow Brits catch it on the 26th.
  • I must say I am surprised at the many mentions of it being "light" and "escapist". That seems to be at odds with the trailers which have suggested a dark and psychological tone. Not saying this is bad, as I like fun Bond as well as serious Bond, just...unexpected.
    I'm excited at the idea of it being a bit lighter. I know it won't be too silly because it's Craig, but it'll probably be a good change-up from the darkness of Craig's earlier days.
    http://www.timeout.com/london/film/spectre
    Only 3 out of 5 stars
    "The 'Skyfall' team of director Sam Mendes and star Daniel Craig take James Bond for another spin, with messy but enjoyable results"
    According to the reviewer: Bond is "speeding off to Rome, Austria and Tunisia"
    CR wasn't actually that dark. I'm fact, I'd say it's the lightest of all the released Bond films he's done.
    Shouldn't be surprising to those who read the script that it's being hailed as lighter - there are portions that are positively Gilbertian (Lewis, not & Sullivan)
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    Dublo ‏@dublonothing 33m33 minutes ago
    #SPECTRE exceeded expectations. A beautifully shot film with a lightness of touch, humour & confidence. Best Bond in years. 5⭐️ #JamesBond
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    CR wasn't actually that dark. I'm fact, I'd say it's the lightest of all the released Bond films he's done.

It is definitly Craigs funniest movie, sounds like Spectre is going back to that sense of humor, and i can only appreciate that.

James Bond ‏@jamesbondlive 54m54 minutes ago
    #SPECTRE instant verdict: Solid 9/10
    Yes, hearing it is 'escapist fun' and 'hilarious' is about the most encouraging news I could think of. FUN BOND IS BACK!! B-)
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »

Totally agree. A massive common misconception. It just does everything so well.
    Yes, hearing it is 'escapist fun' and 'hilarious' is about the most encouraging news I could think of. FUN BOND IS BACK!! B-)

Seems like they managed to combine the dark and the lighter. Love it.

Hey you guys' video reaction

• Okay. Let's talk the gunbarrel. Those who have seen it, what's it like in terms of visual design, Craig's walk and Bond theme score?
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I'm excited at the idea of it being a bit lighter. I know it won't be too silly because it's Craig, but it'll probably be a good change-up from the darkness of Craig's earlier days.

My exact same thought too. I was afraid we'd get another dark SF2. I'm very relieved with some major paper critics like the Times loving it. No Bond is going to get 100% love, but so far the reaction looks better than just good, it looks pretty terrific.

• MansfieldMansfield Where the hell have you been?
    It sounds like it is still in the cards to be Craig's Thunderball.